357747posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different brands of letrozole

Highlighted

Re: Different brands of letrozole

Like you Gailey I too have been phoning round trying to access Sandoz.  I have been on Letrozole for two years and until my last prescription have been managing pain.  In two weeks my pain has escalated from my hand to all the way up my arm, back and hip.  Until now I had no idea the different brands made such a difference.  My BC nurse had told me stop taking it for 6 weeks which I am very nervous about.  Boots cannot tell me the brand I was using prior to this one which is Accord , hence me doing my own research  Been advised by several pharmacists that if my GP puts the brand on my prescription they will "try" and source it.  I am assumimg my GP will not allow Femera, because of the costs.

Highlighted

There is a very good post on here under the same thread from a member who did all the research into the brands and the fillers, can’t remember who though .
Highlighted

Femara is the original Letrozole but when the licence expires it opens up all drug companies to make a generic brand I’ve spent all my professional life telling patients that all the generic brands are the same as the original but now no way!!! Generic brands are all much cheaper but each drug company uses different fillers etc to bulk the basic Letrozole. It’s these that cause the problems.a month of Femara cost me £84 on a private prescription the generics are less than £10 (not eaxactly sure) so NHS makes GPs prescribe generically due to cost. We can only work our way through them all and decide what’s best for us.
Highlighted

I have two trigger thumbs a result of Letrozole, swapped me onto Extremestane which has made no difference 

im a beautician so this is really not good for me, I do wish I’d been made aware of this side effect! 

Extremestane is messing with my liver that’s no5 good either!

your post has really made me think I’m going to show it to my GP see if I can get hold of the real McCoy see if I can get an improvement! Xxx

Highlighted

I am just coming to the end of 2 months of Femara that I’ve trialed to see if there is a difference. I am certainly less stiff still have the trigger thumbs but the feet are now ok just the hands but much better. Next month I have a packet of Letrozole made by Sandoz which is a subsidiary of Novartis (Femara) so it is a generic version but apparently identical to Femara so will give that a go . I have had lots of trouble finding a pharmacy that had the Sandoz brand even a phone call to Customer services at Sandoz to check if there was a manufacturing problem there isn’t. Will update all in a month.
Highlighted

If they are really all the same how can there possibly justify the extra cost of Femera.
Highlighted

Would it be possible to post a link to your research. This site has been so useful been on Cipla for two months a feel 40 years older than I am. Cannot think straight and trying to do a degree. I now know what the problem is, also explains severe joint pain. I will now be having words with GP Acatavis or Accord.
Highlighted

@Darlainehoney wrote:
Hello all I'm thinking I may need to change my brand of Letrazole too. I started late September on ones my oncologist gave me at the hospital, I think they were Gilcrest. I am 2 weeks into Accord given by my go and the difference is astounding! The pain in my ankles, wrist, hands and knees wakes me up at three am and is getting worse. Sometimes so bad I wake up with tears in my eyes. I have had to take pain killers. Sleep is always broken due to early waking and I get up for work at six an hour after I've dozed off again! I find my self really flat in mood too since starting this brand and amwondering if its just a settling in thing or whether I should try my go for a change, back to ones I've started on. Thank you ladies xx (Double mastectomy May, oopherectomy end August.)

@Darlainehoney wrote:
Hello all I'm thinking I may need to change my brand of Letrazole too. I started late September on ones my oncologist gave me at the hospital, I think they were Gilcrest. I am 2 weeks into Accord given by my go and the difference is astounding! The pain in my ankles, wrist, hands and knees wakes me up at three am and is getting worse. Sometimes so bad I wake up with tears in my eyes. I have had to take pain killers. Sleep is always broken due to early waking and I get up for work at six an hour after I've dozed off again! I find my self really flat in mood too since starting this brand and amwondering if its just a settling in thing or whether I should try my go for a change, back to ones I've started on. Thank you ladies xx (Double mastectomy May, oopherectomy end August.)

Hi

Just joining the debate on Letrazole, I started beginning of April with TEVA brand and had the expected joint and muscle pains which have been manageable. Then one month I had Accord brand and within a week my hands were so stiff and painful so talked to the pharmacist who exchanged them for TEVA . Next suggestion was it try Actavis but apparently that company has now been taken over by Accord so what will happen to the  Letrozole, will it be the Actavis or Accord version?

I have requested a month of Femara to see if there is a difference but GP very reluctant due to the cost so has suggested another brand Advantage first.

For the last month I have developed a right trigger thumb which seems to be fairly common as well.

If I am to take this for the next 5 years I really want to have as few side effects as p[ossible. I guess the problem is we are all so different and its a matter of trial and error, even my Oncologist has suggested working my way through the different brands!!

Highlighted

Hi

Just joining the debate on Letrazole, I started beginning of April with TEVA brand and had the expected joint and muscle pains which have been manageable. Then one month I had Accord brand and within a week my hands were so stiff and painful so talked to the pharmacist who exchanged them for TEVA . Next suggestion was it try Actavis but apparently that company has now been taken over by Accord so what will happen to the  Letrozole, will it be the Actavis or Accord version?

I have requested a month of Femara to see if there is a difference but GP very reluctant due to the cost so has suggested another brand Advantage first.

For the last month I have developed a right trigger thumb which seems to be fairly common as well.

If I am to take this for the next 5 years I really want to have as few side effects as p[ossible. I guess the problem is we are all so different and its a matter of trial and error, even my Oncologist has suggested working my way through the different brands!!

Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi, I just want to send you very best wishes and hugs.
xx
Highlighted

Hi everyone. I have been reading your posts ever since I was diagnosed in May. I have responded to a couple and sent hugs but so far have had little to say as my treatment has gone really well. I was put on a trial of hormone treatment including letrozole to shrink a stage 2 23mm tumour. Over 14weeks it has shrunk to 10mm and I've felt fine on Dr Reddy's Letrozole from hospital. Thanks to you lovely ladies I was fully aware that there are other brands and that they can cause havoc. So last Tuesday when the trial ended and the hospital said I now have letrozole from my GP the battle began. I have surgery on the 23rd of October so staying on the same brand was important to me as I have been fairly well. The GP agreed, then called later that evening to say no go on Sandoz. I asked to speak to another GP he was really arrogant and tried to say thet all brands were the same. Thanks to this forum i know that is rubbish and told him so. After what turned out to be a heated discussion he admitted Dr Reddy's were too expensive but gave me a prescription for one month to get me through surgery. I have now been told Dr Reddy's is made in India and has been withdrawn from the market due to poor quality control.  So back to square one. Last night I took the first Sandoz and hot flushes kept me awake and I'm suffering again this morning. I am scared to find out what comes next. Sorry for such a long rant. I know I have been lucky so far. Love and hugs to you all. X

Highlighted

Hi, I switched from Actavis Letrozole to the Accord brand about six months or so ago.I was on Cipla for about a year . I find it hard to believe that there is a difference between the brands but it seems to be the case. I wonder if time comes into the equation as well. It has been 2 years 4 months since I started Letrozole. I sleep quite well , probably because I  get very tired these days. I seem to have got a bit of my 'mojo' back recently and am a bit more motivated to do things.

When I first started Letrozole I had very heavy sweats in the night, absolutely drenched .They stopped as suddenly as they started after about six weeks. I feel that maybe the body settles down a bit in time although I realise that younger ladies may have more symptoms as they have more oestrogen in their bodies to start with. I was 62 so well past the menopause. 

A lot of ladies have switched from the Cipla brand so maybe that is something you could try .

All the best

xx

Highlighted

I've been on cipla now for a month and only has a little joint pain to start, my problem is insommnia, does anyone else have this and is there a better brand of letrozole for insommnia.
I'm so tired, I go back to work next week and honestly thinking of stopping taking them.
Michelle xxx
Highlighted

Yes am on Adcal ..love them as they are lemon flavour and they stop constipation too.
I'm also on denosumab bone injections as I have secondary bone Mets.
Hoping my chemist will get my accord brand back this month ..had Cipra for two months and hate that brand. I think the younger ladies get worst stiff joints than us as the pill stops oestrogen and the younger they are the more effects .
Carolyn xxx
Highlighted

Hi Carolyn

A few months ago I changed from Cipla to Actavis, I feel it is a bit better and my hair loss is minimal now.

I was on Cipla for a year so gave it a good shot, I read on here that actavis was one of the most similar make up to Femara. I do find that if I get a very ' creaky' achy day that a couple of  ibroprofen in the morning make such a difference and I am absolutely fine for the whole day. I don't take them every day.

My day has a very slow start just like yours, priorities change hugely don't they!

Are you on adcal as well as cod liver oil?

xx

Highlighted

Hello happy boobs
I wonder if I should take it last thing at night too and sleep through the side effects ..always have taken it morning's .
I always take cod liver oil every morning ..a few months ago I went away and forgot them ..gosh didn't my joints creak just missing a few days .I soon got back on them and the creaky joints got better.
What brand of letrozole are you on ? I find a real difference in them.
I'm 64 and retired too ...don't know how I would cope with working and being out of the house at 7.30am like I used to for 26 years !! Now it's two coffees in pjs before I think about the day ahead.
Carolyn xxx
Highlighted

Hi EvieB,

I have been on Letrozole since July 2015 and I remember getting throbbing pains in my feet and ankles which was helped by rubbing them.

It doesn't happen now unless I have a very heavy day. I also woke with very heavy night sweats but these stopped as suddenly as they started after about six weeks.

I feel that I can cope with the side effects that I do get.....stiff joints etc if I and my family lower expections on myself. I am 63 and am lucky in that I don't have to work. I really feel for the younger ladies with families to care for who might find it more difficult to cope with any side effects.

I look after the grandchildren sometimes but am finding it a bit of a struggle. I do not want to tell my son and daughter that I can't cope but I do get rather tired.

I take glucosamine and adcal d3.

I don't take cod liver oil as I wondered if I would be getting too much vit d. I keep meaning to ask a doctor if I should or not. Perhaps someone on here has got the answer to that question.

I take my tablet just before I go to sleep, when do you take yours? I wonder if taking it at night means that I sleep through some of the immediate side effects i.e. Nausea etc.

I do not experience constipation.....more the opposite!

I actually think I sleep better on Letrozole than before or maybe I just get more tired.

I have to agree with the ladies that say exercise helps but sometimes it is a struggle to get motivated...it is usually worth it though.

All the best to everybody

xx

Highlighted

I started Letrozole Teva only 5 DAYS ago and the muscle pain is terrible.  I am also nauseous and constipated.  I hope this subsides.  I started Cod Liver Oil tabs.  Any other suggestions.

Highlighted

Hi Patsypop

I agree with you that the side effects of Actavis seem to be less than cipla, I started Actavis Letrozole a month ago and feel much better, my local branch of Boots seem fine about getting it for me although a year ago I was automatically given Cipla.

My legs do not feel so stiff and sluggish and lately I feel that there is a lot of time now that I almost feel 'normal' again!

All the best

xx

Highlighted

I think it is highly individual how we all react to the different brands.  I was fine on Cipla but then got Actavis for a couple of months and got a return of joint pains which only went away when I got back on Cipla.  I find the best ones for me are Sun Pharma and Accord which I feel fine on. Cipla is okay but I don't have any allergies so maybe that is why.   I have given up arguing with chemists and GPs about how different brands affect me as they all look me straight in the eye and tell me there is no difference.  

Highlighted

Hi there, just to say I did some research on the different brands because I was initially dispensed with Femera from the hospital and then dispensed Cipla from the local pharmacy.  Side effects from Cipla can be the same as the active ingredient of Letrozole, so a double whammy, this is because of the ingredient Tartrazine used in the coating for Cipla.  The closest to Femera are Sandoz, Zentiva and Actavis.  Sandoz is unlikely to be dispensed because costs are pretty similar to Femera, however, my high street pharmacy have been able to order in Actavis despite having Cipla available.  I have only minor SEs on Actavis whereas on Cipla the SEs were getting worse.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Hi Carolyn, just read your post, it was you that said about cipla and hair! I knew I saw it somewhere, I agree with you.
xx
Highlighted

Hi Judy, 

I changed my Letrozole a month ago from cipla to actavis, I think I feel a bit better.

I read somewhere , maybe on the forum that it is one of the most similar to femara.

I was on cipla for a year so feel I gave it a good try. I also read recently that somebody felt that cipla wasn't so good for the hair.

I don't think my joints ache so much and don't feel so stiff.

All the best

xx

Highlighted

I think you will find loads of threads with the same complaint.
I started on accord ..settled for a few months on it then got switched to Cipra for months ..then two weeks ago went back on accord.there is a difference with se ...
I spoke to boots where I get mine ..they said they buy in bulk for the best price and so cannot guarantee any brand unless doctor authorised it.
Basically ..I get more hair loss on Cipra but more hot flushes on Accord ..in a nutshell.
Highlighted

Different brands of letrozole

Hi ladies I'm at that point this afternoon where I don't know whether to be angry or cry the latter I think I am struggling with letrozole and joint pain especially shoulder at the moment I started on cipla brand which was horrible currently I'm on accord which is no better my usual pharmacist was away so I saw another one who in a nutshell said they are all the same doesn't make any difference which brand it's not the brand it's the actual letrozole that's causing the problems I don't agree because some ladies have changed brands and been better my next question to him was the pure brand femera he basically said unless you are allergic to any of the other brands then it is highly unlikely it will be prescribed because of the cost unless I pay for them myself any suggestions ladies I'm so fed up love Judi.