Qualifying for Oncotype test

Hi, I just wondered how you would go about persuading consultants to allow you an oncotype test if you had one lymph node positive?  I’ve noticed that some ladies with node involvement seem to have managed to get the test done. Can you pay for it privately?

Hi, I was node positive and my NHS consultant thought my case was suitable for the oncotype test to see whether chemo would be of any benefit to me. I think it all depends on your individual situation. For example, it might not be worth the cost of doing the test if the doctors know a patient shouldn’t have chemo because, eg, they have another illness that would make chemo too risky, or it might be obvious that the patient needs to try chemo because of their age or type of cancer, so they wouldn’t do the test. So my advice would be to ask if you’re a suitable candidate for the oncotype test and if you are, why, and if you’re not, ask why not. I would also ask what decisions would be made depending on which band, low, medium, high, your score is, as it’s kind of easier to know in advance of the results what your next step would be.

As for letrozole, like you I was concerned about side effects like cholesterol etc, but they can monitor it with blood tests so you can review the situation, so you could just try letrozole and see how it goes. I like being able to take something that guards against this horrible disease personally. My Moving On appt gave me a GP referral for the gym as exercise helps to lower cholesterol etc, so I went to a gym for the first time in my life and have kept it up! Regular brisk walks are good too.

All the best to you. I remember how awful it was waiting for results and treatment plans, but it does get less intensive eventually. Forum and phone line here is brilliant here for talking things through x

Hi 

I was one lymphnodes positive and I paid to have the oncotype test. To be honest it wasn’t worth it. My score game back intermediate and I wasn’t happy skipping chemo as if ur score is intermediate it cannot predict if chemo is effective or not. 

id probably say save ur money and not the biker and go for chemo. If it’s in the lymphnodes it’s probably circulating in the blood. Kill it off!! xxx