62197members
327452posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oopherectomy.....how annoyed can I be???

Re: oopherectomy.....how annoyed can I be???

Hiya, I, too, am having a real battle with my oncologist re an oophorectomy. I was strongly ER+ (8/8) (diagnosed Dec 07, age 37, mastectomy and reconstruction, chemo and now on Tamoxifen) but I have just been told that the risks of having the ovaries removed outweigh the benefits - but apart from osteoporosis and early onset of the menopause, I have never got a clear answer as to what those risks are - and I'd much rather reduce my risk of this disease returning than worry about thinning bones, when I can do something about that through excercise, for example.

I'll be interested to hear how everybody gets on - but I shall definitely raise it again.

All the best

Naz

Hi ladies

I just like to add that i spoke to my onc (i am er+) about having my overies out and she said it would be a good idea, so she reffered me to the gyna. As i have a family history, the gyna is going to do the full hysterectomy. As i am 40 and suffering menopausal symptoms and no need for my womb etc any more then i am happy to go through with it, also it will give me peace of mind.
I wonder why they don't routinely do/offer an oopherectomy for er+ cancers.

Hi Custard, i had to fight to get my ovaries out as well, the onc was a bit funny about it, but when he found out that i was not going to shut up about it, well, he referred me to a very nice gyni, who suggested with my family history that i had the whole lot out! even asked what when i would like them out, i asked him if he could get me out of cooking xmas dinner, so i had a total hysterectomy and ooherectomy on the 18th of Dec 2007, like you i had no intention of being on tamoxifen for five years then going through the menopause again, i was 44 at the time, but all the women in our family have been late with the menopause. so go for it, maybe you could get your appointment brought forward so that you can talk to you onc sooner, it sounds like this is really getting to you.
lots of love
Alisonxxx

Hi Clarabelle

I couldnt have put it better myself. I have an appointment with my oncologist on the 11th May so will have it out with him then and if no joy the BC nurse/gnyne sounds like a marvelous plan, thanks so much for the idea. I'm off for a cup of cammomile tea now, try to calm down. I dont know I had a lovely afternoon today, retail therapy and bargins to boot (got some martini glasses I have had my eye on in Debenhams and they have 20% off everything) and then I get home, open the post and BOOM!!!!
Well kettle boiled. Thanks again
S x

Hi Custard,
How I hate how these people like to play God!
who's body is it - yours of theirs? I gather by surgeon you mean the Consultant who did the WLE/SNB? If so then you are dealing with the wrong person as it is usually a Gynaecologist who removes your ovaries so ask for an appointment with one via your BC nurse and ask them to remove them. If they refuse also (can't think why they would though)then ask to be referred to another one - which they have to do. Good luck!

oopherectomy.....how annoyed can I be???

Sorry just got to get this off my chest. I am 40 (39 at DX) had WLE/SNB er & pr+ HER2 negative no nodes, had rads, am on 5 years tamoxifen and 12 months into 2 years zoladex. At the beginning I asked what happens after the two years zoladex as I will be still pre menopause. Oncologist said best route would be oopherectomy. Fine I said, I dont want children and that would put an end to most of the oestrogen production, they said they would talk to me more about it when my radiotherapy ended. I have now spent the last 12 months asking whats going on with it to receive a letter from my surgeon advising that he has spoken to my oncologist who says its not the best thing for me now.
I am absolutely BLOOMIN BLAZING. I know the downside is possible bone thinning later in life but honest to goodness. I have pointed out that I dont want children, not a single relative including grandparents(all lived into their 80's) has broken a bone and I really dont think I can cope with another menopause again in however many years it may be.
I know I am moaning and there are much worse things out there than this but for the first time since I found the lump I feel like I'm just being patted on the head and sent on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just had to get that off my chest (no pun intended)
S x