Struggling with family relationships after treatment

This is my first time posting on anything like this. I wonder if anyone can offer some help or advice.

I’m really struggling with my relationship with my family following my experience of breast cancer. It’s such an added source of pain and anguish to not be getting on well with them after coming through such a difficult and frightening period.

I was diagnosed with stage 2 TNBC last year. I’m in my 30s so it was a huge shock. Treatment was obviously brutal, exhausting, almost unsurvivable. I remember at one point thinking that if I had to go through this again I’d probably just rather die.

After 12 weeks of pacli/carbo and then 8 weeks of EC I was absolutely on my knees, almost unable to function - I was sick, hallucinating, you name it. One week after my last chemo IV my sister told me she was pregnant and my reaction was kind of neutral - not hugely excited or expressing the joy she clearly expected. I was too sick to feel any happiness at that point in my life. I was also convinced that I would probably be dead in the next few years and would never see the baby grow up. I said congratulations but she was clearly very disappointed that I wasn’t jumping for joy.

For a period of about 6 weeks after this I retreated from my family. I needed some time to recover from the absolute trauma of chemotherapy so after my initial neutral response, I wasn’t really in contact with my sister during this period of her pregnancy. But then after 6 weeks I found that I had the strength to start handling things again and I got in touch with her to try to see her and smooth things over. I knew I had hurt her feelings and I wanted to sort things out.

The following months involved me reaching out to her over and over and over again in an attempt to see her, and her pretty much ignoring me completely. I apologised twice (in writing since she refused to see me). The only time she did agree to see me (which came after a couple of months of being totally ignored) she shouted at me in a public place. I’ve never seen her that angry, she was like some kind of wild animal. 

And the problem is that during this period when she was point blank refusing to speak to me and/or shouting at me in public because I had wronged her so much, I was still in cancer treatment. She didn’t try to see me after my surgery, she completely ignored me through 20 rounds of radiotherapy. She didn’t message me on the last day of treatment. She just checked out completely from my life and treatment which was incredibly painful. 

It’s now 6 months later and despite my huge effort things are still not repaired and I fear they never will be now. I understand that my parents are in an impossible position, but their continuing attempts to be neutral and suggest that there are “two side to this story” are driving me crazy. In doing so, I feel my whole family is drawing a comparison between pregnancy and cancer, as if they are experiences of equal difficulty which should be treated as if they are the same.

But I feel that pregnancy and cancer are not equivalent. One is not like the other. I think that she was acting in an unreasonable way at a time when I was facing a year-long near death experience and no one has confronted her with that fact. I have had to explain this to my parents over and over and over again, and the effort of doing so is almost breaking me in two. It is an acutely traumatic experience to have to outline to your family the reasons why having cancer is hard and might have an impact on your capacity to deal with life, but they just don’t seem to get it. For the benefit of the family I have put these feelings aside and made countless efforts to reconcile with her, none of which have been met with any success. I now feel unable to make any further efforts as the act of silencing myself and my own feelings is causing me so much pain that I think it is ultimately counterproductive. 

My parents think I should speak to her and explain how I feel but even the act of doing this is, again, opening myself up for the trauma of having to persuade the people close to me that cancer is difficult which they just don’t seem to see. My boyfriend is so angry with the way they are treating me that we are planning to move away. Although this will help in the short term, it’s very painful in the long term to feel like I’ve lost all my family at a time when i’m still only a couple of months out of treatment. I would have hoped this time would be one in which I could rely on them but instead I’ve lost them all. I feel abandoned at a time of great pain and vulnerability and don’t know what to do to move forward. The other day I even had an intrusive thought along the lines of - “what was the point of going through all that effort to stay alive if this is what I’m left with, perhaps it would have been better if I had just died”. That thought was very frightening but is a sign of just how hopeless I feel that things will getter. I just can’t see a way forward.

Hi

I have no answers - your family has created a terrible situation which I found heart-breaking to read, partly because of how you went through all that treatment with no family support. I did too - neither of my brothers (one in Australia) ever asked how I was doing. It was too scary for them! I can only assume that, like most first-time mothers, your sister’s pregnancy is her prime focus and, in her eyes, you have spoiled it - either by your lukewarm response to the news or, again in her eyes, hijacking her wonderful news by introducing the dreaded cancer to the family, so again she didn’t get the 100% family joy. I wonder if your diagnosis has scared her?

If your sister is so hostile and your parents can’t broker a reunion (they sound mighty passive here) then moving away may help but you’ve already been deprived of the love and support each of us needs during cancer treatment. You’re fortunate to have an understanding partner at least.

Triple negative breast cancer is frightening. I was diagnosed with primary breast cancer in autumn 2018 and secondary breast cancer in March 2021 (today’s my 1st anniversary!). It was only then that I realised that one of my two original tumours was triple negative, as is my secondary tumour. But I’ve never seen it as a death sentence as you have. You ave completed your primary treatment. Apart from staying alert to any unexpected changes in your body, there is no reason now to think the worst. You have a cancer-free life ahead of you. I would strongly advise you to make use of the nearest Maggie’s Centre and talk to people who understand cancer. Your breast care nurse could also help because, at the root of this is the underlying belief that you are/were close to death and no one seemed to care. There’s a lot of anger in there that needs to be aired safely. If you have no access to Maggie’s, you could ring the number above and talk to one of the nurses. They are brilliant listeners. Or ring Macmillan who may be able to put you in contact with a local counsellor (you really need someone who understands the trauma of cancer).

I’m sorry I’ve no answers - I just wanted to send you a virtual hug and advise you not to see TN as the end of the world. I hope someone will come up with better reassurance. You’ve done the right thing by opening up and expressing your feelings and your dilemma here. Wishing you a peaceful outcome

Jan xx

Lipsimium, I’m not surprised that you feel like you do! The behaviour exhibited by your family throughout your treatment of this horrible disease seems cruel. And, whilst I understand that family members can find the cancer diagnosis of a loved one difficult and don’t always know how best to support or respond they should also be able to have enough empathy with you to imagine how you feel(in my humble opinion) I found that people can be very selfish. People I thought would check in(some family members and friends) didn’t and when they did still wanted me to sympathise with them about their ‘woes’ I had a really supportive husband and support and messages from people I ever expected which was lovely. You seem to have a very supportive partner so that’s  fantastic and no wonder he is cross about the  way you are being treated - he wants to protect you! I think sometimes we just have to accept  family and friends don’t act as we’d  like and if their actions hurts us then maybe for our own sanity we have to distance ourselves either  mentally or physically until we have the strength to deal with it or not as the case may be. You deserve more! I hope you can find some peace, the extra stress is not conducive t your overall healing  process. My thoughts are with you. Hugs xx

Hi @Lepsimium ,

I am are very sorry to read this and I hope you find this Forum a safe, supportive space for you to speak about your feelings freely. Although we cannot bring your family to understand how your feeling and the very difficult time you have gone through, we are always here if you want to talk or find more support. Please remember this and do call our Breast Care Nurses on our free phone Helpline for a chat if you need one - 0808 800 6000.

You can also find out more about the support services we offer on our website here.

Sending warm wishes,
Shareena
Forum Moderation Team

I think @delly 's suggestion about printing copies off and distributing them to your family is a great idea! You might also want to include some information about TNBC. Only about 15% of breast cancers are triple negative, and its treatment at present differs from other breast cancer types because there aren’t (as yet) any long term targeted treatments for this type of BC. That in itself is a bit of a worry for those of us who were given the TNBC diagnosis. Especially when we might have met others along our treatment path who are still having some sort of treatment (tamoxifen for instance) after the Chemo and radiotherapy has ended. Its a very distressing and worrying time during treatment and also after when our minds are still trying to come to terms with it all. Personally I focused on getting through the physical side of the treatment and when that ended and I didn’t have the endless appointments with the medical professionals, it seemed odd and I felt a bit adrift. Precisely the time you need extra support from family and friends. The Breast Care Nurses were brilliant and this forum is great as people are so supportive of each other. Please just chat and offload when you need to. But it is definitely worth trying to educate your family like @delly suggested and let them know just how difficult it is for you to cope with what you’re going through/have been through. Stay strong lovely. Everyone on here is there for you. xxHugs

Dear@Lepsimium  

I just wanted to say I totally ‘get’ where you were coming from in terms of what you describe as your neutral response to your sister’s pregnancy, both on a practical level in terms of your completely depleted emotional resources having just finished your own treatment, and also in terms of perhaps not ‘letting’ yourself feel engaged with it because of completely understandable fears that you might not know this child as it grows up. It really resonates with me because, on the day my cancer treatment finished, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, dying three weeks later. Was I upset about it? Yes, of course. But did I actually have all that much of an overt emotional response to it? To be honest, not really. I did not have the emotional bandwith to process someone else’s cancer as well as my own. And of course my brain didn’t really want to think about someone else having cancer and dying, just as perhaps you might want to self-protect from emotionally investing in something about the future. I have questioned myself for being selfish but your post helps me to understand it.

I just want to say that I get it, and I also understand what it is like when other people don’t get it. I hope you can get support to process this.

Dear @Lepsimium  What an awful situation to be in, on top of the horrors of your treatment. I write as a fellow TNBC sufferer. Whilst I haven’t experienced anything on the scale of your sister’s reaction, I am certainly noticing that some of the people close to me just can’t cope with the diagnosis. Whilst they haven’t taken it out on me, they have gone into hiding or won’t talk about what I am going through when they do see me. I think it’s possibly too close to home for them, and their reactions therefore protect them but miss the mark as far as I am concerned. Perhaps with a family member and the potential involvement of genetics in TNBC, they are struggling with their own fears. Many people have been great - it’s definitely a way of finding out who you can rely on. The only advice I can give is to focus on yourself and on getting back to the best health you can. Lean on those you find you can rely on, and spend as little time as possible with the rest.