Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVARIES REMOVAL (OOPHORECTOMY) : CONFUSED

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted

Re: OVARIES REMOVAL (OOPHORECTOMY) : CONFUSED

Hi Di,

I have added you as my friend and sent you a private message - not sure if you receive them (being my first time to do so on here).  🙂

Highlighted

Hello dearest Ann. I am so pleased to hear from you.I am doing well thank you. My next thing is to decide if I stop tamoxifen at 5 years or carry on for another 5. Do you ever stop being anxious and worried? I think it does get easier over time but it is always in the back of your mind.I can usually tell how I'm feeling by the amount of times I visit  this site!

My sad news is I lost my brother to Cancer in July, he was 49. As you can imagine we are heartbroken and has brought all my anxious thoughts back. We still can't believe what's happened and not sure we will ever recover from it.

Pleased to hear you are doing well. You are right, I think we just adjust to side effects and learn to live with them. Have your menopausal symptoms settled down?

I would like to wish a special Christmas and look forward to hearing from you.

Much love..xxxx

Highlighted

Dear Di,

Thank you for dropping by - so very happy to hear from you. Yes, it's been over a year since we last contacted. Apart from having anxieties, and learning to cope with it, I am doing very well, thank you. How are you doing ? Hope all's well for you ? Do keep me updated about your abouts - I am interested to know ! 🙂

In the meantime, I wish you a very very very happy and blessed Christmas and New Year 2019 ! 🙂

Much love,

Ann xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ann, Not sure how I missed your reply but I did, so sorry. Wow a year has passed since we last chatted. Hope you are staying well and I hope you pick this up so we can have a chat. Would love to hear from you..xxx

Highlighted

Hi Di, so sorry my reply has been really late. Somehow thought of you today and thought I'd drop by to say Hi ! 🙂 How have you been ? Hope all's well for you ? I am doing well after my op - can't believe it has been 5 months since ! Anyway, just thought I'd make contact. Tell me about anything and everything at all ! 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Ann Pleased to hear you are recovering well.Its hard to understand if what is happening to your body is because of the op, side effects or just normal! My hot flushes kicked in about a week after my op. I also feel really sad, have panic attacks and find I am withdrawing away from friends. I don't won't to keep moaning about how rough I feel so I don't tell them. I also now get angry really quickly. I had a row with a steam cleaner last week. I could feel it coming on so left it on the floor and went out for a walk to calm down! I'm glad the house was empty and couldn't argue with anyone. I feel like I just want to be on my own until I come out the other side. This isn't me at all so I can only think this is all down to my hormones and menopause. It is so good to be able to share feeling's and how we feel on this site. Let's keep sharing info it helps to know you're not alone! Lots of love..xx

Highlighted

Hi Di, I am doing very well, thank you! 🙂 I am healing very well too ! 🙂 I am very happy to hear that all your tests came back clear - it must be such a relief for you ! 🙂 I remember when I had my smear result - me and my husband celebrated by having a Chinese on the same day ! 🙂

What are the difficult menapausal effects that you have to cope with, Di ? Are you having alot of hot sweats ? As for me, I think the thing that effects me most is the feeling of depression and anxiety. I am not sure if it is a menapausal effect, I get anxious very quickly and sometimes depressed too. Its like small little problem in life can effect my whole being, makes me scared, fearful, anxious, etc.

I can understand what you mean by 'it does feel like it's never ending. If its not one thing its the other.' So much of trials and tribulations I had to cope with in the past few months, I am praying for peace and am taking one day at a time literately.

I wish you a very lovely weekend ! 🙂

Much love,

Ann xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ann. Ah so lovely to hear from you. Pleased you have had your op. How are you feeling now? I thought it felt like quite an easy recovery compared to a mastectomy or recon. Pleased to say all  my tests came back clear and I had results for my smear yest and that was normal. That's peace of mind knowing all is clear down there! Struggling a bit with menopause now that has happened all of a sudden but hoping it will settle down in a few weeks time. It does feel like it's never ending. If it's not one thing it's another. Anyway, hope you are recovering well and making the most of having to rest! Lots of love Di..xxx

Highlighted

Hi Poppy, thank you so very much for remembering me. Very happy to hear from you ! 🙂

The meeting with my gyne went very well. I am happy to inform that the smear result was good. Was very worried before getting the result and I pledge to not ever take smear for granted anymore and will go for routine checks.

I am also happy to inform that there is a slot for the oophorectomy to be done earlier (on Thursday), and here I am today, recovering from the procedure. I still feel a little bit sore, but I am sure all will be well very soon.

How are you btw ? How is your treatments going ? Do keep me informed and updated with your treatments, plans, etc - I am interested to know ! 🙂

xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ann Just hoping you are ok. Haven't heard from you since your appointment. Sending love and hugs..xx

Highlighted

Hi Poppy, it is such a pleasure hearing from you. Thank you for remembering. It makes me feel special and thought of, thank you. I am having all questions typed out already and I hope all goes well tomorrow too.

A little bit concern also as I have just done my smear test (first ever) about more than 2 weeks ago - I hope the postponement, the call for this visit, etc does not refer to the result of the test.

Lifting everything to God's loving care.

Will keep you updated.

xx

(ps : You can call me Ann ! 🙂

Highlighted

Hi Cellia. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow. I find it helps to write all the questions down that you want to ask. If you are anything like me my mind goes blank when I get in there! Let me know how it goes..xx

Highlighted

Thank you, Poppy, yes your infos are very helpful. Sorry to hear you are not able to find suppliments that can be taken with Tamoxifen. It must be frustrating for you. I will have a meeting with the gyne coming Tuesday and I hope all will be well with the meet. I am thinking right after I remove my ovaries (and also tubes) - I would like to switch from taking Tamoxifen to taking AI and will be discussing this with my oncology. Though not thoroughly sure what AI is, I will be researching it soon.

Lets do keep intouch, Poppy, and exchange infos ! 🙂

Wishing you a very blessed Easter too ! 🙂

xx

Highlighted

Hi I was diagnosed with grade 3 ER7  breast cancer in June 14 and needed a mastectomy.  I didn't need any chemo but I need to take tamoxifen for 5 years. My cysts were found in Jan 16 and then I was monitored for nearly a year. I think during this time they should stay the same or disappear.  Mine kept growing I also had a blood test C125 which was changing. I think all these factors led to the decision to take everything. Sorry forgot to say I am 51. The only problem is now I have gone into what's known as a surgical menopause which happened a week after my op.I don't need any more treatment in this area. I haven't really thought about taking any supplements. Every time I find something I find out you can't take it with tamoxifen. It's difficult to know what to do. Hope this helps and if you think of anything else just let me know. Happy Easter...xx

Highlighted

Thank you so much for your sharing, Poppy. Much appreciate it. I did also worry about the weak bones and heart decease, and like you, I would like to ensure I do all I can to avoid cancer.

How old are you, btw, Poppy, and what treatments have you had ? When and what were you diagnosed ? Sorry the so many questions - I have a very curious mind.

Are you planning to take any suppliments btw, for your bones, etc ?

Wishing you a very very blessed Holy week ! 🙂 xx

Highlighted

Yup, it is such a bummer ! And I hope so too, Lou. Will keep you updated.

Highlighted

Hi. I am just recovering from the same op although I have had my tubes removed at the same time. Mine started with two cysts which they decided to remove. At my pre op they told me that they would like to remove my ovaries and tubes because of my history having BC. My thought was if they take it away there is less chance of cancer coming back in that area. I did worry about weak bones and heart disease, but I worry about cancer coming back more. It seems if you had a hormonal cancer you can't really take anything for things like hot flushes. I was surprised how quick I recovered from the op which was done by keyhole. I am also pleased to say I had my results back today and no cancer cells found. Hope all goes well for you..xx

Highlighted

Aww that's a shame, but yes hopefully you will feel better prepared..x

Highlighted

Just a note to inform that my operation date has been rescheduled to next month as there isn't enough beds for recovery in the hospital (I was informed). This will give me more chance to see my gyne and onco before the op, and then attend the op fully prepared (hopefully !)

Highlighted

Thank you so so very much, Janey2, Lou, very much appreciate kind infos and sharing. I am taking notes of all. Will go to the pharmacy tomorrow to inquire the options I have.

I must admit, while it occured to me in the past, I didn't take the need of supplimentary vitamins seriously - I should have. After reading about the removal of ovaries, I realise there are so many side effects that come with it. But then, I guess we just have to do what we have to do.

Wishing you lovely ladies a very good night !

ps : My operation is this Thursday - will let you lovely ladies informed.

xx

Highlighted

Ooh. Sorry. Forgot to say I take glucosamine too.
Highlighted

No problem..

I'm taking a bone strengher which I take once a week..(this is prescribed due to the onset of the osteoporosis) I already had the osteoporosis before the ovaries were removed so that part isn't related. I think it developed overtime after my chemotherapy as I went into early menopause in treatment.....I also take a fish oil and glucosamine tablet daily. I walk at least 2 miles a day often more like 4. It's a good feeling when we are making the decision isn't it ? Taking control is empowering...good luck !!  Xxx

Highlighted

I wasn't allowed HRT, and learned to my financial cost not to buy things like Menopace - it was only after I opened the packet that the leaflet said don't take if you have had a hormonal cancer! I do take high strength evening primrose every day, as I find this helps me keep relatively calm, although my OH may dispute this! I don't take anything else. Xx
Highlighted

Hi, thank you so much for your kind feedback. Very much appreciate your sharing. I woke up today, firmly decided to go ahead with removing with my ovaries. It is strange - I also feel strengthed with the decision. I am glad though that I had the few days of panic as it lets research what it really means to remove my ovaries, and the precautions I have to take to ensure all are ok.

I hope you don't mind me asking. What kind of suppliments are you taking at the moment to protect your bone, heart, etc health ? Just want to make sure I learn as much as I can and try to look after myself in all ways I can too.

xx

Highlighted

Hi I am 41 in July and was diagnosed at 37. I was Er + pr + but her 2 neg, I was on tamoxifen for two years and then after occasional bleeding I was offered ovary removal. I thought about this and decided to go ahead. The operation was straight forward and I needed a week off work to recover. The side effects for me are minimal but I did need to change meds from tamoxifen to anastrosle. The most obvious to me are stiffness in joints but it's manageable. I also have the start of osteoporosis in my hips which I now manage with medication and walking. However I am glad I did it and feel happier that they have gone, I would definitely chose it again after weighing up the pros and cons. Obviously everyone is different...I wish you well whatever you choose xx

Highlighted

Hi
I didn't have exactly the same situation as you. However, I had a total hysterectomy just over 5 years ago (aged 46), following endometrial cancer (breast cancer last year). I had had about 3 years of polyp removal and hystoscopies prior to surgery.
I have no regrets about the hysterectomy, as I was having so many period problems and was permanently worried about what was growing - mind you I still haven't bought the white jeans I promised myself!
The shock was immediate menopause, although I'm guessing you already know those symptoms! I do have a bit of menopausal brain fog - as I affectionately call it, but it did take a big chunk of worry away. Sadly it didn't stop the breast cancer and the tablets bringing back the hot flushes I thought I'd seen the last of!
Wishing you loads of luck with whatever you decide xx
Highlighted

Hi Cecilia-Rose-Ann,

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Highlighted

OVARIES REMOVAL (OOPHORECTOMY) : CONFUSED

I have a very difficult situation here. I am 41 this year. I was diagnosed with breast cancer end of 2013. I was 38 then. I was very blessed to have found the cancer early. It was stage 1 (I was told), grade 2,

HER2 +. Because of my age (being young) and the risks involved, I underwent chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and herceptin. I am now taking tamoxifen (2.5 years now, and was told I had to take it for 10 years), and also zalodex injection each month.

I had a vagina bleeding last year and found that I had a polyp and it was removed then. I was informed it could be because of tamoxifen. I had another bleeding this year and found another polyp. I will be removing the polyps this Thursday. Apart from that, a cyst was found on my left ovary. After seeing the gyne, I was informed that I can remove the cyst by taking off 1 ovary. One thing lead to another, I decided to have 2 ovaries removed instead as it makes sense to remove both during the key-hole-surgery. My thought is I will complete my zalodex treatment when I am 44 years old and my period may come back and my ovaries start working again as I would not reach menopause age yet.

My questions are :

1. Has anyone been through the situation I have been through or similar and have decided to go ahead with removing both ovaries ? If yes, how are you coping with having both ovaries removed ? Are there very bad side effects ?

2. After the removal of my ovaries, do I still take tamoxifen or do I change medication ? If I change medication, do I have to change it immediately after the removal of the ovaries or can it wait ? How is the transition period like and what is done in the process of the medicine change ? I am in a panic state here as the gyne and onko are separate and I have only realised today that the medications has to be aligned to the state of my ovaries.

3. I am worried about the long term effect of the removal of my ovaries. I read it may cause much complications in the long run. Ex - heart attack, cognitive impairment, parkinson decease. I wonder if anyone here has had years of experience in the removal of their ovaries to comment on this ? Or do you have any other findings, etc on the regards ?

4. Any regrets for those who have been through the removal of the ovaries ? If yes, what are the regrets ? If not, what are the positives ?                                                                    
  5. Please could anyone share anything at all on the above situation - anything thoughts at all will be appreciated.

I must be honest to say I am having cold feet as we speak as, would really appreciate hearing from anyone at all on all regards.

Thank you.