IMPORTANT - Wockhardt brand tamoxifen.

My friend has just gone to collect her prescription for tamoxifen (her pharmacist always gets wockhardt in for her) and he has told her that it will no longer be available from pharmacies other than hospital ones, ordered directly through the oncology department.

He wasn’t sure when this is coming into effect but it is imminent and he has ordered my friend a years supply direct from the manufacurer.

I haven’t spoken to my pharmacist yet to confirm but I have no reason to doubt her.

Got my prescription for tamoxifen today but cannot get wockhardt boots told me they have not made any since April and every chemist is out of stock. So had to have relonchem never even heard of them. Sh-t.

I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 3 months - first brand was Wockhart, currently on Teva. I’m very lucky in that I’ve not had any bad side effects so far - a few hot flushes but at 54 I would think the menopause was imminent anyway. No aches, pains, sickness etc. So I count myself lucky but just noticed that my next brand dispensed is Relonchem…should I really be worried? Are there any of you that have had a good experience with this brand?

I am due to start Tamoxifen but have nothing  had my first prescription yet should I ask for Teva? Looking at comments it would seem wockhardt is no longer an option and  relonchem appears tobe a nightmare for most people. Any advice very welcome. Thanks

Around 6 months ago was given Relon, horrid side effects, been on Wockhardt for over 2 years with just the usual problems. Asked pharmacist for his help and he said he would order directly from the warehouse, due to reorder soon so hope all is ok. Bit scary, hate Relon xx

TEVA seems to occasionally hit availability problems too, generally resolved within 2-4 weeks, I gradually moved my repeat prescription forward a week each time I ordered, no one seemed to notice, & now have a month stock in hand in case of problems. My onc also said 20mg every other day is just as effective as 20mg every day, because it stays in your body for 7-10 days, so no need to panic if you can’t get any for a short period. I had a bad experience with Relonchem too.  Just took it back & said I’m not taking this cr*p & they replaced it for me. xx

I much prefer Wockhardt to RelonChem because the tablets are coated and don’t catch in the throat and break up so easily with a horrible bitter taste.

I have been given the run-around trying to get them.  GP says can’t specify brand, chemist (Boots) says no longer made, Wockhardt says oh yes they are, but we can’t even tell you which wholesalers we supply (so i could go to the relevant chemist).  Went back to Boots and they told me their wholesaler won’t stock them.

Feeling pretty unhappy about this.  Surely they are not identical, if one’s coated and the other not?  Not surprised that coated tablets cost more, but why shouldn’t we get them if they are so much more pleasant to take?  After all, I expect to be on these tablets for ever.