Hormone Therapies and Hair Loss

Hi,

I am new to the Forum so sorry for the ramble! Although over the last four months I have spent many hours looking at different posts relevant to whatever stage i was at! So thank you to all who contribute to this .

I was diagnosed on Friday 13 March with grade 1 10mm  early stage  tumour. I consider myself fortunate to have had treatment during lock down . I had a WLE for the tumour and also an excision biopsy of 45mm of calcification and a SLNB. Margins and nodes clear. Had  5 sessions of radiotherapy and prior to that was started on Anastrozole and adcal as my tumour was ER positive.

I felt I had dealt fairly well with everything despite a few tearful days. My Husband was initially supportive but increasingly I feel he has had enough of my struggle with this horrible hormone treatment and is fed up with me going on about it!

I found after trying Anastrozole  for  10 weeks , it was difficult to take with various side effects, joint aches, dry skin, weak nails, mood swings etc, but for me the worst was hair thinning. The thought of 5 years of hair coming out is quite depressing.

I spoke to one of the fantastic BC Nurses and she got me an appointment to see my Consultant. When I mentioned my concerns she assured me I wouldn’t go bald and a lot of woman worry, but the hair thinning isn’t noticeable to other people. However because I was having SE and also finding adcal very unpleasant to take She suggested I try Tamoxifen. AS I am post menopausal this is not the preferred drug but she said the recurrence rate difference was only 4%, so worth trying.

We discussed NHS Predict which I had done and she confirmed only made 1% difference if I took Hormone treatment or not but of course this is survival rate and not recurrence ! So I agreed as she felt as I had also had some calcification as well as the tumour in  her experience some woman just have a  “troublesome breast”.

So I have been taking Tamoxifen for nearly 3 weeks and feel more like my old self. Then  yesterday when I washed my hair I cried at how much came out.  I suppose I hoped this would be the answer and it actually seemed worse! (I had been to my hairdresser a few days before and had some colour on the roots and a trim and she though my hair was ok).

MY questions to anyone please with any experience of hair loss/thinning on Anastrozole compared to Tamoxifen, did you find one worse than the other?

Does the brand of Tamoxifen make a difference?

Is it too early to be sure it is the Tamoxifen (was on A for 2 1/2 months before switching) ?

Could this settle down or will it continue for 5 years?

Do any of the other AI have less reported hair thinning?

Sorry for all the questions but am really struggling at the moment but also feeling guilty to be moaning as I realise some ladies have had to have chemo and would have lost all their hair.

I have had great support from Friends and don’t want to keep moaning , so it would be lovely to hear form someone who understands.

Many thanks 

Jodonny

Hello Jodonny, I don’t have the answers to all your queries but can let you know my experience. I had a lumpectomy and 3 weeks of radiotherapy in 2017. I have been on Tamoxifen (wockhardt) plus monthly zoladex injection for nearly three years. Before treatment started I had really thick hair and lots of it. At first I didn’t really notice any hair loss but after a year I noticed lots of hair falling out after washing. I know we are all different but this is the routine that seems to work well for me. I wash my hair as little as possible and use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner (try Amazon, Toni and Guy or TK Maxx). I try not to use any heating elements on my hair but have it coloured as and when needed. I also use Weleda revitalising hair tonic (H&B) every day and I find this promotes hair growth. There has also been lots of discussions on the forum regarding different brands of Tamoxifen so might be worth trying a different one and see if that helps. Regards. Michele