Surprises in mammogram

Hi Ladies

Just wondering if anyone else, on having first mammogram after surgery, has been told that all six pins show up wonderfully? This really was not something that I expected the nurse to say and then she showed me the picture of my post operative breast and lo and behold six pins clearly visible.  When I saw the consultant to discuss results etc I asked him about the pins and he was quite surprised that I did not know they were there, he said he always places marker pins pointing to the exact spot where the tumour had been so that the radiotherapy team know where to target.  Anyway, so I now have six small titanium pins that will be a permanent fixture all pointing to one point so a bit like petals. Interested to know how commonplace this procedure is as cannot find anything in literature was given on diagnosis. Thanks in advance

I have a pin - shaped like a little bow - they put it in when I had core biopsy - I think it’s pretty common procedure to help them identify the exact area of concern to help  during surgery and radiotherapy .