68533members
360483posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Highlighted

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

I should have done things today but didn't, as well.  Didn't take the car into the garage for it's new tyres, going tomorrow instead.  Didn't go to school as I should have done, still feeling rather lousy with this cold although I am improving.

Cleaning the oven? Really, you are a domestic godess!  Sorry about your friend's daughter, hope she mends quickly.

Yes, back on the 2nd!  Earlier than usual but then we've broken up early, so the same length of holiday.

My lovely heating engineer came to my rescue today, thought he'd fixed it , then it misbehaved again. He was actually saying his goodbyes when we both heard the boiler go off when it shouldn't have done.  So glad he was still here!  He came back this afternoon with a new thermostat and I'm cautiously saying all seems ok at the moment.

I really must get my **** into gear.  I did quite well with Xmas shopping but I seem to have praised myself for that and not done anything further.  I need to get moving and actually wrap the pressies I've got and just buy the one or four odds and ends I need.

Highlighted

Oh gosh JCJ, avoid like the plague next year............

Not like Norcambe then??? haha

Have fun this eveningSmiley Happy

Hope your heating is fixed FF, you need it working properly at this time of year.

You go back on the 2nd?? Wow people are still celebrating here on that daySmiley Happy

GS is taller, what's he like??

Bought my cheaper than cheap telephone today, found out old ones batteries had leaked (lack of use obviously) no point replacing as batteries would have been more expensive haha and not sure if phone was damaged.

No hot muggachoc today, friends daughter fell and broke her ankle in two places so is in hospital in another city, ward was full. So many breaking bones, our pavements are lethal.

Had a mad turn yesterday and cleaned oven in preparation of the big day, kinda silly really cause it will be messed up again soon but makes me feel better haha!!

Should have done things today but didn't, tomorrow is another day..............or so they say...........xx

Highlighted

Now that's why I don't go the school staff Xmas dinners!  Thank you for my dinner tonight, although your dinners are always delicious, roast beef is my favourite.  We decided to have roast beef for our Xmas dinner at Daughters last year but.......somehow.......it was wrong Smiley Surprised  Traditional turkey this year at Son's.  DIL went to bingo and won a Xmas dinner hamper so we're all having a free meal. She will only have to buy a few fresh vegetables.  Result.

Katy, soooo scary for you, glad Mum is ok.  

My central heating decided to stop working this morning so I borrowed an oil filled radiator from my daughter, plugged that in and then left home to babysit my Son's three children.  Nice and warm there, no problems with the GC.  TV, X-box and other various devices kept them amused while I read a book. Do you think there is a generation gap thing going on? Smiley Happy While I was there we all agreed that my 13 yr old GS is now taller than I am!

Came home.....it was tropical.......heating had decided to come on and not go off again.  Phoning my heating engineer in the morning.  

My school broke up last Friday, I now just have to do 10 hours work next week and then I'm on holiday until we go back on the 2nd Jan. 

Highlighted

I will be on tomorrow evening with hopefully good news, love to all. xxxx
Highlighted

Thank you so much Katy. I will let you all know tomorrow night how all went and want to say how grateful I am to have friends like you all. xxxx

Highlighted

Meal out was OK. Food was nice: salmon in a crab & prosecco sauce with crushed potatoes and green beans followed by passion fruit cheesecake (mini pudding) & coffee.

Everyone was all dolled up, except me and one of the dinner ladies, who obviously didn't get the message either; she was wearing a scruffy "santa baby" t-shirt. Thank goodness for her as she made me feel less awkward in my "work" purple blouse and purple cardigan and black jeans. Though that was smart and reasonably festive, but everyone else was in dresses or sparkly and/or lacy tops. You'd think, with my experiences in Benchland, I'd  not be the one that was under-dressed?! 😛 Mental note: buy a REAL sparkly top in the post-festive-party-season sales.

The service in the pub was terrible, not helped by the fact that none of us at our school ordered starters but the other school did (we share an exec HT, so it was a joint "do" and we pre-ordered, at our respective schools, weeks ago). It was an hour and a half after we got there that I finally got my meal. Colleague didn't get hers until after we'd all finished our mains because they'd delivered her rump steak to someone else, who'd ordered sirloin, and it had been sent back, so they had to cook her another one! When it came it wasn't cooked as well as she'd asked, but she wasn't going to send it back after waiting so long!

I'm glad I made the effort to go, especially after not making it in to school, but I probably won't bother with the next staff do. There's too many of us when it's both schools, so it gets cliquey and the atmosphere is not so relaxed. 😞 I came home after the meal, glad to don the PJs and sink into Friday night zombie mode (OH goes out on Fridays so I get the TV remote and some *me* time! :)) They were all heading off to a gin bar and then probably off to a club. I'm too old and party-pooperish to want to do that anymore (or ever?!!)

Welsh cakes made yesterday and presents all wrapped. I seem to have bought massive, awkward to wrap presents for everyone this year! I also made some sweets from the left over marzipan, for my neighbour, by coating balls of it in  melted dark chocolate and sticking chopped up dried apricot or a chocolate peanut on the top. Today, I have done the usual Sunday chores and iced the Christmas cake (a whole week before Christmas?! Must be a record!) and will hand deliver the local cards this afternoon. Quite impressed with myself. Trying to make next weekend less of a mad dash as we don't finish school until 1pm on Friday!

Dinner tonight is roast beef, roasties, Yorkshire pudding, roast parsnips, carrot, sprouts followed by something chocolatey - probably chocolate pudding and pears - because I've got some melted chocolate left over from yesterday and the yolk and half the white of an egg from the icing. Waste not, want not?! Dinner will be served at 6:30pm - or *virtually* anytime you want it! 😛

Christmas jumper day, at school tomorrow in aid of our charity, so that's tomorrow evening's outfit for meal out with ex-colleagues sorted?! 

Good luck for tomorrow, Mary, let us know how you get on! 

Highlighted

Hoping all is well tomorrow Mary, fingers and toes crossed for good results, we will all be thinking of you.

Never feel selfish, everyone needs reassurance, advice, help or just someone to listen, big hugs xx

Had a yuck day yesterday, always phone Mum each morning, yesterday her mobile was switched off and she wasn't answering her home phone, phoned at least 20 times.............ended up going along to her house, she was fine, she has problems sleeping at night and had finally fallen asleep around dawn. Such a fright.

My home phone which is really an ornament, decided to pack in, must have been from overuse yesterday, so will buy a cheap one tomorrow.

How was you meal out JCJ? Was food good?

When do your schools come off FF?

What we having for dinner tonight? xx 

Highlighted

Thanks for the lovely reply, I am telling myself all will be well and with all you lovely friends there for me I am feeling stronger about Monday.

I will keep a couple of mince pies and will dish them out Monday evening!! xxxxx

Highlighted

I agree with JCJ Mary, if your doctors were concerned they would have been non committal, not saying they thought it was nothing to worry about. 

Please don't feel you are being selfish... that's what we are all here for.  A bit of fun, a bit of light banter, keeping others abreast (sorry, unintentional pun!) with what we are up to.  But overall to support each other.

Fingers are crossed for you on Monday.  Step away from those mince pies, I want at least one! 

Highlighted

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you're support again and will have all the mince pies eaten very quickly. Love to all. xxxx

Mary

Highlighted

Mary, don't feel bad. I'm glad you contacted us. This is a the place to come for support. We'll all be crossing everything for you. But LISTEN to your doctor and consultant - they wouldn't say it's unlikely to be anything to worry about if they thought it was BC rearing its ugly head again! It's great that you're getting it checked properly to be sure though. Understandably, you will be on the jittery bench. I've put some tea and mince pies and freshly baked Welsh cakes there. Help yourself.

Wishingng you a happy *healthy* Christmas & New Year too! xx

Highlighted

He to all my dear friends.

I have not been on for a long time but have always popped in to see how everyone is doing when I can.

The multiple sclerosis has been behaving and I am taking the injections 3 times a week to try and continue keeping it at bay, a bit more lame but trying. x

I have discovered a new something, thickness/lump so I went to the g.p who is not overly concerned ut would like me to be seen by the consultant which I did on Thursday and have an ultrasound on Monday morning.

The consultant said I am not worried Mary, think it is a cyst but we will get it checked with ultrasound.

I feel so bad, its as though I am only contacting you for selfish reasons. I was wishing to say Happy, Holy and Healthy Christmas and New Year to you all!! 

I have never forgotten how wonderful and caring you all were when I had my b.c in 2016. the girls in school had a fundraiser donating all monies raised to Breast Cancer Care as you were so kind to me.

I will let you all know Monday night how everything goes.

Mary xxxxxx

Highlighted

Braved it to the staff meal as the roads were clear, but I left the "youngsters" to their pub crawl and was back home before 9:30. I was quite the hero. Everyone was asking if I was alright. I think they  may have thought my altercation with the bus was more serious than it actually was. I was glad to get home before the roads re-freeze and settle in, put my PJs on and shut the world out. 

Tomorrow I shall make the Welsh cakes and wrap some presents. If it's not icy, I might deliver the local cards this weekend too; one less thing to do next weekend!

Highlighted

Glad you are ok, JCJ.  A similar thing happenened to me a few years ago. I didn't want to reverse, the car just slid back down the hill, fortunately no other traffic and I ended up with the rear end in the hedge. It's very very scary!  Katy's right,  guilt in the lake Smiley Happy the weather is not your fault.

I staggered into school tonight to find everyone else had gone. so I just cleaned the toilets emptied the bins and left,(with the leftover bananas and satsumas....well, the won't last a fortnight!).  Having Monday off while car is in the garage and then 10 hours work to do over four days.  School is tidy so that will help!

Highlighted

Oh good grief, that sounds horrendous and so scary, very glad you are ok, what a fright though

Don't whatever you do "feel guilty" just be happy you arrived home safely. Guilt to be thrown in the lake.........no guilt allowed in Benchland ever............

Well am on the "treated myself" bench, bought my xmas present from me to me hahaha, it was the thing I should have bought when sale was on, price hadn't changed (different one) and dont think it will on this one so am well pleasedSmiley Happy

GS here today, we had a lovely time, laughed and giggled a lot, he truly loves spider/beastie on the floor game (which is really some fluff) we blow it all over and he dissolves into crazy laughter, such funSmiley Happy

Only issue, my toes keep cramping and I have to spring up asap, which you know would be with great difficulty, GS is now copying my movements, which makes me laugh even more.

No assaults took place today!!

Ran into town bought some odds and ends, then takeaway for tea, hurrah xx

Highlighted

Oh good grief! So much for "the last of the severe weather for a while"!! Heard it raining heavily in the night and thought "Oh good. The roads will be fine in the morning!" Got up. Opened the curtains. White over!! ARGGH! Don't panic. It'll be just this road.

Drove down the hill and round the block to approach the hill up a road that's usually gritted because it's the bus route. It wasn't gritted. Mile long sheet of ice! Ok. Take it steady, don't stop and you'll make it up. Doing fine until I got to the steepest part. Parked car in my way. Car coming other way. Had to stop. Couldn't restart. Lots of engine revving and wheel spinning later, I decide to stick my hazards on and sit tight for a bit to gather my wits. Bus comes up behind and mounts opposite pavement to try to get past me. Draws level and gets stuck! We're now completely blocking the road and there's a queue of cars behind and in front. I can't pull forward, so I try and reverse out of the way. On a steep icy road. Between a bus and a parked car! The inevitable happened and I scraped the back wheel arch on the back of the bus. 😞 But I got past and managed to pull in - sliding backwards - and get off the road. Felt a proper pathetic fool, but I sat and watched the bus get going, slew across the road and crunch into the parked car!! Road blocked again. I saw 2 other Fiestas come up and do exactly what I did! Which made me feel a bit less of an eejit. Also a driving school car. He managed to turn round and slide back down.

I sat in the car, too scared to try and drive it ANYWHERE and too scared to get out and risk falling over! The police arrived and the bus rescue vehicle and they closed the road and extricated the bus. I was getting cold so I remembered my walking boots in the boot of my car ready for just such an eventuality. I teetered around to get them. Managed to swap footwear without falling over. Quite a feat in itself! And very carefully tottered the few hundred yards back dwn the hill to home. Slipped several times but managed not to fall over. Phew! Kettle on. Calm down.

I contacted school, said I'd be in later, but my teacher has ordered me not to bother trying to get there. The road outside school is a sheet of ice too. They're rehearsing all day anyway. It feels really odd to be at home again. 3rd time this week! I know I should sit back, relax and enjoy it but I can't. I feel guilty.

Christmas cards written. May attempt to post them when I go to retrieve my car. Depends how slippery the pavements are. Not sure I'll be going to the staff meal tonight either, as it's forecast to freeze again. Time to start wrapping some presents maybe.

What a very odd week!

Highlighted

Gosh! Didn't realise you needed danger money to look after GC! Or one of those padded helmets that boxers wear? 😄

Swimming was a much better temperature tonight, but it was really strange because I got into a completely empty pool and had it all to myself for the first 20 minutes. It felt like I shouldn't be there! No having to dodge the dawdlers though! The two ladies who swim in the fast lane joined me for half an hour or so, then I was on my own again for the last 5 minutes. Only 50 lengths left. Still on target for next week. 

It snowed again overnight so our road was horrible this morning, and the road outside school, but all the busier roads were clear. All melted tonight. Let's hope that's the last of the severe weather for a while.

Highlighted

Oh, really!  Of course behaviour management is one of your strengths.....look how you manage Katy and I at Norecambe.  We'd be totally out of control without you Smiley Happy   Glad it went well for the 10 minutes she was there!  Nice to have that on record now.

Also been hit in the eye during a game with my GD, it flippin' hurts doesn't it?

I'm starting to think about putting up Xmas decorations this weekend.  My usual way won't work.......Purdie and tinsel is not a good idea, my two Xmas trees should be ok, only about a foot high and made of wood.  Usual hanging bells on the mantlepiece.......just no....... some inventiveness needed here I think. 

Event on at school tonight, it was chaos trying to clean up whilst they were trying to get ready but we all managed it.  I gave ST a very polite "stern" talking to about making sure all the fairy lights were turned off.  I had a friend in the London Fire Brigade and he told horror stories about fires caused by fairy lights and I've had a "thing" about them ever since. Please everyone, if you have them, turn them off when you go to bed or are out.

I have managed to catch a cold (thanks GD!) not feeling too bad but runny nose, sneezing, bunged up, woolly headed.  I have the emergency antibiotics and steroids in the cupboard in case but so far all I've had is two paracetamol. 

Highlighted

Hurrah for youSmiley Happy, soooooooooo glad things went well for you, laughed out loud regarding your strengths, what a difference a year makes...............just so pleased for you.

Today we had snow, (been and gone) pavements are lethal though, hopefully will be better tomorrow, ducks still can still only skate down waterway.

Up here we can only have free flu jabs in docs, you can go to certain chemists but even though you are an NHS patient and qualify you still have to pay, will phone tomorrow morning to see whats happening.

Had GS today he's managed to bash me twice, once full force back header right into my cheekbone and the other my eye, ouch, honestly if he had hit my nose I think it would have been broken, ouchy. It was purely accidental, will just have to make sure I am well out of the way when he's playing fire trucks etc. He's making me sing stupid songs and make lots of crazy car noises at the moment, he gets so excited and you know how badly I sing................

House is not turning into a grotto, YD likes Xmas Tree as it is, woo hoo!! xx

Highlighted

Came out of my observation well. Observer turned up 20 minutes late, for a half hour session, profusely apologetic: she had "put the wrong time" in her diary - she was the one who wrote the *****y timetable! Pathetic! Having missed most of my best bits, she claimed the ten minutes she saw was enough to grade me as a "strong good". Well, after messing up so badly herself, she could hardly criticise me?

I'm afraid I may have "blotted my copy book" though, because I laughed out loud when she told me one of my greatest strengths was my behaviour management! Oh the irony?!! Anyway this "good" is recorded, in writing, on my performance management file. So onward and upward! 🙂

Highlighted

I'm with JCJ there... go to your local chemist and get a flu jab, that's what I did,  No appt., no waiting , just walked in said "I'd like a flu jab,please". Filled in a form and was out again in 10 minutes!  Purdie is not having a Santa visit, my family do not buy presents for our pets.  Not to say others shouldn't, just we don't,

I was really glad it was only the battery and not something else that might have been horrendously expensive.  Think I got off lightly and I now have a four year guarantee!  New tyres are an expense that I plan for, I am not driving on icy roads with anything less than good tyres.  Just a little bit late getting them fitted this year!

Another snow day? Lucky you.  Glad the roads wern;t as bad as you feared.  I'm the same, anyone so much as mentions ice I go into panic mode.  Good luck for your observation.

I've accidently made a mess in the office at school today.  Dregs of tea/coffee in the bins....a hole in the bin liner.....equals a line of tea/coffee stain on the floor of the offices as I carried the bin liner out to the bin!  OMG!

I texted ST and apologised, she replied "Don't worry" but she hasn't seen it yet!  I'm off to school early tomorrow, digging out the carpet cleaner and just hope it looks better afterwards. I couldn't do it tonight as I had other plans and couldn't stay late.  Overtime will be done tomorrow but hey ho, it's those swings and roundabouts.

Tomorrow forecast to be 10 degrees. I'll take that

Highlighted

PS forgot to say, FF, a new battery feels like a huge expense, but if it's a good one it will last years and you'll have no more starting problems! 🙂 Could've been something far trickier to fix. My battery died on me in Sainsbury's carpark, several years ago now. Car full of food, including frozen stuff, and it was going nowhere! The good old breakdown company (not the one that gets confused with Alcoholics Anonymous - the other big one!) came and rescued me. Fitted a new battery on the spot and it's been fine (grabs wooden arm of chair) ever since. 

kTC, NHS are struggling for cash, probably even more so in Scotland where you ALL have free prescriptions? Maybe that's why it's so hard to get an appointment? 😞 Some of our pharmacies offer flu jabs, eg "footwear" could you get one there? 

Highlighted

Another snow day today! One benefit of the school being at the back of beyond? Ungritted ice rinks - sorry, "roads" - mean access to the school was almost impossible today. Last night we were first told it would be open today, then later, we got another message to say exec. HT had driven to the school and declared the whole village unsafe! Another unexpected lie in. 😄 makes up for breaking up so late. I've managed to get some Christmas chores done so the last 2 weekends won't be so manic.

Christmas cake marzipanned today - possibly the earliest it's ever been done! Presents for kids in my class wrapped and their cards written. Lots more cards made. 

Supermarket shop done. Just got to hide the savoury nibbles and chocs away so I don't eat them before the big day(s).!! All that's left to buy is the turkey (already ordered), the fresh fruit &veg and the cream - all from farm shop on Christmas Eve Eve! Anything I've not got that can't either be bought at that farm shop or in the village, we'll do without!

I have been dreading driving down our road all day, watching cars getting stuck if they had to stop when coming up the road. I walked to a little store that's about 200 yards from our house, yesterday, and it seemed like miles because the packed snow was so slippery. Crossing the roads were the worst part because the icy snow had been polished smooth by the cars!  In the end driving was, as usual, nothing like as bad as I feared. WHY do I work myself up so much about these things? All the main roads were clear. Supermarket carpark was slushy but not too slippery and outside the store was completely clear. It was starting to rain as we drove back, and it's forecast to freeze again tonight but not as bad as last night. Fingers crossed it won't be too slippery in the morning.

I've got an observation in the morning. That'll be great fun? Christmas Fayre prep last Thursday & Friday, the excitement of the Fayre itself and then 2 snow days, so the kids have done no real work for a week. I hope they take that into account when I'm judged on their attitude to learning!! 😐

We were supposed to have the FIRST rehearsal for the Christmas performance - next Wednesday! - on Monday, but, obviously, that didn't happen. I suspect we'll be mostly rehearsing for the next 5 school days??!! The parents have already ordered their tickets! 

Highlighted

Oh dear FF, suppose car needs a xmas gift too?? Obviously didn't want to be left out of the celebrations.

Is Purdie having a Santa visit? Have you gone mad and bought lots of treats?

Fingers crossed your animals etc find a new home, JCJ.

Have been chasing my tail today, faffed about in the morning then went into town, seemed to be wandering around for ages, just as I was coming home it started to rain and pavements turned into ice rinks, scary stuff!!

Only a few yards and safely home, can't even think what it will be like tomorrow. Waterway is still frozen, that's been 4 days now.................no snow, just superly frosty.

GD phoned me and told me two secrets today, am laughing just thinking about them, what's she like??

They won't stay secret for long as she will tell her Mum, Dad, even little brother haha.

Wait till you hear this, have forgotten about flu jab AGAIN so after speaking to friend yesterday (she made me promise) phoned docs, lady said oh hum aah, can you phone back nearer the end of the week as there are no clinics just now??? Ok we can't get any normal doc appts cause they are always fully booked, and now there are no clinics and at least a 30 week wait for hospital appts, what's going on???? xx

Highlighted

Purdie discovered last night that she can jump onto the kitchen shelf and play with the things I keep up there!  Nooo!  A favourite photo got knocked off.......About a 4'6" drop, that survived....ok.  I keep my rings up there too when I'm not wearing them and they disappeared, Found the cheap imitation diamond quite quickly but where is my expensive sapphire and diamond one?  That took longer to find but they're both in a very safe, kitten proof, place now.

I've been thinking about starting to wrap the presents I've got.......but it's not going to be easy, Purdie is going to want to help.  I'm putting it off.

Managed to get the car started this morning and took it to the Garage, they tested the battery and it was dying.  They put a new one in and I'm good to go, although a few (a lot!) pounds poorer. As the car is booked in next week for new tyres, it seems I will be spending more on the car this Xmas than the family Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

As they're in aid of this wonderful charity, I suppose it's OK to say I've got these listings going on Mr Futon's site, if anyone's interested. Things that didn't sell on Saturday (pity the monkey went, I'd have happily kept him!) and I don't want to store until next Christmas Fair. 

Giraffe

Lion

Pig

Cushion

Highlighted

Gosh 6 inches?? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, we are very cold but no snow.

Our tree is up too, YD does it, I just hand her the baubles etc, she really makes it look beautiful. I unfortunately cannot do the same, no creative talent whatsoeverSmiley Frustrated

Really good you don't have to worry about driving tonight, would just make do and not even venture out.

Dinner was lovely, thank youSmiley Happy

Does that mean you are out Fri and Mon now?

Hope your car is fine FF.

I know nothing about tablets so cannot help in anyway, only know GD had an inexpensive one that took hours to download things...............

Spent a long time wrapping gifts yesterday, just can't pop them in gift bags, old fashioned I know haha.

Have one thing to wrap now, unless YD decides she wants gifts, she is the worst person in the world to buy for, have been asking her for weeks if there is anything she wants (usually give her pennies), she hums and dithers about, then says no can't think of anything..........thing is she loves opening presents..........

May not have tradional prawn cocktail this year, have been thinking about mussels, yum yum, we all love themSmiley Happy

Been out for muggachoc and a look around shops nearby, bought a couple of things I forgot to get yesterday, even with list xx

Highlighted

Tree up. Decs up (except for front door wreath - I'll leave that until it 's a bit less frosty!) 6" of snow removed from my car and the drive. Horrible icy patches left on the drive, which seemed to get worse the more I tried to remove them, and the temperatures are set to plummet as soon as the sun does down. Beautiful blue sky and sunshine at the moment. -10° forecast! 

Tonight's meal has been cancelled and re-booked for next Monday, which is a relief. Our road is slushy at the moment but will soon be icy again. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to walk to the local shop for bread and milk and an onion for tonight's pork stir fry. It may not happen. We may just have to make do!

Highlighted

Thanks JCJ, I've replied. Thanks also for the dinner, delicious as always.  School closed? Day off? Lucky you!

Seriously though, I hope they get the roads safe enough for everyone to drive on.  I watched the news and it didn't look good.

Rain, rain, rain and more rain down here, thank goodness. It's caused a few minor floods but nothing to bother anyone really.  Just gives the car tyres a wash!  Taking my car to the garage tomorrow, if it will start!  It has had difficulty starting on and off for a couple off weeks but Saturday I went out and it had trouble starting every time.  Something is not right so I need to get it looked at pronto. 

Highlighted

I'm just about to DM you about your tablet question, FF!

Highlighted

Didn't even notice the crocodiles error, KTC! Perhaps we'll be having crocoburgers as well as alliburgers at the celebrations?

I'll have you know *I* don't drop litter, in Benchland or anywhere (brushing mince pie crumbs off chest) Are you sure they weren't "Christmas decorations" made by children? You should see some of the sh** they were trying to sell as part of the "House Enterprise Challenge". Made my knitted stuff look so much better next to that!! 😛

Heavy snow over night, 4" settled by this morning and it's carried on snowing all day. I've not braved it out of the door - too scared of falling on my a***!  Decided to use the time I'd normally go for a walk to tidy a bit, write the Christmas card "round robin" ( not done one for 5 years, it seems!) and maybe get the tree & decs up. I normally do that on 11th, was going to do it tomorrow, after school, but an ex colleague has arranged for 4 of us to go out for a meal (to our usual steak night pub, but for the Festive menu! 🙂 ) I took much longer composing the letter than I thought, messing with photos, reading past missives etc,  so I've been dashing about trying to get decs sorted and dinner at the same time (roast lamb, roasties, Yorkshires, carrots, sprouts,, crispy kale & gravy, followed by blackberry & apple crumble and custard, since you asked!) 

Weather forecast is for freezing temperatures over night, meaning the roads will be hideous tomorrow so I have been extremely anxious about driving to work. Watching the School Closures coming up on Twitter - lots of them, but not ours 😞 Then I get a text from colleague. We're closed!! Yeh!! Can sit down, stop chasing around like a loon, and put up the decs at my leisure tomorrow - on 11th - as per tradition. Win. Win.

Hopefully, by 8pm tomorrow, the roads will be clear enough for me to get to the pub for the meal. Fingers crossed. I'm planning the last pre Christmas supermarket shop on Tuesday (and dinner in café, of course!) and it's our staff Christmas shindig on Friday at a Beefeater (other steak pubs are available) in nearby town, so once the kids have had 2 days to play in it, and we've all admired how pretty it is, I need to snow to b***** off pretty quickly. As I say, I hate driving - and, nowadays, even walking - in it! Used to love a snowy walk. Too much of a nervous wreck about falling these days. 😞 Will definitely be on the FB bench next weekend? 😄

Highlighted

Ooh that's really good JCJSmiley Happy!!

Bet songs were twirling around your head all night longSmiley Frustrated

FF, you are on a roll................

Am going to put lights in all the trees, will be borrowing broomstick for the tallest trees, lalala soooooo pretty.

Benchland is sooooooooooo tidy. Did notice the shed had been a bit messy?? All that food cakes etc.

Have been looking through marbles and have found a couple that maybe mine.............

Noticed in my earlier post I was talking about crocodiles, WHAT???

Told you my marbles had gone.

Ali-sausages and freshly baked rolls are now in sparkly shed, yum yum.

What is for dinner tonight please?

Do you now have snow??

We are superly cold -9, brrrrrrrrrrr, waterway completely frozen so ducks are now walking/skating xx

Highlighted

Glad your fayre went well JCJ.  That's a good amount of money raised for good causes. The roll sounds yummy and a free cuppatea and mince pie!   Thinking of buying myself a tablet for Xmas , I have remembered that you said Samsung at Norecambe. So I have looked at them, £100 to £600, any other advice would be welcome.

I've had a good clean up around Benchland today, prior to putting up the decorations. Ladies, would you please put your rubbish in the bins, tut tut. Three bin liners filled!  Anything I thought might be lost property I have put in the shed, many marbles of different colours.  Katy go and have a look, some of them might be yours. Tomorrow I will be putting up the decorations, any help appreciated.

The alligators are getting quite large, so the alliburgers for JCJ's reception will be yummy.  I wrangled a couple while I was there and they're in the freezer ready for the celebration.

Took my vouchers off to the store and couldn't find anything clotheswise that I liked enough to buy so I went to the kitchenware part looked around and bought (got for free!) 10 teaspoons Smiley Happy  Where do teaspoons go?  I used to have teaspoons but they seem to disappear........

No snow here, but it's cold.  Supposed to be warmer tomorrow but we have a weather warning for wind. I'm not going out.  Staying on the reading bench.

Highlighted

Fayre went well. Turkey, stuffing & cranberry roll was delicious. Free cupatea and mince pie also very acceptable! 🙂 

There were lots of people there and a lovely atmosphere, though I did feel a bit bah humbug after 3 hours sitting too close to the loud CD player playing naff Christmas music on loop (it went right round at least 5 times.....arggghh!) and a screaming, overtired toddler on the next stall. I made £42.45 selling my knitted stuff and some plum jam and some surplus-to-requirements school books. £21 to school and £21 to Macmillan Cancer Care. Not bad.

On the kn****ed bench now. Snzzzzzzzzzzzz

Highlighted

Woo hoo FF, you did itSmiley Happy!! Soooooooooo organised haha!!

What colour is your ballgown?

Hope Fayre went well JCJ and you raised lots of pennies.

Very cold here, no snow, ED is off on an adventure and it's snowing there, brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Was very organised this morning, texted my cousin to wish her Happy Birthday, had forgotten to post her card, so apologised and blah blahed............she sent me a text back saying her birthday is 2 days from nowSmiley Embarassed, oops..........

Soooooooooo can I please have some help finding my missing marbles?? think the crocodiles have eaten them xx

Highlighted

Frantically busy getting everything ready for tomorrow. Then collapsed in front of tele and made 4 more Christmas cards (WHY does predictive text always think I'm trying to type "Christening" instead of "Christmas". I almost never write "Christening"!! 😞 - though now I've just typed it twice in one sentence, thus reinforcing the idea that I would want that word? Aaarggh!!)

The snow didn't really happen. We just had a sprinkling this morning and another light dusting this evening, but it's stayed frozen all day. My walk for my Friday night chippy treat was extremely treacherous! Packed icy snow and patches of Black ice! I was relieved to get home unscathed!  There's heavy snow forecast for Sunday - an amber Met Office warning, no less! My nephew says the Met Have predicted 100% chance of snow where he lives - (a bit further North than me). So it looks like the Fayre will go ahead, but maybe we'll get that snow day on Monday - give me chance to do some Christmas prep? After all, if FF is ready already, I should get a riddle on?!

Highlighted

Forgot to say that I'm digging out my ballgown and adding a few embellishments to it. More sequins and crystals.  Vicky Gill from Strictly is advising me Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Yes, I did get my City trip. The poorly members of the family recovered enough for it go ahead,  So now I've got all that I needed.  Tried very hard to lose Son (both Daughter and DIL tried to take him away) so I could buy his present but he knew what shop I was in and he's probably guessed!  But he'll be pleased anyway!

I'M DONE!  December 8th and I've finished the Xmas shopping....it's got be a record Smiley Happy 

Now I only need to write two cards, post them and wrap everything up.  Last year I was wrapping the Boxing Day "silly" pressies on the morning of Boxing Day before I went to Son's house.  Perhaps I can do better than that this year. 

Ooooh, it's freezing down here, we've had a little bit of sleet, a little bit of hail. Nothing much.  Forecast to get rather windy on Sunday.  Have to go out tomorrow, got a £10 voucher for local store so I might as well get something a bit more cheaply and I need a few odds and ends.  Sunday I'll hibernate.  

Highlighted

It's fine here, just chilly, will have to wait and see??

Hopefully your Fayre will go ahead, did see that snow is forecast in your area.

You are doing well with your swim, seems to have been quick, prob not for you though haha!!

Looking forward to party, glitterberry juice in full flow. Are we dressing up? Ballgowns perhaps we have not been fancy for ages............

Did you manage your shop FF?

Have GS just now, he's busy munching cornflakes, so I can post haha. Into town later, then woo hoo it's the weekend xx

Highlighted

PS did you get your city trip, FF? Or are you internet shopping?

Highlighted

Good grief! I know what a lobster feels like now!  Despite the low external  temperature and the forecast overnight heavy snow, the water temperature "around Guernsey" tonight was ridiculously high. It was like swimming through soup. Uphill. The two speed swimmers gave up after 20 minutes and got out; one said it was like swimming through mud. I had no idea swimming in warmer water would be so difficult - I'd always assumed it was harder when it was colder. Apparently, they have boiler problems. I hope they fix them before next week. Only managed 56 lengths, but I feel like I swam at least double that. Perhaps all that tinsel and the fairy lights were weighing me down too? ::p Should still finish in 2 weeks ( providing the pool doesn't have to close!)  as there's only 116 lengths left to swim. Party in Vazon at about 9pm on 21st. Don't know what the local delicacies in Guernsey are. Will have to do some research. They're more like the French there aren't they?

For once I'm hoping the forecast snow doesn't come and force them to close the school. A snow day would be nice, but it's the Christmas Fair on Saturday and I'd rather it wasn't cancelled/postponed! I hate driving in snow though, so fingers crossed it's either none at all or enough to close the school.

Highlighted

I knew you were going to overdo it Katy....naughty bench for you indeed Smiley Wink But I must admit if I'd been in your position I'd probably have done the same. We all think we're better than we are and push it!  

If Docs can get the  cannula in, why have any other procedures?  Stay away from anything else until it is the last resort is my advice.....but what do I know?! 

Batten down your  hatches well, forecast for your neck of the woods is not good.  Seems that I'll be ok, stormwise but the temperature is set to plummet!

These funny gifts are so much more trouble than normal gifts......someone says what they want and I buy it for them, no problem and then I've got to think of something funny.  Just typing that has shown me the reason I have difficulty.......I have to think!. 

Plans for City shopping tomorrow are dissolving fast. Illness amongst the family is taking its toll.  I'm fine and will be gutted if we don't go but it seems unlikely.  I'll have to make other plans or Internet shop and hope like crazy that items will be delivered in time.

Highlighted

Yes, I did overdo things, so on the "bad behaviour" bench for me............

Wanted to get everything sorted in the 1 day because would have been even more tired if things had gone over two, read your posts last night but brain was just too mushy to reply haha.

Nurse suggested I have a sub cut (tummy) but really don't want that, heard different stories positive and neg just don't fancy it at allSmiley Frustratedif the docs can do it without a prob???

haha funny gifts indeed, like them tee hee.

Enjoy your tournament JCJ, impress them with your skills, will never forget you carrying me down the escalator.............strong woman or what???

Am away to baton/batten down the hatches, a storm is meant to be a comin.............xx

Highlighted

A yard (metre?) of Jaffa cakes. That was the silly present YD & I both bought in case ES turned up over Christmas. He didn't. Couldn't post them. Took them into school staffroom where they were swiftly despatched!

Made ES's birthday card and 5 Christmas cards last night. 14 down.....

Got to help take Y6 to an indoor athletics tournament this morning. Better do my warm up exercises? Going to wow everyone with my prowess with a foam javelin and the extraordinary distance of my standing long jump (not likely! - not without the Tenna lady!! 😱)

Highlighted

Silly pressies under a fiver... We do a similar thing at our Christmas eve party for friends - we buy a gift for the opposite sex for under a fiver and then everyone picks a parcel out of the bag. One year all the girls chose the same things as their gift for a bloke -washing up liquid, rubber gloves, and a dishcloth.....

Highlighted

I have bought more!  They are pressies for our Boxing Day tradition of exchanging "silly" presents that cost less than a fiver.  It's a gift pack of 24 shortbread biscuits with milk and white chocolate dips.  So basically a packet of biscuits.  That now counts as "silly" as we've done all the obvious things and it's now getting more and more difficult to be "silly" under a fiver.  Both Daughter and I have suggested  that we stop doing it but Son won't countenance it as it is a "tradition"!  So we continue.......

Definitely claim the overtime JCJ.  Well done you for saying no, but then there are times to relent and say yes..

I thought about doing my two Xmas cards tonight but I seem to be in Benchland instead and I don't feel like doing them now Smiley Happy maybe tomorrow.......must not miss the last posting date this yearSmiley Embarassed

And just to gloat, I've got one week and 3 days left at school............... (You'll get your own back next term)!

Katy? hope you haven't overdone things.

Highlighted

What she said, Katy, take it steady.

I'm very intrigued, FF. £4 from supermarket? You all want one? Go on, spoil yourselves. Buy two more. 🙂

Got asked to cover the After School Club again yesterday because the usual supervisor was off sick. I initially did say no (well done me!) but on hearing that the other person who sometimes covers was very busy, but prepared to do it if I couldn't, I decided to do it. (Not least because one of the worst behaved bous was excluded from school yesterday and will be back today and she will do After School Club tonight if usual colleague not back!) The kids were hard work - well 2 of the 5, the others were fine. I had to get very cross and threaten to tell their mothers to find somewhere else for them to go between school and parents' work finishing. Then they settled down and we had quite a nice time. But it seems such a long 2 hours! Overtime will be claimed! 🙂

9 Christmas cards and 1 of the 2 December birthday cards now made. I'll make cards until I run out of time and everyone else will get  bought (local Hospice or BCC) one. Cards to send list made. Posters printed for my stall on Saturday. Getting there. Can't believe we've still got 3 weeks (ok, 2 weeks, 4 days) at school! 😞

Highlighted

Whoa, Katy rein in the agenda for tomorrow.  Don't try to do too much too soon.   Glad today went ok (except for cannula) and that you don't feel too bad tonight.  Pace yourself.

Went to school tonight, Oh.... the glitter's been out, all over all the floors.  I couldn't give a monkeys, it will either hoover up or it will just move around or stick in the carpets for many years.  I don't care any more, I really don't.  Pine needles are already dropping from the Xmas trees.  I don't care, I've obviously undergone a personality transplant in the last few months Smiley Happy

Son over tomorrow, Daughter will probably call in too, she needs to show me something SIL wants on e-bay. 

Bought an item in local supermarket tonight, thinking pressie for GD, then thought pressie for Daughter, then thought might actually keep it for myself.  Only £4 so cheap but where's it going?  Who's having it? Smiley Frustrated  Or do I buy two more and we'll all have one?  Decisions, decisions!

Looked at the Xmas card display tonight  I only have two to send but vouchers have to be put in cards. Cards with kittens on them seemed an obvious choice and they were for a Charity to boot... but they were on the top shelf....I couldn't reach.  The much taller lady next to me also looking at cards, got them down for me. 

Highlighted

You are really doing well FF, slow starter but super speedy when you do startSmiley Happy!!

Agree JCJ's dinners are great, much better than mineSmiley Happy

Arrived 1 hour late (transport) canula a mess again, doctor called, managed it in 4 hours woo hoo.

Transport actually waiting for me, so that was fantastically brilliantSmiley Happy

Don't feel sooooooo dopey this time which is good as last time could hardly walk haha, feel tired and a little sick but all ok, it's done!!

Have loads to do tomorrow, will have to get to supermarket as things are running low, into town then up to Mum's, will see how things go, may do supermarket early, and if too tired do the rest on Wed.

Have been really cold today, had to ask for a blanket in hospital, what am I like??? haha xx

Highlighted

Dinner very yummy, thank you JCJ, I do so enjoy my Sunday dinners with you. 

Oh , just baked mince pies and cream....is there anything better? 

Son is on holiday for the next two weeks so he's said he will come over on Tuesday to do a little job for me.  I could do it myself but why would I when I can get him to do it for me? Lazy? Moi? 

Thursday there are plans for Son, Daughter and me to go to local City for Xmas shopping. I will need to lose Son at some point so I can nip into the shop where I will buy his present. Daughter will take him off somewhere and we can meet up later. 

Maybe your lido will fix your back Katy, let's hope that it fixes everything it's supposed to and any extra painful parts.  Glad you are feeling better.