64430members
339321posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

Re: Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

I was so NOT anticipating taking anastrazole-my joints are already arthritic. Been taking for two weeks and lower back is aching now along with sciatic pain. Hope that is the worst. Am taking chondroitin and glucosamine-started that two weeks before anastrazole while still doing rad. Hope that helps my knees and hands. Am also using a heating pad on my lower back alternating with ice-doing the same to the back of my leg-which seems to relieve the discomfort some what. Ice and heat three times a day. Then heat to my back when I go to bed. Time will tell!! Am also trying to lose weight by just eating healthy-am a vegetarian so eating healthy is pretty easy-just need to cut portions and walk, if my back and sciatic nerve let me. All in all am so glad to be alive-I have thirteen year old twins-if God willing want to see those cuties grow up!!
Has anyone watched the Ty Bollinger's "quest for the cure"?

Well now Lovely Ladies - I soo apologise for "crashing" this thread, BUT, I'm on a "mission". 

Firstly, I hope you're all doing well, haven't yet in depth read into your thread, but have already recognised extremely familiar faces - Janey2, Ladyballbowler!! Hi gorgeous Fluffies - so this is where you come to avoid MOI?? Hummm, gonna tell Charys on yers!!

Sorry, but it's Magic I'm after - that Magical_Moon woman?? You there flower?? Get the feeling you've gone off the Forum radar and did I read something about you "cutting the apron strings"?? Understandable darlin girl. But can you please get in touch with me by pm email, if you would do me honour of. I'd really love to be in contact with you and know how you're doing. I've recently been reading back from the origins of the "Fluffy" thread, having a right good giggle and quite frankly . . . . .  I've "missed" you girl. Please get in touch. Taaaa, in advance.

Right, I'll leave you's all to carry on after my friendly interruption. May stop for a bit, and have a read.

Love to you ALL

Dellywellydingdong xxxxxxxx

Thank you, 3 down - 12 more to go x

Good luck to you both for Monday xx

Lena Mary, my appointments from 16th through to 31st Jan are 4.45pm! I'm sure we will meet.
I generally wear my bright blue coat in cold weather , glasses and a black beanie .... if you see anyone fitting that description it's probably me!!☺x

Thank you Lena Mary. I'm definitely getting there other than a blooming cold! As you live a bit away from the hospital, I wondered if they'd discussed staying in Exeter? Some people I met were put up at the hospital during treatment.

Nice to hear from you, Janey. My Rads were delayed as I couldn't make up my mind about having this treatment! Decided to go ahead with it after all. Hope you are well. Lena Mary

Hello Treeze, perhaps meet up with you and Emma too, at Exeter. So sorry to hear you have the dreaded lurgy. Hope it clears up quickly. Lena Mary

Hello again Emma 111

I start Rads at Exeter on 16th January.  First few appointments are around 10 am but the rest are around 5pm.  We still might meet up.  I have to have transport as we are in Axminster and husband would find it  tooo much to drive every day for 3 weeks.

Hope to meet up with you.

Lena Mary

Thanks Emma. I had my private acupuncture session today and floated out of the therapy centre! I'm going to book again for when I'm back at work, along with the reflexology. Hopefully my colleagues won't recognise me I shall be so relaxed! X

Lovely to have two reflexology treatments to look forward to. I'm def hoping to do a moving on course! Really think I'll benefit from that. I've also enquired about the Look Good Feel Better session so will hopefully do that soon. I hope your return to work goes well .....settle in and don't try and do too much too soon xx

Emma I've saved 2 reflexology sessions for when I get back to work. They've also said I can have my lunch break there when working nearby. It's been a real haven for me and my partner. I haven't booked on other groups but I met someone who did the FORCE moving on group and they thought it well worth booking. I don't think I can fit them in with work though. I did do the look Good Feel Better session, which was a real treat, although I've had to hide the make up goodies from the girls at home! I did have one session of reflexology straight after my last radiotherapy and it was perfect timing. X

Will do, thanks Brenda x

Happy New Year Emma, and everyone.  So pleased to know you started taking the dreaded pills and all is ok. I felt a bit silly after I had my panic about starting the pills, but it is comforting somehow to know I wasn't the only one! (my imagination must be a bit like yours).  

It might be helpful to know that I had one day, during the first month, when I felt very sick for about 15 minutes, which I attributed to Anastrozole.  Told my BCN about it and we think it was because I had forgotten to take it the night before so took it in the morning. She advised taking it at night.  Now if I forget at night I don't take it until the next evening....I'm sure missing the odd one is not harmful.

As you may have read in an earlier post, I have a friend who was on Anastrozole for five years, as part of a drug trial, and she had NO side effects at all so anything is possible.  Please report again when you're further along the journey as I'd love to know how you get on.   Hope all goes well.   X

Happy New Year to you all.
Yes thank you Janey2, I've been to Force and had 5 massages .... saving my 6th for a month after radiotherapy I've decided. I'm also hoping to go to the art class on a Thurs afternoon until I'm due to go back to work. Ive enquired about acupuncture so hopefully will hear soon regarding when I can start. Do you ever go to the relaxation sessions on a Wed? I did over the summer during chemo and may go back during radiotherapy.
Well Brenda, you were so right ..... took my first pill this morning and nothing awful happened! Didn't spontaneously self combust as I thought may happen (such a wild imagination!). I've been for a 9 mile walk this morning and feel fine! I know I may still get side effects obviously but don't feel so nervous!!xx

Happy New Year to you all. Emma hello to another Exeter woman! I'm sure you've found your way to FORCE already but if not, get yourself over there and on to the Auricular acupuncture course - a wonderful group and the treatment has been incredibly effective. I still get hot flushes, but the intensity and frequency are so reduced. I've booked a private session with the therapist before I head back to work in a couple of weeks. I'm also worried about fatigue and managing my job. There is also a fatigue Physio programme (again through FORCE), which I start next week, which will hopefully have a good effect. Good luck x

I'm sending my good wishes to you all too.  I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy just over a year ago and had no real problems at all, no skin problems and only a couple of days of fatigue.  Hope it goes as well for the ladies on here who are starting treatment soon.  Let's hope 2017 is a better year for all of us.  Xx

Thank you for your positivity ladies.
Lena Mary, I start rads in January too (10th) ... in Exeter! Perhaps our paths will cross. My appointments are late afternoon x

Hello again Lena Mary! I'm sorry to hear you had problems after your ops, I thought you'd be following on straight after me in Exeter. I hope you now have a smoother experience x

Lena I'm starting in January too-next week.Have come down with a cold and bad chest which I could do without.I'm on anastroxole too and just have a few more hot flushes and loose bowels when I started it but that's more or less cleared up now.

Hello Emma

I started on Anastrozole about 6 weeks ago.  Apart from feeling hot at times I have not had any other problems yet.  Fingers crossed.  Everyone is different.  Chin up!  

I start Rads in January, not looking forward to that as I had a lot of problems after my op.  Be optimistic!!

Lena Mary

Hello again Emma. Sorry to know you are also suffering with anxiety. My husband suffers with anxiety so I understand what you're going through.  Fortunately I don't usually suffer with it myself but have to admit to being very anxious about starting the Anastrozole, to the point that I phoned a friend to talk it over and I actually took the first pill while I was on the phone to her.  I don't know what I thought was going to happen but  it felt almost like a panic attack and, of course, nothing drastic happened but I think when we've been through what we've all been through, sometimes we are not rational and we do get uptight about some things, but I think we have to try not to be too hard on ourselves.  We're doing the best we can, and we are allowed to be vulnerable and look for reassurance.  Keep your chin up and be kind to yourself.  Brenda.  X

I am 49 and have had terrible pain due to the anastrozole , i am now on amitriptline along with strong cocodamol which has improved things, however as its already been said those who have no problems dont generally post and i have got together with a group of bc ladies today and a couple who have beenon AI for a number of years have no problems xx
Highlighted

I am 71 and have been on Anastrozole since March 2014. Yes I get a few arthritic type aches, but nothing really to worry about. It may even be nothing to do with the drug but simply old age wear and tear.

I understand from reading posts here that some people have a reaction to different Brands of the same drug and therefore ask their pharmacist to only supply the Brand they have least side effects from. Talk to your pharmacist about your symptoms and see what s/he says. Your doctor may be prepared to prescribe the one brand if the pharmacist isn't prepared to help. If all else fails, talk to you BC nurse - they have heard it all before and may well be able to tell you what other people have found helpful.

Thank you Brenda and Ann. I'm suffering with anxiety at mo so having a tendancy to overthink and get upset at mo. Hopefully once anti anxiety meds have kicked in I'll be able to think rationally about taking the meds next week and the benefits of it rather than thinking the worst about it before I've even started x

Hi Emma. Please don't be petrified.....only the people who have the unwelcome side effects post on this site. I am sure plenty of people don't feel as we do. In fact, I have a friend who took Anastrozole for five years with no side effects at all.  I am 68 so the aches and pains are probably worse because of my age.  If I was younger I would still be able to work, despite the aches etc.   It is fairly unpleasant but nothing to be petrified about.   Personally  I wouldn't resort to coffee enemas, but have resorted to taking Amitriptyline (prescription only) and it has taken the edge off the aches and has the bonus of making me sleep well, which I have never done.  This site is great for help and advice, and great support....it's a bit like an exclusive club!!  Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.  Will be thinking of you.  Brenda. 

Community Champion

hi emma,
Sorry to see how you're feeling, its always so anxiety provoking to read about issues with treatment, but understandably these will be posted.
I'm not on anastrazole, so cant comment, but your team will support you with any side effect issues.
btw, I personally wouldn't worry about coffee enemas!
ann x

I'm due to start taking this next week and after reading this forum I am absolutely dreading it! Is the pain 24/7?? It must be hideous if people are resorting to putting coffee up their bum!! I'm only 38!! Will I be able to go back to work full-time? I'm a legal secretary and due back in March ..... will the pain consume me the whole time??? I'm petrified!

Coffee enemas. Research it!

Please lookup the benefits of coffee enemas. With all the drugs we have to take we really need to detox the liver. It also helps with pain and a host of other issues. I've been doing them every morning for over a year. 2014 bc right breast. 2.8 ,cm. No lymph nodes involvement. Clear margins. 4 rounds of chemo. Complete mastectomy. I choose. Reconstruction. I was put on anastrazole for 5 years. No issues at all until recently starting with hand pain. Trigger finger. Back pain. Pelvic pain. Leg pain muscle pain. Over the counter pain meds working so far but pain keeps me hobbling a lot. Coffee enemas are important part of treatment. Do yourselves,a favor. Research it. It takes some getting used to. Difficult at first. But gets easier and easier. I will continue taking the little white pill as long as I can. I have a good friend that is stage 4. Not estrogen positive. She said she wished to God she could take the pill and be reassured . But she can't.Please weigh you options carefully. God bless all
ARK

Had double mastectomy in June for stage 1 cancer. Did fine on Anastrozole for first three months before starting to notice joint problems. Within a few weeks I felt like I had aged 10 years. Extreme joint pain all over, but worse in hips, pelvis and hands. After contacting oncologist stopped drug 8 weeks ago, much better, but finger joints remain swollen. Have now been prescribed Exemestane, but afraid to start taking this as I just had Expander and fat transfer surgery 10 days ago. Anyone here switched drugs and had good results or suggestions.

Hello and welcome. Must admit I haven't tried any "alternative" remedies but haven't ruled it out either.  I have been taking Amitriptyline now for a couple of months and I think it has taken the edge off the pains, and I do feel better first thing in the morning, which is a huge relief.  I still have trigger fingers on both hands and the aches and pains certainly haven't gone, but feel less troublesome.  I now feel I can live with these side effects but, of course, would be delighted if anyone has any ideas for getting rid of the side effects altogether!  I don't feel brave enough to come off Anastrozole, but don't blame anyone for doing so as the aches and pains are quite annoying and debilitating, to put it mildly.   I hope you will get support and help from this forum. I have found it very helpful.    X

Has anyone tried acupuncture / reiki / massage for your side effects? I've been advised it can minimise side effects. ...advice?x

I have had the joint pain from all 4 types of breast cancer drugs to the point I was practically crippled. My consultant finally admitted that this happened to 10% of woman in the trials who dropped out. After lengthy discussions with my oncologist I have decided that the 1.4% extra life expectancy it bought me statistically was  not worth the misery I was experiencing, and stopped all drugs. I feel so much better and I am sure the ability to exercise again is a huge health positive. Each decision about these drugs depends on the personal circumstances but the news this morning that someone wants to prescribe anastrozole as a preventative to healthy women makes me shudder.

Hi Treeze, welcome.  Sorry you are feeling so rough.  I think you will find medical people very understanding about this and am sure you will be able to change pills, but I was told that side effects will be at their worst in first 2-3 weeks and then calm down a bit.  

Just a thought from my own experience; I decided from the start that I would take the pills at night but I forgot to take it one night so took it in the morning and felt VERY sick a few hours later. I rang my Breast Care Nurse and she advised taking pill with/after food and always at night.....which the leaflet in the tabs doesn't say, but since then I have only very occasionally felt nauseous, and if I forget pill at night I don't take one until following night.  Not chancing feeling so sick again!   I realise you may already take yours at night but thought it worth mentioning.  It may be that chemo makes nausea more likely, but I was lucky enough not to have chemo so not sure about that.  Please report back to let us know how you get on.   You will get a lot of good advice and support on this forum....I know I have!

All good wishes.

Brenda S.

Just saw this thread and wondered if I could butt in! I've only been on anastrozole for a week I know but feel horrible..I've coped reasonably well with chemo so far and waiting for surgery but since taking them I feel nauseous..I've had no sickness with chemo..and dizzy and spacey all the time.don't want to go out or eat much and I've been eating well.will this pass or would I be able to try something else?

Hello cajunsurvivor, good to hear about your experiences, and pleased to know that now you're off Anastrozole you are pain free - must be great for you after all that pain.  Have you changed to another pill or come off all medication?  It's great that you are back to being sporty as you were before the A.  How encouraging for you.  You have obviously made the right decision for you.  It's  always good to hear of other people's experiences, so thanks for joining in the discussion.  

With all good wishes

Brenda S.

Hello MM.  So pleased to know that your check up went well. As you say, it's a good feeling isn't it.  I've only been on Anastrozole for 14 months so have a long way to go but, like you, I feel I'd rather stick to the devil I know, and I think the joint pains are not exclusive to Anastrozole.  I do think the Amitriptyline is helping a bit and I don't feel quite so seized up in the morning, but doubt whether the trigger fingers will improve, and they are quite painful, but like you I feel that the Anastrozole is a security blanket and gives me a bit of peace of mind.   I find exercise helps with the aches, and still go to gym twice a week, and this week intend to join a walking netball group if I can pluck up courage to do so!   

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.  Will keep visiting this forum as I have found it really encouraging, and I think we're a friendly lot!

All good wishes

Brenda S.

Hi everyone. I have been off anastrozole for around 7 months. After having extreme joint pains along with two arthroscopic surgeries (each knee). I am happy to say I am pain free. I'm in stage 1 breast cancer with 2 very small invasive spots. My last mammogram went well and I am now on the one year plan with my mammogram visits!! This hormone therapy was killing me!! I'm back to running 3 to 4 miles 4 times a week, teaching spin, strength training, etc. I was on anastrozole for 1.5 years!!

Hello Brenda,
How kind of you to ask.
Everything went well. My mammogram was clear showing NED (No Evidence of Disease) which was a huge relief.
I am now three years in remission which is a very good feeling. I would like to think that my good news will give you and all the ladies who have posted on this thread hope and inspiration.
It can be extremely challenging to continue with hormone therapy when Anastrozole causes such awful joint pain. There have been many times when I have felt I couldn't carry on taking it but, despite this, I have managed to persevere. Mainly because this little white pill continues to give me the comfort blanket I need for peace of mind.
Sorry Brenda, I forgot to ask about Hemp Oil. I did talk to my BCN about my chronic joint pain. The only thing she could advise was to try either Letrozole or Exemestane. I had already told her last year that I did not want to take Exemestane because it is a steroid AI and its aromatase inhibition mechanism is 'irreversible'. I'm too worn out to try Letrozole and feel I'd rather stick with the devil I know for the remaining two years.
Peace and Positivity to everyone.
M x

Hello MM.  Have been thinking about you....hope all went well on Thursday?   B.  x

Hi Helly,

Welcome to the thread.

I do not think the oncologists have a definite timeframe before switching you to a different hormone therapy. As Brenda has said, it really is up to you.

You must take priority, therefore, if you are having a difficult time with Anastrozole, you should tell your oncologist you want to try something else. You have been taking it for 5 weeks which is a reasonable amount of time to judge how it is affecting you.

Oncologists would rather you tried a different hormone therapy, which hopefully you can tolerate, than reach breaking point where the side effects are too awful and you just want to ditch hormone therapy completely.

Good luck to finding the right medication for you.

M x

Hi helly. Welcome. I understand what you mean when you say 49 feeling 99. I'm 68 and feeling 88 !! I really think it's up to you to decide whether/when to change to another medication. I was told at the start that I could change any time. They all do the same job but probably have slightly different side effects. I do hope you get something to help you soon. I know how miserable it is to have constant aches and pains. I find it really helpful to share experiences on this forum so hope you do too. Keep in touch.
Brenda

Thanks M. How kind of you to say you will ask about Hemp oil when you see your BCN.  Please don't worry if you forget.....you will have enough to think about.  I spoke with someone in Holland & Barrett this morning and they said they have to keep the Hemp oil behind the counter as it gets pinched off the shelf because people think it contains cannabis, but apparently the substance that makes you high is extracted during manufacture!!

Shame.

I will be thinking of you on Thursday and look forward to good news.  Thanks again for your support..

B.   

xx

Sorry if this has already been asked but how long do the oncologists like you to keep on the anastrozle before they will change it? The chemo left me with terrible muscle pain especially upper body which they say is due to the taxotere/taxol and 5 weeks of anastrozole hasn't improved it! Have tried naproxen with cocodamol but the naproxen  upset  my stomach  now on tramadol/paracetamol. 49 feeling 99 Smiley Sad .

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for posting to tell us how you have been getting on with Amitriptyline. Sounds like you have noticed some improvement to help with your joint pain but perhaps not as significant as it was for me. Maybe given more time you may get more reduction in the level of pain.

I've not heard of Hemp Oil in relation to chronic pain only cannabis.😱  No chance that the NHS will be supplying spliffs to pain sufferers.

I go to the Breast Clinic for the results of my third year anniversary mammogram on Thursday, so will ask my BCN about Hemp Oil.

Peace and Positivity,

M x

Hello again MM and all.  I THINK my aches and pains feel a little better, having been on Amitriptyline for about three weeks, and I am enjoying sleeping well.  Has anyone tried Hemp oil in relation to chronic pain?   It has been recommended to me but I know my BCNurse said they don't recommend taking supplements, apart from vit D so I will have to check with her anyway, but wondered if any of you have tried it?  Thanks as always for your anticipated help and advice.  B.  xx

Hello Brenda,

Great news on the sleeping.

Every cloud........as you say.

Sweet dreams.

M x

Hello M M, good to hear from you.  I have only been taking Amitriptyline for a week so not expecting much yet but I feel hopeful that it will help, and at least I am sleeping well, which I have NEVER done, so every cloud.......!!!  I will report back when I have been on the A for a while longer. Have to see GP in three weeks to discuss how things are going.  Thanks for your interest.......it helps to know we are not alone doesn't it?   Hope all as ok as possible with you?   X

Hi Brenda,

How are getting on with the Amitriptyline? Any noticeable changes in pain reduction yet?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

M x