Hi everyone 

Diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer early Jan. 2022

Mastectomy ( no choice ) in Dec. 2021 ( 4 days before Xmas ).

Chemo from Feb. to May

Radiation in July.

Struggling with so many side effects from chemo, radiation and hormone therapy (Zoladex every month and just last week switched from tamoxifen to Aromasin after 2 months).

Side effect- peripheral neuropathy, fatigue, chemo brain, anxiety about recurrence, joint pains, insomnia, (medically induced) menopause symptoms, radiation burns that are  now healing, …

Really worried about returning to work as I am a teacher and I have been away from school since Dec. If I don’t resume work in Sep. my salary will be cut in half. I honestly feel like I need a whole year to recover from the whirlwind that I have experienced in the last 8 months. Any advice or tips on how to return to society, to students (secondary school), a very demanding and stressful job…?

Welcome to the forum , sorry you are suffering so many challenges after treatment :frowning_face: Your employers have a duty to adjust your hours / workload to ensure you are able to manage when you return to work . Cancer counts as a disability  so you are protected under disability legislation . Have you have a meeting with OH scheduled , if not request one urgently and draw up a manageable return to work plan .You need to test the water very gradually and see how you feel.

You could claim PIP alongside your sick pay to you help make up the short fall if your pay is cut and you don’t feel able to return in September . Mamillian have advisors who help with money and employment matters on the phone if you look on their website .Best wishes Jill x

Hi Solimar

I feel your pain - so tomspeak

I have had four surgeries starting from February this year with the last surgery being a bilateral mammoplasty.  I went back to work for a month before the latest surgery.  I am almost 9 weeks post surgery and due to start radiotherapy next week.  As I am about to go onto half pay, I am having to return to work in the middle of my radiotherapy.  I’m worried about the side effects and am still in pain and very tired. I’m lucky though that I manage a great team and my manager is very supportive (will make lots of allowances!) so hopefully I can cope.

Your employer does have to make allowances for you as you are now classed as DDA.  So hopefully a chat with your management and Occupational Health asap will help.  Once people including your students are aware of your health situation they will be understanding and supportive. x

Dear SoliMar

Thinking of you, wishing you well.

However you must start to think about yourself, taking one day at a time you have been very poorly and need time to build up your body again, which will happen but takes time.

Maybe a chat with the head at school, returning a couple of hours or days, to start with they need to look after you, as you have so much to offer to your students do take care, you will get there, be kind to yourself lots of TLC and some lovely treats.

Keep posting biggest hugs Tili :rainbow: :rainbow:

Hello @SoliMar  , I am in a very similar situation. I was diagnosed in mid Nov and had a mastectomy on NYE. I finished chemo 7 weeks ago. I am already on half pay, which is not ideal, but I don’t think physically or mentally I have been ready. In Nov I will go down to no pay at all!

I have worked at my secondary school for years. Like you, I am feeling nervous and anxious. Some weeks I still seem to have lots of appointments so not sure how it will all fit in. I can’t decide if being back at work, in a very stressful job (I am HOD, AHT and have a role across the Trust) will keep my mind off everything that has happened or if I will not cope. I suppose that is why we will have a phased return. Speaking to my Head, they have over staffed my Dept and I know they have not planned me in on the timetable for Sept. 

Although I have not spoke to school yet about returning, in my mind I am thinking of doing a phased return starting mid Oct. It means I will have been off 11 months. I am still having Herceptin every three weeks and regular heart scans. I don’t even know if I should wear my wig or not.  I am sure the pupils will be lovely, 99% are gorgeous, but am worried if one says something horrible I will just break down. 

I don’t know about you, but my breast nurse referred me to the clinical psychologist. The sessions are really helping and are very practical. I also see a counsellor. It has helped to take through my fears about ‘returning to society’. I have also signed up to the ‘Moving On’ course with Breast Cancer Now. I am hoping that will cover returning to work too. 

All the professionals I have spoken to have said to not underestimate what we have been through, physically and mentally. I expected to bounce back as soon as the main treatment finished but I am now trying to accept that it is going to take a long time and the recovery will not be linear.  Be kind to yourself and take as long as you need, if financially possible.

If you want to keep in touch we can compare notes about returning. 

Sending you lots of love and strength. 
Nicky x