cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoladex injections

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Zoladex injections

Hi Everyone

I was 54 and my hormone level was borderline for menopause after chemo and my periods had stopped but before I could start letrozole my periods came back so I started zoladex. I was told I should have it for 2 years by which time I should have gone through the menopause. I assume they will stop the injections and see what happens. If my periods return at the age of 56/57 would be a surprise but I think they would restart the zoladex.

All the best.

Hi

All I've just had my second one this week, I've not been told how long il be on it but gathering what my breast cancer is. Ie feeding of in can't spell the hormone and il be letrozole for thee years xx

Hi Sue

I am the same age as you and am wondering the exact same thing.  At the start I was told by oncologist I would be on it from between 2 to 3 years.  Have had it now for nearly 2 1/2 years now.

Prior to starting Zolodex my periods came back so I was swiftly started on it as the previous blood test I had taken had given an inaccurate result about my menopause status apparently. 

Agree with Smash73 that it is on each persons own circumstances as we are all different and I don't think anything is actually set in stone!

I will be very reluctant to stop having Zolodex just yet and so hope I can stay on for another year or so because I am on Anastrazole  and you need to be post menopausal to take that.

Hope you find some answers! Smiley Happy 

MM

xx

Community Champion

Thank you for your reply. 

I was told 3 years by my consultant who did the surgery, not the oncologist. And I felt that he was making a general comment, not necessarily for me, but I could be wrong.

I started the zoladex at the same time as you, but I'm abit older, now 52. Last time I saw the oncologist, at the end of last year, I had a blood test, to somehow determine whether I was menopausal. But I wasn't, so the injections continued. I assume this will be done at the end of the year again.

It would just be nice to know how long it would continue, and what happens when you stop. If I am not menopausal, then would my periods would start again? And surely that's the whole point of having it?

Sue xx 

Hi Sue

I’ve just had an oncology review and asked the same question. I also asked the nurses on this website.

I have been on these injections since September 2016. I was diagnosed March 2015 and finished chemo September 2015. Periods re-started in May 2016. I was diagnosed at 41. So the oncologist has said to me that I should stay on the Zoladex until next year, five years after diagnosis. I will then be approaching 47! He decided this from my individual situation and he thinks an extra year will mean, I will almost definitely be in menopause. This seems to be deciding factor. This is probably not helpful, but after doing a lot of my own research about this it does seem to be a decision based on a person by person basis. I think the plan after I finish is to stay on tamoxifen for another 5 years. 

It will be interesting to know what advice others have got. 

I also am worried about coming off as have got used to them! 

Community Champion

Zoladex injections

Hi Ladies

I've been told today by my consultant that zoladex injections are given for 3 years. For me, that's just a few months away. How is it determined how long to give these injections? And what happens when you stop? Has anyone been through this process who could help?

Thanks in advance 

Sue xx