cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 years on

10 REPLIES 10
RoadRunner

Re: 15 years on

Hello @Moggy and Fish Mum  I found my lump by sheer chance. I thank my lucky stars every day about that. It had almost made it to my chest wall, so I just got lucky there. Any later and I might not be here now. 

RoadRunner

Hello @Swissmiss , glad to hear you’re doing well too. There are a lot of us out here!  

Moggy and Fish Mum

What a great thread this is. Since my original comment I have had my lumpectomy and now await a second op next week as margins weren’t big enough. This time with some reconstruction thrown in. HER2 negative though, hurrah for that little hurdle. It is indeed the new normal, hospital visits, treatment, results but it is what it is and time passes. My cancer turned out to be a bit more aggressive and slightly larger than expected and was taking over my poor boob. Yet I felt nothing, knew nothing, apart from a nipple that sometimes inverted. That’s a lesson in life if there ever was one eh? Onwards and upwards. Love to all xxx

Swissmiss

Hello @RoadRunner  Hope you are keeping well.  16 years today since my dx.  Much Love to you and all on the Forum 😘

Moggy and Fish Mum

What a brilliant and inspiring post Roadrunner! You’ve been through the mill right enough - enjoy enjoy enjoy xxx even with the pesky hot flushes!

RestWalkRun

Thank you for this post. Your diagnosis sounds pretty much exactly the same as mine (Dec 2021), so it’s lovely to hear a positive story. X

Bondgirl

Hi everyone, Roadrunner was my inspiration in the past and this site was also my safe haven and go to place when I needed to ask the ladies for help.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago and on 12th March was the day of my lumpectomy, 19th April start of 8 rounds of chemo, 12th September full node clearance, 26th October start of 30 days of radiotherapy - funny how dates just stick in your memory.

I wanted to add to Roadrunners post that we are out there - the ladies who have beat our challenges. I have seen my two girls get married and I have two grandchildren.

There are still challenges with our new normal but we are here and not letting it win.

❤️ 

DDB

Hi! Hearing you story makes me hopeful. I just got my diagnosis last 2 days and I am terrified. It still hasn’t sunk in yet that I have breast cancer. Even saying the words still make me tearful but I have been reading stories in this forum and its making me hopeful. It’s great to know that there are a lot of people who survived breast cancer.

Charys
Community Champion

Hey ! Its so helpful to have people come back on here with updates a LOoonnnnngggg way down the line, for everybody (myself included). 🙂

Jill1998
Community Champion

Nice to hear from you again Roadrunner .Glad you are still doing well.

RoadRunner

15 years on

Well, I never come on here any more.  I lived on here years ago, it was my safe space to be.

Fifteen years ago today I had a mastectomy, so today I have been free of cancer for 15 years.  Never thought I'd get to say that.  

I had grade 3, ER+, PR+, HER2+ cancer that had spread to three lymph nodes.  After the mastectomy I had 8 cycles of chemo (FEC then Taxotere), 4 weeks of rads, a year of herceptin and 10 years of tamoxifen.  I had an LD flap reconstruction in 2010.

When I was diagnosed my three children were all at high school.  I thought I'd never see them to adulthood.  Well, I've seen all three graduate, two get married, and one have a baby, so I am a grandma.  

My only gripe is the damned hot flushes!  Will they ever go away?  Fifteen years and counting! To be fair, they're not as bad as they were and mostly I can ignore them.  Sometimes a big one still gets me though.

To all of you out there at the start of your cancer journey (how I hate that word!) there is life after cancer, and hopefully lots of it. Hang on in there.