Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Teva tamoxifen?

66 REPLIES 66
Highlighted

Re: No more Teva tamoxifen?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum too, I've been on Tamoxifen for about 18 months and never seem to be given the same brand twice. Interesting to hear that the Mylan one has been discontinued 'cos I seemed most OK with that one.  I really don't get on with the Wockhardt one, I seem to get more and worse hot flushes/night sweats particularly in the evening. I've got the Relon Chem one at the moment which is OK. 

I've kept a note of the fillers of the different brands so it was interesting to see what was in the TEVA ones, my oncologist said most people got on OK with those but they've never had that brand at the chemist when I've picked up my prescription.

For anyone who is interested, the Actavis ones (ingredients mentioned by someone earlier) have the same extra ingredients as the Relon Chem ones. The Genesis ones are almost the same but have 'povidone 25' rather than 'povidone' - could be the same thing??

Mylan - mannitol, maize starch, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate.

Wockhardt - lactose, maize starch, pregelatinised maize starch, magnesium stearate, methylhydroxypropylcellulose, propylene glycol, Opaspray white (E171 and E464)

Tilomed - lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, carmellose sodium, povidone, magnesium stearate, potable water.

I'm always interested to hear of any other brands and what's in them, just in case I'm offered them next time, it's all very well me saying I don't want the Wockhardt ones but if another brand has the same fillers then I'd want to avoid that one too.

Highlighted

Hi Evie

Happy to help.

All good here, just had 4th annual mammogram yesterday so keeping fingers crossed for results. Always uncomfortable but gotta get it done. Hopefully one day they might invent a scanner that has MRI type technology so we don't have to go through this!!

Hope all well with you xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jules - thank you for that advice, that’s kind of you to let me know about the 10mg. I will check with my pharmacy and speak to my GP before my next prescription is due. I hope you are doing well. Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie, I hope you and all contributors are well. I havent contributed to the forum for a while, but just thought I'd say, yes the Teva 10mg are available which I've been taking (2 at one time per day), if you wanted to change back to Teva just get the GP to amend your prescription accordingly once you've checked with your pharmacy. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi topvan - and welcome to the forum. I’ve also been following this thread as I used to be on Teva but then they stopped making the 20mg tablets. I have seen that some people have managed to get their GP to prescribe the 10mg tablets, which I think they then take one twice a day instead. I haven’t checked recently to see if Teva have started making the 20mg again, but would be interested if you have any further info. I’ve moved onto Wockhardt which seem ok, but again I’d be interested in any more info that you or RuthN might have about other brands and the binding agents in case there is a better one out there. Xx

Highlighted

Yes, I have personally found that's the best way. Teva, Actavis and RelonChem are similar. If you want to list what's in Mylan, I can check on my leftover leaflets. 

Teva's leaflet - the other ingredients are: mannitol E421, povidone E1201, sodium starch glycolate, colloidal silicon dioxide E551, magnesium stearate E572, hypromellose E464, polyethylene glycol and the colour, titanium dioxide E171. 

If in doubt discuss with your breast care nurse or oncologist. 

Highlighted

Hi

I am new to this forum.  I have been on Tamoxifen 20mg for 6 and half years.  it is the Mylan brand I have been using.  It is now no longer being produced and I am anxious about starting another brand.  A pharmacist said that TEVA appeared to be the preferred brand (due to side effects).  The uncertainty is terrible - I will have to compare the binding agents of both - good idea? 

Highlighted

Thank you ladies for your replies. I did try getting a private prescription for Teva 10mg. It was very expensive, but only managed to get it for one month due to lockdown availability. This is when i switched to Letrozole.  So gave that a go, but struggling to cope with the SE, now I'm  thinking I would prefer to go back to tamoxifen. With Covid I feel the NHS have enough to cope with without me changing my mind every couple of months! 

I'm with you on how stressful it is every 6 weeks to try and find the brand you want again. When I was on Teva I had a lovely pharmacy that ordered ahead for me so had about 3 years without the worry. On top of everything we have all been through you would think the easy part would be getting our tablets! Love to you all. Xxx

Highlighted

Hi.

I found this thread as I am considering paying privately for Tamoxifen. I've been using the RelonChem brand for a while now - to reduce the aweful side effects I've been told to split the tablets to get a morning and evening 10mg dose. My GP won't prescribe 10mg tablets due to the cost (and also tell me they don't advocate splitting tablet!). However, like those of you who've been using the Teva brand, my pharmacist finds it hard to source the RelonChem, so every 2 months when my prescription is due I go through the stress of trying to get my tablets. This time I spent hours ringing different pharmacies trying to source the tablets - Sainsburys saved the day!

I find it difficult to understand why, when do many of us use Tamoxifen, there are problems getting it. 

Highlighted

Hi, I don't know if Teva comes back, but you can use following brands Actavis and RelonChem which have the most similar ingredients (I have found) and the very important factor that they don't contain lactose. Try one of those instead. At least the pharmacies have a few options now. I am using RelonChem and just restate on my prescription requests that these are the brands I can accept due to having no lactose.

Don't apologize for how you are feeling! We've all been there one way or another and it is just hard work, when we have to take control ourselves. All the best.

Highlighted

My pharmacist has managed to get tamoxifen for me again from last month. They are only making them in 10mg tablets so script has to be for 2 x 10mg

Dont give up. X

Highlighted

Hi, sorry just want to have a moan really. Is there any sign of the Teva brand coming back? I had five years on Teva with very few side effects. Since last September it has been a nightmare trying to find another brand that suits me. Having run out of options i was moved to Letrozole and that is worse, do the side effects get better over time? I now have pain in my hip, hands and feet. The pain in my right hip keeps me awake and if I don't move regularly my feet seize up. I also have dizzy and nausea spells. I am fed up with being in pain all the time and i dont know what to do. Sorry for moaning and it does feel trivial in the scheme of things when you read the news....  xxx

Highlighted

Another thing you need to be aware of is what it says on the prescription - pharmacies will only issue 20mg packets if it says 20mg, so in my case they had changed it to 10mg (take 2), so I had to get an amended prescription - don't throw the old one out though, as you might be lucky to find a pharmacy that still has 10mg packets, even if it's not the full dose; then they will owe you the rest. 

Highlighted

Hi, I am so sorry you are feeling so rubbish! The advice in the past (which was in relation to getting pregnant) is that you need to wait 2 months before Tamox is out of the body. So I would say 2 months is a safe period.

However with pharmacies you unfortunately need to ask around - don't stick with one pharmacy or they must at least try to order in what you want. If they can't get what you want, go to a different pharmacy.

If you can get someone to help you, great. But if not make a short list of some of your nearest pharmacies (and late night ones) - call them up to ask what brands they have in store and what they can order in. If you can't get through, then you may need to go to the store. It is worth trying ASDA pharmacies, Sainsburys, Boots, Superdrug and I now use one that's a late night pharmacy locally; they seem to have more in stock (called Olive) but I don't know, if they're a chain.  

In the Olive pharmacy we looked through the ingredients. 

The ingredients you need to compare are as follows under point 6. in the tablet information leaflet:

ACTAVIS - "The active substance...is tamoxifen (as citrate)... The other ingredients are calcium hydrogen phosphate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycolate, povidone, magnesium stearate and colloidal anhydrous silica" - PLEASE NOTE THE ACTUAL MANUFACTURER SAYS RELON CHEM, so Relon Chem may be similar or the same - ask the pharmacist to compare.

TEVA - "The active ingredient is...Tamoxifen... The other ingredients are mannitol (E421), povidone (E1201), sodium starch glycolate, colloidal silicon dioxide (E551), magnesium stearate (E572), hypromellose (E464), polyethylene glycol and the colour, titanium dioxide (E171)."

You can see from these comparisons that they are similar. Don't use a brand that has lactose in it - I think it was called Tillarem and I'm sure there are others.

I hope this is helpful and that you still have some time, before you run out of dose. Next time I need to plan well in advance for any more hiccups - the pharmacists know that there is often a stock problem with TEVA. 

Highlighted

Hello RuthN, I have been having the same problem with Teva. I also called the manufacture who told me 20mg had been discontinued but 10mg was still available. My gp wouldn't prescribe that unless it was a private prescription. So after debating about the cost I thought I would rather stick with it. Only to find they couldn't get 10mg either!! What now? It is so frustrating I could cry. I did find out that it can be made as a syrup form, but as this is made individually couldn't be guaranteed to suit you and only as a private prescription. Thanks for sharing another brand close to Teva I will see if my pharmacy can get that one. At the moment they can only get wockhardt which i cant take. Currently taking a break, but feel worse than when I was taking it. Is this normal? Do you know how long it takes to get out your system? Not sure what normal is anymore. I just know i am fed up of feeling rubbish. Sorry I'm starting to moan now, when i only wanted to say thank you!! Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I think it's the fillers they add to the tablets that make a difference to the side effects people experience  - some are a lot more sensitive than others to these ingredients.Some people can change brand without even noticing .

Highlighted

You're welcome, don't put up with the pain when it's a long-term drug. I think if it doesn't work for you, there must be something better! 

Highlighted

Thanks for the post RuthN. I will ask my pharmacist to try get in that brand. 
Ive been on the MAH for a couple of weeks and the aches, sweats etc are coming back. Sorely tempted to stop until teva is available. X

Highlighted

Only tried Teva and Actavis, as I have read so many stories and it's better for the body to stick with the same - it makes common sense. So part of the stress is mentally really! But why they make brands with different side effects is unknown - we should be advised what benefits they have compared with others, if they want us to buy into trying something different. I am known to be stubborn 😉 

Highlighted
Community Champion

This has been going on on and off for at least the last 4 years with Teva Tamoxifen - it's stressful when you have found a brand that agrees with you and you to have to deal with the unknowns of another brand .Some people don't seem to be nearly as affected as others by changing brands .Have you tried others ? 

Highlighted

Hi there

I don't know who will see this message. I have had problems today sorting out the next dose of tamox (not the first time), as I insisted on the TEVA brand too.

Another brand close to TEVA is ACTAVIS, so anyone on Teva try and ask the pharmacies to order that until Teva is back (if ever?). 

The problem was my doctor had changed the prescription to say 10mg (take 2) because I went on Teva 10mg packets, so today the pharmacies said 'we can't issue 20mg because it doesn't say it'. So I had to call the doctors back and get the duty doctor to give me a new prescription before closing time.

Now I've been calling night pharmacies around and one has a 'split' packet of Actavis, which means it's been opened but the pharmacy said it's all there, so gonna pick that up tomorrow as my saving grace.

It's a pain dealing with this again and again when the industry is not patient focused. I'm too anxious changing brand that I'd rather not take it, until I get the right one! Mentally it's difficult to cope with as much, I don't think they realize...

Highlighted

Hi. 
I had the exact same problem as you and also called TEVA. I’ve been told they have supply issues until March - are you having this issue again in getting TEVA?

ive been given another brand to try (MAH) and am dreading it as most others have caused debilitating side effects. 
x

Highlighted

Everyone seems to react differently to different brands. I came out in a shocking rash almost as soon as I started taking Wockhardt, so I was taken off tamoxifen completely for a month and then told to go and find myself a brand that suited me! I only chose Teva after reading other people's posts. To be fair to Wockhardt I was in the middle of radiotherapy when I started taking them & the rash may have been caused by something else, although it did go when I stopped taking them, and never came back when I was on Teva. Fingers crossed for the next lot! Good luck with yours.... 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Thanks Julieanne - I’d have been exactly the same if I’d called them! I must try again to persuade my GP to prescribe Teva, I’ve been moved onto Wockhardt. It doesn’t seem too bad, but I just felt better in myself when on Teva. Xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie

I didn't ask - I was so relieved they were still making the 10mg ones I didn't think to! 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Julieanne52 - thank you for posting that, that’s really helpful to know. Did Teva tell you why they have stopped making the 20mg?

Evie xx

Highlighted

I also have Teva specified on my tamoxifen prescription (I first took Wockhardt but had a bad reaction to that). I have a very understanding and helpful local pharmacist who has been supplying 10mg tablets for a few months now, but I was told last week that they can't find any more. I have just called Teva UK, who tell me that the 20mg tablets have indeed been discontinued, but that they are continuing to produce the 10mg tablets. Unfortunately they are currently out of stock of these, due to a production issue, but they are hoping to have new supplies available some time in quarter one of this year (Jan to March, in other words). I will have to try something else for a while (I have been given Mylan) but am relieved to know that Teva should be available again soon in case I do have problems with the alternative. Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else out there is having a panic attack at the thought of changing brands!

Highlighted

hello ladies,

Just joined up as wanted to reply to your quandary - I was told by the pharmacist at my GP I could no longer have Teva tamoxifen as was no longer available.  I did some research and called TEVA who were most helpful and confirmed they still produce 10mg (this was in July)  - went back to my surgery and said still being produced and I could take 2 tabs a day instead of one (not difficult!!!!)  There was all sorts of huffing and puffing and my prescription would have to go back to the Dr and another one drawn up!!!! can you believe it!!  The pharmacist also said it wasn't available through their central supplier.  Ah Ha here is the real  reason.  So back I went to Teva who said if the GP's pharmacist would call them they could get it sent to their distributer no problem.  More huffing and puffing and I got a call a few days later to say my prescription had been filled and I picked up my Teva 10 mg !!!  The reason I didn't want to change and made such a fuss is that I have been on it for years with no apparent side effects and it was the only dairy free tamoxifen and dairy free is part of my regime.  So, dont be told you can't have it and am afraid may mean a call or two to TEVA  - let me know how you go -

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi MarbleBengal,

I have Teva specified on my prescription and still can't get it, my pharmacy and others have said they cannot get hold of it, so after having 1 month of Genesis I am no on another brand, they said its all in short supply and I have to have what I can... great!

Highlighted

I have just been told by Boots that to order Tamoxifen Teva brand they would need a prescription with Teva stated on it. This is because it is a more expensive brand and they can only claim the cost back if it is specified by a doctor.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jenny,

Seems I spoke to soon.. just been to collect this month's Tamoxifen.... and they can't get hold of Genesis brand now either... said there is a real shortage of Tamoxifen of any type!  So now I have ..Relon Chem... eek.    I hope they are kind to me... its so frustrating all this chopping and changing!

Highlighted

Thanks Kip. Looks like I'll be heading to Suffolk sometime soon.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry for the delay Jenny I live in Suffolk,  seems we have Genesis here, well until I get the next lot then who knows what I'll get

Highlighted

Hi Jennyflorida

not sure which part of country you live in, but the genesis brand is very available here where I live in west Lancs.  when I was looking for my own brand this week at least 3 pharmacies told me they only had the genesis brand.

one of the pharmacists told me that supplies of any brand of tamoxifen are very low at moment across the uk....don’t know whether we can blame that on Brexit.!....but who knows why.

every time I pick up a prescription (every 2 months) I end up going to around 4 or 5 pharmacies to find a brand I can tolerate well.

Kitkat

Highlighted

Hi Kip

My mum cannot get Genesis tamoxifen any more in her area despite it being stated on her prescription. I am would like to ask you where abouts you live in case we can get it from your area. My mum is 91 and she has reacted to all other brands. Thanks in anticipation.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Morning ladies

WiltshireJules - that's brilliant that you are going to write to the paper and anyone else who might help. I've just moved house and am still unpacking, so I don't have time at the moment to do that - but I'm right behind you and will try to write to support you soon if you can keep me posted?

Evie xx

Highlighted

Morning Kip.

That's a shame that their response is so bad in what brand is given but I do hope that the Genesis brand works for you, I haven't used that one.

I agree re how this has come about at the same time as the HRT problem, again still needed so why give people the unnecessary stress. I am definitely going to write to the paper about this and I think maybe the powers that be too!!

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi thanks for your responses.  I have Teva written on my prescription but they just ignore it and tell me they get what they are given.  However,. One month in on Genesis and i think the stiffness is improving so am sticking it out for a while.  Theres been a lot in the press recently about shortage of HRT maybe this is going to be the same?

Highlighted

Morning All, hope you're all well.

Since my previous post I have gone back to my GP after checking with pharmacy first and yes they have changed to the 10mg Teva. The pharmacy have said though that this is also on a limited amber list.

None of this situation makes any sense, it's not like Tamoxifen is no longer needed! Am thinking needs to be highlighted in the national press, and am happy to write to them.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi All,

Kip - it's not a rant, this is the right place to offload. Can your GP prescribe a specific brand for you? I have Teva written on my prescription.

That said, I am currently trying Wockhardt Tamoxifen and touch wood so far I've found it to be fine. However, when I spoke to the pharmacist at my GP surgery she said that they are moving people onto the 10mg Teva Tamoxifen (taking double dose to make 20mg). I wonder if this is countrywide or localised?

Evie xx

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

I have been trying to stick to Teva for the last few months after being on various brands for the last 9 months. Now can't get hold of it and have been given Genesis... I've always had joint pain and hot flushes but they are so much worse now... I cannot make my pharmacist understand how I need to keep to one brand.. Even though it was written on my prescription every time... Sorry just so fed up with being told "tamoxifen is tamoxifen"... Rant over 

Highlighted

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed 2016 and following mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, I started tamoxifen. I'm writing because I believe the chopping and changing brands of any drugs causes SE. I take gabapentin and propranolol as well as tamoxifen and most months I am given different makes for each if these. All this change and I'm sure  because my body doesn't know what's going on. The chemists don't seem to realise or agree that we react differently to the additives as we are individuals. My mum was taking a drug called nifedipine but the brand called Adalat. She was fine on this for years until the chemist struggled to get that brand; and hey ho they gave her a different brand and her legs/feet started to swell really bad. I didn't connect the two but my 92yr old mum was convinced it's the different brand. GP stopped the nifedipine and legs went down immediately, but it's the same active ingredient, so the additives must work very differently to each other. Why is the severity of these SE from additives not known ? There are so many of us who just want to be given one brand and left to get in with it, not to be fobbed off with the cheapest brand each month (also, in the long term it isn't cost effective; I return the brands that don't suit me, but they can't be used by anyone else so they're disposed of, what a waste. Just needed to get that off my chest (no pun intended) as it frustrates me that the pharmacists aren't doing something about the chopping and changing and consequently, the suffering

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Lynn thanks so much for sharing this, that’s so helpful to know. Do you mind me asking roughly what area of the country you are in as different health authorities may be different. 

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi 

This happened to me today "no more Teva brand".... the chemist told me after being on it for 11 months. I found it to be the best of a bad bunch!! 

So straight back to the doctor who was extremely helpful and he changed my prescription to 10mg tablets (2 a day). Chemist didn't look to pleased (not sure why) but just had a phone call off them and they have got them for me

Go back to your doctors ladies and get them to change your prescription 

Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Jules - Thanks for making some enquiries, I'll be really interested to hear what you find out (especially as I'm in the middle of moving house and don't have time at the moment to research it myself). I haven't found anything on BCC yet, their information leaflet mentions that people sometimes suffer different SEs from different brands but I haven't found any more yet. Thanks again, Evie xx

Highlighted

Hi Evie

Thank you for your reply. That's what I understood from the responses here too. I'm going to make enquiries with my GP and the breast centre and will report back. Does Breast Cancer Care  here have any guidance at all? Thank you

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi WiltshireJules - I'd also be interested to hear if the 10mg Teva is available anywhere. I'm sure I read somewhere that it cost a lot more than the 20mg for some reason so the NHS may not allow it? I've just had to move to Wockhardt and am keeping my fingers crossed i won't suffer new SEs. My consultant was very dismissive about the various brands causing different SEs. Hmm....

Evie xx

Highlighted

Hello, this is my first contribution to the forum on Tamoxifen, particularly the Teva brand. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, was very lucky they caught early. I have had issues with brands other than Teva too, mine were mainly feeling very tired and sluggish when I took the other ones and headaches too. Teva seems to be the only one that agrees with me. Having read a lot of the responses here they say that the Teva 20mg is being discontinued, does anyone know if the 10mg is still available? Like someone said on the messages it's not like we have a choice in having to take Tamoxifen but would be so helpful to us all if they only listened to what's being said here. Any info anyone? Thank you

Highlighted

Only 1 brand of Tamoxifen and 1 brand of Letrozole is offered in Canada and is free. After TEVA, our government shift to Nolvadex, tamoxifen. 

For letrozole, I am offered ACCORD. 

Highlighted

Just like to say that I have used Teva for the last 4 years and apart from hot flushes and a few minor niggles have been fine on it. Now it’s been discontinued!!! The chemist gave me another brand to try and after an initial “getting used to it” seemed OK and low and behold they now are in short supply of that. They did however offer me Wockhart, which like one of the other ladies also bought me out in an horrendous and extremely itchy rash. I cannot take any of their products, probably why there is so much of it on offer. What to do now! Honestly, it’s not like we WANT to take tamoxifen we HAVE to.