Tamoxifen post menopause

After a year of taking Letrosole and then Exemestane which I have had a few issue with but am managing to cope with the joint pain and the increase in blood pressure.  However, I have refused to take Alendronic Acid for a number of reasons not least the possible side effects.

After seeing my consultant this week I’m now in a dilemma as he is suggesting that I move onto Tamoxifen which apparently slows down bone loss in post menopausal women.  The possible side effects of this drug causes me some concern, of course I might not get them, but so far I seem to have latched onto the side effects of both the other drugs.

My question to you ladies is do any of you have a similar situation with regards to moving from either Letrosole.Exestane to tomoxifen, and if so how are you coping with it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Milly15

Hi Millie , sorry you didn’t get an answer to your post. Have you decided to try Tamoxifen ?

Hi @Milly15  I too would be interested in whether you decided to switch as, out of the blue yesterday afternoon, I was called by my onco and “persuaded” to move from Letrozole to Tamoxifen in order to be able to be prescribed topical oestrogen for VA (for which, I must stress, I am very grateful!).  The main SE for me on Letrozole have been brain fog, low mood, giddiness and the VA, I haven’t had any joint or muscle pain.  I really didn’t want to switch because Tamoxifen seems like “old technology “ compared to AIs and also has a raft of SE and it will seem like starting all over again.  She said it was entirely my choice but she would strongly recommend it, so what can you do when an expert frames it that way?  If you are switching, perhaps we can be Tam-buddies!