Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newly diagnosed.

3 REPLIES 3
jules_n

Re: Newly diagnosed.

Hi there @shesace 

Welcome to our forum, you’ve had good advice there from @Jaybro . My advice at this stage would also be to not look too far ahead. After your surgery, they carry out all the detailed sampling of your breast tissue, far more than they can with the biopsy. Your diagnosis can even change when you get your results, usually 2-4 weeks later, and you might have a completely different treatment plan. That happened to me after my mastectomy last November.

There’s lots of information available on BCN and Macmillan about mastectomy, and feel free to ask us questions or discuss your fears and worries. You might have plenty of those as you get closer to your op! You’ll also get lots of info at your pre-op appointment. Try to keep yourself busy to pass the time, with whatever you enjoy! Wishing you all the best, let us know how you get on , Jules XX

shesace

Thanks so much for your encouragement and advice. Now that I've got over the initial shock of what's happening I'm using Google a lot but in a good way. As you say looking for the things I need to move forwards after my initial mastectomy. I've decided against having a implant (its a age thing) I told hubby that knowing my luck I would end up with one looking through the window and the other still pointing at my toes so am going to stick with a prosthetic. 

Jaybro

Hi

Love the pseudonym! Welcome to the forums. Im sorry you have to be here but you’ve found the right place.  In the early stages, I’d advise you not to read widely, and definitely stay off Google full stop. Just focus on the job in hand - the practicalities of a mastectomy, what you’ll need afterwards, how to manage things… It’s a big shock to the system but it’s all manageable. There are many women here who’ve been through the same thing and hopefully are still here to give their experiences of a mastectomy, reconstruction (though you didn’t mention it so maybe you’re not opting for that), body image, dealing with a prosthesis, where to source bras etc etc etc. I wish you all the best with your results and the surgery xx

shesace

Newly diagnosed.

Hi everyone not long been diagnosed with invasive lobula breast cancer stage 2 and have to go straight for a mastectomy. Her2 negative but still waiting on 2 more results. Thankfully underarm nodes are unaffected. Have preop coming up 20th May so hopefully will have the operation soon after