chemotherapy in elderly for Her 2 positive localised disease

Hi everyone, my lovely Mum who is 80 has had a mastectomy for a Her2 positive ER/PR negative , grade 3 breast cancer  with Pagets of the nipple 30mm T2NO ( node negative) stage 11A  . SHe is in shock and has been offered weekly paclitaxel for 12 weeks and Herceptin for 6 months. She is so worried about the side effects and finding it difficult to decide whether to leave things be or take the treatment. She is particularly worried about cognitive decline and peripheral neuropathy and a reduction in quality of life. I have tried to reassure her stating to try and take things weekly and if the chemotherapy doesnt suit her then there will be dose reduction and it can be stopped and the Herceptin continued. She is a fit 80 year old but is diabetic and its a very difficult decision do we take the risk of potentially dropping her quality of life permanently against reducing spread of disease and reducing the chance of malignant spread coming back too soon. It is her decision but she is really struggling and we have been going through the potential outlooks but dont seem to be getting nearer to a decision. I would love to hear from other patients or family on their experiences of chemotherapy in their late 70s or early 80s for localised disease and their experiences or thoughts of what to do for the best. Our oncologist offered it but ultimately at this stage it is personal preference and  it appears to be a 50 :50 choice.  Has anyone stopped the paclitaxel early and stayed on the Herceptin and how did you find it.  I just want to help my mum make the best decision possible for her. Many thanks 

Hi Lisalilly,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your story.

I hope our members will share their experience and advice. In the meantime, please remember that for any clinical questions, our breast care nurses are here and happy to talk things through.

Sending you our best wishes,

Zoe