How is it decided which drug to prescribe

I am post monpausal and I can see there are at least 3 drugs which are given to ladies like me.

How does the consultant decide which is best for each patient?

My followup in is October so I would like to be able to rememeber to ask the right questions!

Ar they all as horrible as they sound?

willowherb

I have been on tamoxifen for nearly two years now.  I am post manopausal and the reason I was put on that was because it is kinder on the bone density which is better for me as I have osteoporosis of the spine.  I have a bone density test every two years so that it can be monitored, the first was a month before i was diagnosed and was as a result of my mum having it and her doctor suggested I had one.  As a result of it I am on a combined vit d/calcium tablet which I take twice a day.  Just had my second scan a few months ago and all is good there is no deterioration.

WHat you need to remember is that everyone is different.  Some ladies have absolutely no side effects at all and other will have some or a lot, however you will find that the ones who have no side effects generally do not post as they are doing ok on it. 

On the whole I have been ok on it.  When I first started taking it my emotions were a bit squiff for the first 6/8 weeks.  I have a hot flush about an hour after I take it which last for a couple of minutes and I might have some during the day but not always.  Yes occasionally my joints ache, however I am 60 and they are going to at my age so I can not blame it on the hormone tablets.

Helena xxx

My GP has just agreed to prescribe me Femara despite being unconvinced there will be a difference. However having spoken to others they have reported less side effects on Femara as opposed to the generics. I am willing to give it a try as the side effects are pants but not everyone gets the same side effects and some are unaffected 

In relation to the others AI,s I think it may depend on the consultant. Been told that the NHS is trying to stop the prescription of Femara due to cost. Think it all boils down to how much it is. 

Good luck