68423members
359959posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Highlighted

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

FF, it's always hard to get back into the thick of it after a long time off. I know that feeling of seeming fine whilst at home and then suddenly not when attempting to do all the usual things! Can you negotiate for a phased return? Perhaps whoever has been standing in for you can share the work for a while? (Even if it means less money - surely that'll help?)

Hope the journey home wasn't too flood-affected Grumpy and that you had a good holiday.

I've cooled myself down during this latest hot weather by knitting Cedric:Cedric snowman.jpg

Highlighted

So back to work today......couldn't do it....after two hours I'd had it. Knackered. Did the main school but have left the other small annex until tomorrow.  This is ok over the weekend but does not bode well for next week. It is one thing to feel perfectly well sitting at home watching tv or reading a book and quite another to be back at work.  Meeting with executive head etc. on Monday may or may not buy me some leeway or I'll be back to the Dr for more time off. 

Hope you all have a good weekend, 

Highlighted

Ladies, our holiday ends tomorrow with drive home, and guess what TORRENTIAL RAIN!!!!

But food in the pub was great HUGE portion of steak and Stilton pie, no room for pudding only red wine..... .

Dogs are totally worn out, the ASBO Boy was too tired to eat his tea so he will get every mealtime until he finishes it. Meg has been a star at Chatsworth today, had lots of photos taken so hopefully she will get over not being invited to THAT birthday party.

Another nip of tincture then bed methinks.

Grumpy

Highlighted

Delly, it was my friend who developed Lynn, out of the blue, 13 years post op. KTC is 5 years (?) post op and has had it for at least the last 3.

My friend had just 11 nodes removed and then RT to rest due to presence of cancer cells in just one node.

When I had an operation (under local anaesthetic) on my right (good side) hand, 2 years ago, I had to have the blood pressure cuff on my leg during the op. My goodness that was soooo painful - like severe cramp every minute for half an hour! Then they wonder why BP is sky high??! 😞 Do you have to have BP done on your leg too?

Highlighted

Faced with the dreaded prospect of having to get up and dressed tomorrow to go and hang around for hours at the garage to get car air con sorted, I had a little mosey online and discovered I can book an appointment to get it done. Booked for Thursday, after school. Paid for. Sorted. No need to stray from the CBA bench too early tomorrow!! 🙂

Moi?? Lazy?? No, no, no. 😛

I'd better let the Met Office know, though, because by Friday we should expect sub-zero temperatures and/or continual rain for weeks?

Highlighted

Ooooo 'eck JCJ to your lost ankle adornment - was it valuable? Can't you use a piece of glittery tinsel instead, as it's more easily replaced !!

Katy - can I just have a bit of a serious chat about lymphoedema and avoidance of needles/cannula's in the affected arm. Am I right in thinking that you had a single mast with ANC so are still able to have your UNaffected arm used for bloods or cannulas?? Or was it a double mast and ANC you had??

I ask, because I've had struggles with medics recently, being the latter and therefore always advised to never have arms used, but instead to have any needle procedures carried out to medial (inner) ankle veins or top of the foot. Yes, it's all to reduce risks of infection/lymphoedema to either of the affected arms. I'm 9yrs post op and wondered if anyone has had other veins elsewhere accessed for blood, anaesthetic, contrast mediums etc.

Reading back through your recent posts, and ref JCJ's friend developing "Lynn", are you saying that you developed it 13yrs post op and don't know what the cause was?? If so, it just goes to show me just how important it is that I still stand up to anyone saying - "You "should" be okay under aseptic techniques", which I still get pushed at me sometimes and have to refuse. Nearly gave in to an anaesthetist recently, because she couldn't manage to cannulate either feet for a CT contrast medium. So I still haven't had this more detailed liver scan carried out, due to it requiring someone of extra proficiency to cannulate me.

Hope your new sleeve is helping.

Hi to everyone else. Good to see you back FF and hear you're doing okay.

Love to all xxxx 

Woo hoo JCJ, you are doing really well despite the detours. ....
FF hurrah you're back so glad you are still on the up!
Pssst tat good job we are going to Norcambe!
Feeding the ducks and every bird in the vicinity again today, going to bed exhausted, haha what a drip x x

Highlighted

Another mile closer to Calais. 42% of the distance completed!  There was some heavy shipping in 'The Channel' tonight; I had to frequently deploy the swerve action. There were also a lot of 'slow boats' - no idea if they were on their way to China, but if so, it'll take them bloody YEARS at that rate!! Clocked 65 lengths, but it was probably nearer 70 with the number of detours I had to make!!

Now sitting in the garden with mugatea and a bowl of muesli before going to beddy byes. 🙂

Highlighted

Said granny is a great character.  I think she would fit in very well with all the MMU4 camel and glitter related shenanigans 😀 

Highlighted

She clearly doesn't know what she's missing by avoiding Morecambe, T4T!

Helloooo FF!! Welcome back. Glad you are feeling better. Weehoo for magic meds! 🙂

I'm on the p***** off bench because now it's finally warm enough to wear skirts and sandals for work (only 1 skirt at a time - I'm not that avant garde! :p) I looked in my jewellery box to find my ankle chain. The box is there but it's empty! No idea what's happened to that! I must have lost it somewhere when I was wearing it - or maybe I took it off to put my walking boots on last summer and put it somewhere daft. 😞

Just spent hours trawling through Mr Futon's stock, but I can't find anything like the one I lost. Grrrrr!

Highlighted

Oh ladies, I'm on the PMSL bench!!

Watching The big C and me' and fabulous 83 year old granny with pancreatic cancer responds to daughter's entreaty to make a bucket list.  "Well, I don't want to go to Morecambe, do I?"  Nearly (only nearly) spat out my g&t!! 

Highlighted

Hello *waves* I'm back.  Broadband sorted. laptop sorted  Hopefully nothing else will go wrong. Have just read through pages of posts, not going to comment as would take far too long. 

Yes, only internet problems keeping me away.  I'm ok, been rough but back to work this week. New meds are magic, working well and making me feel much better.

I can play piano/keyboards for  JCJ's crossing of the channel!

Highlighted

mmmmmmmmmm not too sure about that Ali??? hahahaSmiley Happy

Funny how all the tasty yummy things just appear out of nowhere..........

Am on the "CBA" bench, had baby today out for a walk (3 actually) we fed the ducks, sparrows, white bird with really pretty eyes don't know what it is and the pigeons. Every bird or animal we see gets an excited "ooh", went into town afterwards by myself now literally can't do anything else..........

Weirdly those caramel slices have appeared in my cupboard, might make me get up off the sofa real soonSmiley Happy xx 

Highlighted

OMG! It's suddenly got sooooo hot, now we're back at school. My car said it was 30° and my air con has packed up. My direct route to and from work is closed for a fortnight so I have to come via a massive motorway roundabout with about 10 sets of traffic lights. I thought I was actually going to melt before I got home!

I *had* to have an ice cream to recover. One with chocolate (not black) AND nuts on it - living dangerously?! 😛

2 days of this half term done. 31 1/2 left - not that I'm counting or anything Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Katy I think they were born (created?) knowing how to swear....

Highlighted

Who taught Hump & Dink to swear??? Ali???

Yep JCJ you can never become complacent, always be aware.

Am being plagued by HAYFEVER, geez have had an odd occurence but never like this..............that's what happens when we have sunshine here haha.

Finally have all my channels back, woo hoo!!! Better late than never.

I had my armpit zapped as well JCJ, after 13 years it's the last thing you expect, has she caught it early? xx

Highlighted

Heard some depressing news today. There's a woman who volunteers at our school who has been really supportive of me, when she heard about my BC,  because she was 10 years ahead of me. She always asks how I am and just quietly understands - in that been there/know the feeling way. She even gave me her email, last year, so I could let her know my scan results. Anyway, she told me today that after 13 years of being fine Lynn has suddenly come to visit!!  Oh for goodness sake?!  She says she hasn't done anything stupid and has no idea why it's happened. 

I suppose, looking on the bright side: she had 11 nodes out and RT to the underarm (as 1 node affected), so she's lucky to have had 13 years without Lynn. She says, "Well, at 70, if it wasn't this it'd be something else!" 

A timely reminder that we can never get blasé? 😞

Highlighted

Hello Pppppercy! Pppppeter is readjusting to non-student life, just in case his human ever gets a job. he quite misses the seagulls (Aberystwyth uni) and the pizza deliveries, although home life has its advantages (namely clean bedding). His human has gone to centre parcs with his uni friends to celebrate the end of three years study (aka putting off looking for a job for a bit longer), so Pppppeter is teaching Hump and Dink to speak penguin. Apparently there are two hundred words for snow, seventy five for fish, and ninety ways of saying "it's bloomin cold today".  Hump and Dink Have taught him how to swear. :):)

Highlighted

Probably won't be at MMU4, as the plan is to visit the shetland isles in July and August - it will take forever to get to north Scotland and back.

Sun is out today, so considering the Mature Lady Shorts.....

Grumpy

Highlighted

Heehee JCJ, he's cuteSmiley Happy!

Fabulous news regarding daughter, woo hoo!

Would be great if you could book, me, you and FF are def, grumpy don't know (grumpy let us know please), RevCat is a maybe? So if we go with 4? We can change it later...........

Another brilliant sunshine day here, what's going on? xx

New sleeve is fab xx

Highlighted

Ppppercy says hello, Ali, and wants to know how his cousin Pppeter is doing now he's finished university! 😛

1. IMG_20160603_235131.jpg
Highlighted

Virtually swimming Dover to Calais. Saying October as I swim a maximum of 1 mile once a week and during school holidays I don't always (or ever??) go due to being away/otherwise occupied/firmly routed to CBA bench.

There's a few of us meeting up in the summer - have done the last 3 years - hence all the references to 'Norecambe' prom.

KTC - do you want me to book afternoon tea? How many for?

Great news from YD: they have exchanged contracts on the house! 🙂 Completion on 27th when they come back from their 6 day camping holiday. Kitchen fitter meeting them at the house on Monday to quote - there's a free-standing cooker, that's not staying and they don't want to buy another free-stander so will have to fit a kitchen before they move in.

They handed in their notice on their flat yesterday, someone has been to see it today and will take it - moving in on 16th July- so it's all happening very fast now! 😄

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yea, JCJ you are absolutely spot on the weather WILL be improving from the weekend onwards and summer will be arriving.......all ready for your return to work. Round our way it is going to be nicely into the 20s next week....niceeeee. Now, remind me, as it has passed me by ( things seem to be at the moment, I got freaked by the flashing red warning light and alarm in radiotherapy yesterday, which had happened exactly the same the day before but I'd not noticed it ?!?!?!) .....are you England bound or France bound? It won't take till October at this rate, you are going very fast!

who are you meeting Katy, Grumpy or JCJ?

hurrah, it's nearly the weekend, which means doing weekendy things.....which are not based on medically things. 😄

Highlighted

Well done JCJ, nearly thereSmiley Happy!

grumpy, we have brilliant sunshine hereSmiley Happy!

Booked train tickets, woo hoo, Norcambe will see you soonSmiley Happy!

Afternoon Tea is beckoning................

Am arriving on the Mon so remember I will be meeting you, not if you arrive at the same time though hahaha xx

Highlighted

Another mile swum. Now 8.14 miles off the coast of dover. 13.86 miles to Calais. Should be there by October, providing I don't have too many weeks on the CBA bench over the summer! Nearly didn't go tonight. It was soooo hard to make myself go.

Weather cold and dull here. I bet it'll improve when I'm back at work next week, be glorious for 7 weeks, then cr*p out again when we break up for the summer. That's what usually happens!

Highlighted

We're in the peak district, revisiting places I haven't been to in years. And the weather is fine but a bit windy.

Joey is the white terrier in my picture and is known as the ASBO Boy, her Grace is Meg the Corgi known as the Duchess, FRIGHTFULLY grand.

Grumpy

Highlighted

Yeh, Charys, hope you get through your treatments without any hiccups.
Love to everyone xxx
Highlighted

Grumpy, who or what are Joey and Grace ??
Highlighted

Hump & Dink put the fear of god into KTC, when they visit, C. Because they are sooo badly behaved. Absolute mayhem they caused in Norrison's in Norecambe the other year. And they rampaged about on the stairs of the (cheap & basic well known chain) hotel all night annoying all the other guests.

Great news you are on the last hurdle of treatment. It will seem like it goes on for aaages, but it'll soon be over now. Rest when you need to and keep slathering on the aqueous cream or whatever your rads team recommend. 

I hope the weather's better for this camping trip, Grumpy. No snow this time? Where are you going?

I hope Lynn behaves now you have your new sleeve, KTC.

Hope all is well with you, FF, and that the lack of posting is just lack of internet! 

I just did the supermarket shop. 2 enormous chocolate & hazelnut croissants for only 24p!! It would be rude not to buy them?? I just scoffed one as a reward for putting 3-weeks' shopping' away. Yum. I'll put some in the shed.

Watching red tennis. I think the commentator has been to Benchland as he said one of the players was in the part of the shed where the spiders live!! 🙂

Oooh! I can edit in rich text tonight! 😁 (So no excuse for all the typos?!)

Highlighted
Community Champion

When who comes to visit are you a trembling wreck Katy?

Hey JCJ, lovely British Summertime pictures you posted there lol

I m on the 'congratulating myself' bench today, 1 st RT day......I don't know why I'm congratulating myself, just feels like getting to another emotional hurdle and jumping over it. Actually, the radiographers etc. Deserve the congratulation, so I'll pop over to the 'glad it's underway' bench instead. I'll save the congratulation bench for when it's done and dusted. Such a young and dynamic team at the hospital I am at...they all look in their 20s. That's good, recent training and not jaded about working yet. ☺️

So, bench land has been quiet recently I think. How's the channel swimming coming along?

Highlighted

Have a lovely hol grumpy, so glad your new meds are workingSmiley Happy!

JCJ, it looks freezing, brrrrrrrrrr, we are basking in sunshine, it's fabulous!

My new sleeve, glove combi arrived yesterday, really much better fit am well pleased, not been wearing anything for a week or so and Lynn is trying to get bigger, def notice a difference, hey ho, it really is a must to keep wearing it, she's a complete bratSmiley Frustrated xx

Highlighted

Joint pain report - New meds prescribed after thumping GPs desk, and referral back to consultant. I couldn't get up Jenkins Crag which is a fairly easy walk, so he took me seriously thank goodness. Seem to be working and I can do my back exercises again so it's all tickety boo.

Joey now has aromatherapy oils to spray on his chest, so he is much calmer. In fact he seems to have a goofy grin on his face....

Her Grace doesn't like her car safety harness as it spoils her hair (fur).

Off on a camping trip tomorrow HURRAY

grumpy

Highlighted

20160530_144639.jpg

Three penguins (otherwise known as my OH and 'the girls')

admiring the wind surfers. Thank goodness we didn't get today's weather yesterday! It has persisted it down most of the way home. No power at Ely station, where we changed trains, so we had to rely on good old fashioned paper notice boards! Still successfully made it home. On kn *****ed bench now.
Highlighted

bella, that was last year JCJ was blowing...............

Sooooooooo pretty H & D just a shame that they are playing tug o' war, all the time!

You must have the patience of a saint charys, they are such a handful, when they came to stay I was left a trembling wreck, fortunately I seem to always be out when they contact me nowadays???

Gosh can hardly believe it Ali, your son finished, remember how sad you felt when he first left?

"killer jars"??? that's some pub JCJ...............do you think there will be any in Norcambe?

Weather fab, GS having his nap, whew! Already been out watching the ducks, tiring for his little legs.

Redeemed myself yesterday, met friend who I stood up on Fri, had a lovely time and apologised at least 500 timesSmiley Embarassed!

When my chariot went wobbly and was fixed with missing bolt, forgot to say I also wheeled it through doggie poo, my lucky day, methinks xx

Highlighted

JCJ are you ok? Sounds like you were having problems with your bowels on the beach with all that 'wind' !! Those poor kite surfers, thought they were going to have a nice day out on the beach and along you come and blow them away 🙂 xx

Highlighted

Stupid bloody auto correct: CALAIS NOT Calvin!!
Highlighted

If that's the only "strange image" you have, Charys after reading all about killer jars, wobbly chariots, hairy faced balding women and all the other Bench land exploits then gawd help you.

Just had a VERY windy walk on the beach. I now feel like I have sand in EVERY crevice!! There were loads of kite surfers in the sea being lifted about 15' in the air. Mad fools?!

That's what you can do for my welcome committee at Calvin. I can just see KTC with her chariot being pulled along by a kite. I'm sure Hump & Dink will enjoy it too - provided they've been disentangled! 😉
Highlighted
Community Champion

LOL guys! See, training was needed, I told you. Never mind, it's all ended well with Bella's son with a summer job. I have an image of camels at the checkout, and it's a strange one lol

Highlighted

Ali I can't believe you've left 'push me pull me' at the checkout. I hope it was a good class supermarket so that they get well fed. They could be there for years, unless they get attacked by JCJ's killer jars, sounds like the hotel has really gone down hill if they're trying to kill off their guests. Am all for the silent choir that is more my style. My son is studying business and marketing at Manchester but the idea of working over the summer is apparently only in my head. He says he's going to 'look after' his mum whilst he's on holiday....for four months!! This is the child that came in 'quietly' at 4am this morning. Think I'll have to invest in them breakfast jars....or send him to the supermarket to get push me pull me home. Now that could take four months, Charys I owe you for messing up the plaiting it'll keep my son out of my hair all summer 🙂

Highlighted

Charys the plaiting is lovely, I like how you've woven the ribbons through and the little beads and bells in there too are just gorgeous. One teeny, tiny thing though.....you've plaited them together. One camel has to walk backwards, it can see where it's been but not where it's going. The problems I had nipping round the supermarket with them for some bread were unbelievable, I left them at the express check out arguing about who was going to lead the way home. 

My son was at Aberystwyth studying Computer Sciences, he's convinced he's done badly in his finals. We mentioned the evil four letter word to him earlier (w o r k ), I'll work up to the others ( t I d y , I r o n, s o r t....) but he's very good at w a s h, b a k e  and s o a p so I can't complain :):)

Highlighted

*kilner* jars not "killer" jars. Lol. So much for editing??
Highlighted

We have an interesting theory - well a theory anyway - that being c**p at singing and BC have a link. Or maybe it's just Benchlanders? Any way, that's why we have the silent choir!

I am sitting in the same 'hotel' room (room above a pub) that 15 months ago I spent the night feeling really ill. I'm glad we didn't stay here in October, because even now the memory is a bit too fresh. Have to keep reminding myself that the gallstone is gone so it won't happen again even though we've just had Indian takeaway and red wine for dinner. (Both banned substances with a gallstone!)

The pub has changed hands and is much noisier than when we've stayed here before. Or it could be just because it's Sunday - usually come here Mon to Wed. The breakfast 'hamper' is pathetic compared to what it used to be too: no croissants, no muffins and just 2 packs of variety cereals, (used to be killer jars with muesli and cornflakes) plastic sachet of jam (WHY - supposed to put it on our cereal??), fruit yogurts and fresh fruit.

Going to have a drive by viewing of the girls new house tomorrow and go to the seaside if the weather's not as bad as forecast and the roads are not too bank holiday clogged.

offspring home from uni: back to being unable to sleep until they get in at all hours. I remember it well. At least when they're away you don't KNOW when they're out!!

ooh! Can edit on my phone! Just as well with this ridiculously small keyboard! 🙂
Highlighted

Katy - Moi - Bad Girl - Naaaaa. Bit loony yeh. Awwww, I really felt for you losing a bolt and having to go back for, but glad you found it. Not quite the same as a recent faux pas of mine. Got locked in John L store car park which closed at 8, whilst I was in the big S'burys adjoined to it after. Ended up having to get a taxi home (about 10 miles), but just as I was 10 mins away from home, remembered I'd left my house keys, guess where?? Yeh in the car!!! So had a double journey in the taxi. Fortunately, the taxi driver and I, being of a similar age, were enjoying a really nostalgic chat about music, him also being a musician. Nice fella let me off the second fayre cos he'd enjoyed chatting so much - bless. Still had to go back and pick my car up the next day tho'. 

Ali - maybe you're right. Anna or Lizzy - you wissenin? The offer's there. Let me know, cos if No, I've a whole long list of others to get through. Listen to you and Bella - "lovingly" complaining about your boys being home from Uni. Hope yours gets a job sorted soon - plus start doing their own washing !!

Bella - glad you got out to see your geegee and enjoy some sunshine and company.

Loadsa love

Delly xxxx 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ohhhhh OK Bella, if it s that bad......can we at least all wave a Pom Pom, is that something that suits the skills of the assembled Benchlanders? Lol

What is your son studying Ali ?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what happened to Katy, it didn't sound very technical a 'bolt falling off' that could have been from anything anywhere ??

I'm not sure the camels are up to the job after my effort, without even a full training package for me it's just been a case of making up as I go along.....I fed them nachos and yoghurt.
Highlighted

Charys, please no choir unless I can still play the triangle. Did you see the pics from the boblets with their mouths wide open well that's me but with a whaling noise coming out. Like to think I can sing when in the shower but I'm not that cruel that I would subject it to anyone at the home coming party. Ali, am with you on the happy mum bench and my house has been turned upside down by son returning home from his first year at uni with all his wordly possessions. I am walking round the house telling myself it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but hell its a mess 🙂 Katy...I have a plan Charys has sorted the camels out so next time you go to faraway shops take one of them, don't think any nuts or bolts will fall off...but if they do you've got a real problem. Have had a lovely day today (well morning) I went to watch my horse jumping as I haven't seen her in 3 weeks due to the surgery. It was really lovely to see her and my friends from the yard but 2 hours out of the house and walking around completely knackered me and haven't been able to move all afternoon. But it was worth it. Things are so much nicer when the sun is shining. Do we think Delly's been banned again? There is always that one naughty girl but I always wanted to be friends with them at school cos they always seemed to have much more fun. Enjoy your evenings xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ummmm Ali, I've been having to take care of the camels whilst you ve been AWOL and I'm not trained for the job!!! I plaited their tails and everything.

You might be right Ali about Delly's detention, maybe a spurned or disappointed potential love interest?

Katy, the band isn't coming along very well AT ALL, cymbals, a triangle and a trumpet.....and that's it. We might have to scrap that plan and have a choir instead?

I've been wondering where FF and T4T are too??
Highlighted

Delly, I have a theory. Did you forget to propose to our lovely mods, and so they popped you into detention while you considered the error of your ways?

My son is home after his final year at uni, so I'm on the Happy Mum bench. It's next to several very full washing lines, and a kitchen with expanding cupboards to fit his saucepans and other treasures in. 🙂

Highlighted

JCJ, have a lovely break, hope you are better today!

delly what have you been up to??? Looks like the "bad girl" bench for youSmiley Happy

charys, what's happening with the band?

hope you are behaving, bella.

grumpy, are you better?

tat, are you there?

FF, Where are you?? Are none of your machines working or are you too busy SEWING?

Had a horrible day yesterday, went along to faraway shops on the way back, noticed my chariot felt a little wonky, checked and saw that one of the bolt things had fallen off...................grrrr, was sooooooooo near home had to turn back and the search beganSmiley Frustrated!

Luckily, found it a short distance from the faraway shops, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Soooooooooo was exhausted.

YD off to a wedding today, it's beautiful here, sun shining, woo hoo xx

Highlighted

Ooooooo, I'm usually pretty good on my spelling. Thanks for correcting me so nicely and sweetly - yes, the musical sort. With a C Y M and an A. xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

LDElly, what symbols do you have in mind.....a recycling one, or a chemical symbol, or simple letters of the alphabet? Can I suggest none of the above and go for some CYMBALS instead as they will make more noise. You reckon you can manage that and blowing your own trumpet?

I feel really bad for Babs, poor little thing, so abandoned. ☹️