Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an implant be removed?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Can an implant be removed?

Hi all

I got what I was expecting from my appointment on Tuesday which wasn't much, basically take painkillers & rub some cream on it! I knew deep down that there would be no remedy for the short comings in the reconstruction.

I have to accept what I've got & make the best of it. I feel that I can do that if I can find a way of evening up the size of the recon to my natural boob, work on my exercises & get some massage on my back.

Thanks to you all for being there 

Kittybrew 

Highlighted

Hi

Just wondering how things are with you, have you made any progress? 

Kittybrew x

Highlighted

Good luck for Tuesday Kittybrew,  please keep us posted with the outcome.

keep safe Tili 

Highlighted

Hi

The main problems are tightness in my back & around my underarm to the chest, pain in the same area when I try to use my arms to take my weight. I was receiving massage on my back but that stopped with lockdown in March.  I am doing some stretching exercises that have a yoga theme at home but the tightness is very off putting - I feels like my skin is going to tear.

I'm seeing my surgeon on Tuesday, maybe he'll have some idea what's going on.

Thanks for your reply x

Highlighted

Hi Kitty,

In what way are you uncomfortable? Is it the implant or the area on your back?

I go for regular deep tissue massages and do yoga with an emphasis on back and shoulders. Apart from some weakness in my upper body strength, and some tightness, I have not had too much trouble with my back.

It took several sessions for the therapist to break down the knots around my scar tissue, but now I go once every 2 months and it helps enormously.

Take care x

Highlighted

Hi Kittybrew,

I have had LD reconstruction almost 5 years ago, have always regretted my decision with constant back pain. Hopefully you will be happy now maybe this is the road I should be thinking about. Just a little information one of the nurses from Guys hospital was telling me that they don’t do this operation any more as it had not been a great success. 

Take care, keep well 👍💋

Highlighted

Hi

I had an implant at the same time as mastectomy. The implant went hard after radiotherapy and was going to be replaced. An infection meant it had to be removed & I could not have a replacement.  I then had an ldflap reconstruction which I very much regret.  I'm sure you will feel more comfortable without the implant (as I did) but you will then be uneven I suppose.  give what I know now I wouldn't have the ldflap recon. It you are happy with that, how your back feels, no tightness etc be thankful & get rid of the imolany

Highlighted

Thanks Mo but 2 consultants have told me that if the implant is replaced it will do the same thing again. 

Highlighted

Hi, sorry you have this problem. I wonder if it's possible for you to have your implant replaced? I had an implant recon and my first implant always felt too big and was uncomfortable and my surgeon replaced it for me. It was a quick easy op and so much better. Of course I do not know if your situation is different with the flap etc. Im sure the nurses on here would be able to advise, so you could give them a call perhaps? I hope you can get something done to feel more comfortable. Love Mo x

Highlighted

Can an implant be removed?

Hi,

I had a mastectomy and reconstruction from LD flap with the addition of a small implant in May 2017. They weren't sure if I'd need radiotherapy until after the surgery, but warned me that if I did, then it would probably mess with my implant.

Unfortunately, radiotherapy was required and it did indeed mess with the implant. The breast is as hard as a rock and continues to be very uncomfortable, and I'm certain it is getting worse.

I regret my reconstruction decision and wonder if anyone else on this forum has had a pesky problem implant removed? If removal is possible then what are the options for retaining any breast tissue? Would it result in a hideous mess [although I'm not sure i care what it looks like, if it means I can be comfortable].

Thanks