Tamoxifen - any positive stories?

I’m due to start taking Tamoxifen today and I’m terrified. I’m worried it’s going to change me and not in a good way. Is there any positive stories out there? X

5 Likes

@PJB43  - I felt exactly the same as you do now when I started Tamoxifen about 4 years ago and I kept putting off actually starting the tablets! But touch wood I can report that it’s been ok, I only really suffer from hot flushes and I’m not quite sure whether that is due to menopause or Tamoxifen. I have always taken mine at night in the hope that I will sleep through any side effects but others prefer the mornings.

I don’t know if you have done searches on Tamoxifen, but if you search forums you will find more negative stories because people usually come on a forum when they have an issue, rather than to report a positive story.

Of course people do suffer from side effects, and your consultant will no doubt warn you of them, but this doesn’t necessarily mean that you will suffer all or any. My oncologist told me to give it about 3 months for side effects to settle, but if you do find you are experiencing some you can’t tolerate then do get in touch with your team.

Many people find they can tolerate only certain brands, but doctors don’t seem to believe that this is possible! I find Teva (now hard to get) or Wockhardt brands best for me, so if one doesn’t work have a word with your pharmacist and see if they can get a different one for you.

I really hope Tamoxifen will be kind to you - I’m happy to answer any other questions you might have. Do report back if you have a moment. Best wishes, Evie xx

Hi 

I’ve been taking tamoxifen since June and so far positive. Main side effect is night sweats and being hot at night. It’s not all the time and rarely impacts my sleep so manageable. I take mine on a morning. I have very rarely had hot flushes during the day.

When I was given mine I had a check up about three months later. I decided to start as soon as I was given them to make sure if any side effects had kicked in they did so before the follow up. 

As others have said not everybody has a hard time on them, and if you do you should talk to your team as there are things they can support you with. 

hope this helps, and hope you also have an okay experience 

stayzen 

Hi I have taken Tamoxifen for 7 years now and the only side effect was night sweats at the beginning which I managed to sleep through.  I take Wockendhart and through lockdown had to  take Tilomed, which was tolerable only slight headache and a bit down in the dumps. Now Wockendart back in stock back on these. I take every morning after breakfast with a large glass of water. Hope all goes well for you.

Hi, I’ve been taking it for 4.5 years and also just have hot flushes and normal menopausal symptoms - that’s if I’m taking “my” brands: your body gets used to whatever brand you take for the first 6 months, say, and then if it changes to another one with different extra ingredients, you might get other worse side effects, so try to be consistent (be insistent with the chemist and GP to make this happen!)

As the others have said, most people only come to the forum to complain, so don’t worry too much: the benefits are higher than side effects, hehe

Hi

I’ve been taking tamoxifen since nearly 3 months and no side effects so far. I am premenopausal and take it at night. Although, sometimes, I get irritated very quickly but this could be also due to my other tablets for an undetactive thyroid. I try to think positive and always to remember benefits of tamoxifen.