Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

monitoring after mastectomy

3 REPLIES 3
bookish

Re: monitoring after mastectomy

Hi Jules

My recovery is going really well and while I'm not happy to have had to make the decision at all, I do think the result is about the best I could have gone for.

I was lucky to be offered a nipple-sparing, 2-stage mastectomy - like Angelina Jolie had, only thing I'll ever have in common with her 😉 So I had a reduction and nipple repositioning followed 4 months later by the mastectomy and immediate reconstruction, with silicone implants.

Are they safe? I'm not feeling too worried about them, really. It's only been 3 months but the only issue so far has been rippling, so I suspect I might be offered lipofill. Still, while upsetting initially, it's not awful. And bonus, they are very 'perky' and will remain so - my best mate is already making jokes about when we're both 80 and mine are still where they are while hers are at her knees 😉

I think I was appalled at the idea of going flat when mastectomy was first discussed, and it was only afterwards that I got myself to the point of "Yeah, if I had to, I could have." That said, there was something psychological about never seeing myself boob-less, I guess, and that they do still look pretty much like 'my boobs'.

Hope your surgeon can allay your fears, although worth remembering that they wouldn't be permanent - you can change your mind! My surgeon reassured me that I could try own-tissue recon if I really hated the implants, but best to give the least-surgery version a chance first. I'm not looking to change!

More than happy to answer any other questions you have, here or in a PM. Take care xx

Jules1953

I live in Western Australia, on the 3rd February this year I had bilateral mastectomy. The surgery removed all the cancer and I don't need to undergo chemo or radiation therapy. At the same time I had my bilateral mastectomy I also had expanders placed in my chest in preparation for having implants in a few months time. I am now considering going flat as I am not confident enough in the safety of implants.  I am seeing my breast surgeon on 21 April to discuss my concerns. I was wondering what type of implants did you choose and how is the recovery going for you. Are you feeling well and happy with your decision. Kind regards Jules1953

Evie-S
Community Champion

Hi bookish - I had a single right mastectomy and I now have an annual mammogram on my left, and sometimes an ultrasound on the right or at least an examination. But I think all hospitals are different. I hope you are recovering well from your surgery. Evie xx

bookish

monitoring after mastectomy

Hi all,

I had a bilateral mastectomy in January, with immediate implant reconstruction. I'm wondering what kind of ongoing monitoring I might be able to expect. I've been 'high risk' for almost 2 decades, getting annual MRIs, so the idea of going to no monitoring at all feels a bit ... asking for trouble?

Has anyone else with a mastectomy - esp. bilateral - continued monitoring, and if so what kind? 

Thanks 🙂