345686posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Ireland BC Ladies

Highlighted

Re: Northern Ireland BC Ladies

AMA..…..I am so so relieved for you that its all out and your lymph nodes are clear...…do you feel relieved that that you can take another step to getting through your treatment?

It's scary when you look at a ruler and see how big 1cm actually is.....I am so glad for you its out Smiley Happy

I haven't heard of Dr McCarty.....maybe at the City there are different Oncolgist Doctors for radiotherapy and chemotherapy depending on their area of expertise......

Debbie x

Highlighted

Well today was post op appointment with surgeon for results. Relieved to know clear margins and lymph nodes, but my 5mm lump was found to be 1cm. But it’s gone now so trying not to focus on size but on the positive results. App next week with Dr McCarty Oncologist to discuss radiotherapy and the “wee tablet”. Anyone else met Dr McCarty? 3 weeks post surgery tomorrow and just want to get on and get done. Bit depressing listening to bc nurse speaking about potential side affects for rads/pill but needs must. Good luck to all onthis journey xx

Highlighted

Hi Heather.....Yes I am having FEC-T over the 6 cycles......my last two cycles I am having Herceptin & Perjecta added in and then a further 16 cycles every 3 Monday of just the Hercepin & Perjecta. I am having Tamoxifin for 10 yeats but I don't know when I start taking that yet. Hopefully around 2022 I will have my right breast lifted to match my tummy/boob.

My cancer is invasive with a high chance of recurrence I am so so grateful for the chance of having both the Herceptin & Perjecta.

I am finding today really difficult physically but I know if I can get to Monday I will have 2 great weeks and I am hoping to be able to work over week 3...….you are so right....you need to take the positives on this journey when you can and so far I have experienced some pretty wonderful ones...….Debbie xxxxx

Highlighted

Weewoman. Spoke to surgeons secretary and appointment being sent out for me for Monday. So hopefully I’ll know results of path report then. Had been told 3 weeks radiotherapy and pill likely, so just want to get on with it.  Wounds seem to be looking good, nodewound a bit puckeredlooking, despite many showers strips still clinging on to breast wound so can’t see scar yet! Not big and right at the side of breast. I’m quite sore (Im not usually a moan) like barbed wire under arm and tender on that side. But early days and I’ve been doing exercises religiously! Thinking of all of you on this journey.

Highlighted

AMA - glad to hear you got some good rest after the anaesthetic 😀 you have to take the positives where you can on this journey! How is your wound now? Any date yet? 
Debelina - best of luck for today’s chemo 🤞 how were you after your first treatment? Are you having 3 FEC followed by 3 Docetaxol? I’m not nervous as such about the radiotherapy, keen to just get on with it. Im hoping it will pass by quickly as it is just 15 sessions over the 3 weeks. I have further surgery later in the year so each ‘step’ that I complete brings me closer to the very end.

Xx

Highlighted

Hi Heather..... I to am having Tamoxifin for 10 years. My 2nd FEC is tomorrow Smiley Happy in the Brdgewater too.....no radiation planned as yet.....my dad had it for 5 weeks two years ago......they are a fabulous team too....are you feeling nervous about this next stage of your treatment?x

Highlighted

Hello Wonky. The Belfast City Hospital is amazing. That's where I was being treated until last Saturday when I moved over to England to live x

Highlighted

Weewoman79 so pleased that you have now completed chemo. Sounds like you have had a time of of it. Good luck for 2020 hopefully an easier path ahead of you. 

No date as yet for consultant. I guess the holidays will hold things up, but next week maybe normal services will return!   Wasn’t the greatest way to spend Christmas Eve but on the plus side side after general anaesthetic I never sleep for 2 nights, so I was able to do all I needed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day before I crashed and burnt!🤣

Highlighted

Hi ladies

Haven’t been on here in quite a while and only received an email notification of a response on this thread a few days ago. I had my final chemo today and my picc line came out, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed that it is over and I made it out the other side. There were some difficult days but I will be forever grateful that my treatment is to prevent a return of the cancer as it was all removed during surgery and my sentinel node was clear. I have 3 weeks of radiotherapy beginning of Feb (had an intramammary node inside tumour) and got my prescription for Tamoxifen today for 10 years....10 years, seems crazy to be on a tablet that long! But I said at the start, I will do whatever the doctors advise me to, they are the experts after all and have looked after me incredibly well this far. 
AMA - hope you are recovering well and I have to agree with Debelina, not exactly how you want Xmas Eve to go! Have you a date yet to return to see your consultant? The waiting game is so very hard, but I keep my fingers crossed for you that u get the best news possible. I know what it feels like when you just want to get on with things.

Debelina - hope you are doing ok. Have you a chemo start date? I received my treatments  in the Bridgewater Suite in the City Hospital. The staff are all lovely, and for me the weeks passed relatively quickly and I was lucky to get no infections, hence no delays. If you have any questions regarding chemo treatments please ask, I will do my best to answer.

Wishing you both a Happy New Year ❤️❤️
Heather

Highlighted

Debelina glad to hear your well, and hope things go well for you. You sure do need patience for the waiting! 

Highlighted

AMA the waiting is crazy.....I am well today Smiley Happy I don't think I need radiotherapy at the minute but that might change with my response to chemo.....I really hope that your margins are clear. The radiotherapists at the City Hospital are Angels......my dad had five weeks there last year and they are so calming and reassuring Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi thanks for reply. I’ve been told 4mm lump, invasive ductal, grade 2, oestrogen receptor,lymph nodes showed clear on scans. Nothing more discovered during surgery, just awaiting pathology and hoping for clear margin and lymph nodes. Been told likely 3 weeks radiotherapy and 5 years “little pill”.   Feeling quite tender on wound from sentinel nodes removal, removed dressing in shower and Sterri strips came away with it. Quick trip to a&e to have it checked over, all was good. Feels like a long wait until next step. Hope you’re doing well.

Highlighted

Hi AMA......definitely not the Christmas Eve any of us would want!

I hope you don’t need to wait to long for your results.......has your Dr been able to give you any idea of your next steps?

I had a mastectomy, reconstruction and all my lymph nodes removed during the same operation on the 19th Nov......where my lymph nodes were removed was definitely much easier to deal with around the 5 day mark if that’s any help for you 🤞

Debbie x

Highlighted

Hi from N Ireland.  Had Lumpectomy and removal sentinel nodes Christmas Eve.  Few weeks wait now for biopsy results from op.   Feeling bit sore and impatient to get on and do whatever comes next. 

Highlighted

Hello there Ladies,

I am from Belfast and I too am being treated at the City Hospital...… I didn't have anybody with me when I was given my news because my little dimple that I went to my Dr with had disappeared by the time I went for my appointment so I just thought I would be straight in and out at the City Hospital...….. how could I have been so silly!!!! The Surgeon and the Breast Cancer Nurses and the rest of the team in my opinion are absolute Angels.....I am so grateful that they are actually going to be able to help me...… x

Hi wonky, 

I too am from NI and have been treated at the city hospital, I have been looked after extremely well by all members of staff I have met. I was diagnosed on 3rd July and had amastectomy and diep reconstruction on 6th August. I start 6 sessions of chemotherapy next week, it is daunting not knowing what to expect. Following that, I will be having radiotherapy too. It really is such a shock, eveything has moved very quickly for me, which I am glad off, but I don't think mentally I have caught up with it all yet. I hope you are feeling as well as you can after finishing your rads ❤️ Heather

Highlighted

Hi @Wonky 

Thank you for sharing your experience, we're sorry that you haven't had a reply yet. Hopefully someone will come along along soon to share their experience.

We hope that over time this will become an active thread for those living in Northern Ireland.

Best wishes,
Laura at Breast Cancer Care

Highlighted

Northern Ireland BC Ladies

Hi, just an idea; a thread specific to NI ladies, regardless of whether recently diagnosed, in middle of treatment or post- treatment. If you think this is a good idea, post your thoughts, or if you prefer simply post a hug. If there looks to be interest I'll post again. My first comment is, that the City Hospital Cancer Centre has been, for me, exceptionally good, especially rads team. Hope all out there are managing to cope with their BC, as well as can be done. It's far from easy. Me, I finish rads next week, following surgery. (No chemo). Shell shocked over what I have gone through, but find this forum really helpful and keen to make the most of it going forwards.  Best wishes to all, Wonky.