Exemestane

I was on Letrozole for 10 weeks and had mood swings, brain fog. Then my left hand became swollen, stiff could not move out bed without help strong medication and walked with sticks.  Been off Letrozole for nearly 6 weeks and feeling physically and mentally vastly improved.  My oncologist wants me to try Exemestane.  Would be good to hear from anyone who is on Exemestane.

Hi @Lochlilly  

Last year I was put on letrozole in May. It didn’t affect my brain but it did make my joint pain (arthritis) much worse, and I was moved onto Examestane about three months later. I’m afraid this had a similar affect and so in December they put me on Tamoxifen.  This was fine for a while but I then had hot flushes which woke me up several times a night.  The BCN suggested I stop taking it and talk to the consultant at my review next week.

I guess they all react differently with different people and it’s a case of trying them out, but it isn’t a pleasant experience that’s for sure!

I hope you find something you can cope with.  Don’t be afraid to speak up if you get side effects!  Good luck!

I got my BC in 2021, had complete mastectomy LT breast, no reconstructive surgery, chemo 4 cycles, no radiation (stage IIa). They got me on Anastrozole and took it for 1 year. Major side effects: join pain to the point of walking in a cane. I am typically active, but while at work it can be tough on sitting down for longer periods. I am taking now Exemestane and worried about it. I haven’t built on it for too long. Just started. The 3 weeks in between the two were still painful even on no meds. I debated a LOT to discontinue all together or keep doing it. Everything that I read, people that quit taking the hormonal therapy, the cancer came back. The only exceptions are the ones that completely changed their lifestyle. I am for most part considered a healthy eater, but I cannot be radically done with certain things. So, I have to take the pill, I guess. I pray it will not make me sicker than Anastrozole. I really need to push me to exercise daily at least 30 min during working hours, take vitamin D and Calcium (this is a huge one!) and eating as best as I can whole foods, no processed sugars, no processed foods. Turmeric is another thing that I will start incorporating each day. Helps with inflammation.