cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tamoxifen and weight gain again....

61 REPLIES 61
Highlighted

Re: Tamoxifen and weight gain again....

A lovely balanced post Charys. Like you I admire Winnerwinner for her upbeat approach to her diagnosis and treatment and wish her well, AND I subscribe to the "Moderation in all things" philosophy, or "A little of what you fancy does you good," (sung suggestively in true music-hall fashion!)

Like many others on here i made some lifestyle changes after my diagnosis which i hope will ensure a long and healthy life, but there are no guarantees - all sorts of people get cancer, and recurrences, whether they are fat or thin; fit or couch potatoes; veggie, vegan or carnivore; tea-total or tipplers; so the key thing is for people to feel OK about how they are living their lives and not feel they did anything to cause it if they get cancer, or a recurrence, and for them to BE HAPPY as much as possible. x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi there winnerwinner and welcome to BCC forums,

I am very pleased for you that you have found many avenues in life which, after your cancer diagnosis, have made you feel great. Its fantastic that you are only a year after diagnosis and bouncing with health! There is no doubting that your yoga, weight monitoring and healthy diet are clearly doing you good. Your confidence is high, as is your positivity (which are always welcome here) and you are certainly taking control of some of the factors in life that can make you feel good in body and mind. However, although your intent is good, and you are sharing some helpful ideas, I feel I must take issue with a few concepts that come through in your post. Please don't misunderstand me, having fought against gaining weight and having had such success is great, but I also don't want other people here to feel guilt or concern that they can't adhere to the extreme regime you follow.

Sounds drastic. You ask, is it worth it? I think staying alive and cancer-free and healthy is worth it, ladies. You think that piece of chocolate is going to make you feel better, it won't. You think you deserve a "little treat" after the hardships that you went through, but ladies, precisely because of the hardships, we must treat out bodies better.

Everything in moderation is the saying, and that couldn't be more true after dealing with cancer. Diet, food intake, exercise are all important parts of feeling well, but taking worries about them too far is not healthy either. I don't know many people who could do yoga every day, people can't (and shouldn't have to) watch every single bite or deny themselves treats. That's not living, those could be seen as obsession driven actions. I also feel that you are giving the impression that these changes in your life are what will keep people cancer-free and alive, as if it was something they did before cancer which precipitated them getting it, by not looking after themselves. Many women feel guilt about, and analyse if it was something they did to cause breast cancer, and nobody should think or feel that way. Of course, we should all try to stay as healthy as we can, but also as we have been given or are currently being given (in active treatment) the gift of our futures back, we also need to live in a way that makes each of us happy. Also for many, personal limits of ability need to be borne in mind and family/work/life committements.

I suspect this reponse I've made might draw some controversial additional posts, but I can't walk past and let other women feel they are failing if they a) have breast cancer or b) have a recurrence and it might be their fault for not living a healthy enough life c) are finding it tough to keep their weight down.There are plenty of examples on this forum of women who are/were perfect BMI, exercised a lot, ate healthily and still had a diagnosis. If I want a glass of wine and some chocolate, I go for it, as I personally have no intention of denying myself nice things, because I don't think it will make difference to bc returning or not returning. 

Please do stick around and please don't feel offended by what I've written, as I do genuinely feel pleased that you have found something that works for you, and feel so well. I appreciate that it was your aim to be encouraging and helpful. I just wanted to counteract your post with some other thoughts.

Highlighted

Highlighted

Yes! This is exactly what I wanted to hear Poobrains. Just picked up my prescription, hesitating taking it... I’ve put on 5/6 lbs since my diagnosis, I’m a size 10/12 currently and don’t want to put on more weight, which honestly would really get me down. Your post has given me hope that when I get back to exercising properly and not eating medicinal cake, I’ll be able to get back to my ideal weight and won’t feel all the hard work I’ll be putting in will be futile because of the tamoxifen - thanks!

Highlighted

Well, a few months in to the meetings for breast cancer survivors and a new eating regime which takes a lot to get your head around . It’s called The Keto diet . Everything we have been trying to do on healthy eating plans and this one goes the opposite. I can hardly believe that on this eating regime my husband and I have each lost a stone in weight and feel so much better. Basically it’s no carbs, no sugar ( or as little as you can manage)and full fat. Sounds horrific but it’s working. We only do it Monday - Friday as I love pasta but don’t miss potatoes or bread at all . Worth looking into . I was also taken off the Tamoxifen and back on letrozole . It’s certainly a journey . Good luck and good health to everyone for 2018 and beyond .🤗🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Highlighted

I agree.  I too, gained some weight after diagnosis and through treatment, but I also could not exercise normally and well meaning friends brought me tons of carb laden deliciousness.  I am now back to my normal routine and Cross Fit gym and have returned to my same basic build with my same old issues.  Limiting carbs and sugar is the key for me.  I did not have chemo and maybe that is possibly a factor.  We all have different experiences, but I do think it's important to stay positive and know that you have the ability to make changes and feel better by eating better and moving.  I hope this helps someone! Lol

Highlighted

Hi everybody , my oncologist has said it is definitely the Tamoxifen which makes some women ,especially post menopausal woman gain weight. My health board has now started a monthly meeting in the hospital for women like me and there will be a talk on what and what not to eat. It's all very well saying do exercise but some of us have suffered peripheral neuropathy due to the chemo. and can't do lots of exercise. I try with a few exercises but suffer a lot. If , like me , the chemo had ruined your taste buds then there are lots of foods you just can't taste or taste yucky. It's six years now since I was diagnosed . Partial mastectomy , six months , chemo and two months of radiotherapy. Five years on Letrozole and I've had one year of Tamoxifen . I hate the Tamoxifen and have taken myself off it for three months to see if there are any changes. I have weighed up the advantages /disadvantages and if I get some kind of life back without pain, flushes ,dry skin and the fear of cancer that Tamoxifen can start,  it will be well worth trying this for a few months. 

Its a journey we all go on with different side effects but I have never been so overweight in all my life. I don't eat an awful lot because of my taste buds so I'll keep you all posted on the meeting and how I am after three months. 

Shona 

Highlighted

Hello ladies, 

I am also on Tamoxifen and yes, I put a bit of weight on following my breast cancer diagnosis (half a stone), but that's because I wallowed in my misery, as well as my mortality and ate like an ejit! 

Two years on I've got my head round it all and I'm finally back to CrossFit (but unable to do some movements I was easily doing before my op). As ridiculous as this might sound, one thing I found out when I joined my new gym a couple of weeks ago, is that both Tamoxifen (Nolvadex), and Letrozole (Femara), are the most abused drugs in the body-building world - they are used for the same reasons we have to use them - to inhibit estrogen production, which enables the "hard" look you so often see in body-builders. I was both shocked and fascinated at the same time! Both female and male body-builders take it - and they dont get fat! 

I was also "warned" that Taxoxifen would make me fat - but it hasn't - putting too much comfort into my mouth did!  So, the advice I would give is embrace it, get into the gym and start lifting some weights - which will only do you a world of good anyway! 

Highlighted

I too struggled with weight gain, I put on a stone and a half in just a few months. I joined Slimming World and I've lost a stone and a half in nine weeks. I've only got a few more pounds to go. Hopefully it stays off. I would definitely recommend SW. Good luck. 

Highlighted

I have been on Tamoxifen since March 17. Weight gain has definitely been an issue. I seemed to be putting on a pound every week. I joined Slimming World in July and it's been the best thing I've done. So far I've lost a stone and a half, which has taken me about 9 weeks. I've only got five pound still to lose. Hopefully I'll manage to keep it off. 

Highlighted

I was given

Tamoxifen for 5 years - I had nausea,  hot flashes and I gained 30 pounds.  It has been 1 year since I have not taken Tamoxifen & I am having so much difficulty loosing this weight... Help....

Highlighted

It is not the tamoxifen which causes weight gain.
I stopped taking it myself for 2months. No weight loss & more weight gain.
Chemo& radiotherapy, lowers our potassium levels.
eat foods high in this & you will start to have more energy & see weight loss.
Highlighted

Hi, have been reading about weight gain posted here and have been on tamoxifen for a year after lumpectomy and radiotherapy. Have never been thin but watched my weight. Had lost 5 kilos before treatment and now 10 kilos more. Hate it as it is affecting my health and confidence. Have fibromyalgia with fatigue and some days do not function very well and am getting depressed with it all. Feel that I should be lucky given all those people who are fighting more than me but don't feel that. Glad to be able to talk about this with like minded people. X

Highlighted

Hello Ladies, I have been on Tamoxifen for 4 years and have put on 3+ stones. Previously was wearing tops at size 12 and bottoms size 10 and was active in exercises and took care of my calorie intake. My sizes went to 18 and 16. Also stopped exercising because of my joints were stiff / hurting and didn't have any mood to do anything as I was feeling tired most times plus with the low moods / anxiety were also not helping.

This year, my doctor sternly told me to try to lose some weight as my glucose and cholesterol levels were not healthy. On top of taking Tamoxifen, I have to take meds to lower the glucose & cholesterol.

So I started eating more healthier...... try to cut off carbs and eating half the normal portions. I start my day with rolled oats, lunch and dinner, mostly fish and veg, sometimes, once a week, chicken or meat. One thing, I totally cut out was juicing .... used to do juicing of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis and my doctor advised me to instead eat my vegs and fruits.

Also, started taking daily walks and just started on yoga. Till date, have lost about 1 half stones and it does feel a lot better. Hopefully I could lose the rest......
Wishing everyone good luck in weight control. Best wishes xxx

Highlighted

I was told my BMI was okay too . I've gone up to 11 st from 8 . It's all from the waist to the thighs . 😱
Highlighted

I'll need to do some research on this one but thanks for sharing, sounds very positive .
Highlighted

I had my yearly visit to my consultant and she said it's the Tamoxifen which puts on weight plus makes the flushes worse. My hospital is starting to invite women like myself who have reached five years ,on Tamoxifen to a talk on what we should be eating as we need to change diets. Going on a diet doesn't work nor does excessive exercise. I told her I've started doing the plank and she said that's the best exercise to do. I can't do much exercise as I have neuropathy in my feet due to chemo and my taste buds are totally wonky. 

As you say we are still here and that's the main thing . 

Highlighted

Hi. All us cancer patients end up having high cortisol levels which mess up our metabolism.
Please watch Dr berg his YouTube channel has helped many people. Also, if tired all the time, it's to do with adrenal fatigue. He explains weight gain through illness, high stress levels & major surgeries. The importance of vitamin C & Magesium. Rodiola complex tablets has helped to shift weight & following his advice. I had double mastectomy in 2013 & was 9st. Went up to 13st
If the weight is mostly in your stomach area, high chance you have high cortisol. Dr berg explains how to lower them. We need to up our potassium intake. Bananas, spinach & Advacado.
Please ladies don't suffer.
I'm now down to 12st which before I couldn't shift 1lb & you must not overdo on exercise Which raises cortisol. Workout every 2 days instead.
Highlighted

Hi. I had Ensure during Chemo as weight dropped below six stone. I am now almost twice that weight - not good but dieting doesnt work for me. It makes no difference. I am resigned to being a size 8 top half and size 16 bottom half but strangely my BMI is within (just) normal range for my height/bone structure. Its wierd. I think the endocrine effects of Tamoxifen cause a change in the way adipose tissue is laid down in the body and the way in which it stores fluid - If so then it would explain why dieting just doesn't work for most of us. I wish you and everyone success in trying to resolve weight issues - some people lose the weight when they stop Tamoxifen others, like myself, don't - but we all have one thing in common We Have Survived Cancer - which is wonderful. X
Highlighted

I agree with this but I eat a very balanced diet ( to me anyway) I changed from a dinner plate to a side plate to cut down portions. I couldn't eat for a year after all the treatment was finished and a dietician ordered Ensure for me which gave me all the nutrients I needed. Taste buds have never come back plus I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet due to the chemo ----sheesh !!!!!!!
Highlighted

Hi. Ask to see a Hospital Dietitian. Find one with Oncology experience. Please don't go on a strict diet - you need to nourish a poorly body. A well nourished person is healthy body. Tamoxifen does cause weight gain which has to be linked to hormones. Reducing food intake won't help that - but getting advice on a balanced diet and sensible portion control will help. I think we all under estimate our food/calorie intake. Ask for appt, every hospital has a Dietetic department. X
Highlighted

Hi. I jumped from a size 8 to 16 with the same brittle hair and nails etc scenario. I had a bi-lateral, radio and chemo then 'did' Tamoxifen for 18 years and am now in 26th year of remission (my Onco cannot give all clear due to status of cancer). Tamoxifen
was a challenge and I am Still over weight and I am not happy about the weight but grateful for Tamoxifen treatment.
But I agree, do what feels right for you - hope your side effects and weight resolve x
Highlighted

I've just been to see my consultant for the yearly check up and now await the mammogram . I am 6 years post diagnosis and have been on Tamoxifen for 9 months . The flushes are awful as is the weight gain. The consultant said that it's the Tamoxifen that is causing this and they have done a study of women , like me who are past the five year mark and nearly every one has weight issues . They are now starting at my hospital a meeting for us to talk to a nutritionist / dietician as our diet needs to change. I await this invititation with hope that they will give me something positive to work on. I also do the plank every day and although I am still a beginner I'm determined to keep going. Nothing can be done for the flushes until I finish on the Tamoxifen in 2021.  It's a journey I get fed up with but rather this than the alternative . My friend is finished with the hospital having reached five years but my health board are saying ten years now . 

Highlighted

May God bless you with strength and healing. Thats my prayer for you and all our sister survivors. This is my first post, but it's wonderful to know about this site. I have suffered weight loss instead of gain. However, i was spared the need for chemo, but after 7wks radiation i too was put on tomaxifen for 5 years. I was told to be aware of signs for bloodclots in legs. And since it was for treatment and not prevention i didnt read about the other side effects for apx 2yrs. Until I got tired of people asking me if id gotten hooked on meth cause what else could cause such rapid wt. loss. So being innocent of their accusations I decided maybe i should read the info provided with each refill. I've been off tomaxifen for 2&1/2 years now. Im not still losing but its hard to gain. Any tips ladies? My appetite and tastebuds are improving but I'm still 10 to 20lbs less than what ive been most of my life. My heart goes out to each and every one battling (BC) hot flashes and other side effects . The good news is they slowly go away, mine after apx 18 months into treatment. Being able to sleep about 6 hrs without having to change sheets 1 to 3 times a night was such a blessing I didnt notice my weight loss like others did. I just turned 55 on July 3rd and take no daily prescribed meds and haven't since ending tomaxifen. So i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and does it improve. Meanwhile I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. It's a tremendous battle (BC) at any stage or age. But, God is Able. And Im asking Him to touch each and every one of you with whatever you need to win this battle, as he did and does for me daily. May GOD Bless you all and your families. Amen.
Highlighted

I put on 2 stone on tamoxifen. I took it for the recommended 5 years. Suffered the hot flushes etc. I have now been off tamoxifen for 2 years and the weight will not go regardless of diet and exercise. My hair is still brittle and thin as is my nails and the radiotherapy damaged my hearing nerves leaving me with two hearing aides. By hey I am alive.
Highlighted

I don't see any message , young T
Highlighted

Highlighted

I know how you feel - I was diagnosed last June and had mastectomy, chemo & rads - on herceptin and tamoxifen - my hubby has been great but I feel like a baldy, one boobed umpa lumpa. Think we need to give ourselves a break though as we've had a really crap year. I could sleep all day and I'm on heart tablets - not how I thought I'd spend my 40s! We'll get there in the end 😉
Highlighted

I feel so sorry for you ,it must be really hard with 7 children to care for. I'm 63 but life has changed so much . The nerve damage I have is in my feet which the chemo caused despite the oncologist disagreeing but once I had shown him my research he agreed . I didn't have many side effects with the Letrozole but I wouldn't have stopped taking it as I felt it was a back up . In my area it's now 10 years before completely finished which is why I was put on Tamoxifen . I'll give it a four month trial just to see if it is the drug causing the weight gain. Fed up with it. I know how you feel about how you look too but you have to keep telling yourself that you are still here and it's better than the alternative. I'm sure your husband feels the same , talk to him and I bet he is just glad to still have you . 

💓

Highlighted

Thankyou Poppy3, I'm still going to give myself time off from the Tamoxifen just to see if it's the drug. I have never been overweight , could eat anything and everything until cancer came calling. I've had five years of Letrozole so hopefully having a break won't harm me. Fingers crossed . 

Thanks again. 

Highlighted

Hi I'm new to this forum I was diagnosed with breast cancer July last year had a mastectomy and reconstruction been on tamoxifen nearly side effects are horrendous hot flushes ,fatigued all the time I was normal weight now I'm overweight legs ,tummy,arms, joint pains etc I watch what I eat lose nothing told doctor I wanted to come off tamoxifen they said definitely not I'm a 43 yr old mum of 7 not been near my husband since surgery hate way I look its me not him he's amazing my breasts different sizes just hate it anyone else feel like this don't know where to turn go s don't listen every symptom I get like now pain in arm on breast cancer side now I'm always fearing cancer s come back i had lung nodes removed too now nerve damage on more medication
Highlighted

I've been on it since last October and have put on 2 stone . I'm having a trial off it to see if it's the drug or not . Never had so much flab and thighs like tree trunks , not happy 🤗
Highlighted

I was diagnosed in April 2011, two lumpectomies, 6 rounds of chemo , 19 of radiotherapy. I was on Letrozole for five years and had no problems then last October it was changed to Tamoxifen . Since then I have gained 2stones and the hot flushes are awful plus I think there is an odour from my skin although my husband and daughter can't smell anything untoward. I have decided to stop the Tamoxifen for a trial period as I just can't go on like this and I don't eat a great deal. When I had finished the chemo my taste buds didn't come back and everything tasted awful , I was given food in drink form which kept me alive. The chemo also killed the nerve endings in my feet and left with peripheral neuropathy . These two things my oncologist wouldn't agree that the chemo had done until after I did my own research and he then agreed . So , if I was to ask him about weight gain and Tamoxifen I doubt if he would agree so that is why I'm going to have a trial for a month just to see. Anybody out there have the same problem ? My taste buds have come back , took four years and some food still tastes yucky. What I would give for toast and marmalade 😉 Still here which is the main thing . 

Highlighted

Hi. I have been taking tamoxifen for nearly 3 years. During that time my weight gradually crept up almost without me realising it. I blamed the tablets as I know one of the side effects is weight gain. I got to the point where I felt chunky and knew I had to try something. I joined weight watchers to see if it would help. I did go with an open mind and was convinced i was wasting my time. The first 3 weeks I lost nothing, even though I had stuck to the suggested menus. I wanted to cry. But I kept going (not sure how!) Very slowly I started to lose a couple of Ibs every week. Over 9 months months I lost two half stone. Before I also suffered with fatigue. What I have noticed since changing my diet I have a lot more energy and I am not suffering with it as much as before which is a bonus! Hope this helps? Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi andeezegirl,

My weight has remained stable since starting tamoxifen, but I did make a conscious effort to increase my activity levels, as well as watching what I ate, but not dieting. 

Unlike you, however, I did not have the additional issue of recovering from chemo, so could pretty much carry on as normal. 

As far as the reason for weight gain, this does tend to happen with the menopause anyway & hormone treatment throws us into it if we're not already going through it.  I know now that I cannot get away with eating as much as I may have done when younger. 

ann x

Highlighted

Hi I know this post is 5 years old but if there is anyone out there could you please answer my enquiring if possible now that you must all have stopped taking it being all is well course.. were you ever advised why Tamoxifen puts weight on and if I was to go on a strict diet would I lose it... i've only been on it just under three months and I've put on over half a stone goodness knows where I'm going to be by the time five years of gone.. i'd also lost a stone and a half after having neutropenia the chemotherapy put on a lot of weight.. I feel very upset putting the weight on again as I'm going back up to 12 stone and I'm only 5 foot two.. many thanks in advance to anyone that may answer xx
Highlighted

Riverside what wonderful news! You must feel amazing & very encouraging for those of us still on it.  Thanks for posting & stay healthy xx

Highlighted

Good news for when you come off the drugs, the weight goes too! Stopped drugs in July and suddenly lost 1/2 stone this month. Have been checked, and no recurrence. Just got to shift the other stone I put on!
Highlighted

Hi.  Am on Tamoxifen and wondering how you did with it...in terms of weight/belly fat?

Highlighted

Hi, been reading your posts, and struggled with weight gain on tamoxifen too, 2005 to 2010. After only two and a half years off it I had four tumours of varying sizes, types. I was miserable on it and its all that's been offered so far at this diagnoses other than double mx. I am asking myself, is it worth it? You have got to weigh up quality of life, and for me, I'm not sure it was worth it, because here I am again anyway. That all sounds a bit negative but I wanted to post because your posts struck a cord with me. BC is bad enough to cope with without weight gains, hair loss sore joints skin breakouts mood swings etc. PoPo
Highlighted

I am on Letrozole and have put on weight round my belly area. If I was younger I would just look 6 months pregnant but at 67 I just look fat. I am only half way through my 5 years on it so I hate to think what I will look like by the end.
These hormone based medications seem to affect people in random ways.

Highlighted

HI all,
I started this thread way back in June 2012 a little over a year ago, thought I'd bring you all up to date. Since I posted this thread I have now put on a staggering 4 stone I've gone from a size 8 to a size 18!!!! I do 4 hours of intense yoga a week, I swim every other day in the sea (during the summer), I walk at least 10 miles of coast path a week, I dont eat dairy, sugar, I juice veg daily and take vit supplements and I still can't shift any of this dam weight. Due to such a fast gain in weight Ive experienced quite a few falls (ridiculous at the age of 45) really hurt myself and believe its due to not being used to the weight. Honestly its a nightmare! Just been to see Onc and she agrees that in my case it is the tamoxifen thats causing the weight gain and is testing me too see if I'm through the menopause yet then she will take me off tamoxifen and put me on something else. The weight gain is only one of the SE I am suffering on tamoxifen the others are severe joint pain in my ankles and wrists so bad that sometimes I can't walk also shuffle around a lot when I first get up out of a chair or bed, migraines with sickness. In my case Tamoxifen was the culprit not everyone who takes tamoxifen will suffer the same.
I was dx in Feb 2011 with primary + secondarys in lungs, I've done chemo/mastectomy with no recon/rads I'm on herceptin forever and supposed to be tamoxifen for at least 5 years, I've been through so much already to survive but whats the point in fighting and life if your plagued by all these side effects they are so debilitating, at some point you have to make a decision based on quality of life, it is with this in mind that Ive decided to continue taking the tamoxifen until sept this year (making it 2 years on) and then stopping it, my path was 4/8 so I am fairly weakly fed by estrogen. I am truly grateful for everything I've taken but enough is enough, I've read somewhere that being overweight can cause breast cancer and the irony is that I was never overweight before. Sorry for the rant needed to get it off my chest. xx
Highlighted

There seems to be no 'medical' evidence that it makes you 'put on weight' everyone is different and we should take it with a 'wait and see' view - if you read everything on here it will make you 'go mad' - so many conflicting stories!
Highlighted

Thanks SarahLouise, you've reminded me of an exercise my yoga teacher showed us for shoulders a while ago, I'll try it . She's on holiday at the mo but I thought I would ring her for a one to one lesson on shoulders, she's trained in massage too so may ask her if a shoulder and arm massage would help. I've been doing the exercises the hospital gave me and my shoulder is getting more movement, slowly....
Sugar is my big downfall, especially chocolate, so I'm cutting right down to just a small bit of high cocoa content choc. I've cut as much rubbish out of my diet as I can (crisps, biscuits...sigh..) my son has discovered baking though, and I don't want to discourage him as it's a relief to see him doing something other than computer games that he really enjoys. What can I ask him to bake for me, any ideas?
Highlighted

Hi Ali H, Just wanted to say thanks for checking out the blog and I hope it helps you in some way, I've been writing it since the start of this BC journey and wanted to try and make sense of the mountains of information on the subject putting it all into a blog has helped me to sort through the sometimes confusing and conflicting info out there. As for your arm, I found doing stretching exercises helped me most of all after the my mx with lymph clearance, I did go to a physio for about 3 months before hand as I was experiencing a lot of trouble trying to get my arm in the correct position for the rads, I suggest you check out the exercises on this BCC website as well as any your BCN might advise but also to do one that involves standing next to a wall placing your arm outstretched with hand flat up on the wall then turning your whole body to face forward ie away from the wall try this gently at first especially if you have only just had the op but this really stretches that whole region, my surgeon showed me this one, and through doing this simple exercise I was able to finish my treatments. Please remember that we are all so different and what has happened to me ie:wieght gain might not happen to you its like this whole thing is so individual, I am back on the juicing diet have been for the past 2 weeks and like birdicat have stopped all sugar and juice organic fruit/veg drink a pint of it a day, although I think the extra walk everyday is helping, think I've lost a couple of pounds.
Hi Birdicat, thanks for the links and would like to repeat what I just said to Ali H "Please remember that we are all so different and what has happened to me ie:weight gain might not happen to you its like this whole thing is so individual" wanted to mention Kris Carr to you and supply a link that you may find interesting if you have not already found this amazing lady. http://crazysexylife.com/about/ and http://www.crazysexycancer.com/
Love and light to you all
Sarahxx
Highlighted

Hi Everyone

Just to say, i too am about to start Tam this week. I have just finished rads after chemo yesterday. I lost weight during chemo changed diet through it. Went off sugar!!! I now only eat healthy food, nothing that has any preservatives/ chemicals in it or with sugar. I eat veg and friut ( the natural antidote to the sugar in fruit and veg is the fibre. Sugar found in its raw state is cane which is fibre) and anything that is natural wherever i possibly can. Our bodies (liver )cannot metabolise sugar naturally so it converts it into fat, hence, the gradual weight gain etc......you can tell i had way too much spare time on my hands whilst on chemo, however, i have learnt so much.
i have managed to maintain the same weight all through radiation for the first time in my life.
This could drastically change the new slim me when i start taking the dreaded Tamox with it's awful side effects. I am worried - fingers crossed.
Thought the links below may help........
Elle Macpherson aka the body, is best pals with this chap on the links below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2092206/James-Duigan-Clean-lean-food-special.
htmlhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1281923/Clean-Lean-special-Time-real.html
http://www.bodyism.com (recipes)
Best Wishes to all on the similar journey, X

Highlighted

Love the blog SarahLouise!! 🙂

Am due to start rads next on my Bollox-to-the-cancer journey, see my onc end sept....seems a long time away but my surgeon says that's the right time. So, as well as arm exercises to free my shoulder, resting (yeah, right) to recover from the op, smiling like the Cheshire cat to stop my family fretting about me....maybe I should tackle the half stone chemo fatigue helped me gain before I start tamoxifen...whenever that may be.... Stressed, me????? Nah 😉
Highlighted

Hey Delphine,
Thanks for the message, thats the first I've heard about eating acai berries being a no go with tamoxifen, I take 2 capsules of acai a day and have done from the start of all this over a year and a half ago, my oncologist knows what I take and has ok'd the suppliment list I gave him including the acai berries, sometimes I just take the acai berries on there own and sometimes I buy the ones they sell in holland and barratt that have green tea in them if you want to see what other suppliments I take check out my this page on my blog http://survivingthebeastwithin.blogspot.co.uk/?zx=8a84b31106cd4d9e

Hi Pam, I agree as soon as I stop eating bread even wholemeal organic bread I start to loose weight, so looks like I'm going to go bread free for a while see if it works for me, thanks for reminding me about that.
Love and light to all
sarahlouise xx
Highlighted

I was dx in 2003 and during treatment put on a stone, mainly comfort eating during trips to have rads, then another stone during 5 years of Tamoxifen. Tried SO hard to lose some weight whilst taking Tamoxifen, even with exercise and strict eating my weight went up and down by a few lbs.

Then 3 years ago finished Tamoxifen and started Letrozole, now on year 4 of 5 and have lost nearly 3 stone. "How?" you ask, well that I cannot answer but all I know is that I can't keep the weight on, now down to about 7 st 11 and I am trying so hard to keep my weight up without resorting to cakes and biscuits.
Since starting Letrozole have been diagnosed with Burning Mouth Syndrome which, I am told, 1 in 3 postmenopausal women suffer from, well I am the first I have heard of but the hospital say this and I have read that it can be due to a reduction in Oestrogen which the Letrozole is dealing with, so is that a good sign.
I think that Tamoxifen was the reason I couldn't losethe weight but I'm not really convinced it is the same with everyone, I think thats it the case that "everyone is different" as is the case with most of the treatment.

Hazel

Highlighted

I just want to put the other side for all those of you starting Tamoxifen and getting worried. This must be frustrating if it happens and I really sympathise, but it doesnt happen to everyone. I have been on Tamoxifen for 2 years and have not put on any weight. In fact I have lost some without trying. I actually find the Tam makes me feel full much more easily and has taken away all the pre menstrual munching I used to do! I have no experience of Herceptin.