Tamoxifen & Monthly Zoladex Injections

Hello,

I was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer last October 2020. I had 3 tumours all of which were oestrogen positive (8/8). I’m 43 years old so the Oncologist has recommended ovarian suppression via Zoladex, following my surgery in November.

I had Tamoxifen for 3 weeks before my injection with no major side effects.

I’m now 3 weeks post Zoladex injections and I’m waking up every night with several hot flushes. They are not happening in the day. They are often with a headache. My sleep had been very disturbed since my diagnosis but I felt I was just starting to sleep better prior to this! Has anyone else only had hot flushes at night? The Oncologist has said any side effects from Zoladex are likely to settle in 2-3 months. Has anyone else found this to be the case? Ive also been having crazy dreams!

Any advice would be greatfully recieved. 

Thank you, x

Hi Hope213,

I’ve been having monthly zoladex injections since last April and tamoxifen since the end of my chemo last September. It’s difficult to know which is the main culprit, but like you I have hot flushes just in the evening, starting anything from 8pm! I also have night sweats but they don’t wake me as such, it’s like my body has got used to it and I subconsciously clamber out of the duvet and by morning I’m wrapped back in it!
I think the main reassurance is that it soon becomes the norm and you’ll hopefully find your own pattern of side effects, if that makes sense.

sending strength and positivity xx

Hello Hope213

I am in similar medication following a mastectomy last June. I have hot flushes 3-4 during the night and maybe 1 or 2 throughout the day. I had a few headaches after my first injection but I don’t get them now. I have been having the injection and tamoxifen since August 2020. 
Good luck with your treatment x