cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal to fear scans?

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Is it normal to fear scans?

Hi Posden - I have just sent you a test private message to see if you find it. I get email notifications if I get a private message but I can’t remember if I turned on such notifications or if they happen automatically.

If you want to send a private message to anyone the easiest way is to click on their name at the top of any message, their name is usually in orange (or is on my iPad). Then there is a button saying “send message”. Or another way is to go into your messages - if you are logged in you should find a pink envelope in the top right corner of the screen, just above the phone number for the breast care nurses. If you have an unread message you will also see a little number 1 next to that pink envelope.

Please feel free to message and offload if you think I can help - I’m very happy to listen and try. 

Evie xx

Highlighted

Thank you very much Evie.

It really has been the year from hell and I'm punch drunk and overwhelmed with it all.

Unfortunately no sister to talk it through either. 

I am not sure how to private message on here?xx

Highlighted

Hi Posden - I’m so very sorry to read about the loss of your mum. You have had so much to deal with in such a short space of time it’s not surprising you feel as anxious as you do. If you would prefer to chat on private message anytime, please do message me that way.

I had some counselling sessions after my treatment as I really struggled and they helped a lot - I do have to try to remind me what my counsellor told me when I hit a rough patch as the anxiety is always there lurking somewhere. There is one thread on here where the anxiety was described as a “fear goblin” and I thought that was a good way to describe it.

Hugs and strength coming your way. 

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie,

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at the book. My mind and body don't feel like they're in my control at all at the moment. I'm grieving for the loss of my beloved mum shortly before Christmas and I think that's making me view everything very negatively on top of the normal fears you'd expect in this situation. 

Highlighted

Hi Posden - good reply from mini mad, I agree it’s very usual to fear scans. You might want to buy a book that was recommended on here and which I have found very useful - The Cancer Survivor’s Companion by Frances Goodhart and Lucy Atkins. The book gives various coping strategies and also explains that “thoughts aren’t facts. A worried thought is just your interpretation, it is not a fact”. Of course it’s easier said than done to stop worrying, but the book gives some ways to “tame” your fears. Or maybe see if you can get some counselling?

Sending you big hugs as you recover from the op and have the ANC/scans.

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi mini mad

It's torturous isn't it? All this checking and then waiting for results and decisions. Your mind goes automatically (in many cases) to the scariest scenarios. I'm really struggling with it at the moment. I bet it doesn't really get any easier either for most of us x

Highlighted

Hey Posden,

no its not unusual to worry about scans,  show me someone who isnt..... me included so ur not alone.  I had a head scan because of a continual headache during my chemo...convinced they would find a brain tumour.  Thankfully it was clear x

try n stay strong npositive.    Mini mad xx 💖💖

Highlighted

Is it normal to fear scans?

Hi everyone, 

I am still fairly new to process - had mastectomy 4 weeks ago and going back for ANC  following positive node. 

I wondered,  is it normal to be petrified at the thought of body scans, because you fear they'll tell you it's spread and it's all over you? 

I've more or less convinced myself if they scan me I'll have bad news. I'm breaking out in a sweat at the thought. 

Is this fairly normal? 

Ps. Sorry it's in wrong thread- don't know how to change it!