Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letrozole/Hair

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted

Re: Letrozole/Hair

Hi Maxie,

I see nobody has replied, and it may be for the same reason I didn't reply - just don't know what to say.

I have decided to stop taking the Letrozole and Ibandronic Acid.  I am 58 and was diagnosed in July 2017, have been on and off the meds and have now decided quality of life is worth more.  My hair has also thinned, a lot, and my facial hair increased.  A lot.  My hot flushes and night sweats have been increasing lately, as have the joint pains and depression.  I am in a medium to high risk category, but the way i see it, any future cancers can be surgically removed and we can cross that bridge when we come to it.  I did not have nodes positive for cancer.  It also means that any further ailments that occur can treated as ailments, instead of side effects which tend to get brushed aside by those who promised to help us when they happen.

I cannot advocate stopping the meds, but I think if I were 72 the decision would have been a whole lot easier.  Oh - when I last saw the surgeon he suddenly decided I would need to have them for 10 years instead of 5.  I don't think they really consider the person behind the cancer.  Most of them.

Cathy

Highlighted

This is my first post  so forgive me if I make a mistake. I am 72. 

I was diagnosed in February 2016. A small tumor. Had it removed and had radiation  38 treatments. Started Letrozole on June 14, 2016. Had issues at the beginning but the hot flashes soon disappeared. The bones and hair is another issue. I take an enormous amount of calcium and vitamin D3. I use Dioxin hair products.  It has been under control until recently.  My hair is beginning again to thin and I am losing my eyebrows. I have been thinking of stopping the pill. I have been researching the facts and I feel 3 years is enough given my tumor size and the fact thst I hear taking Letrozole is only 60 percent effective. I have discussed this with my doctor and was told to finish the required 5 yesrs. Any comments would be appreciated. Thsnk you

Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh dear, you’re not having a good time, are you? Still, keep laughing, it’s the only way you’ll get through.My hair thinned initially so I keep it cut short for a bit of bounce . Also, nice gentle shampoos with a bit of thickening agent in. I also found a high end product which protects my hair from heat before blow drying. Plus side - no underarm air, and the Nanny McFee chin hairs just fall out! X

Highlighted

Hi, angie123,

I had yelled at my family about which one of them had shaved a Yeti in the bathtub before realizing a little later that it was my hair coating the bathtub and floor! I hope it doesn't all come out again. I thought the joint and gut pain, and everything tasting like absolute garbage were bad! I cried for an hour. 

I started Letrozole ten days ago...ftr 🙂

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Ladies 

I just wanted to share my experience..... I've been on letrozole for 2 and half years, and after an initial loss of hair, it settled down and now have no problems at all. In fact, after losing most of my hair on chemo, I have managed to grow my hair back to the same as it was before diagnosis.

Now I'm not saying that I don't have other side effects..... Fatigue and bone/joint pain are a constant challenge! But not everyone experiences hairloss.

Sue xx 

Highlighted

Jangar51

Thank you. I’ve made a note of Nanogen in case I need it. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Chick 

No worries, no offence taken. 

Take care 

Monica 

@Chick1 wrote:

Hello Monica, 

Apologies if I have unintentionally offended you. 

I am not doubting that your views/opinions/perspective can be backed up by research  and knowledge,  nor am I questioning anyone's credentials. It is a valid view point  amongst others. 

I was commenting on the definitive way the statement appeared to be made I.e. that adequate nutrition will not be supplied unless you have a 100% organic diet as well as a soil guarantee.

Best wishes to you, 

Chick 🐣 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello Monica, 

Apologies if I have unintentionally offended you. 

I am not doubting that your views/opinions/perspective can be backed up by research  and knowledge,  nor am I questioning anyone's credentials. It is a valid view point  amongst others. 

I was commenting on the definitive way the statement appeared to be made I.e. that adequate nutrition will not be supplied unless you have a 100% organic diet as well as a soil guarantee.

Best wishes to you, 

Chick 🐣 

Highlighted

Hi Chick

Thanks for the message, all my information comes from my text books when I was doing my degree then MSc in Nutritional therapy. 

So it’s not my opinion, it’s actually fact, backed up by years of research and study. 

Regards 

Monica 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello monicanatura,

I can see from your posts that you are committed to pursuing, what in your opinion is an appropriate diet and lifestyle. .  l am too and I also take some supplements at times.  However, I think you need to be clear when you are making some statements, that these are not embedded in fact,  but are your opinion.  

Hence,  below where you write:

"everyone is different,  today's diet will not supply all the nutrition you need unless you have a 100% organic diet and you can guarantee the soil your veg is grown in,  is nutrient rich,  then supplements are recommended" 

I think you need to add,  "in my opinion", to your statement. 

Regards, 

Chick 🐔 x

Highlighted

This was actually one of the side effects I found with Letrozole.  I've definitely lost a lot of hair on my crown....however, to deal with it, I use a product called nannogen which is a sort of keratin powder, that comes in lots of colours to match your own hair shade, and its a very, very fine powder which you sprinkle into the roots and it really does look ok.

There are similar ones, if you google hair thickeners it should show you some.  I get it from Amazon and it has really helped with my confidence.  Not everyone has this problem, and fingers crossed you'll not have it either.  I told my hairdresser about it, as I'm sure it could help other ladies going through this. Once it's in my hair it does make my hair look a lot like it used to before the hormone treatment started.  I think you can get it in Boots now.

Hope this helps. 

Highlighted

Hi Angie123

you are right, I saw 3 different oncologists, whilst undergoing treatments last year, they all knew my background is Nutritional Therapy and Herbal Medicine. They told me to do what’s best for me, even if they had said no to supplements, I would of still taken the supplements. My favourite oncologist is now looking into the supplements I’m taking. He was delighted in how I looked, and asked what I was doing. 

I know my mind, body and spirit, so having toxic chemo and taking toxic drugs would need the additional nutritional and herbal support. 

Every one is different, todays diet will not supply all the nutrition you need, unless you have a 100% organic diet, and you can guarantee the soil your veg is grown in, is nutrient rich, then supplements are recommended. 

Lots of love 

Highlighted

Dear All

Thank you all for taking the time to post.  Interesting to hear your thoughts.  My oncologist said hair thinning/loss was in the top three side effects of letrozole as reported to him, so I am already taking it as a given...

I would actually like my hair cut short - but I don't want to do that, and then find it would be better longer if thinning, and find it hard to grow again...  I really don't know what to do for the best.  I have cancelled having it coloured though.  I feel like there was extra hair in the shower this morning - but I could be imagining it, I really don't know.

And also interesting about taking supplements - again, I asked my oncologist about this, and he recommended there was no need to take anything in addition to a good diet.  

There are just so many differing opinions...  If you asked 100 oncologists the same question, I think you would get 1000 different answers.  It doesn't make it easy for us to decide what really is for the best, does it? 

A xx

Highlighted

Hi angie123

I started Letrozole a week after my last rads, my skin was very sore and the rad nurse told me to wait a week, Before I started Letrozole. 

My hair started to grow back through rads, in Feb/March, and it continues to grow and thicken, whilst on Letrozole. 

I am taking supplements as well, which is helping with my immune system, plus having acupuncture. 

Wait and see what happens, you probably won’t need to cut your hair.

lots of love and luck xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hello Angie,

Well done for biting the bullet so to speak.  You are not going to know what it will be like for you until you try it so I hope the side effects are mild and very manageable. 

In my opinion, I would not cut your hair just yet if you do not want to.  I would just wait and see what happens.  You may not have any noticeable loss/thinning and it is not a definite that it will happen. 

My hair on my head is important to me.  I had chemo before surgery so by the time I had started Anastrazole, I had a good head of hair back and was not prepared to lose it to Anasty as well.   All the side effects that are listed and that was the one that would be my Achilles Heel.  I will have been on it for two years this August and hair seems ok for the time being.  My Onco nurse said it was a rare side effect which the medication leaflet contradicts and lists it under the common side effects.   Mind you, it says weight loss can be a side effect too......oh yeah.......

All the very best to you,

Chick x

Highlighted

I'd wait and see as well. Choose your hair treatments carefully and hope for the best.

Highlighted

Hi, I have been on Letrozole for nearly four years ..... I think my hair has receded slightly but overall is ok. I am 66. I used to colour my hair to cover the grey but when it grew back from the chemo and because of the Letrozole I decided to not colour it again. I didn’t want to do anything to it that might cause it to fall out. I condition it well. So if I were you I would wait and see......

All the best

xx

Highlighted

Letrozole/Hair

Hello all

After much soul searching (and research) I started letrozole this weekend. My oncologist said one of the top three SE reported to him was hair thinning. So, as a pretty much off topic question... I’m wondering if it would be better to have my hair cut off short now, would that be better or worse for thinning? I know it’s not a very important thing, but I thought you ladies would actually have the best advice. 

Thank you. 

A