cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

Highlighted

Re: Pain relief for sore joints when taking anastrozole

Hi Chrissie,

Hope your pain has continued to reduce since stopping Anastrozole and you are feeling much better.

Thinking of you and all those SEQUINS. 😀

M x

Highlighted

Oops! I must be a real druggie! I'm on 75mg a night!!  Hoping that you are at least sleeping better, Brenda. That will certainly help your pain perception. I am having my second day of significantly less pain. it would seem that once the Anastrozole worked its way out of my system, I have felt much better!  I am really hoping this new drug will continue to agree with me, as I still have another mine and a half years to go!!

Highlighted

Hi Brenda,

I started at 10mg but it wasn't until I got to 25mg that I had a significant reduction of pain in all my joints. The pain hasn't gone completely but when I tried 30mg a few weeks ago I got awful vertigo so will stay at 25mg.

Looking forward to hearing you've had a successful outcome.

M x

Highlighted

Thanks MM......As I VERY occasionally have a 25mg Amitriptyline to help me sleep, my GP said I might as well start on this dose, so hopefully I will notice a difference in due course. I will of course report back! Thanks for your good wishes. X
Highlighted

Hi Brenda,

I hope the Amitriptyline works for your pain. Has your GP started you off with a 10mg dose? They usually do to give your body a chance to adapt to the drug before gradually increasing the dose by small increments until you feel the required pain relief.

As Chrissie says, persevere because it takes time to work its magic. Fingers crossed it works for you soon.

Sweet dreams.

M x

Highlighted

Hi Chrissie,

What lovely news to hear your back pain has noticeably changed since taking Exemestane and you have been able to have a good night's sleep. I hope this is the turning point for you and taking this different aromatase inhibitor will continue to make life easier for you.

Onwards and upwards.

M x

Highlighted

Hello Brenda,

Yes Amitriptyline is generally good for pain, I have been taking it for many years for my arthritis, along with other drugs. You might not see a difference straight away, but it's worth persevering with it, once you get the dose right, and a good night's sleep always helps . I am hoping that now the Anastrazole is out of my system, I will be able to be more active. Good luck with the Amitriptyline!

Highlighted

Hi Chrissie and all.  Pleased to know that the aches have improved since you stopped taking Anastrozole....hope it continues for you. I have seen my GP today and she has prescribed Amitriptyline for four weeks to see if that helps....fingers crossed!  Will let you know how it goes.  My hands are really painful, and my knees, so really hope the Amitriptyline helps. At least it will help me to sleep if nothing else!   So pleased to have found this forum.  Best wishes to all.  X

Highlighted

Hello ladies!

My oncologist changed my aromatase inhibitor from Anastrazole to Exemestane. I have been taking it since Friday. Last night I slept really well and woke up with minimal pain. The difference in my back pain is astonishing, as I have been feeling so ill with it.  I even managed to take two dogs out for a lovely long walk! It's early days, but for all those of you that have been experiencing the same pain as I was, perhaps it's worth talking to a GP or oncologist

Highlighted

Thanks so much Chrissie.

I have a wonderful vision of you buried in all the sequins and tulle. It's made me smile. 😀

The producers of Strictly Come Dancing will be looking out for you to help in their costume department.

M x

Highlighted

Hello M, 

I would concur with Brenda re. Cutting the  apron strings  . In the few days since I found this forum, you reached out to me to give me reassurance and reading some of you other posts, I can see that your kind, measured and informed messages must be a great support to many of us. It's hard dealing with this alone, and I suspect that even with the passing of time, the C word will always be firmly planted in our brains.  I did enjoy my afternoon buried in tulle and sequins yesterday, just a few more thousand to stitch.........

Highlighted

Brenda,

That's very kind of you to post such a lovely compliment for me. I'm blushing!

Wow! The Hawk Walk sounds amazing. I'm a member of the RSPB and love our feathered friends. You have given me an idea to investigate. I’m currently saving up to be a Zookeeper for the day with either the elephants or carnivores at my local Zoo.

Hope the cuppa and painkillers work.

M x

Highlighted

Magical Moon, I appreciate what you say about considering cutting the apron strings, but from a purely selfish standpoint, I'm glad you haven't done it yet as your posts have really been helpful to me and I'm sure many others have benefited too. Thank you, I have had a lovely day taking advantage of a present from my husband at Christmas, which was a Hawk Walk.....two hours walking around with a hawk on my arm and it flying off and returning to me for food.  Really rough terrain on newly ploughed fields, and my knees were complaining, and also my hands, but having cuppa, rest and painkillers now so all will be well!  Thanks again for your help.  X

Highlighted

Hello Brenda,

I'm happy to hear you found the article reassuring and agree with you that many ladies would find it beneficial if it was more widely circulated after treatment ends.

Hope you are having a good day today and the sun is shining where you are.

M x

Highlighted

Good Afternoon Chrissie,
It is good to know that the article has been helpful especially as you are a fellow professional in the same discipline as Peter Harvey. It really helped me when I finished my radiotherapy sessions and felt as though I had been cast adrift to get on with my life post BC. I live alone with no family or close friends so my support system is pretty much non-existent. That's the reason why this Forum has played such a huge part in my recovery and made me feel less isolated.
I have met many lovely, kind ladies like yourself on here in cyberspace who are able to be honest about their feelings and their challenges with BC treatment. It does help to share feelings with others who have been through the same **** (rude word).
It is almost three years since I joined the Forum when I was first diagnosed. Sometimes I wonder whether I should cut the apron strings and leave but I still feel passionate about helping others get through this life changing BC experience in whatever small way I can. My third annual mammogram post BC is imminent on 30 September so I am currently on countdown for hopefully another favourable NED result.
Your day sounds lovely surrounded by hundreds of sequins and I'm sure your granddaughter will be delighted with her finished ballet dress. She'll be performing for you with pirouettes around the lounge. How sweet.
Onwards and upwards.
M x

Highlighted

Hello ladies, 

First of all, thank you for all your kindness; I have given myself permission to rest up and sew hundreds of sequins on my granddaughter's ballet dress - it keeps my hands moving, without too much of a strain!  Also, thanks to M for the informative article, which I read last night and has also helped me to put things in perspective. I will tell people when things are too much for me to do, and hopefully I will be able to deal with this horrible pain a little better. It's good to know I am not alone xx

Highlighted

Thank you Rita, my daughter lives in Lancaster CA (technically, she is on draft at Edwards Air force Base) I will ask her to look for them. Best wishes to you for a happy and healthy life going forward. I am so thankful to have found this online community

Highlighted

Hi Chrissie,

I live in a town outside of San Francisco.   Both products are available at most drugstores here or on line, no prescription needed.   Here are the web sites for the products for you to check out http://www.osteobiflex.com/products/ and http://www.megared.com/our-products/.    I hope one of them will work for you.   

All the best

Rita

Highlighted

Thanks again ....this time for the link. I have only read the short version so far but it is brilliant, and so reassuring.  It helps so much to know that our fears and feelings are "normal" and that, as with most problems in life, it takes time to get used to and accept that life is now different, as we ourselves are now different because of what we have experienced.  This article should be given to all of us as our treatment comes to an end!   Really pleased to have seen it, and I too will keep it so that I can re-read it as and when necessary.  Thanks again Magical Moon.    

Highlighted

Thank you for this, M. It is really helpful xx
Highlighted

Thank you M, I have read some of your other posts today, and you are very supportive to others, as well as being full of wisdom and kindness. I thought that I had managed splendidly getting through the mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy, but hadn't realised that would not be the end of it.  I cope with the Herceptin well, apart from the damage to my heart function (which I hadn't noticed) and my ticker is just about bouncing along the baseline for treatment, but this Anastrazole is a whole different thing.  It helps to know I am not alone and it is reassuring to know the kindness of others xx

Highlighted

Hi ladies,
I wanted to share an article by Peter Harvey that helped me after my active treatment ended. I have kept the reference on my iPad and re-read it whenever I am feeling particularly down. It is well worth a read because it endorses much of how we feel about this awful disease and how it has affected us.
Apologies if you have already seen it.
There is a short version and a much longer version with sections you can dip into.
Short version
http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/After%20the%20Treatment%20-%20Peter%20Harvey.pdf?openElement
Long version
http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/Peter%20Harvey%20-%20After%20the%20Treatment%20Finishes%20then%2...
Big hugs to everyone,

M x

ETA  Link to Long version changed as previous one didn't work for some reason.

Highlighted

Hello again Chrissie,

I couldn't agree more about the relentless pain dragging you down.  I remember my six months of unceasing, intense pain in all my joints. I dreaded waking up each morning knowing there was going to be no escape from the pain.  When severe pain dominates your waking hours it is impossible to ignore and feel joyous about your life.  My heart really does go out to you.  I wish I had a magic wand to help your pain disappear.

Have you tried Acupuncture or Reiki?

You are inspirational taking your furry companion out for walks despite your back pain.

Walking in the fresh air does help replenish the mind and keep the body moving. I haven't got a furry companion who needs walking every day so it takes much more will power for me to go out walking.  I live close to a very popular Zoo so, when I have the energy and motivation, I go walking around the Zoo for an afternoon. The animals and exercise always elevate my spirits despite my ankles, knees and hip joints being very painful the day after.

To be honest, I haven't come to terms fully with my new 'normal' post BC especially living with chronic joint pain.  However, with the help of Mindfulness, I am finding ways of not being too disheartened with my current limitations.  I think it is only natural for humans to think back to the days when they felt like young Spring chickens but realistically, I am never going to be able to climb a high mountain again or play a game of squash.  Sigh!

Anyone for a game of Tiddlywinks or doing a jigsaw puzzle?

Keep in touch Chrissie and never feel alone.  We are always here to support you, just drop by.

Peace and Positivity,

M x

Highlighted

Thank you Rita, hello from this side of the pond!  I tried glucosamine and chondroitin many years ago, then my rheumatologist said you need to take massive doses for at least five years, but the krill oil seems like a good idea to try. Never heard of Boswella, but will look it up.  Where in the U.S. are you?  Is Bi-flex available without prescrIption?  I have family in NC FL and CA.  I might ask them to check it out . Thanks for your support

Highlighted

Thank you for your kind words, Brenda, it means a lot that you ladies have taken the time to offer me words of support. I will have a chat to my Breast Care Nurse. who is lovely and was very supportive when I had my mastectomy.  Yes, it is definitely better to try to keep moving and I have a doggie companion who drags me out every day, but it is becoming harder to get myself going.  I do understand that my children need to be able to feel that I am back to normal, because of their own fears, but I am beginning to realise that the New normal is nothing like the old normal  xx

Highlighted

Thank you for you kind words, Magical Moon, it means a lot. It is the relentless pain that is dragging me down, even though I suspected it might happen, due to my disintegrating spine!  This is the first time I have joined the forum since I was diagnosed in May 2015 and it made me cry  with relief reading your  reply,  so thank you again. I should practice mindfulness (I am a psychologist) but at the moment I am overwhelmed by pain at a point when everyone thinks I should be better by now.  I will take strength from what you say and from the support you have offered xx

Highlighted

Hi Chrissie,

I am sorry to hear about the back pain and lack of support you are experiencing.   I have been on generic arimidex for about 4 months and also experience joint pain expecially in my knees and hips.   Let me first mention that I am in the States so things may be called by a different name.   My oncologist suggested I take glucosamine.   I have been taking a product called triple strenght osteo bi flex which has been helping.  The main ingredients are glucosamine, Boswellia (which is an herb that is suppose to be a cancer fighting agent and anti inflametory and Chondroitin.   A friend who also has joint pain(not caused by a cancer drug) swears by Krill Oil.   Which I will try next if for some reason the Bi Flex stops working.   Always check with your physican before starting a new med to make sure there is no adverse interaction.

Highlighted

A great reply from Magical Moon....it has encouraged me so hope it will help Chrissie.  This forum is such a help!  Keep posting ladies, we can get through this together.   Hugs.  

Highlighted

Hello Chrissie, I'm so sorry you are having such a bad time. Makes my aches and pains seem fairly mild in comparison. Being unused to all these aches before taking Anastrozole, it has come as a bit of a shock to feel as I do now but keep thinking how lucky we are to have this drug to prevent the cancer returning. Do you find that keeping moving helps? I do, but it takes some extra willpower to get going!   I think it's important that you have someone to talk to about your situation, especially as it seems your family don't really understand. I know it is difficult for people who have not been in our situation to know what it's like, and they all feel better if we seem strong, positive and optimistic, but I think we have to allow ourselves to be honest sometimes rather than putting on a brave face for other people's benefit. Do you have a breast care nurse to chat with? I have rung mine a couple of times and they are very approachable and friendly and reassuring. Please ring your nurse, if you haven't already done so....you need to talk!  It would be good to hear how you are getting on so please let us know.  I do hope you can get some more help.   Keep in touch, you are not alone!   Brenda  x

Highlighted

Hello Chrissie,

A warm welcome to you.  Thanks for posting on this thread and sharing your current difficulties with unbearable pain.

I am very sorry to hear that despite taking strong medication you are having little success in relieving your pain.  Having experienced unbearable pain myself for six months when I first started taking Anastrozole (before GP prescribed me Amitriptyline), I can fully empathise with how you are feeling.  It is utterly miserable having to cope with severe pain every day.  It just wears you down.  It makes it even more difficult if you have family members who want to see you happy because you have 'survived' breast cancer. It can be hard to make them understand that sometimes the hormone therapy we have to take to keep the 'beast' from coming back, is just as challenging for our bodies and feelings of positivity. Of course, there is no question that hormone therapy is a lifesaver but it can also feel like a poisoned chalice for those ladies who suffer badly from severe side effects.

It is interesting to read that your oncologist is going to recommend to your GP that you try Arimidex.

A few weeks ago the intensity of my chronic pain increased again so it spurred me on to ask my GP if I could try Arimidex to see if it decreased my joint pain.  She said it would be unlikely to make any difference from the Anastozole generic brand. Mainly because she believes my body is super sensitive to being almost totally deprived of oestrogen.  Some ladies can tolerate the lack of oestrogen but others have significant problems with the deprivation.

I think you have made a good decision to start taking Fluoxetine again and your GP appears to be favourable to this.  I know many ladies are often prescribed an anti-depressant to cope with menopausal symptoms brought on by BC hormone therapy.  Citalopram and Effexor are two alternatives.  If you didn't like taking Fluoxetine maybe you could ask your GP if you could try an alternative.

My words of wisdom to you would be as follows:

- Be kind to yourself. After BC it is perfectly OK to give yourself the priority pass.

- When you feel down, remind yourself that you are a remarkable success.  You have had the courage and strength to deal with the massive challenge of a BC diagnosis and you got through it.  Amazing achievement.

- Live in the NOW and take time to appreciate the lovely things that make you feel warm inside. I can whole heartedly recommend Mindfulness.  Ask your GP if you can have some Mindfulness counselling.

- Do not feel on your own.  We are all here on the Forum to help one another. We can empathise with you because we have been on the same 'grotty' rollercoaster.

- Feel free to PM me any time if you would like to.  I've been in that dark place of unbearable pain where you feel like giving up but have now found ways to cope better and find the light. Some days it is harder than others but I keep trying.

Sending you a big HUG.

M x

Highlighted

Hello, I am completely new to this forum, but I am having unbearable pain in my back (pre-existing condition) hands and feet also with a trigger finger in my left hand.. I have been taking Anastrazole for seven months. I am already taking maximum doses of co-codamol, Gabapentin, Ibuprofen and 75mg of Amitryptilin. My GP thinks my increased pain perception is due to me coming off fluoxetine, but my oncologist says that anastrazole could be adding to my problems and is asking my GP to prescribe Arimidex. From what I can see this is the same drug but more expensive.  I feel completely miserable and have nobody to talk to about this, as anything less than full-on chirpy behaviour is interpreted by my family as being negative!  I have agreed to go back on the Fluoxetin, but sometimes find myself thinking that I can't do this anymore and thoughts of giving up and dying often pop into my head . Can anybody offer me any words of wisdom please?

Highlighted

Hi Val 235 and others. It is such a help to have everyone's comments and suggestions. I'm a year into my Anastrozole experience and my pains are getting worse. I've been up since 4am with pain mainly in hips, knees but worst of all in my hands. I have trigger finger (one on each hand) and having to wear splint cos of pain in wrist. Can't take anti-inflamms so rely on paracetamol which, to be honest, don't seem to help much....but thanks to all the helpful posts on this forum I think I'm going to ask GP if I can try Amitriptyline. Will put an updste on here in due course. Thanks again to all who take the time to give their advice and support...it helps to know we are all in it together!! Good luck to all Brenda S.
Highlighted

I have been off Anastrozole for a month now on instructions from BCN because of painful wrists thumb joints and weakness in my hands. I took it for 4 months and the pain got gradually worse. I saw her on Wednesday and was advised to keep off it for another 4 weeks as she is trying to establish if the weakness pins needles and pain in my hands is from the pill or the chemo. I have another appt. 24 September she has suggested that 

I go back on the pill and take in ever other day or half a tablet each day. This alarmed me I did have to finish chemo early due to neuropathy and was told it could leave to permanent damage but halving the dose halved I have not heard of before although I have read some ladies wonder why we are all on the same dosage. Anyone got any comments to make on this. Thanks Val

Highlighted

Hello Niffa,

Thanks for joining the thread.  The more the merrier so we can help each other through hormone treatment.

Congratulations reaching almost 4 years in remission. That is a huge amount of perseverance to keep the 'unwelcome beast' from knocking on your door again.  I will persevere too with Anastrozole despite the chronic joint pain because I do not want a recurrence.  I was ER+ 8/8, PR+ 7/8 so need the help of AI's.

I take my Amitriptyline with Paracetamol and, as I have said to other ladies, the Amitriptyline did significantly change my level of pain to manageable. The drug is taken at night before bed and it helps sleeping too which is a wonderful bonus.

It is worth trying Niffa especially when the side effects of Anastrozole significantly impinge on your quality of life. Good luck when you meet your consultant.

It would be lovely to hear from you again if Amitriptyline does help to reduce your pain also.

Big hug.

M x

ETA  Corrected spelling mistakes of Amitriptyline...........(Yet another senior moment)

Highlighted

Reading all your posts and sorry to hear you are having such problems.  I have been taking Arimidex (anastrazole) for nearly 4 years and gradually over the last year the pain has become really awful.  I am so grateful that there is something to take that does its job that I have tried to perservere but now it is becoming so life limiting.   So back to the consultant and wonder whether amitryptylene might help as paracetamol and codeine do not seem to help much.  Just need some sleep too!!!  Good luck to all and thanks for letting me realise that I am not the only one!!!  Niffa

Highlighted

Hello Kristind,
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I hope everything is good with you across the Atlantic and your discussions yesterday with your doctor about PT were productive. How did it go?
I totally understand your reluctance to take another pill. It took me 18 months to come to terms with taking additional pain control medication daily. But it is the only way I am able to continue with my 'life saving' hormone therapy.
Wow, the fabulous Stevie Nicks and her amazing voice. Guess my name could be associated with one of her tracks, 'Sisters of the Moon'. I LOVE the Moon and would consider myself a sister of the Moon.
The beautiful, celestial Moon has been a wonderful influence and companion for my entire life. More so, since my twenties when I started to travel the world on my own. The Moon has always been my reliable, permanent 'friend' when travelling solo to faraway places. It's always comforting to see the same magical Moon in the night sky on a tropical beach. Even back home in UK, it is the last thing I look for every night before going to sleep.
For these reasons, it is only natural for my avatar to be related to the Moon.
Similar to you, I love gardening and nature too. Enjoy feeding the garden birds, have a mouse that lives in my garden shed and a frog that comes every night to sit in one of my bird baths. All very beneficial for the inner soul.
Peace and Positivity,
M x

Highlighted

Thanks Magic Moon.  Love your name BTW.  Are you possibly a Stevie Nicks fan 'cause I love her music and feel your name may be Stevie/Fleetwood Mac related.  Then again, I could have that way wrong. Any way, I think it would be great to find our love for life in this forum to deflect from cancer and pain and talk of that which is bringing joy to our lives while dealing with the pain from meds/cancer.  I love to garden (my sunflower just showed face this weekend), sing and see theatre, for example.  We all have something that makes us smile, eh? Feel like you are a perfect connection for many as I see many posts and responses by YOU!  Positive posts!  

Thank you much for responding to my post, I'm just not into taking another pill so will deal with my anastrozole and talking to a doc tomor about PT.  I'm from New Jersey, USA.  POSITIVE THOUGHTS TO YOU AND ALL IN THIS THREAD!.....kristind

Highlighted

Hello Kristind,

Welcome to the thread and thanks for posting your BC experience.  I am sorry to read you are having awful side effects too. It must be very frustrating having problems with your hands especially being a pianist.

I hope you will get a few suggestions from fellow sufferers who are having joint pain issues while taking Anastrozole.

From my own experience, I am allergic to Ibruprofen, Tramadol, Codeine and anti-inflammatories so it took my GP several months to find an alternative medication which helped to reduce my severe joint pain.  It is a prescription drug called Amitriptyline and not sold over the counter. At low doses it is used for neuropathic pain.  I've been taking it for two years now.  It has not got rid of my chronic joint pain completely but it has certainly reduced my pain from 'unbearable' to 'manageable'.

If you can't find an over the counter drug to reduce your pain, you may feel like trying Amitriptyline via your GP.  It is always a personal choice which medication you try.

Good luck and a big hug.

M x

ETA.  GP started my Amitriptyline dose at 10mg a day but it wasn't until I gradually increased it to 25mg a day that I got the noticeable pain relief.  Some ladies I have met on this Forum got pain relief at a lower dose.

Highlighted

Hello to everyone!  Finally a forum that is relative to my pain issues!  BC history:  Diagnosed at 49, Nov. 2012, lumpectomy 2013, Lobular, ER+, 2/16 pos. in lymphnodes, Onco score 11/100 chemo, radiation all completed Oct. 2013. Tamoxifen to Exemestane and now Anastrozole since Sept. 2015.  

I'm experiencing ALL the pains described in this forum.  Lately my hands are experiencing tremendous pain, especially from forearm to thumbs. Sometimes driving a car with arms upward on steering wheel makes hands go numb and thumbs have locked up and twitch.  Massaging such a lot and squeezing a hard spongy object. Going to pursue physical therapy, yet feel it will provide only temporary relief; will see. Is there any over the counter pain relief outside of ibuprofen?  Oh yeah, I'm a pianist; figures I'd get this pain.

Lastly, I've experienced anxiety, as well.  Usually know how to get through with breathing or knowing triggers like extreme heat.  Anyone else with this symptom?  Positive thoughts to all...Kristind

Highlighted
Community Champion

Interesting discussion ladies! I was saying the other day to my HB that I wished I wasn't ER+, so didn't have to take the tamoxifen, but then I caught myself & said, but then I would have had a poorer survival number, which I don't want either!  It's a bit like brexit really, a rubbish choice between two unattractive alternatives😊.  Only each individual can decide what is right for her or him.  My oncologist said people are playing with fire if they don't take them & you might get lucky & you might not! We'll never know what would have happened.  You have to decide if your quality of life is so poor on them, that you are prepared to take the chance.  None of us wanted to be here, but it's happened to us all, more's the pity. Good luck everyone xx

Highlighted

I'm replying especially to Kim555pink.... I think your reply has been the most balanced and helpful I have seen.  Yes, I too hate staggering about like a 90 year old first thing in the morning and my quality of life has changed.  I also have trigger fingers on both hands.....but am not going to give in....the aches do improve the more active I am.  I do lots of gardening and go to gym a couple of times a week. It just takes a bit more willpower to get started!  I too am thankful that there is a pill that will hopefully prevent the cancer from returning....something  that wasn't available, or as successful, years ago when members of my family were not so fortunate.  Good luck, and keep as positive as you are now,  I'm sure your post will have encouraged others like me.  Brenda. 

Highlighted

I've been Anastrzole for a month and am starting to get the joint pains and stiffness everyone is mentioning.

Just curious if anyone has tried bioflex or other over the counter joint painmeds that has glycousamine and gotten any relief. 

Thanks 

Highlighted
Community Champion

I've been on Anastrozole for about 10 weeks now, started with the Accord manufacturer for the first 4 weeks (no side effects) then once I got my prescription from the GP the local chemist stocks the TEVA manufacturer which I've now been taking for 6 weeks. Side effects I'm getting now are stiffness of my joints especially when I've been sat or lying down for any length of time and aches and pains in my feet and hands usually at night only. I can't really say which manufacturers version is better though because it could be the build up of my body being starved of oestrogen which is causing me aches and pains so I do agree with Magical Moon, you can't condemn one manufacturers product because their side effects seem to be different for different people. Our tolerances are different to each other. As much as I don't like staggering around like a 90 year old first thing in the morning when I get up, it does ease and I think I'm quite lucky with my side effects so far. Just pleased that the oncologist was able to prescribe something to help stop the cancer returning!
Sending you all my very best - hope those of you suffering are able to find a solution soon 😊 Xxx
Highlighted

An interesting thread. I've been on the Accord brand since September 2015 with no obvious side effects. I ache a little, feel tired sometimes in the afternoons sometimes..but I'm 55 and would imagine I'd feel like this without the drug anyway. I was ER/PR 8/8 so will take it for 5-10 years if I'm allowed to.
Highlighted

Hi I just wanted to let you know my experience of taking Anastrzole. I only took the drug for 3 months then I had to come off it. I was in so much pain, all my joints ached and was unbareable. I have been off the drug for 6 months now and I still have the problem if not worse. I cannot walk up the stairs properly, my knees creek and I have to walk upstairs sideways. I am on tramodol and that's not working. I am totally fed up so I arranged to see consultant, who has done lots of blood tests and I hope to get the results in 2 weeks and maybe will get some answers and something to ease the pain in all my joints.x

Highlighted

Wow, 930Sun!
You have been busy posting the identical post on six different Forum threads. I have decided to respond to only one of your posts on this thread because it is one of the most popular threads.
I am sorry that you have had spotting after two years, it must have been alarming for you. However, many ladies take the Accord brand and do not have this rare experience/side effect. It is therefore very unfair to scare ladies who take the Accord brand.
You are claiming that the Accord brand is 'dangerous'. I think the use of the word 'dangerous' is OTT and scaremongering. Using this terminology does not help support the many women who take Anastrozole (Accord) to reduce their risk of a BC recurrence. When we take these 'life-saving' drugs, we are fully aware they are powerful, toxic drugs that can cause unwanted side effects but they extend our survival from this awful disease; breast cancer.

As quoted in a medical paper:
"Women with breast cancer, and even some of those who want to prevent breast cancer, will know of the Holy Trinity: Tamoxifen, Aromatase Inhibitors and Herceptin the 'chemotherapy' drugs that can fight breast cancer; the drugs that can help a woman beat breast cancer."

You are recommending the Teva brand and condemning the Accord brand just from your own experience. I took the Teva brand and had very bad side effects so you are lucky that you had no side effects. We are all different in finding the brand that suits us best.
I have been taking Anastrozole (Accord) for nearly two and half years now with side effects too. This is because my body is super sensitive to having my body almost completely depleted of oestrogen by approx. 97%.
As already stated, it is known that Anastrozole (all brands) can cause some ladies to have severe side effects but these side effects can change with different brands. This is mostly attributed to the different binding agents used by different pharmaceutical companies. Nevertheless, the key ingredient is exactly the same in all brands, i.e. the chemical compound, Anastrozole. The amount of drug is 1mg in all brands.
For this reason, it seems somewhat questionable that the binding ingredients in the Accord brand (small proportion) have suddenly caused you to have the spotting of blood. You do not say how long you have been taking Anastrozole for. Personally, I would go to my GP to discuss the blood spotting and ask them to check that no other medical condition has caused the bleeding.
Take care,
M x

Highlighted

In the hopes of helping several women please post and share my experience:
Try TEVA brand NO side effects!!!
My pharmacist switched brand to Accord and I had horrible joint pain and spotting blood after 2 years no cycle.
Accord is dangerous if it can stimulate ovaries after 2 years. 💖
Ask your pharmacy to order TEVA and if you have a bottle of another generic brand they should replace it.
Highlighted

I understand completely what you are saying as it is affecting me in quite a negative way too.  At the moment I intend to carry on with the Anastrozole, but time will tell.......it may come to a time when I take your approach and decide I want my old, pain-free life back.........I wish you well !  Brenda

Highlighted

I  have decided to stop taking the anastrozole. I am not willing to impact my current  good quality of life, with chronic pain, for a reduced likelihood of cancer recurrence. I am going to make sure I have mammograms once a year and deal with what might happen, rather than deal daily with pain or taking medications to mitigate side effects from anastrozole. I will explore to see if there are any natural estrogen blockers and I will in general be midful of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but chronic pain is not an option that I will choose.

Highlighted

I'm so pleased to have found this site as I am 11 months into my Anastrozole experience and feel as though the aches are getting worse. Definitely worse at night and first thing in the morning. Keeping active helps but it just takes more willpower to get started!  I'm 68 and still go to gym twice a week and do lots of gardening, but it is definitely harder to feel motivated when aching so much. I find it's mainly hips and hands that are affected, and I have now got trigger finger too. I feel that all this is a small price to pay to remain cancer free, but I can understand why so many people decide to come off the Anastrozole as I feel so different from my pre-A days, and I too am putting on weight, which is really annoying!   Very reassuring to know I am not alone in all this though!  Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

Brenda S