Letrozole and palpitations

Hi all, I’ve been on Letrozole for over 3 years (I’ve had small, non-aggressive bc’s, no node involvement, 3 times since 1999 & had 3 lumpectomies and 2 mastectomies but very thankfully have not needed chemo) but a year ago I started getting skipped heartbeats. I get them many times a day, every single day, whether I’m busy, or just relaxing - it makes no difference, and sometimes when going to sleep. Luckily after 2 ECG’s (one of which caught a skipped beat), thorough stethoscoping and blood tests, I’ve been told my heart is completely fine. But these ectopics are truly annoying to say the least! Has anyone else had ectopics with Letrozole, and what treatment have you found works?

Hi Nik, welcome to the forum .Have the medics said the missed beat is due to the letrozole ? I get palpitations which are really unpleasant so I can sympathise .I have found accupuncture helps when they are bad - may be worth a try ?

I have been taking exemestane (Aromasin) for over 8 years (diagnosed with bc in 2007) - I stop taking the drug next year.  About 2 years ago I started having ectopic heart beats (heart skipping beats).  Nothing suggested that there was a problem with my heart, but my oncologist didn’t think it was likely to be the drug either.  Although not completely certain, I do think there is a link between the ectopic beats and eating sugary things.  So long as I am careful about eating sweet things then I am fine.  I have no idea whether there is a link with the exemestane or not - or whether that is affecting my insulin levels but perhaps you might find a correlation with eating sweet things too.  

I know this thread is a couple of months old however, my response may be of interest. I have been taking Letrozole for 4 years and was told  by my Oncologist when I first was prescribed that heart palpitations are a side effect. Not a common one.

I hope this helps you. Good Luck

Hi JJ1, have only just seen your comment re Letrozole and palpitations. After my post, my palps gradually lessened but came back a few days ago. However, part of me thinks I’m my own worst enemy as I worry about them, becoming incredibly anxious, and this of course makes them worse. Being with other people and occupied really helps…and if necessary, 2.5mg of Valium (which suggests to me it’s more anxiety-related). My last ultrasound was all clear. So far, so good, another 2 and a half years to go!

I am on Letrozole. Just been taking it 3 months now. I have the skipping/ ectopic heart beats on certain days. I had these when I was going through the menopause and had lots of tests and were told they would just gradually stop which they did. 
I assume as the Letrozole works on stopping all oestrogen it gives you menopausal symptoms again hot flushes etc.
I have no other symptoms not out of breath, dizziness or chest pains so am thinking once my body gets use to the new medication things will settle down again. 
I sleep well at night and as someone said if I am busy or working or with other people and chatting I don’t seem to be troubled by them or notice them. 
It is very unnerving and thought if it doesn’t improve in the next week I would see a doctor just to reassure all is well with my heart. Hope my symptoms have helped others if they are going through the same thing. I do use a stress ease lotion at night and I certainly  fall asleep quite easily so will keep using the lotion.