1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marina coil linked to Breast Cancer?

88 REPLIES 88
helena3000

Re: Marina coil linked to Breast Cancer?

I had mirena coil fitted then couple months later I found a lump on my breast each then I had biopsy and found out I had triple negative breast cancer  I like 👍 to know if  going to be a lawsuit on this and to be informed! 

WhatBC

I would love to be included in a lawsuit if possible

Kat2000

Hi Wee Burd, maybe it depends on at what age you had mirena. Mirena is not recommended for women over 50, so I still don’t understand why my GP didn’t take it out especially when I was diagnosed at 52:)

It seems the combination of hormon therapy with mirena doesn’t sound very safe either. So what I think is I should research better myself not relying on doctors:)

questydorota

Do you treat your thyroid at the same time? Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone? If yes, was any close time relation between BC diagnosis and beginning of the thyroid treatment? In my case BC was diagnosed within 4 months after taking Letrox. I had Mirena 11 years.
Wee Burd

When I was diagnosed with ER+ breast cancer my surgeon told me that I had to get my coil removed immediately.  My GP was furious - there's no oestrogen in the Mirena and as far as she was concerned too many surgeons don't know this and give poor and frightening advice to women.  I did have my coil removed, but it was due to be removed anyway due to my age.  I'd had it for 7 years with no issues, and there was no indication that my breast cancer was in any way related to the use of the coil.

Kat2000

Sorry I wasn’t sure that the question is for me:) My surgery went very smoothly and since that time I did the lymph massage of my arm and phisio. The breast is still sensitive though due to radio therapy last Oct/Nov.
Kat2000

Hi 2luvmylocs, I’m very sorry to hear your news. How old are you? I was about 47 when the mirena was installed. Despite the instructions on mirena’s website itself that mirena is not recommended for women over 50 my GP didn’t remove it when I approached 50. Even more - she recommended to use oestrugen patches “to feel better and to reduce risk of osteoporosis”. GPs don’t admit that mirena could cause BC - it’s like they have a code of silence. I’m year after the ops and radiotherapy, taking arimidex. I was lucky enough not to have chemo (see my previous posts that explain). All the best with your treatment. Stay positive!! xx

2luvmylocs

Newly diagnosed with ER positive Stage II breast cancer. Had the Mirena placed on April 2016. Mammogram July 9, 2018 showed changes in breast tissue. Diagnosed on July 25th. The first instructions that I was given by my oncologist was to have the IUD removed. I specifically asked if the iud had caused it and was told "no we're not saying that, but we need to get it out immediately." I truly believe mine was caused by the MIrena.

Romelisa

I am sad because I have used Mirena for two years I didn't know that it is dangerous . The last December I removed it because was so uncomfortable.... was nightmare, the first 3 months my breasts had increased of size ... when I went to the GP and hospital to remove it they refused to do it finally in since April last year in my left breast I started to feel a deeply painful I when to GP again many times ...finally they discovered some cysts in my left breast ... but they told me that these are no cancer but they didn't remove them s ones to analyze ...so I can't to trust to the doctor because it is clear, another thing is that nowadays I have a painful in all muy left side. I will try to insist 😪😥
Ruby9868

My story is so similar to yours, how did your surgery go?
Rosiewales

Mai7
Community Champion
Kat2000

Another thought... I know a great examples of doctors here. It just happened that I wasn’t their patient at the time.

Here is another story (it’s probably already in the other thread on this forum). When they dicovered that my sentinel node was affected my surgeon said that we have to do axillary clearance. I was shocked and followed the procedure. Instead of that she could have told me that there are some other options like genetic test (eg. Prosigna*) of the tumour to show if I am low risk of reocurence or another option - to do radiotherapy and hope that it would kill cancer cells and lymph nodes. More than one research shows that there isn’t any difference in outcome for women with BC with sentinal node involved who had the axillary clearance and those who hadn’t. There wasn’t much reason for doing the second op and damage the lymph system.

So we are here to help and hopefully my experience would show other women other options to follow.

* There are 4 tests available in Australia: two are sent off to USA and cost $5K and two in Australia and cost $2.9K. Prosigna is done in Australia and the oncologist agreed with our research that it was the best one for me. So I had it done and it showed I am at low risk I didn’t have chemo.

Kat2000

Ok Mirena is not HRT, but it functions on putting hormones into the body to treat the conditions women are suffering. It is similar isn’t it?:)

Kat2000

Hi RoadRunner,

yes I fully agree that doctors are doing their best and they are very knowlegable. I just thought why my doctor didn’t tell me the obvious that mirena wasn’t recommended for women over 50... Makes you wonder:)

RoadRunner

They are all trying to do their best.........
Damn phone!

RoadRunner

Katerina
There is a clearly acknowledged link between HRT and breast cancer. That is why HRT is no longer recommend in the UK for routine use. The Mirena coil is not HRT. We don’t yet know if there is a link between the Mirena coil and breast cancer. It seems very possible but I don’t think it’s been shown by any studies yet.
I think the vast majority of doctors in the UK are very conscientious, caring individuals and are not handing out remedies without thought. That are all trying to do their best with the knowledge that is available to them.

Mai7
Community Champion

I wonder if my hormones were misaligned in the run up to my diagnosis. I'd been getting quite stressed and anxious and was regularly feeling discomfort in the thyroid area.  I had the mirena right up to diagnosis (a coil impregnated with synthetic progestogen). The Oncologist told me to have it removed as I was ER/PR+.  I think with BC you want to know what caused it but you'll never know as an individual. However, trends studied over time will reveal the cause within the population just like smoking and lung cancer. 

questydorota

Do you treat your thyroid at the same time? Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone? If yes, was any close time relation between BC diagnosis and beginning of the thyroid treatment? In my case BC was diagnosed within 4 months after taking Letrox. I had Mirena 11 years. Best wishes!
questydorota

Do you treat your thyroid at the same time? Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone? If yes, was any close time relation between BC diagnosis and beginning of the thyroid treatment? Best wishes!
questydorota

My cancer was diagnosed in 5 months after i started the thyroid treatment. I had Mirena for 11 years. Do you take a synthetic thyroid hormones? Can be any association?
questydorota

Hi,

I hope you are better now. I keep my finger crossed for you.

Let me ask - do you have a thyroid problems at the same time?

I see a significant cooincidence between the time of BC diagnosis and thyroid treatment.

In many cases women with Mirena have BC diagnosis within a few months after they start to take synthetic thyroid hormone. It could be a trigger.

Best regards and be a fighter! 

Kat2000

Hi Mai7, Thank you for the info. Certainly I became more knowlegable about HRT and affect of syntgetic hormones on woman’s body. Re the diet particularly dairy or alcohol - I don’t think it should be more concern then other factors like preservatives, antibiotics and chemicals in daily supermarket foods! What about smoking or passive smoking? How many women can eat organic food on daily basis? How many women can grow veggies and fruit themselves to make sure it doesn’t contain anything accept that from nature? I recon not many. Milk products are a good source of calcium that we need especially after 50. One glass of wine a day is not considered real danger according to the medical professionals at least here in Australia. We are affected by many factors every day but this forum shows that something is going on between HRT and instances of breast cancer and all of it is too much for a coincident. My doctor friend said that there are not enough studies about those instances but HRT might provoke something that already developing in the body. I think this is a typical statement for doctors - one can speculate that all of us would develop the disease anyway! The worst thing in all of this is that doctors promote so easily underresearched medications and treatments without much responsibilities for the lives of women who still trust them. So we are in the mincer and we better get out asap:)

Best wishes,

Katerina

Mai7
Community Champion

Katerina, Here's another good link: 

https://www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=383&title=Sherrill-Sellman-interview

I've read a lot around diet and breast cancer being suggested. In particular many authors suggest a link between eating dairy, refined foods and drinking alcohol as the main reason for western women having a higher risk of breast cancer than women in, say Asia, however, I have not come across any study which compares western women against Women living in Asia for a link between contraception and breast cancer. What contraception is being used by women in countries with the lowest occurrences of breast cancer?  My guess is that they are not using synthetic hormones. I think eating dairy and drinking alcohol could certainly increase the toxic hormone load but synthetic hormones don't appear to be getting the attention they deserve in these studies.

Kat2000

Hi Mai7, Thank you for sharing such useful link! If in 2012 I started my research on dangers of hormonal therapy that was my mirena... I can’t turn the time back. I feel that I failed my own body to look after. I repeat to myself - don’t listen doctors, go and research. I think more truth should be said about mirena to warn women in future.

My mirena should be taken out in one year time when I approached 50 mark. Now I’m at the stage of antihormone therapy after two operations and radiotherapy. Still - try to be positive:) All the best for your treatments:)

Katerina

Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Ladies, I had the Mirena coil for around 15 years. I have no family history of breast cancer. I'm 48, diagnosed in March and still in active treatment. As soon as I was diagnosed, my Oncologist told me to have it removed. I've had chemo, mx, lymph node removal and awaiting radiotherapy. I'm ER/PR+ HER2- grade 2. 9/12 lymph nodes positive. I just found this article which is quite interesting and suggests medical opinions in the USA are slowly shifting towards the Mirena coil increasing the risk of breast cancer.
https://www.healthline.com/health/breast-cancer-and-mirena#overview1

Kat2000

I’m pretty sure Mirena linked to BC diagnosis. It happens again and again. I recon it wasn’t enough research done on it. 

I’m after the surgeries now and after radiotherapy. 20 sessions, 4 weeks. They used a new machine and new technology when I had to hold my breath during the exposion. The skin survived ok as well due to the transparent film all over my breast. They said to keep the film for another two weeks after radiotherapy finished.

Last Tursday I had appointment with my oncologist and he prescibed me Arimidex. I hate any chemicals in me and after reading about side effects from these tablets I am not looking forward taking them...

Best luck with your surgery! Try be positive and strong.

Katerina

CW

I'm the same, had a Mirena fitted in 2011 for heavy periods, had in replaced in March 2017 then diagnosed with stage 3 hormone positive breast cancer this month.  Had a mammogram in July 2016 and all was clear then.  I'm sure the new burst of hormones in the Mirena has lead to my BC diagnosis.  Surgery next week, very scared 

RoadRunner

Interesting thought.  I had been using a mirena coil for a few years when diagnosed (and had it removed straight away).  That was Feb 2007.  In Feb 2006 my thyroid had gone haywire, I was put on carbimazole, then onto thyroxine in August 2006, six months before BC diagnosis.  I have previously wondered if either the mirena coil or the thyroid problems were related to my BC, I had never considered the action of the two of them together.

questydorota

Hi.
When I talk with breast cancer survivors, it turns out that they cure the thyroid at the same time. So maybe the combination of thyroid hormone (eg Letrox) with Mirena so drastic increases the risk of breast cancer?

Do you treat your thyroid at the same time? Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone?

Please send me even short message (Yes/not) if you cure the thyroid at the same time.

I wish you much health!
Dorothy
questydorota

Hi.
I am just after mastektomy and before decision what to do with Mirane. I am 42.

I have read many scientific articles showing that all false/synthetic hormons can laverage risk of breast cancer.

And I could notice repeating pattern in BC cases.

When I talk with breast cancer survivors, it turns out that they cure the thyroid at the same time. So maybe the combination of thyroid hormone (eg Letrox) with Mirena so drastic increases the risk of breast cancer?

Do you treat your thyroid at the same time? Are you taking synthetic thyroid hormone?

I have had Mirene coil for 11 years. Unfortunately I was diagnosed with breast cancer after 4 months of taking Letrox (synthetic thyroid hormone). In theory i am out of BC risk group. 

Please send me even short message (Yes/not)  if you cure the thyroid at the same time. 

You can also read following post: https://healthimpactnews.com/2014/taking-thyroid-hormone-increases-breast-cancer-risk-by-200/

I wish you much health!
Dorothy

Kat2000

Great post! All the best!!
Kat2000

I had mirena since Dec 2012. It was installed as I had a heavy bleeding non stop. Mirena certainly stopped that and I didn't have periods during having mirena. 2 years ago my GP prescribed me eostregen patches, the minimum doze explaining that I have very low eostregen and it will help me to keep my bones healthy. This year after having 4.5 years of mirena and 2 years of eostregen patches I was diagnosed with breast cancer no particular type, stage 1, eostregen responsive, pregesteron negative. I found this forum and after reading about others experiences with mirena I feel that there is a connection between mirena and breast cancer.

In April the tumour was found during routine mammogram comparing with images from two years ago.

In May I had to go through the surgery removing the lump, that was 8x6mm, and the sentinel node that was connected to the breast. The biopsy showed that the lymph node had the lump (2.7mm) as well that led to the second surgery of axillary clearance. I'm hoping to survive all of this...

Eeyorelover

I have had a marina going on 11 years. I'm 36 and just got my 3rd one put in this past April. About 7 days ago I found a lump on my left breast in the 7 o'clock area. I was heading into the shower standing in front of the mirror putting my hair up and saw it. As soon as the Dr office opened the next morning I called and made appointment. About 2 hours later I was in the office talking to the PA. It seemed as though she couldn't feel it when I was lying down during her exam however once I sat up and put my arms up she could see it. I have my mammogram and US tomorrow morning I'm petrified. I have never had any problem with the marina but now I'm worried especially because of the length of time I have used it. I use it for birth control and as a mood stabilizer because of the hormones. The only side effect is I haven't had a period the entire time I have been using it. The 1st 2 were put in by the same dr but I moved so a different dr inserted it and was told this would be my 3rd implant and she said that it was fine. Since 3 was inserted I've felt off like my body is running differently. When I found the lump one of the 1st things I thought of was the marina. The lump is about the size of a quarter it seems solid but it moves side to side a little. After reading the posts most of you have only it in for less then 5 years. I'm not sure if the marina has anything to do with it but like I said I've felt off since the last one was inserted. Maybe it's a coincidence but after all I have read I'm concerned.
Mama-bear

I am currently in the waiting game for results after a biopsy last week so have been googling anything I can find to help determine whether it might sway more to fibroadenoma or the full on C word and had an epiphany. My marina coil is due to be replaced later this year and a couple of months ago I started to get periods again. In my mind I was thinking maybe hormone changes causing the mass but on doing more research it appears there are more sinister connections even if not scientifically confirmed. It amazes me that there isn't more information on possible links.
Melia

I got the mirena coil out to try for a baby after having had it in for 4 years for contraceptive reasons. 2 years later and I have breast cancer. Don't know if I'm just looking for something to blame, my mother did warn me not to get it in as it's false hormones roaming Around your body... maybe I'll listen more to her next time!
lsharvey822

I too am convinced by BC was related to using Mirena.  In my case I had one Mirena for 5 years with no issues but then had it replaced with a 2nd Mirena as instructed.  After the 2nd was implanted I had EXTREME breast tenderness monthly and found a lump and was diagnosed with stage 2 within 6 months.

Butterfly318

I do believe that there is a link.  I had a Mammogram October 2011 aged 49, reported as all clear.  Had a Mirena Coil fitted November 2011, polysystic ovaries and a history of very heavy bleeding, this was going worse and losing great clots, so much so i couldn't go out for a few days...  I have to say tho' i wasn't pursuaded by medical experts..... I was given all the pros and cons however Breast Cancer is not a noted concerns.  By September 2012 i found a lump.  This turned out to be 6.5cm grade 2 stage 3 ER8 PR8.  Went to a one stop clinic Thursday 9am  went back 4pm for the reslts of the biopsies althought the Mammogram and scans were pretty conclusive.  The Consultant recommended i have it removed.  By 12 noon on the Friday it was out GP Nurse removed it.

I've had Chemo,  surgery x 3 then radiotherapy.  Went back to work after 9 months off.  Currently on Letrazole for 2 years after 2 years on Tamoxifen.

I am a Nurse Specialist in Psychiatry so a big fan of research.  Sadly i can't find anything the support our thoughts.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing although i am sad i had it fitted, it was my choice.

My friend had hers fitted for 5 years, was diagnosed in 2010, she has had all her treatment with it in and has since had it changed.....  Her GP reports it has nothing to do with the Marena and it needs to remain in situ.. 

I am four years on from diagnosis.  My Son has been married (my first devastating thoughts on diagnosis was my boy is going to get married and i won't be there)  and i now have a 1yr old Grandson.  I am so grateful for the treatment i had and for every day even with the pain of Letrazole etc..

Take Care  Butterfly x   

Aurora Katawhenua

My sadness is that one day in the future, we will be 'the past and the voice' of the many who said the 'Mirena' was usafe, and eventually maybe one day trials and evidence will come through to demonstrate that we were right.  I say this because my 'intuition' (yes NOT evidenced based) told me that I was uncertain as to the safety of this product. However, I allowed myself to be convinced by the "medical experts' that this was not the case despite myself and a multitude of other woman saying ,"Ummm...Are You sure?". Because I'm hearing about all these woman who were desperate to resolve their 'menopausal bleeding issues' and now they are dealing with a new diagnosis of Breast Cancer shortly or within 1-5 year time span of having a Mirena inserted. Woman like myself whom had many years (16 to be exact) of 'clear mammograms' prior to the Mirena. And then within a few months of my Mirena insertion. I found a new lump and guess what "its Breast Cancer". Yet I had lumps before over my 16years of being Cancer free from my first Breast cancer (diagnosed aged 35yrs) and all of them proved to be either fibrosis, cysts or benign lumps. Yet just a few months after my Mirena is inserted a lump grew quickly, I 'sensed' an uh oh moment. Thinking hmmm? That was quick and its not resolving or going away (as the others did). Don't get me wrong 'the Mirena' definitely helped relieve me of my heavy bleeding and hot flushes. However, these symptoms although a big pain in the arse did not carry the risk of "killing you". So here I sit getting prepared to have my whole world turned upsdie down as I commence the journey towards saving my life. This journey is going to involve Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy and Herceptin Treatment, not too mention the physical, emotional, psychological, spiritual and family impact this will have on my life. Do I have the evidence to state that my Mirena caused this..NO. Does my Intuition, my gut instinct state that the Mirena may have influenced this outcome....YES. Will I ever be certain? or be able to prove this?...Sadly NO. Do I regret having the Mirena?...YES! (#note)-Within a few days of having the Mirena removed my hot flushes returned with a vengeance. Which for me indicates the powerful affect the Mirena does have on Hormones. So now... I would rather live through the horrible symptoms of menopause than risk having a Mirena. Although the Mirena has benefits.  I would sooner be a sweaty bleeding woman than a dead one. This whole debate and situation for woman is So Sad... So very very SAD. Bless all the woman out there whom are suffering, confused and searching for answers during this most difficult time. All I can say is follow your own inner guidance, seek your own truth and trust whatever decisions you make will be Okay for you. I wish you ALL THE BEST! and pray for us all.

OrangeGirl

I was dx in 2013 (mx, chemo, RT and 10 months Tamoxifen) aged 39.

I've had a copper coil (no hormonal component) since 2010 with no problems until after chemo. 

Currently undergoing gynae investigations due to dysfunctional uterine bleeding and my consultant wants me to have a Mirena coil. I have absolutley point blank refused and she doesn't seem to comprehend my point of view. I am strongly oestrogen +ve with unknown progesterone status (in my area, once they find you are oestrogen +ve, they don't bother to test progesterone status at all). I think my problems are linked to ovarian damage due to chemo, my gynae consultant has poo-pooed me and said it's not. It doesn't give me the greatest confidence in her guidance at all. Apparently my sky high FSH value, dysfuntional bleeding, iron deficient anaemia and hot flushes are all completely normal for a woman of my age and has nothing to do with my breast cancer or it's treatment. REALLY? She wants my coil out but clever clogs consultant won't tell me what I should then do for birth control.

Feeling not listened to.

MG

I have always thought that my Mirena coil was connected to my bc. My mother also had bc and I was told never to take oestrogen-based contraception eg: pill but eventually was given a Mirena coil. Asked about this and was told it was progesterone and low dose so would be OK. Five years later I was dx with bc. 8/8 Oestrogen positive, 8/8 progesterone positive bc. 

BS also told me to remove my mirena coil as soon as I was dx

It isn't genetically linked, or at least no brca1 brca2 or palb2 link, so I wonder if hormone sensitivity may have played a role

karonwightman

I have just been diagnosed with DCIS .Having to have a mastectomy. my doctor told me to have the coil removed straight away . hope this help other BR
karonwightman

I,ve just been diagnosed with Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and been advice on having to a mastectomy on my right breast . before this disease speads in to my body . my head is all over the place at the moment finding very hard to come to tearms with i asked my doctor is this linked to the marina coil . i was told its not a cause but he told me  to have it removed staight away . i've had the coil in for 4 years . i had breast screening when i was 50 with all clear . only few  after month had coil fitted for heavy periods . next breast screening at age 53 as routine now been diagnosed with DCIS ) IN Right breast and having mastectomy .I'M not conviced its as no link . hope this will help other people decide on the coil .

dmaye88

Hello I have questions. I had the marina. Got it in april this year removed yesterday bc the side effects were crazy. Decided to do a check up too. They found a lump on my right breast. My doctor wants to see me back in six weeks to see if it goes away with new birth control. Advice?

Saemelie

It's a few years later now, I'd be grateful to hear if your symptoms improved after having it removed. My case seems very similar to yours! Thanks for your generosity. Wishing you good health, s
Stubrngrl7

Re: Mirena coil linked to Breast Cancer?

Is anyone still out there? I'm still waiting for a link to be discovered. 

Stubrngrl7

I had the same issue as you. Mirena for about 3 years. Then I was diagnosed with breast ca and the doctor wanted it robed right away. I have no family history and my genetic testing was negative. Have you figured anything out? As u see we are not tr only ones.
Lulu34

I had low grade invasive ca diagnosed in april 06 Er+ required wle and rads and was commenced on tamoxifen, which caised me terrible period probs with prolonged heavy bleeding and flooding so had mirena inserted under ga in jan 07 which has been great for bleeding probs.

im pretty sure if the title of this thread was 'no contraception linked to breast cancer' you would have even more people posting as the majority of people who get it are postmenopausal and no longer require contraception.

women are more like to get breast cancer than men.
women who are older are more likely to get breast cancer than young women.
women who are older are more likely to have mirena coils than young women.
many women who have mirena coil now were previously on the combined pill which does have a link to increased incidence of breast cancer.
also as said before many people have the mirena inserted because of heavy bleeding so could it not be the bleeding issues which indicate that you are at an increased risk of bc and not the mirena.

although i know a lot of people want to find somebody or something to blame the two main risk factors are being female and geting older but unfortunately those are the risks we can do nothing about 😞

Valkyrie

I'm glad I had my Mirena removed at diagnosis - in fact the Dr that diagnosed me recommended it in the first instance. Histology showed me to be ER 30% and PR 70% which proved in my mind that the Mirena had an effect on me developing bc (had the Mirena for 3 years). I asked my Breast surgeon on 2 occasions whether the Mirena had any impact on me developing bc but he said 'no' it was just 'bad luck' but I have a different opinion but just can't prove it. Wondered if taking a class action against the company who produced it would be feasible.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had the Mirena coil inserted in Feb 2004 and in April / May 2004 I had breast cancer. When asked by the medical team if there was anything different done recently, I mentioned having had cysts / polips lasered and a Mirena put in - but they did not consider this of any importance ! The cancer was an aggressive grade 3.

Once I had the lumpectomy, I was given chemo, radiotherapy followed by Tamoxifan. Recently, in March/April 2008 I was moved over to Anastrozole (Arimidex), on 9 Oct 2008, I found another lump. This turned out to also be malignant and I’m just now recovering from a mastectomy.

This has yet to be confirmed but it looks like, although this lump is also grade 3 and aggressive, it has a different make-up, which as I understand it, is receptive to a different hormone.

Having read the posts here I am now really very concerned that, despite being told to the contrary, there might be a causal link between the Mirena coil and the two cancers I have had. I now plan to have the Mirena removed as soon as possible.