The power of Letrozole-some good news.

Hello ladies-it has been months since I’ve posted, probably because I know where I stand and am not having to make any decisions at the moment (I arrived on this forum last August after my Grade 2 diagnosis) not knowing anything about anything. But now that I am much more informed, I’ve weened myself away from the forum only to be able to have a break from “thinking” about my breast cancer on a daily basis and live my life, etc.

However, I wanted to share some good news with you. I have been on Letrozole since October, and whilst I was supposed to have a mastectomy last November (that was the plan)-I decided to defer surgery and give Letrozole a chance to shrink my cancer. I had read about another woman’s experience on Letrozole-she was on it for 15 months and her cancer shrunk by 50%. 

I’ve just had my 2nd MRI (post Letrozole) & my cancer continues to shrink (it is less enhanced on MRI)-my surgeon is very happy with how I am responding & is happy for me to continue on Letrozole to see how much further is shrinks. At the point I stop responding to it, she will then opt for a lumectomy (if that’s what I want) and if she gets clear margins, great, and if not, then it’s onto a mastectomy, but at least she sees there is a point in going for lumpectomy first (if I do want to keep my breast)-which I do.

I am sharing this with you because despite all of the side effects that many women experience-Letrozole does do it’s job (in shrinking estrogen positive cancer) & it’s a matter of considering both the pros and cons of the drug.

And re-the “brand” debate…I have been on more than one brand, and frankly, don’t notice a difference. 

It’s really important to exercise, to stretch, and to eat well-to help the drug to help *you*. My diet has become so healthy since January-I have cut out all sugar from my diet, except for the very rare glass of wine (I’ve had no more than 8 drinks since January). Sugar feeds breast cancer. I eat a lot of nuts, seeds (linseed, flax seed, pomegranate seeds) and I am sure all this is helping the drug along:). 

If Letrozole allows me the choice between a lumpectomy and mastectomy then I am more than happy to tolerate the side effects for as long as necessary. Maybe I’ve just been lucky but I don’t feel too bad on it. Then again, I forget what “normal” feels like anyways! 

xxxx 

4 Likes

That is strange. I had to have chemotherapy to shrink my tumor and post surgery will have to take Letrozole for 5 years.

Hello Maria, 

That is bleeding brilliant that the cancer has responded so well to pre-surgery Letro.  I hope it continues to shrink and you are able to have your desired treatment of lumpectomy.  Well done you as well for sticking with it as it can be time intensive.

You sound so positive and I totally agree with the healthy eating and drinking route.  However, I think it an oversimplification to say sugar feeds cancer. Food gets broken down into sugars anyway. Not saying you should agree as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I have attached a link which I think explains why I think it an oversimplification. 

Anyway, just wanted to wish you all the best. 

scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/24/dont-believe-the-hype-10-persistent-cancer-myths-debunked/#sweet-tooth

Regards,

Chick ? x

3 Likes

Thank you for your positive post about Letrozole. I got my prescription 2 days ago but have been reluctant to get to the chemist before reading up on the side effects. So I chose your post first. Of course I’ll take it. For me it’s a preventative now that I’ve had the all clear from the SNB. The prospect of a repeat of that nightmare means I’ll tolerate the side effects as you said. I agree with Chick1 about sugar. This is dubunked in Dr Liz O’Riordan’s co-authored book The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer. I don’t want to take too much that’s sweet out of life if I don’t have to. For me, however, sugar gives me headaches which is possibly the oestrogen depletion so it’s a different reason not to have too much. Hey ho. I’ll stop waffling. xx

Have just been reading about side effects too. Did you have any?