338599posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

245 REPLIES 245

Re: Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

I have been told and read that anastrazole is 97% effective in cutting down recurring breast cancer. I go in the internet and read great things about it

Try to hang in. You only have one more year. I am only 18 months into this. I need your strength to keep me going. 

Hope I am as lucky as you are. Very bad thumb pain today in both thumbs. None at night thank god. But daytime is tough. I try voltarin cream  or ice   Anyone out there with other suggestions. I also went in line for trigger thumbs exercises. I do that also. 

I have been on the accord manufacturer of anastrazole The only problem I have is with thumb pain. I have ordered a thumb splint to try that. I am 18 months and night sweats are gone. I walk everyday 30-45 minutes   I believe that helps. I am rubbing Voltarin in my thumb. I do not want to change from anastrazole. They all have side effects. I will hold on 

I find walking every day half hour does help foot and knee pain. As for the thumb joint pain. I got a thumb icer finger splint from Publix. It has an ice pack to use. It does relieve for a time. Mine only hurts when opening something. Your doc is right don’t open with that hand 

I find elevating my feet at night helps the knee pain. I also swear that walking everyday ha,f hour keeps my knees pain free. Have no cure for my thumb joint pain. Only hurts when I go to open something. Doc said don’t open anything. Ha ha 

Thanks Mollybee. After about a year on Anastrozole I developed new pains in my hands and eventually I got “trigger finger” on one finger of each hand, and it got so bad that if I had to bend the finger to hold something, I then had to straighten the affected finger using the other hand, and those fingers were so painful to straighten, but both hands were painful from fingertips to wrists. Had that problem for a few months before it completely disappeared and have had no hand pain or trigger finger since....very strange! So, every time I get pains now I always hope they will go on their own, but that hasn’t happened with any other pains unfortunately.  I have my four-year checkup in July so might ask consultant and my breast care nurse about coming off Anastrozole. I know they can’t make the decision for me, and guess they would prefer it if I stayed on meds!

Thanks for your message, it has helped a lot!  Keep in touch

brenda

Brenda, if you have a lot of aches and pains and they are caused by Anastrazole you should find they disappear after two or three weeks, certainly a month, as mine did.  I am also 3 and a half years in, and couldn't stand it any longer but it was my hands only that were affected.  I was told the hands are usually where the joint pain is worst.  

Kathy, I had never heard of the Predict website either, and that is a very good tip, thank you.  Not really sure how to use it as I had two tumours, one tiny and triple negative, and the other ER positive and a bit bigger, but my "chance of dying in 10 years" was said to be 6% if I had chemo, which I did. So that doesn't seem bad odds at my age, and therefore I'm not willing to put up with a greatly reduced quality of life.  (Although I have already had 3 of those years now so it doesn't seem quite as remote!). Next time I see the oncologist I will ask him to look at Predict with me.

We should probably all be looking at how to live our lives as well as we can.  I am definitely thinking quality over quantity but it's easy to say.  Very different at 70 to 30 or 40.

Brenda, if you have a lot of aches and pains and they are caused by Anastrazole you should find they disappear after two or three weeks, certainly a month, as mine did.  I am also 3 and a half years in, and couldn't stand it any longer but it was my hands only that were affected.  I was told the hands are usually where the joint pain is worst.  

Kathy, I had never heard of the Predict website either, and that is a very good tip, thank you.  Not really sure how to use it as I had two tumours, one tiny and triple negative, and the other ER positive and a bit bigger, but my "chance of dying in 10 years" was said to be 6% if I had chemo, which I did. So that doesn't seem bad odds at my age, and therefore I'm not willing to put up with a greatly reduced quality of life.  (Although I have already had 3 of those years now so it doesn't seem quite as remote!). Next time I see the oncologist I will ask him to look at Predict with me.

We should probably all be looking at how to live our lives as well as we can.  I am definitely thinking quality over quantity but it's easy to say.  Very different at 70 to 30 or 40.

Hello Mollybee, it was really interesting to get your reply. Forgive me if you get two replies from me but I replied before signing in and can’t see my original reply so assume it didn’t get sent. Anyway, I am seriously considering coming off Anastrozole as my aches and pains, and the flushes and night sweats get me down and I would love to feel like my old self again. I am now 70 so have to accept some age-related aches but think I will perhaps not take the pills for a couple of months to see what happens. I am 3 and a half years on the journey so have given it a good go!!

I have this morning seen a really helpful reply on this forum, from Kathy - which I hope will help you with statistics and percentages, and Kathy, if you are reading this, I had no idea about Predict, so have now looked at that and it does indeed show things very clearly so thank you for that!

look forward to reading more of your posts Mollybee and Kathy.

all good wishes

Brenda

I agree that the benefits of an AI can be minimal - in my case 2/4/6% over 5/10/15years, which is one of the reasons I'm still looking at my first, unopened, box of Arimidex. Like you, I'm older and, as a childless widow, quality of life overrides a small increased risk of reoccurrence.

What I find particularly shocking (and this seems to happen in several countries) is the way that these figures are manipulated by doctors to make it appear that the benefits are greater than they are. I frequently read comments like "My doctor says it'll give me a 40/50% improvement" but  few women stop and ask, "50% of what?". If your risk of recurrence is 4% then reducing that risk to 2% is indeed a 50% reduction, but the reality is, as you say, only an improvement of 2%.

I cannot believe that intelligent, educated people like doctors don't understand the mathematical concept so have to accept that they phrase it this way to frighten women into treatment regardless of qol issues.

Thank goodness for https://www.predict.nhs.uk/index.html

Hi Brenda, thanks for your reply to my previous post which was back in November!  Hadn't realised it was so long ago.  Well, I told my oncologist about the severe joint pain and taking Tramadol and he immediately said I was paying too high a price for the small benefit of anastrazole.  Told me to come off it for two months and return to him.  This I did and the joint pain was dramatically better.  Still have the arthritis so will always have some pain but not like it was on Anastrazole.  He asked if I would like to try Tamoxifen which is 98% as effective and doesn't cause joint pain but does have other effects.  I decided I would and have now been on it for a couple of weeks.  I have awful indigestion which I'm assuming is one of the effects but ok apart from that so far.

What puzzles me a bit is that no-one on here seems to have mentioned that the hormone therapies, Anastrazole and Tamoxifen, only give limited protection from a return of cancer, a 2% benefit was mentioned to me.  It does make me wonder if quality of life (i.e. drug-free) should override the risk of a return of cancer, with all the difficulties that these drugs cause.  Admittedly I am older than many ladies on this forum and if I were younger, and with young children, I would take anything that gave me more of a chance.  As things are, I am prepared to suffer some indigestion but if things get worse I think I might re-consider, in favour of a more comfortable (if risky!) existence!

Good luck with your own treatment and I hope you continue with your treatment without too much discomfort.

Dear all,

not quite the same, but I was switched to exemestane + zoladex after (really) not getting on with tamoxifen, and I started experiencing joint pain (quite bad in the mornings). I spent 2 weeks with vegan friends, and the pain went away completely. So no cause-effect is sure, this is anectdata, but I was quite surprised and am certainly keeping my change in diet. When I came back home, I ate some leftovers with cheese in them and next day the pain was back - when I was more careful the pain went away. It could be worth a try.

I take valerian every night to sleep through the hot flushes, btw, seems to work.

Good luck,

Julia

Hi Mollybee, welcome!  I’m sorry to read that you are having trouble with joint pain, and it is natural to assume it is a progression of your arthritis.   I think we all have different reactions and side effects from these drugs, and really can only tell you my experience, and hope that others will reply too.  I also have the impression that Anastrozole is the best choice for keeping the cancer away.  I have had quite severe aches and pains since taking it, and my GP prescribed Amitriptyline which I take at night as it also helps me sleep! I am sure this is helping, although do still have aches but less severe. Another tip - I read on here a while back that even changing the brand of Anastrozole can help. I had been taking the Accord brand and then changed to Teva brand, and this has helped too, although my pharmacy can’t always get Teva, so it’s a bit hit and miss!

i do hope things improve for you, let us know how you get on. Best wishes, Brenda. 

Hi everyone, I had my bc treatment 3 years ago - mastectomy, chemo and rads and been on anastrazole since then.  I haven't been online for two years as I was never really aware I had any problems connected with my treatment.  I have had really bad arthritic fingers and thumbs for years but much worse in the last couple of years.  I thought this was just the normal progression of arthritis, until I saw my surgeon for my regular annual checkup recently.  For the first time I was asked if I had any joint pain.  When I mentioned the pain in my hands, which is really severe now, he said it could be the anastrazole making it worse.  I had also had cortisone injections into my thumbs a few months ago which had no effect at all, and the surgeon said the anastrazole could prevent the cortisone from taking effect.  He suggested I talk to the oncologist about changing to something else.

Im now wondering whether or not to ask to change. It seems from this forum that all the hormone blocking drugs have some side effects.  I do also feel tired and have hot flushes, mainly in the form of awful night sweats.  But my hands are so bad, I'm taking paracetamol and Tramadol but there isn't a lot of relief even from that.  I'm afraid if I talk to the oncologist he will say (as I've heard others were told) that anastrazole is the best insurance against recurring bc, and I will have to choose between recurrent breast cancer and arthritis.  A rock and a hard place!

So much to say if interested I will finish later
Of to work
As a new anastrozole taker - 4 months now
My docs n I both agree one should b taking calcium n D3 when taking Anastrozole. I believe this is protocol. (How much was the question). The D3 helps the joint pain. Also weight bearing exercise.

This is the path I took. Please note if need proper medical terms, I will look up for you. Below is layman terms and summary.
1) I took 1 month of research n questions b4 I decided to take Anastrozole (or different pill or no pills)
2) Anastrozole can cause osteopiana or osteoporosis - bone density test should b done b4 taking any of these pills (exem, taxo, etc)- Bone density test was done on right hip and tailbone. Right hip showed mild osteopenia. Anastrozole takes calcium from bones. I believe that is part of joint pain.
3) blood work from prior records (annual blood work, blood work when flu, blood work results when determining bc, etc) plus get new blood work.
4) based on 2) n 3) I worked out what I though necessary and brought info to docs.
We came out with calcium n d3 amount
5) so I take my pills, walk twice a day, n at work I move as sitting to long make u stiff
Off to work
Hope this helps someone

Hi Rosemerry. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I don’t think there are any non drug alternatives, but see if you can try a different brand of Anastrozole. I started off with Accord brand and swapped to Teva, and my aches and pains have improved. I am also on Amitriptyline for the pains, which I think are helping. Unfortunately both Anastrozole and Amitriptyline can make you gain weight, which I’m not happy about, and am thinking about coming off the Amitriptyli, but it’s difficult to know what to do.. I do hope someone on this forum can help you. Take care.

Yes. Severe pain that keeps me awake even with a sleeping pill sometimes. So bad. What is the alternative? Any?

Hi - Thank you for the information. I did not know there were different "brands" of Anastrozole. I started mine about 2 1/5 months ago and the pain in the joints is getting so severe. I am very new to this forum. Aren't there non drug alternatives to estrogen blockers? 

I started having joint pain several months after starting anastrazole.  I now take glucosamine and find this helps a lot.  My hands and legs still feel very stiff first thing in the morning, but I don't get any joint pain now.  I just wish I didn't feel so tired and could get rid of the hot flushes.

Hello,

I am new to this group and would love some advise on night joint pain. My knees are waking me up at night throbbing. I try and exercise every day to help with the pain but this is getting unbearable at night particularly.

Any advise/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thank you 

Vicki that sounds rotten for you.  I'm now 4 months into Exmestane after a month off anastrazole.  I am struggling with fatigue again but my joints seem to be okay so far.  It's odd how we all react so differently.  I was told tamoxifen would be the next one to try if no joy with Exmestane, but I'm hoping I will continue to be okay (other than the fatigue) - have you some options to change again?.  Anxiety was definitely an issue for me on Anastrazole and I think others have done well with amatryptaline.

I felt so much better for having a break, I was very anxious about starting another tablet.  However, I then found another lump.  Luckily it was absolutely nothing to worry about, but the fear led me to start tablets again.

Wishing you very well xx

Hi Vicki.  So sorry you are having such a miserable time. Not sure how much I can help as I am suffering with joint pain, tiredness and hot flushes. I have been taking Anastrozole for two years. I had read on this forum, and have first hand witness reports from someone who changed brand of Anastrozole with amazing results.  I asked my pharmacy if they would order a different brand for my next repeat prescription but unfortunately they were sent the old brand by suppliers. New ones ordered again so I HOPE I will be able to report something positive in due course.

Regarding the Amitriptyline, I hope you were told to take this at night?  As well as helping with the pains, it really helps me to sleep.

I really hope someone on here will be able to help you, and look forward to reading about your progress.   Brenda.  x

Hi Vicki.  So sorry you are having such a miserable time. Not sure how much I can help as I am suffering with joint pain, tiredness and hot flushes. I have been taking Anastrozole for two years. I had read on this forum, and have first hand witness reports from someone who changed brand of Anastrozole with amazing results.  I asked my pharmacy if they would order a different brand for my next repeat prescription but unfortunately they were sent the old brand by suppliers. New ones ordered again so I HOPE I will be able to report something positive in due course.

Regarding the Amitriptyline, I hope you were told to take this at night?  As well as helping with the pains, it really helps me to sleep.

I really hope someone on here will be able to help you, and look forward to reading about your progress.   Brenda.  x

Hi all..... I really need some advice. I have started anastrozole after the exemestane side effects made me feel nauseous all day & joint pain was horrendous. I had been on tamoxifen for 2 years and had what I thought were bad side effects. I am 43 and in 2014 was diagnosed invasive breast cancer stage 2b it was 4.9cm & I went on trial to see if I could get a lumpectomy which I did as went to 1.9cm with chemo and 30 rounds of radio. I then had preventative surgery and had my ovaries & fallopian tubes out hence post menopausal now. The nausea is less bit joint pain the same. I can cope with pain buy not this... I am crying from the pain. I have crohns so any anti flammitory is causing that issues.... I am so tired and sore and am at my wits end. I was given ammitripilin when on tamoxifen but made me muzzy headed so I stopped, I take gluclostamine, turmeric, vit d, magnesium natural aids but no difference, I am also having insomnia..... I don't know what to do.....

Hi Katy, I did forget to mention that, unfortunately, partly due to Anastrozole and partly due to my own lack of good sense, I have put on over a stone since starting Anastrozole!! So cross with myself but I do think it is partly medication. Hope you enjoyed your walk with your friend, it is much more fun walking with someone else isn't it. Do hope you feel better. Keep in touch. X

Hi Brenda I admire you for changing your lifestyle, I will try harder. I've been a walk today with my friend who is on chemo at the moment. Well done on losing so much weight.

Hello Dellywelly xx

Ouch, that sounds rotten. It's funny my oncologist told me I'd get used to anastrazole, but the surgeon said stop straight away! X

I've reported the back pain to my renal consultant, who ordered bone scan, then x-ray follow on, then from those results, I'm booked for MRI this week. He said he would write to oncologist to ask for change from anastrozole, as I am showing high serum calcium, bone thinning and have a patch on my femur that doesn't look too good. He said anastrozole is known to be the cause of this. Funny how oncology underplay the side effects. For me it's not just a bit of pain, it's a real physical effect on my bones and joints. Feel like blood has to squeeze through joints at the moment! 

Good day. 

I'm also struggling with severe joint pain. I was diagnosed in 2014 with breast cancer, stage 1, i had a limpectomy , 6 weeks radiation. I fistvuse tamoxifen, but couldn' t get on with it. I've been using Anastrazole for a year, but its killing me. Im strugling to stand up when i.d sit for a while, during the night im aware of joint pain,  want to do exercise, recommended by drs ,but cant get myself in foing so. Numbness in fingers, stiffness in legs, any help or assistance regarding this. Im feeling in stop taking this and use canabis.   Anyone feeling ,experiencing the same? 

It's been an eye opener the last few weeks. Hoping it's not just a blip but will see how the next tablets go. It's been a heck of a wait for that MRI Rubycat xx

Janey, what a long list of improvements - I could do with those. Really glad that there is such a lot of benefit for you.  I'm now considering whether I should change from the anastyzole.  Am just going to wait now till after my second Dexa scan (May - hopefully) and the MRI (whenever that will be) to see if there are any changes with the old bones.  Cat Very Happyxxx

Hi

I thought it may be useful to update on how I'm getting on off the Anastrazole.  I'm committed to starting the Exmestane in a couple of weeks (BC was my second hormone fed cancer), but am (given the following!) anxious about starting another drug.  

I had put the side effects I was struggling with (particularly the fatigue) down to the after effects of radiotherapy and also my head catching up with what I had been through.  I'm not really a complainer and thought any side effects worth it, to stop another cancer getting me. It was difficult to pick out what side effect was due to what. However, this is what I've noticed since stopping anastrazole:

• The fatigue has gone completely 
  • I have more energy
  • My concentration and memory have both improved 
  • I can do my job with more confidence
  • I now feel 52 and not 92 - I can get off the sofa with a middle aged "oof" rather than feeling as if I need a hoist!
  • My libido has improved
  • No more than the odd warming menopause reminder - maybe one every other day, no flushes
  • Improved mood - even my OH nervously said I seemed happier!
  • I feel joy
  • I sleep!

I am committed to taking Exmestane, as there are so few negative comments on here.  I'm holding out for it being better than Anastrazole.

Cherry, I do find glucosamine has helped me and joints.  I had been taking ibuprofen but on typing this, realise I haven't taken any for a while!  I'm not anti medication and have always followed medical advice.  However, the last few weeks have been a shock to find me again.

xx

Hi Katy, I know what you mean about forgetting the green tea so I have put mine next to the kettle too!  It's worth a try isn't it?  I too worked in an office for the whole of my working life and did less and less exercise and put on a lot of weight.  When I was 64 I started going to the gym and eating sensibly and over two years I lost over five stones. As soon as I reached my target weight I got breast cancer!!  Most people thought it was really bad luck, but I feel I was lucky to be in such good health when I needed to be.  I really do feel that exercise has been good for me but, of course, the gym doesn't have the same appeal for everyone, but I really think walking is probably the best exercise generally.  Am planning to do the Race for Life again this year (I don't run!).  Anyway, I hope you find your way back to this site, would be good to know how you get on.

All good wishes

Brenda

Hi Brenda  I had green other day and it seemed to work.  I keep forgetting to have it, so now the packet is near the kettle until it becomes a habit.  I read today about exercise is good for bone health, and as I have been told I am borderline osteopenic I am making more effort to walk more but the gym doesn't appeal.  I have been on my first Lets Walk and Talk organised by Macmillan locally with other people going through or recently completed treatment and it was good.  It is a start and I am making more effort to be more active as I know now it helps our outcomes.  I worked in an office doing long hours so developed a sedentary lifestyle which I need to break.  Hopefulky if I can find my way back to this page I will update on the use of green tea.  my bone pain fluctuates so it might be a while before I am sure. Thanks

Hi Katy.  I do hope the green tea helps.  I still have the knees and hips pains, mostly in the night and first thing in the morning, but there is definitely a lot of improvement.  I have just got home from gym and it always makes me smile when I think of people seeing me walk in, looking every bit my age in terms of walking, and then seeing me walking so much better...could almost skip out of there...after my workout. It takes more willpower to go there but I do feel so much better afterwards.  It helps that I enjoy the exercise of course and I know that this is not the case for a lot of us, so hope I can keep it up.

I hope all goes well for you and will be interested to know if the green tea works!   X

Hi Brenda

thenks for the tip on green tea, I am definitely going to try it.  I've had increased joint pain too especially in my thumbs since taking Arimidex.  I've had osteoarthritis for a few years now but it has definitely got more painful recently.  I also find tomato based sauces aggravate mine and some people react to dairy foods.  Thanks again, just going to put kettle on...

I was thinking of taking Exemestane instead of Anastrrozole terrible joint pain for 9  months, I read yesterday that a side effect from exemestane  is dermatitis and edema,  I didnt see that with anast.  my friend  has both from her cancer  her leg is all blown up ,it never goes away  leg so heavy she can hardly walk very confused terrible to suffer like this .

Hi Jaya, sorry to read that you are suffering severe joint pain because of Anastrozole. I have been on it now for about 19 months and have had pain in hips, knees and hands, with the added joy of a trigger finger on each hand, which has been very painful, so I do understand what you are going through!  I am still able to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week, and although I don't feel I have the same amount of energy I had pre-Anastrozole, I do feel better after exercising, which is different from your experience.  I do have some positive news though.....for the past six weeks or so I have been drinking green tea (can only manage the mint variety) and I really don't know whether it is coincidence but my aches are noticeably better and even my trigger fingers have improved. I only mention this in case it is worth you, or other sufferers, giving the green tea a try.  I do hope things improve for you, I know how debilitating all this is.  I hope you will find this forum as helpful and supportive as I have.  Let us know how you get on please.   Brenda.  X

I suffer from severe pan from Anastrozole; I believe. I have IBC ( inflammatory) stage 3 B. Been taking anastrozole 2 years. I honestly worry its destroying my joints. Pain incredible after activity. Only relief I found heat, and lidocaine patches.

Hi Emma. I think you've had more than your fair share to deal with! I've taken glucosamine and evening primrose oil at high strength for several years, as total hysterectomy left me immediately menopausal and I wasn't allowed HRT - I was on the point of begging for it when BC diagnosed. I have to say I had issues for the first few months with nausea and flushes with Anastrazole but then settled. It was only when I went to the surgical review this week that the dr said give another tablet a go. I am not sure if it is the tablets causing the joint pain but 2 days off has left me far more comfortable. I do believe in taking them though, as I've been hit twice now with eostrogen fed cancer, so will persevere. I think it's only the unlucky few who have bad side effects but it is noticeable how few are on the site talking about exmestane - watch this space! There are a few of us from the Exeter area floating around! X

Hiya everyone .... it's Emma from Exeter. So so sorry to hear about those of you experiencing problems with anastrazole. I now feel very guilty as I've not had any side effects - so I've been stressing it's not working properly. My BCN says this is not the case so guess I just have to trust what they say. I also have the zoladex injection once a month to make me menopausal, no probs with that either.
I was so stressed and nervous about starting anastrazole thinking I'd be in pain all the time - so in that respect I'm very very lucky.
I do remember before I started that my BCN said if I did have issues that many other women have improved symptoms by taking high strength evening primrose oil, high strength cod liver oil and high strength glucosamine. Have you tried this for your side effects?
Aside from no side effects I've had shingles, tonsillitis and hacking cough in the space of 2 months. ...so maybe that's to make up for no probs on anastrazole. Lol xx

Hopes the examestane improves things and will be watching with interest, 7 months on anastrozole hasnt got any better! X

That's the one! Xx

Yeah, all empty. Cat Very Happyxxx

Rubycat, you are tip top friend always and I'm on the case with a note book to hopefully note lack of symptoms - and a bit excited to have 4 weeks off all meds - hoping not to walk like Wallace and Grommit in The Wrong Trousers!! I was being very lazy and should have named you both Emma and Lena Mary! Thank you lovely Delly Xx

Not an Exeter friend, but can I still count?!Cat Very Happy  That's interesting Janey to change to exmestane, will see how you get on. Will be interesting if the aches & pains go within these 4 weeks - I'm sure you're right that there are no complaints about the exemathingamejig.Cat Very Happyxxx

Good Luck with your treatments and therapies. Sending my love to all you girlywhirlies.

Dellywelly xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi. Well, as of yesterday I'm off Anastrazole for 4 weeks, then on to Exmestane. My joints were starting to get unbearably painful. I'm feeling positive there is so little on the forum about exmestane and hope that's due to reduced side effects. How are you Exeter friends doing? X