Shingles vaccine ??‍♀️

Hi ladies, I have a question about being able to have the shingles vaccine with newly dx bc and aged under 70?  I saw this info (taken from verywellhealth.com/shingles-and-cancer-5217654) which I find interesting…

“People diagnosed with lung cancer and other solid tumor cancers (such as breast, colon, and rectal cancers) are at a higher risk for developing shingles. Both cancer and cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, impact your immune system and reduce your ability to fight off infections.”

I had a diabetic review last week and asked the practice nurse about having the shingles vaccine and was told that it is only given to 70-79 year olds. I am 58 but even with bc I don’t qualify!

The NHS England, East Midlands Cancer Alliance says that, “Usually, the immune system keeps the varicella zoster virus in check but chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiotherapy can weaken the immune system, and as we get older our immunity can decrease.”

So, my question is - have any of you lovely ladies been given the the vc virus, while having bc and aged under 70?

Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading.

Hi Cuddymumsy,

Hopefully I can help a little with some advise about the Shingles Jab there is an age when you qualify for the vaccination. I think I would give my GP surgery a call to see if they can enlighten you, other than that I’m not sure if you could pay and have it done privately may be an option. 

Best wishes, Tili :rainbow: :rainbow: