To work or not to work??

Hi everyone….I know I need to make my own decision based on my own personal circumstances…. But it would be really helpful for me to hear views from others about this topic…

I’ve just turned 60 and I was self employed working part-time when I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer and sternum Mets…

I was working in a private practice as a Counsellor…

I could manage financially without returning to work  and focus on my well being healing and starting other pursuits. However sometimes I have thoughts of returning to work as a distraction or a bit of normal an important part of my identity etc

Do others have thoughts on whether to return to work with secondary cancer or whether to view life slightly  differently without making cancer one’s identity?

all views very welcome

Hello Saraha59, I am a similar age to you - 60 in October last year, diagnosed in April, now through ops and radiotherapy and on Letrozole.

My opinion is that it depends how you regard the working part of your life? For some, it is bound up in their identity, and in addition, some love their jobs. I have a friend, same age, who loves to work and enjoys the social interaction and the banter.

I always worked to live and my life was outside of work. I have a lot of hobbies and interests. I don’t need much social interaction and in fact, enjoy time on my own and with my cat. I haven’t worked at all for 6 years and gave up my full time job nearly 20 years ago. I remember walking away from that office job with a light heart and gratitude that I had finally escaped - no more meetings, no more staff management, no more dressing up in work clothes, no more sitting at a desk wishing I was somewhere else. I never missed it for one minute and struggle to recall how it felt to be there, yet it was my daily life for 23 years. Now, finally, I enjoy receiving my work pension, albeit small. 

That is me and how I feel. I hope others now add to this thread. Good luck with whatever you decide, all the best Kate x

I was diagnosed in June and went straight back to work next day after diagnosis. Had my lumpectomy and lymph gland clearance 3 weeks later, took 5 weeks off post op and then went back to work. Radiotherapy starts on 12th Sept for 5 days but on annual leave that week from work so will assess if feeling ok to return to work after it, I know radiotherapy affects everyone different. Friends and colleagues thought I would have been off from diagnosis until after treatment but I don’t feel as if I have cancer as I feel well mentally and physically just a bit tired, is this strange

Could it be the case that your experience of cancer brings a new special quality to your practice as counsellor because of all you’ve been through? But what are the risks and benefits for you of resuming work? Are you working in a supportive environment where you can trust your colleagues and supervisors? This week I’ve just started a phased return to work after 2 and a half months of recovery from surgeries and am feeling my team’s support in a new way as I’ve never took sick leave before! (…I’m also 61 years old)