Reconstruction advice following mastectomy please…

Hello

I’m wondering if anybody could share their experiences of breast reconstruction please. My cancer journey started in 2020 when I was diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer in my right breast. I had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy, all went well and I have been on hormone treatment ever since with annual check ups. On my last check up in Oct I was diagnosed with DCIS on the left breast. 3 operations later they have been unable to remove all of it so I now have to have a mastectomy. I definitely want reconstruction and the options available to me are an implant or the DIEP flap. The first thing I asked when my consultant told me I needed a mastectomy was whether I could have both breasts done as I had now had it in both sides. However he said although I could I wouldn’t be able to have them reconstructed the same - he was unwilling to put an implant in my right side as I had previously had radiotherapy there and it can cause complications, but there was not enough spare fat on my stomach to do both sides, only 1. Symmetry is very important to me so I was wondering if anyone could lend me the benefit of their experience please? I go back tomorrow (yes I should’ve had put this post on earlier !!) supposedly with my decision but every time I think I’ve made my mind up I read something that puts me off. At the moment I’m leaning towards the implant as the recovery is quicker and I feel like if it isn’t right it may be easier to ‘fix’ but then I have read about many of the problems people have had with these. Also has anyone heard of problems or complications with implants after radiotherapy? I know they don’t like to do it before radiotherapy but mine was 2 years ago! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks xx

Hi Sars

In sorry to hear your most recent journey hasn’t gone according to plan. I can’t offer any advice with regards to the reconstruction but wanted to reply as I am in the same position and my head is in a whirlwind too!

I have had 2 lumpectomies for DCIS and the results of the second they discovered a further 4mm that did not show up on any of the pre op scans. The MDT recommended either a 3rd lumpectomy or mastectomy. From a phone call with my consultant his recommendation is a mastectomy with implant reconstruction and a reduction on my good side for symmetry. I am seeing him on Friday to discuss further and make a decision.

At present I don’t have any further reconstruction options on the table but if I did I think I would still choose the implants for a similar reason to yourself. It is a quicker recovery and rectifiable if required (I think)!!

At the moment I feel like I am done with the surgery wheel and want my life back and to be cancer free. The implant for me seems the better option for now. However one of my questions for the consultant is whether I could have the DIEP surgery further down the line……

I hope some wise ladies on here will share their experiences with you and I will be following with interest. 

I hope tomorrow goes ok and would be good to hear what you decide, if you feel happy to share

Cookie x