Goserelin injections and practicalities with life!

Hello everyone,

I’ve been recommended to have goserelin injections (Zoladex) every month as part of my hormone therapy treatment. I was given my first injection at my recent oncology appointment, and then advised to have future injections at my GP surgery with the practice nurse. 

I just wanted to know what others experience has been with the logistics and practicalities of having the injections and fitting this into your lives? Most of the time I’m hoping it won’t be too much of an issue, but I’m just thinking ahead to times when we are able to travel again, go on holiday, go abroad etc. How do you go about getting the injections then, when you can’t attend your usual GP practice? As an example, I’m hoping to go and spend some much needed recovery and quality time with my family after my radiotherapy treatment finishes and once covid restrictions allow travel to elsewhere in the UK, before going back to work. I will need to have my third injection while I am away.

How have other ladies gone about doing this, in their experience? Are you able to have it done at another GP practice other than your own? What have you done when you’ve been away on holiday or travelling abroad?

I have heard that some ladies do learn to do their own injections, however I don’t think I’m ready for that yet, having just started them! Didn’t realise the needle was so massive!

Look forward to hearing from you

Many thanks and best wishes to all

N x

Hi @nicklespickles  I started on zoladex in Jan 2020. I started off by going to the Gp, I would order the injection, pick it up from the pharmacy and then take it to the practice nurse to do it for me. I booked the next appointment at the time of the injection and also ordered the next injection , so I was always a month ahead.

When the first lockdown happened I started to give it to myself. It is big and it does sting but it’s much easier than making an appointment with the GP every time. I am a nurse so it does make it a bit easier. To be honest though it doesn’t require any special skill, you just have to feel confident you can do it x