Hi 

I was diagnosed with breast cancer after a routine mammogram.  Complete shock as id had no symptoms. I had the cancer and some lymph nodes removed a few weeks ago. The results have come back from the path lab last week- to say - there was cancer in one of the lymph nodes. I am devastated! They’ve said all along that although the cancer was invasive but very small… it wouldn’t have spread. I feel so ill now. Pains in my stomach and back. Feel physical sick. I don’t see the oncologist for another week yet. The waiting is the worse part.

Hi Lozza, 

I am new on this forum so cannot give you much advice , only that I am feeling the waiting is so hard to deal with, it makes you feel so stressed and tense . Do you mind me asking what type of bc you have? 

HI Lozza,

I am so terribly sorry that you have had an extra shock ontop of the diagnosis, it must have really knocked you badly to find out that things were a bit different after surgery than you expected before surgery. Some cancer cells found in one node is something that does happen to many women on here, it just means that your treatment plan will be adapted and take that into account.

Feeling as ill as you do, from the pure anxiety and stress of it all is so understandable, remember that you said you ‘had no symptoms’ before being diagnosed and now you are feeling rubbish - it doesn’t mean its cancer everywhere (though the mind goes into overdrive and starts joining non-joining dots ), it means you are shocked. struggling and your body is is being pumelled by the anxiety.I remember losing 2 stone in weight in weeks after diagnosis and not sleeping night after night, its devastatingly tough.

You are quite right, being told this news and then having a wait for the oncologist feels psychologically cruel, so may I make a suggestion ? You have a BC nurse assigned to you at the hospital already, I do think calling them and telling them how ill this limbo is making you feel is worth doing. It won’t speed up the process, but the BCN should be able to speak some encouraging and reassuring words to you and answer a few questions. OR there is the helpline on this site, where they can talk to you about the situation ?