cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Teva tamoxifen?

39 REPLIES 39

Re: No more Teva tamoxifen?

hello ladies,

Just joined up as wanted to reply to your quandary - I was told by the pharmacist at my GP I could no longer have Teva tamoxifen as was no longer available.  I did some research and called TEVA who were most helpful and confirmed they still produce 10mg (this was in July)  - went back to my surgery and said still being produced and I could take 2 tabs a day instead of one (not difficult!!!!)  There was all sorts of huffing and puffing and my prescription would have to go back to the Dr and another one drawn up!!!! can you believe it!!  The pharmacist also said it wasn't available through their central supplier.  Ah Ha here is the real  reason.  So back I went to Teva who said if the GP's pharmacist would call them they could get it sent to their distributer no problem.  More huffing and puffing and I got a call a few days later to say my prescription had been filled and I picked up my Teva 10 mg !!!  The reason I didn't want to change and made such a fuss is that I have been on it for years with no apparent side effects and it was the only dairy free tamoxifen and dairy free is part of my regime.  So, dont be told you can't have it and am afraid may mean a call or two to TEVA  - let me know how you go -

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi MarbleBengal,

I have Teva specified on my prescription and still can't get it, my pharmacy and others have said they cannot get hold of it, so after having 1 month of Genesis I am no on another brand, they said its all in short supply and I have to have what I can... great!

I have just been told by Boots that to order Tamoxifen Teva brand they would need a prescription with Teva stated on it. This is because it is a more expensive brand and they can only claim the cost back if it is specified by a doctor.

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jenny,

Seems I spoke to soon.. just been to collect this month's Tamoxifen.... and they can't get hold of Genesis brand now either... said there is a real shortage of Tamoxifen of any type!  So now I have ..Relon Chem... eek.    I hope they are kind to me... its so frustrating all this chopping and changing!

Thanks Kip. Looks like I'll be heading to Suffolk sometime soon.

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry for the delay Jenny I live in Suffolk,  seems we have Genesis here, well until I get the next lot then who knows what I'll get

Hi Jennyflorida

not sure which part of country you live in, but the genesis brand is very available here where I live in west Lancs.  when I was looking for my own brand this week at least 3 pharmacies told me they only had the genesis brand.

one of the pharmacists told me that supplies of any brand of tamoxifen are very low at moment across the uk....don’t know whether we can blame that on Brexit.!....but who knows why.

every time I pick up a prescription (every 2 months) I end up going to around 4 or 5 pharmacies to find a brand I can tolerate well.

Kitkat

Hi Kip

My mum cannot get Genesis tamoxifen any more in her area despite it being stated on her prescription. I am would like to ask you where abouts you live in case we can get it from your area. My mum is 91 and she has reacted to all other brands. Thanks in anticipation.

Morning ladies

WiltshireJules - that's brilliant that you are going to write to the paper and anyone else who might help. I've just moved house and am still unpacking, so I don't have time at the moment to do that - but I'm right behind you and will try to write to support you soon if you can keep me posted?

Evie xx

Morning Kip.

That's a shame that their response is so bad in what brand is given but I do hope that the Genesis brand works for you, I haven't used that one.

I agree re how this has come about at the same time as the HRT problem, again still needed so why give people the unnecessary stress. I am definitely going to write to the paper about this and I think maybe the powers that be too!!

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi thanks for your responses.  I have Teva written on my prescription but they just ignore it and tell me they get what they are given.  However,. One month in on Genesis and i think the stiffness is improving so am sticking it out for a while.  Theres been a lot in the press recently about shortage of HRT maybe this is going to be the same?

Morning All, hope you're all well.

Since my previous post I have gone back to my GP after checking with pharmacy first and yes they have changed to the 10mg Teva. The pharmacy have said though that this is also on a limited amber list.

None of this situation makes any sense, it's not like Tamoxifen is no longer needed! Am thinking needs to be highlighted in the national press, and am happy to write to them.

Hi All,

Kip - it's not a rant, this is the right place to offload. Can your GP prescribe a specific brand for you? I have Teva written on my prescription.

That said, I am currently trying Wockhardt Tamoxifen and touch wood so far I've found it to be fine. However, when I spoke to the pharmacist at my GP surgery she said that they are moving people onto the 10mg Teva Tamoxifen (taking double dose to make 20mg). I wonder if this is countrywide or localised?

Evie xx

Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

I have been trying to stick to Teva for the last few months after being on various brands for the last 9 months. Now can't get hold of it and have been given Genesis... I've always had joint pain and hot flushes but they are so much worse now... I cannot make my pharmacist understand how I need to keep to one brand.. Even though it was written on my prescription every time... Sorry just so fed up with being told "tamoxifen is tamoxifen"... Rant over 

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed 2016 and following mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, I started tamoxifen. I'm writing because I believe the chopping and changing brands of any drugs causes SE. I take gabapentin and propranolol as well as tamoxifen and most months I am given different makes for each if these. All this change and I'm sure  because my body doesn't know what's going on. The chemists don't seem to realise or agree that we react differently to the additives as we are individuals. My mum was taking a drug called nifedipine but the brand called Adalat. She was fine on this for years until the chemist struggled to get that brand; and hey ho they gave her a different brand and her legs/feet started to swell really bad. I didn't connect the two but my 92yr old mum was convinced it's the different brand. GP stopped the nifedipine and legs went down immediately, but it's the same active ingredient, so the additives must work very differently to each other. Why is the severity of these SE from additives not known ? There are so many of us who just want to be given one brand and left to get in with it, not to be fobbed off with the cheapest brand each month (also, in the long term it isn't cost effective; I return the brands that don't suit me, but they can't be used by anyone else so they're disposed of, what a waste. Just needed to get that off my chest (no pun intended) as it frustrates me that the pharmacists aren't doing something about the chopping and changing and consequently, the suffering

Hi Lynn thanks so much for sharing this, that’s so helpful to know. Do you mind me asking roughly what area of the country you are in as different health authorities may be different. 

Evie xx

Hi 

This happened to me today "no more Teva brand".... the chemist told me after being on it for 11 months. I found it to be the best of a bad bunch!! 

So straight back to the doctor who was extremely helpful and he changed my prescription to 10mg tablets (2 a day). Chemist didn't look to pleased (not sure why) but just had a phone call off them and they have got them for me

Go back to your doctors ladies and get them to change your prescription 

Xx

Hi Jules - Thanks for making some enquiries, I'll be really interested to hear what you find out (especially as I'm in the middle of moving house and don't have time at the moment to research it myself). I haven't found anything on BCC yet, their information leaflet mentions that people sometimes suffer different SEs from different brands but I haven't found any more yet. Thanks again, Evie xx

Hi Evie

Thank you for your reply. That's what I understood from the responses here too. I'm going to make enquiries with my GP and the breast centre and will report back. Does Breast Cancer Care  here have any guidance at all? Thank you

Hi WiltshireJules - I'd also be interested to hear if the 10mg Teva is available anywhere. I'm sure I read somewhere that it cost a lot more than the 20mg for some reason so the NHS may not allow it? I've just had to move to Wockhardt and am keeping my fingers crossed i won't suffer new SEs. My consultant was very dismissive about the various brands causing different SEs. Hmm....

Evie xx

Hello, this is my first contribution to the forum on Tamoxifen, particularly the Teva brand. I was diagnosed 3 years ago, was very lucky they caught early. I have had issues with brands other than Teva too, mine were mainly feeling very tired and sluggish when I took the other ones and headaches too. Teva seems to be the only one that agrees with me. Having read a lot of the responses here they say that the Teva 20mg is being discontinued, does anyone know if the 10mg is still available? Like someone said on the messages it's not like we have a choice in having to take Tamoxifen but would be so helpful to us all if they only listened to what's being said here. Any info anyone? Thank you

Only 1 brand of Tamoxifen and 1 brand of Letrozole is offered in Canada and is free. After TEVA, our government shift to Nolvadex, tamoxifen. 

For letrozole, I am offered ACCORD. 

Just like to say that I have used Teva for the last 4 years and apart from hot flushes and a few minor niggles have been fine on it. Now it’s been discontinued!!! The chemist gave me another brand to try and after an initial “getting used to it” seemed OK and low and behold they now are in short supply of that. They did however offer me Wockhart, which like one of the other ladies also bought me out in an horrendous and extremely itchy rash. I cannot take any of their products, probably why there is so much of it on offer. What to do now! Honestly, it’s not like we WANT to take tamoxifen we HAVE to.

Hi All,

I was originally on the Teva brand of tamoxifen and took that for 11 months. No major issues just the expected hot flushes. As Teva no longer make the 20 mg tablet I've swapped to the Wockhart version of Tamoxifen. The pharmacy were very helpful and checked the "other ingredients" to see which of the 2 available brands was the closest match to Teva.

I know in theory that their should be no difference. However within 3 days of being on Wockhart an itchy red rash appeared where I'd had the radiotheraphy. I mentioned this at my recent hospital appointment and was made to feel like an idiot because I said it's only since I changed brand that this has happened.

I was asked if I'd been out in the sun, my turn to look at the surgeon like he was an idiot.... I live in North Yorkshire and its not been warm and sunny here since Easter!

Anyway I have an appointment in 3 months to see if the rash has settled and in the mean time I've conducted a rather unscientific experiment by swapping back to some Teva tablets. Hey presto the rash went away. After a week I swapped back to Wockhart and what do you know the rash is back.

It seems to be worse during the gym sessions where I sweat a lot then it goes very red and itchy. 

Due to go on an activity holiday soon and slightly concern how my skin will react to some sun as I'll be outside more than normal, but not sun bathing.

Fingers crossed it gets no worse or settles down. 

Hi

Teva is just one of the brands of tamoxifen. There seem to be a few brands out there and lots of people report differences in the side effects depending on which brand they take, even though the active ingredient is the same. Teva has been better than Wockhardt brand for me but it may be different for other people. But now Teva have stopped making the 20mg tamoxifen tablet - so I need to try a different brand. Which one are you on? Do you have side effects?

Thanks

Becky

Hi there x I'm a year in the clear and on tamoxifen. Just reading this and wandering what is teva? Is it different? Xxx 

@KarenMc20 wrote:

I tried to get my prescription for Teva brand of tamoxifen filled yesterday but was advised by the pharmacist that Teva have stopped making it. I’ve contacted Teva and they’ve replied as follows:

Please accept my sincere apologies that this product has been discontinued and is no longer available for sale.

We constantly review our product portfolio and look at the products that sit within it. This is something we do routinely and the decision to discontinue any product is made only where necessary, due to supply and demand. Please accept my apologies once again as we do fully understand the importance of all of our products to patients and this decision is never made lightly.

I apologise that the only advice we are able to give you would be to speak to your GP in relation to alternative products.”

I have some Mylan to try but am worried about what new/different side effects I’ll get! 

Re: on Re: No more Teva tamoxifen?

Hi all although I am not on tamoxifen, I have been taking anastrozole since September last year, was given Accord brand since starting, yes I did get side effects, hot flushes and joint pain but on the whole found it manageable most of the time, then last month I was given wockhardt  brand and after a week on these I was experiencing severe joint pain and more hot flushes, carried on taking them for the month but spoke to the pharmacist and asked not to be given wockhardt  again, luckily I have been given Accord this month and although still having joint pain it has reduced to be manageable again. I am not saying I would not try a different brand but wockhardt  is horrendous for me, best wishes to you all  Eileen  x

on Re: No more Teva tamoxifen?

Hi I've just been told about Teva 20mg tamoxifen being discontinued. I've been on tamoxifen since Sept and suffered badly with hot flushes/night sweats at first. Think I was on Wockhardt then. When I went on Teva everything settled down (after a while) and I thought it was just my body getting used to tamoxifen, so I tried Wockhardt again (it seems to be the one my local pharmacy can easily get). But no, hot flushes returned quickly and so I went searching for Teva. Again it took a while for side effects to improve, but in the end they did.

So I'm not at all keen on taking Wockhardt, but I would value any advice as to other brands which might be manageable for me. I've been offered Mylan and will probably give it a try. Any others which anyone has tried?

Hi Yorkshire Tyke

Yes fingers crossed Wockhardt works for you - I’d be really interested to hear how you get on with that brand if you don’t mind coming back on here? I think that’s another of the big brands.

Evie xx

Hi Ladies,

I'm in the same position as you. I've been on Teva for 1 year now and had no major issues with it. Called in to collect my prescription last weekend only to find I'd been given a different brand which really upset me.

Contacted Teva and got the same bland corporate response.

Spoke to the Pharmacy and they've given me Wockhardt to try. Decided to try it before I completely run out of the Teva to see how I get on.

Fingers crossed that my side effects stays as they are (hot flushes) which I can cope with.

If not I will ask GP for the 10mg tablets

Arl

Hi,

I have been on teva tamoxifen now for 6 & 1/2 years, these are the only ones that agree with me, I have emailed teva, told me that they had been discontinued but 10mg are available for now, don’t know how long, waiting on doctor ring me tomorrow about this, the pharmacist said eventually there will be no teva in any medication, I said it’s a big company, but my opinion is it’s all due to cost, I got put on another brand been on it 5 days been getting really bad cramps and bloating in my stomach and the joint pain is much worse, I know I am lucky enough at having been on them for a few years, but the way I feel if can’t even get the 10mg I’m thinking of stopping. 

Hi Anne

Thanks so much for letting me know that info about Teva - wow that's a huge difference in price, I wonder why Teva is stopping the 20mg tablets. I'd be really interested to hear what your GP says about taking a 10mg dose. I'm going to speak to my GP/consultant too. 

Thanks again

Evie xx

Hi Evie

I was at the surgery today & my GP is going to look at what he can do to get the teva. Apparently to give the 20mg (2 x 10mg) dose is over £100 difference in cost to say wockhardt (1 x 20mg). He is going to look at any research that states difference in effectiveness of 10mg v 20mg dose daily. 

So it is all down to costs. To me, I’d be happy to just take the 10 rather than nothing - I can’t go back to how I was before I found the Teva. 

Anne

x

Hi Anne - thanks for posting that info, I will need to speak to my GP/pharmacist to see about getting the 10mg tablets too. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your GP today.

Evie xx

Hello ladies. 

I spoke to to a lady at Teva after being told they no longer make tamoxifen. I tried other brands before finding Teva - actually stopped taking it all together as I couldn’t get out of bed with the bone pain. They ARE still making tamoxifen - just not in the 20mg tablet. They are still making 10mg tablets. I didn’t think this would be a problem - just take 2 rather than 1 tablet?! Unfortunately it seems that it comes down to cost. 😡 I’m seeing my GP on Wednesday to see if i can get the script (my pharmacy has already got them in). I’ve been taking Wokhardt in the interim and the bone pain is back. My only other option seems to be ditching it all together and take my chances. 

I have been on Teva for the past year and also was given a different brand last month. I was lucky with Teva as had no side effects. Touch wood no side effects with this one it is made by Actavis if that helps anyone. 

That’s so lucky! I’m jealous!! Whenever I’ve had my prescription, it’s always had to be ordered in for me no matter where I tried...Boots or small independents. I was told supplies will run out eventually so decided I may as well get started on a new brand now, but I’m very grumpy about it! 

I get joint pain so maybe another brand will be better...I’m clinging on to that hope! x 

Hello Ladies, I have always used the Teva brand and when my well known pharmacy told me they couldn't get it any more I was beside myself. As if we don't have enough to cope with!! I also emailed Teva and was told the same as you it had been discontinued. What Now?! I mentioned it to my doctor and she said to try independent chemists. They can reach out to more suppliers. So that's what I did. My first call I was so lucky, he had a draw full of Teva. Ten minutes later I was standing in front of him with my prescription. He must've thought I was mad! I mentioned about it being discontinued and he said he hadn't heard that . I explained my dilemma about sticking to the same brand. He said no problem I will get in some stock so you always have it. I could've kissed him! That was 4 months ago and I've been back 3 times since and Teva is there waiting. So, my suggestion would be to try calling you local chemists and see if they can help. We really don't need the hassle of trying to get the brand we want every 2 months. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any success. Love Di...xxx

Hi KarenMc20

Thanks for posting this - I too have always had Teva so will need to find an alternative brand, that’s such a pain. I wonder if anyone else can advise if there is an alternative brand that is well tolerated. I’d be interested to hear how you get on with Mylan.

Evie xx

No more Teva tamoxifen?

I tried to get my prescription for Teva brand of tamoxifen filled yesterday but was advised by the pharmacist that Teva have stopped making it. I’ve contacted Teva and they’ve replied as follows:

Please accept my sincere apologies that this product has been discontinued and is no longer available for sale.

We constantly review our product portfolio and look at the products that sit within it. This is something we do routinely and the decision to discontinue any product is made only where necessary, due to supply and demand. Please accept my apologies once again as we do fully understand the importance of all of our products to patients and this decision is never made lightly.

I apologise that the only advice we are able to give you would be to speak to your GP in relation to alternative products.”

I have some Mylan to try but am worried about what new/different side effects I’ll get!