Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoladex implants.

5 REPLIES 5
Smash73

Re: Zoladex implants.

Hi MM/Sue

Thanks for the info about the dexa scan. Sounds like the blood tests can be unreliable, which probably means for me at my age I will have the treatment for longer. I asked about having my ovaries removed last year but they are declining this now, they did offer when I was first diagnosed. I am worried, about the effects on my bones long term. I am on the 3 monthly injections. This is more convenient. Oncologist denied there was any difference in efficacy, same dose x 3 slow release over 3 month. He said if you can tolerate the increased side effects this is more convenient. 

I’ll see what they say next time and if I get any answers will come back. 

Wishing you both all the best with ongoing treatment. 

Lucie

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi MM

Thank you for your reply. I think we chatted about this before?!

I've been having the implants for about 2 and half years, and because of the blood test results, I suppose I will now continue with it until my next appointment, which is not until the end of the year. But if the blood test results are not reliable, then how are we supposed to know?? I have got used to them and they're not so bad, it's just the hassle of going to the drs every 4 weeks. Everytime I go, the nurse says how long do you have to have these! I grit my teeth.... Also, she says, you know you can get 3 month ones. ... I know, but have been told by the oncologist, that monthly ones are more reliable. I grit my teeth again, as I explain for the hundredth time!

Like all the treatment I have, I just accept that that is what I have to do. But your right, it is challenging. The letrozole is definitely making me more tired and achy all over the time.....

The dexa scan is every 2 years, but the oncologist tends to forget ! Ask your gp. Mine has been very good at organising it.

Hugs xx

MysteryMouse

Hello ladies

I have been on zolodex for 2 years now and was told at the start it would be from between 2 - 3 years.

I am now 51.  I am untrusting of the blood tests as I had blood tests taken shortly after finishing chemo (age 47) and before starting tamoxifen (which I was on for 2 years).  As a result of those initial blood tests, I was told I was post menopausal and as such was switched to anastrazol after 2 years on tamoxifen as that was the standard pathway.  After a few weeks of only taking anastrazol my periods started and it was a very scary time indeed.  It was then decided that I was only in peri-menopause and the original blood tests were actually wrong!  I now have zolodex alongside the anastrazol but am concerned about when the time comes to stop the zolodex probably this summer when I will be 52 years in case I am not fully post menopausal.

I had a Dexa scan before starting anastrazole which showed oestopeania but no mention has been made about having another scan done.

Its all very challenging isn't it!

MM

x

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Lucie

Thank you for your reply. You are on similar timescales to me, but I am slightly older at 52. Its funny that we can be told different things. If it can't be determined by a blood test, then I wonder how they would know when we should stop?

Re. Dexa scan.... You hopefully had one at the start of your treatment, and then it needs repeating every 2 years. Mine is due this month. I would say that the oncologists don't always seem to remember, so I request it through my gp, and she has been very good at organising it. I am on letrozole, so it is important to check the Bone density.

Best wishes 

Sue x

Smash73

Hi Sue

Not sure if I have answers for you but am in the same situation. I have been on them 2.5 years when periods re-started after chemo, so def pre-menopausal. It seems the Zoladex just keeps us in temporary menopause. My Oncologist will not give me a blood test as says that this will show I am menopausal, but then, this is from the Zoladex? I want to be given time scales too. I am 45, diagnosed at 41. I am going to oncologist again in June and will ask the plan and if they will give me a blood test. Also, want to know how often I will have dexa scan. Were you given an timescales? I wonder if anyone else on here has been given this information. 

Thanks

lucie

Sue C
Community Champion

Zoladex implants.

Hi Ladies

Anyone here on zoladex implants ? I was wondering how long you have to keep having them? I've just had a blood test to say that I'm still pre menopausal, so need to keep having them. I've been doing so for 2 and a half years now, and will have to continue until at least the end of this year. Is there anyone here who has been through this process and how long was it until you could stop?

Thanks 

Sue x