363533posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before treatment begins

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How long before treatment begins

Thank you for that.  I’m waiting for a response from one of the nurses now.  I have the exemption card for prescriptions, which has been a godsend! Nothing has been sent through to my gp about the tablets, it’s all through the consultant initially.  I reacted badly against my last chemo so they wanted my body to settle down, so I expected some delay but I haven’t expected 7 months of delay.  It could be longer if my hormone levels are still showing me to be peri menopausal (blood clots while on chemo has meant tamoxifen is out of the equation).  And my tumour was 8/10 oestrogen positive. It’s all such a worry.

I finished chemo in October and started the letrozole a week or so later. I having radiotherapy now so started it before, not after.
Community Champion

Hi Sharon,
Do check this out with your team. From what I’ve seen here, it does vary but it’s usually started just after completion of treatment or sometimes before.
What would usually happen is the consultant will write to your GP with the hormone treatment recommendation for the GP to prescribe into the long term. So a chat with your GP to clarify this might be an idea.
If you’re under 60, you are exempted from prescription charges following a cancer diagnosis, so if you haven’t already, do apply for the NHS exemption card, your GP surgery will have the form.
It might be an idea to give the helpline here a ring or post in ‘ask our nurses.’
ann x

Sorry, I’m new to this and replied in the wrong place I think. I finished radio at the end of June 2018 and still haven’t started the hormone treatment. Is this normal?

I finished radiotherapy 7 months ago (end of June 2018) and had chemo prior to this.  

Community Champion

Hi Sharon,
It can vary depending on what your team recommends.
In my case, I was told to start hormone treatment (tamoxifen) the day after radiotherapy was completed. I did not have chemo.
ann x

How long before treatment begins

Can I ask anyone how long after ending radiotherapy &or chemotherapy did you wait to start the hormone therapy for ER+ tumours?