cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplements

11 REPLIES 11
SunnyBunnyHannah

Re: Supplements

Personally, I haven't been too reliant on supplements for the post treatment recovery. I try to get most of my nutrition via actual food. I try my best to eat lots of greens, dried fruits and drink a lot of juices. My favorite juice that I think is a "supplement" in my diet is carrot, beetroot and cucumber juice. Its delicious and I feel soo refreshed after drinking it. I really think that its helped my body grow stronger. The only actual supplement I take is opc which is grape seed extract. It helped me with my joint pains after chemo. I think its anti-inflammatory so it can help you manage chemo pains. You might want to read up on it and take it up with your doctor if you plan on taking it. I found this website helpful: https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/opc-vital-opc-capsules 

Joolsy66

I have always taken vitamins ..glucosamine ....vit D .....magnesium and now turmeric with black pepper ......wasn't told about any supplements following removal of breast and nodes ....so pleased to have info on here 

Natalie.rees

would i be able to take these supplements along side tamoxifen and do you know of any supplements that would help with menopausal symptoms  

Jells75

I’ve been taking cod liver oil,Sage and Turmeric with ginger and black pepper. I have noticed a mild difference in only a few weeks. It’s defiantly worth trying.

alexa1402

Hello! I prefer to use different supplements when that help me with joint pain. First of all, you need vitamin D, especially vitamin D3 because it is a pro steroid hormone. Glucosamine is also important and it really helps especially with knee pain. It helped me by the way. Now I am using testogen. Even though that the effect for women is lower than for men I still see the result. I think that you should try this testogen pills for health maintenance. By the way you'd better read about it first more in depth before you decide to buy

monicanatura

Glucosamine is an amino acid, when taken with foods, it is digested not absorbed. Glucosamine strengthens articular cartilage, so when taken away from foods, it absorbs. 
Tumeric needs healthy fats to help absorption, take it after a meal. 

Alvilajo

• Thanks for replying, I was also told omega 3 fish oil. What do u mean When u say glucosamine should be taken away from food, and turmeric healthy fats xx
monicanatura

Hi 

I take Tumeric for joint health, and as a general anti inflammatory. 
I’m a nutritional therapist and Herbalist who’s had BC, and advises people on

a daily basis on Supplements. 
I normally advise on taking Vit D, which helps with joint inflammation, and immune health. 
glucosamine should be taken away from food, and Tumeric with healthy fats. 

Pawsome

It’s also worth considering something like yoga or Pilates as that really helps with aches and pains if you don’t do something like this already. I do yoga - stretching and doing specific weight bearing exercises is really beneficial x 

Alvilajo

Thank you I will take a look cx

@Jaybro wrote:

Hi vic

I consulted a medical herbalist at The Haven, so she was very experienced in all aspects of breast cancer (and she’d been through it herself). She recommended a specific brand of omega 3, taken from the algae the fish eat rather than from the fish so more effective in her opinion, from a firm called Nuique. I’ve just started taking it for disabling joint and muscle pain so it’s very early days (I’m also having a break from the anastrozole to get rid of the joint pain and then restarting it with the original brand I had which caused me no problems - my oncology nurse said several of her patients had found changing brands solved things). I considered glucosamine and turmeric but I think 2 things at a time and see if either helps, then try something else... 

Jaybro

Hi vic

I consulted a medical herbalist at The Haven, so she was very experienced in all aspects of breast cancer (and she’d been through it herself). She recommended a specific brand of omega 3, taken from the algae the fish eat rather than from the fish so more effective in her opinion, from a firm called Nuique. I’ve just started taking it for disabling joint and muscle pain so it’s very early days (I’m also having a break from the anastrozole to get rid of the joint pain and then restarting it with the original brand I had which caused me no problems - my oncology nurse said several of her patients had found changing brands solved things). I considered glucosamine and turmeric but I think 2 things at a time and see if either helps, then try something else... 

Alvilajo

Supplements

Hi, does anyone take glucosamine or cod liver oil to help with stiff joints from hormone therapy, I saw consultant today and he said some ladies do and also turmeric. Would like to know what you take and if it’s helped

thank you vic xx