Tamoxifen and Flying

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have been told to stop taking Tamoxifen a month before long haul flights?? I’ve spoken to my breast care nurse this mprning and my clinic advises stop a month before the flight.im a bit concerned as I have a few flights booked over the next 4 months so won’t be taking it consistently.

Hi Shocked, just out of curosity how long is your flight? I too have this query but my flight would only be 4 1/2 hours but I’m paranoid about blood clots.  I’ve only just started taking tamoxifen but have read online about the possibility of taking a low dose of aspirin. x

Hi rabbit - it’s a 9.5 hour flight - the nurse mentioned anything more than 6.5 hours.

The low dose aspirin is something I’m looking into as well

Hi Shocked,

I was advised to take an aspirin for long haul, as we were going to Aus & NZ, so I continued to take tamox as usual.

I’ve been on long haul since with no problems.

As ever, it’s the usual about keeping hydrated & moving legs & feet when seated.

Obviously, the advice could be different if there were any other health issues to consider & aside having had a bc diagnosis I’m otherwise fit & well.

ann x

Hi Shocked,
hmmm, it is confusing when there’s contradictory advice.
Certainly, when I asked the onc about this, apart from recommmmeding taking an aspirin, there were no other recommendations. However, I did use the anti embolism socks I was given for the surgery itself.
As you say, 6 weeks is a long time to be off it, it might be an idea to post in ‘ask our nurses’ if you feel unsure about what to do.
ann x