Just Beginning Exemestane and Need Encouragement

This is all so new to me. I am 68 and went for a routine mammogram March 4. It turned out NOT to be routine. A biopsy that day showed stage 1 very small ER+ tumor. Had oncoplasty April 9th with IORT (radiation during surgery). Both breasts were reduced during surgery. It took 12 weeks for my incision to completely close.

I just took my 1st exemestane last night. I am supposed to take 1 every other night for 6 weeks and then begin daily. I have been dealing with menopause symptoms for about 20 years. Last period was 14 years ago. Some symptoms have decreased in frequency–liked the hot flashes and moodiness and some symptoms continue–like insomnia–mostly waking every 1-2 hours. Will exemestane start it all over??

I teach 2nd grade and school begins in 2 weeks. What can I expect with this drug? Does anybody have any encouraging stories about working fulltime and being on exemestane?

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this forum.

I’m on goserelin and exemestane, and found the sudden induced menopause quite intense,  but I worked throughout. At times the insomnia and fatigue meant I worked shorter days than usual, or that I rested mid-afternoon and worked a little in the evening (easier with an office job as there’s endless email to deal with).

I had quite bad joint pain but it’s ok at the moment (I think because it’s warmer and I’m exercising regularly). I still wake every few hours most nights but usually fall asleep again quickly, but my insomnia is really sensitive to stress and if there’s anything to worry about I won’t fall asleep again as quickly, which can lead to tiredness if it goes on for a few nights.

Exemestane would mean that the last bits of oestrogen left after menopause will go, but the change shouldn’t be anything like as much as menopause for you.