62197members
327452posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

A new hoover!! Yay!! Fatten up the alligators. Blow up the balloons. Party time. That should make your life easier. And we all love a new "toy".

Much colder here - had to scrape the car a couple of times this week, but no snow here.. .. Yet.

Hope you're feeling better Katy. 

Going to brave the elements and go to the farm shop for fruit and veggies later, if I can get off the CBA bench. We'll probably have lunch there. There's an incentive?!

Community Champion

Nope, not freezing, colder but I still haven't had to zip up the coat! Or put a scarf on!  I had two for Xmas waiting to use them.....

Sorry you're feeling rough Katy, hope you feel better tomorrow.

Been taking it easy at work, you're right JCJ, no one will notice.  They have however this week provided me with a new hoover (I reported the last one broken in Oct.). It is sooooo good that I have nearly eradicated all the glitter that has been stuck in the carpets for years.   And the fact that I'm happy about a new hoover just shows how sad my life has become Smiley Sad

Community Champion

Am sorry have been on the "feeling yuck" bench, stomach bug that is being nasty, grrrrrrrrrrrrSmiley Frustrated

Hopefully feel better tomorrow and post something interesting then?????????? or not haha xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Not sure whether to be pleased you enjoyed your "mystery" Sunday dinner, FF, or insulted that you didn't recognise it was pork! Smiley Tongue And the crackling worked. Of course it did. Because I didn't even bother to try - just shoved it in the oven and set the timer! It never crackles properly when I Try to do it! I also made proper jam (homemade blackcurrant) roly poly and custard.

Glad your exercises seem to be helping. Keep on with them and be gentle with yourself at work. No-one but you will probably even notice if you have to do things slightly less perfectly!

Half way through January already! How did that happen? Gradually getting used to this part-time malarkey. Wednesdays are good because I no longer have to teach THAT class all afternoon. A child from that class stopped me yesterday, in the corridor,  and told me she wished I was still teaching them because their new "teacher" shouts at them.  I said "Didn't I shout?" (something I was accused of, and heavily criticised for) and she said, "No!" I have to admit I did a little fist pump victory dance inside. A member of staff said today that it's obvious I'm not there in the afternoons and I'm missed. That nearly made me head for the CSL bench!

Just got to train OH to communicate better, so I spend less time just hanging about waiting to see what he wants to do/where he needs taking to/bringing back from etc.

His car is full of **** from the garage to take to the tip. Then the car wouldn't start because it's been sat for months unused. (I don't like driving it because a) it's much bigger than my car and b) OH feels he needs to tell me how to drive it and gets so much more anxious, so he makes me nervous and therefore a worse driver)  Also it was covered in mould because he left damp towels in there.  I doused everything in white vinegar (where I could get at because it's still full of stuff for the tip) to get rid of the mould and the boyfriend of the teacher I work with kindly came to help us start it. Took it for a long run yesterday (and understood why he had opened the window wide - it absolutely stank of vinegar AND mould! Smiley Sad

I'm just off to the tip now. Gas mask on. Then I'm going to thoroughly clean the car - and install an air freshener!!

You still living in a mad house, Katy? Smiley Happy 

Community Champion

Thank you for my Sunday dinner JCJ, not sure what it was but I enjoyed it .

Back is improving, perhps the exercises are doing good.  I'll keep on with them.

Rainy, miserable and mild down here at the moment but tomorrow apparently set to to be freezing.  We will see.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Glad you have your exercises now FF, hopefully things will improve.

Bargains, bargains indeedSmiley Happy

If OH can manage things? What would carer be doing? Perhaps new tabs will keep things at bay, fingers crossed.

We didn't get up to Nursery, YD felt yuck so appt cancelled and new one arranged. GS goes there so we know that it's really good. Baby would be there when he is around 1 and only for 2 days per week.

ED's new baby will also be there same days, haha. 2 weeks to go now........

Really cold here today, it's the dampness that makes it feel that way, brrrrrrrrrrr.

Had a house full this afternoon, so am now contemplating, takeaway, not sure yet.............may well go with the easy option. xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Bargains indeed, FF,  although I can top the calendar for £1. My 2019 calendar -month to a page, room to write on each day, lovely photos of endangered animals - cost just 50p in the local hospice shop, including an humongous envelope (I did give them £1 for it, as it was such a bargain, and for a good cause though, so I guess we are "even"!)

Also picked up a super bargain cotton polo (turtle) neck jumper in EWM outlet at the garden centre where we stopped for lunch after OH's hospital appointment. Originally £19, reduced to £10, then £8. It's actually a man's one but I don't care because it is a lovely colour and is likely to be longer than women's jumpers tend to be. I'm having that!! Take it to the till and she says it is £5!! She was as surprised as I was. Smiley Happy  Marvellous! Shame they didn't have it it any other colours in my size!

OH's consultant appointment went OK: next one booked for just 4 months away  though  so I guess that's a sign that things are likely to deteriorate quicker now. 😢 New tablet prescribed. Chewing gum suggested to help with the involuntary drooling and jaw tremor. I was a bit taken aback when Dr asked if we had any carers coming to the house, especially when he said "not yet" in response to our negative reply.  Oh dear! 

Hope the nursery school met your exacting standards  KTC Smiley Very Happy,  no, seriously, I hope it was lovely and GS will be happy there. When does he start? Smiley Tongue

Right. I'm off to get my chippies. Smiley Happy 

Community Champion

Physio went well, a detailed history taken....seems that maybe the back op. in 2000, although it fixed the problem at the time, has now resulted in the arthritis.  But, I'll take that.... now is nothing compared to back then.  I have 5 exercises to do twice a day.  

One of them says locate your coughing muscle. That is so easy as I have coughed for Britain over the last ten days, no cold, just a cough, wakes me up at night and has resulted in the said muscles being strained and extremely painful.  It hurts to cough and I can't stop!  As a result there is just no way I can do that exercise,  So, I'm doing the 4 exercises.

I'm staggering through work, keep having to sit down and rest, Probably no one will notice...... 

Up to town today, collected prescription, went to library. Poppd into charity shop........two books and one pair of trousers later....£3. Result.  Off to market, 2019 calendar...£1.  Those are my bargains for the day.

Community Champion

Hahahaha JCJSmiley Happy

Not a video appt but an appt of them videoing me..............that's why I'm embarrassed...........

Walk happily out door, freedom, woo hoo!!

Went up to Mum's today, she was looking superly tired but was in good spirits, that's the main thing. There was a ton of paperwork on her table, so flicked through and managed to get things sorted so was well pleased.

We are visiting a nursery school tomorrow, children have to be registered extremely early nowadays.......

Ate a whole bar of chocolate tonight, yumyum xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Hope physio has helped, FF, and I'm glad it's improving. Take it steady. 

Video appointment, Katy?? Are you mortified because it's a video appointment or because of what it's for? I've heard mention that doctors were going to make more use of technology to save people having to travel needlessly. It saves the hassle of schlepping to hospital, and you still get to see the doc and show her/him any symptoms. Most appointments just end in the doc reassuring that everything is fine,  writing a prescription or making a referral anyway. Though, I think I'd find it  weird and awkward doing it the first time!! Something else to get used to?!

I'm finding it really strange walking out of school at lunchtime. That's going to take some getting used to too!

Better go. Got to scrape the ice off the car Smiley Sad

Community Champion

Hope physio went well, FF, and you reap the benefitsSmiley Happy well, makes life a little easier..........

Trousers are going back tomorrow, know they would have just sat in wardrobe.

Also hope you managed fine today JCJ, a part, part timer, you will def enjoySmiley Happy

Thank you once again for dinner, love roast beef but rarely have it.

ED had some Braxton Hicks last night, she has 3 weeks to go, time is passing quickly now.

A letter arrived from hospital this morning, it's my video appt......................am mortifiedSmiley Embarassed

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Embarassed

Also phoned about lido appt, so all done and dusted.

what did happen with the tinsel??? Too much glitterberry methinks..........

Remember if OH is stroppy, do lots of la la las in your head JCJ.

Have now managed to purchase some sale items, one arrived tonight, am superly pleased, remote control car for GS's birthday next month, paid a fifth of actual price, fab bargain xx

Community Champion

Hmm, hadn't thought to turn it on its head like that but I'm now inclined to think you may be right.  I've been mooching about the internet looking for similar scenarios and it it seems to be that providing your medical records is the quickest way to being shown the door!  

So now I'm going to refuse any access and just suggest they keep their promises.  I'm back at work, improved from how I was a couple of months ago, I'll just take the painkillers and carry on.  I will manage ok, just need to have a little sit down every half hour or so.  Physio starts tomorrow, hopefully that will further improve things.

Take the trousers back Katy, if you're not sure they'll just hang in the wardrobe. 

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Where am I now, KTC? Literally or virtually? 😁 Literally: at home in the armchair I've spent a good few hours in over the last 2 weeks! Just flopped down having prepared the veg etc for dinner after putting all the Christmas decs away (that job always depresses me! Smiley Sad

Dinner is roast beef, braised root vegetables, roasties,  Yorkshire pudding, sprouts and gravy followed by an experimental dessert, I've just invented, involving a standard bread and butter pudding recipe enhanced with mixed dried fruit, chocolate pieces (white and dark),  marzipan chunks,  demerara sugar and double Long life cream - using up the festive leftovers!!

Virtually: both in the sea about half way around Jersey, and in Benchland tidying up after the festive shenanigans! I never knew you could do THAT with tinsel!! Those baubles get everywhere too - I even saw an alligator headbutting one around the lake!! Smiley Tongue

OH in a strop today - probably because I'm going back to work tomorrow. He doesn't realise that in doing that he's making returning to work easier and the thought of properly retiring in the summer (which I have been considering quite a lot this holiday) much less of an appealing prospect!!

Training day tomorrow - I only have to do the morning, and OH's PD consultant appointment is on Friday morning, so I've only got 3 "normal" mornings at work this week. Weird! 

Community Champion

At last I have a spare 10 mins...................

Gosh am not sure FF because you obviously do bending, work heavy machinary etc, what would they do to make life easier?? No one is ever helpful, they pretend to be???

Where are you now JCJ? 

Will there be dinner tonight? please, please haha

Life is not any quieter here yet and my cold has come back, WHAT? It was gone for a couple of days then I started sneezing and coughing again grrrrrrrrrrr.

Bought a pair of trousers in the sales but am not sure about them, YD likes them, because am not sure think I will return them, if you're not that happy about them, it means you will prob never wear them. Fortunately I received 2 new pairs for Xmas and I really like them so all good.

Looks like it's away to pour down here, yuck xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

FF, didn't see your post until after I posted mine: I wonder if your doc is actually helping your work situation by putting "back pain" not "osteoarthritis" , as the latter sounds (and is) rather more permanently debilitating and more likely to cause "let's get rid of her - she's not fit to do the job"?? Just a thought. 

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Don't know where the time has gone! Holiday nearly over already!! Managed to drag my lazy ar** to swimming tonight. I was expecting it to be packed as per normal at the start of January, (New Year's resolutions?) but it was blissfully quiet. I had the pool to myself for the last 5 minutes! Struggled to keep the turkey, mince pie, twiglets and chocolate laden bod afloat though! What a blob! May have to take up residence on the FB bench? 😄

Community Champion

JCJ, I laughed out loud when I read your comment that my Academy might genuinely want to hellp me.  As I said, if they did, they would already have implemented things I have asked for many months ago.  They  always agree but then nothing ever happens.

I am going to write a letter refusing to sign the medical record release they have asked for but offering to release records over the last four months that pertain to my back.  Of course it doesn't help that my Drs. persist in putting "back pain" as my reason for being off sick.  Perhaps if they put osteo - arthritis it might carry more weight. 

Love the dog coat , any dog would be pleased to have that.

Getting colder down here now, winter drawers on!. 

Community Champion

Oooh that looks lovely JCJ, much better than the pattern pictureSmiley Happy

I see you won FF, that's what I get for not reading properly............

It is superly cold here brrrrrrrrrrr, frost has lasted all day long.

Went up to see Mum and quick trip to supermarket for essentials only.

Can you believe it's all over?? Seems to have been so fast...........xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Hmmm, FF, not sure I'd want my academy to have access to my medical records!! Call me an old cynic, but I'd be worried they'd use them as a weapon against me. An excuse to get rid of me! However, yours may genuinely want to help you. I don't suppose your doctor would write a letter explaining your back (and possibly respiratory) condition(s)? Most GPs are extremely busy, though, so I wouldn't blame him/her if they said "NO!" As you say other, historical health issues are none of their business!!

Trivial Champions!  Hurrah! 😁

4am?! Ouch! Hope he grows out of it soon. Roll on when he's big enough for solids:he'll take in less wind then!

The greyhound jumper is finished at last. I hope she likes it - and the dog doesn't refuse to wear it!! 

The dog on the pattern :il_570xN.1268554542_9nk8.jpg

My version :20190102_001407.jpg

I hope she will take a photo of Sid sporting his new outfit so I can see what it looks like on him

Community Champion

Happy New Year to you tooSmiley Happy, wishing happiness and health.

Did you win FF? 

Mmmm am not sure re medical records..............a lifetime?? You will need to check up on that one.

Am sooooooooo muddled with the days thought we were coming for dinner tonight then realised it is not Sun soooooooo takeaway ordered, any excuseSmiley Happy

Did n't actually go to bed until 4am, GS decided to party all night, WHAT?? aah well.......we are hoping colic will be over soon seemingly prem babies hang onto it for a longer period of time than full term babies.

Was productive today, cleared large hallway cupboard, living room still has lots of toys but looks less cluttered, woo hoo, amazing how twitchy I feel when things are not in order.

Snotty cold still here but def calming, thank goodness, fed up of it now.

No appt for next lido, seemingly there are issues with new ward we will be going to, as in ,person in charge is having difficulty scheduling appts, as in, no clue....................oh dear................will phone next week. xx

Community Champion

A  bit of a belated Happy Nrw Year to you all.  Last night I was tucked up in bed with my hot chocolate at about 10.45pm, Never heard any fireworks.  Today I overslept and then had to quickly get ready to go to Son's for a wonderful roast dinner.

Daughter's family invited too, so the whole family together, lovely.  We played trivial pursuit and I was dead chuffed that the 14, 13 amd 12 year old GC wanted me on their team, as apparently "i know everything".  My Son was also on our team and yes we won! Smiley Very Happy

Back to work tomorrow, I have received a letter from the Academy asking for my permission for them to access my medical records so that they can "see what measures to put in place to assist me to do my job" Well perhaps thay could do what they promised to do last Easter to do (a hoover for the annex).  Perhaps they could replace the broken hoover that I reported in October.

I am at the moment torn between saying " stuff you, If my Dr, certifies me as unfit for for work that should be an end to it" or letting them see that I do have a problem .  However the form that they have sent me to fill in to access to medical records has no time limit on it.  I would only want it to be for the last three months not all of my medical records.

I think they;ll receive a sternly worded reply!

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Happy, healthy New Year everyone!

Fireworks going off in a neighbour's garden as I'm watching a recorded programme about reindeer and trying to get the dog coat finished. 

Community Champion

out properly today, cold is still going strong, coughing, snotting and aching, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

did not see any sale bargains...........anyone else find anything???

house is full of toys, so my minimilistic look has gone out the window, will just have to get used to it for the time being..

not staying up tonight, it's funny how times change, i remember saying i would never do that haha.

aaaah wellSmiley Happy xx

Community Champion

Woo hoo for a new tabletSmiley Happy and it's working haha!

Glad you all had lovely and happy times with family.

Woke up this morning feeling rough, sneezing, coughing and snotty nose, hurrah looks like same as last year then.............

Off to bed asap, feeling slightly sorry for myself xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Attempting to post using my new tablet that Santa (OH - with specific instructions in my "Big River" wish list!!) So far, so good. Less frustrating than on my Hudl.

Hudl is probably on its last legs, but once I've got used to this tablet, I'll let OH have it (When I've removed all my stuff, obviously) to see how he gets on with it. If he likes it, I'll get him a new one when/if it finally dies altogether.

Right, let's see if this will post. 🤞

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

The girls have gone home and I'm on the moping about bench. We have had a lovely time. Super roast beast feast yesterday at 1:30pm followed at 8pm by the obligatory local baker's rolls filled with turkey - white and dark meat, my homemade sausage, apple & raisin stuffing, sage & onion stuffing and cranberry sauce. Nom nom nom. 

Tonight we had the traditional Boxing Day pie (turkey, ham and sausages in bought white wine and cream sauce with a puff pastry lid) unfortunately, I was up to my armpits in turkey, stripping it off the bone so it would fit in the fridge - it's been so mild this year that I daren't keep it in the "Christmas fridge" (unheated sunlounge) any longer, so I asked YD to turn the oven on ready to cook the pies. She is unfamiliar with my oven. There was a terrible burning smell, but I thought it was just the turkey juices from yesterday burning off. Put the pies in, pootled about preparing veg, commenting all the while on the smoky oven. Finally thought to check the pies: black!! Smiley Sad  Tried to scrape off the top, black layer of pastry only to discover the rest of the pastry was raw!! Smiley Sad YD had inadvertently turned the oven to grill and fan not fan oven (I've had the ovens 3 years and I didn't even know the bottom oven HAD a grill!!) We tried to salvage it, but it was getting late and the girls have a 3 hour drive, so we ended up just taking the pastry off and eating the rest. It was delicious even if it was disappointing! The 2nd pie (so I can put 4 portions in the freezer for later in the year) went back in the oven for 15 minutes and I have managed to scrape off the black bits. I think it will be ok.

Lovely to see the girls, and I expect it will be the last time we see them before the baby is born. She's due 8th March, not the end of March like I thought. February half term, when we usually visit them,  might be too close for comfort - unless she comes early - so we're just going to wait and see and play it by ear. D-I-L spent a large part of the 2 days they were here napping, and it was most odd to see her not partaking of any alcohol! Smiley Happy

Think I'm going to go for a walk to inspect everyone's Christmas lights to cheer myself up. Looking forward to some doing nothing time, but just at the moment I feel a bit sad. I wish they didn't live so far away. Get a grip woman! It could be Australia!! Smiley Tongue

Community Champion

Oh my we must all be f** blobs FF, hahaha!

Starters, soup, then prawns, then mussels in garlic sauce and garlic bread, then mains and dessert.............

We did have breaks and finally finished around 7, what are we like??

also pleased with gifts, clothes and some penniesSmiley Happy

House was chaotic but I did enjoy it.

Only one mishap, brushed my teeth before bed, was in bed and thought why was there 2 toothbrushes in holder (usually only one). Was in bathroom this morning and looked in my cleaning basket,old toothbrush that I clean small pernickety things was missing, oh no that's what I cleaned teeth with, a bleach ridden brushSmiley Embarassed someone must have thought brush had fallen and helpfully placed it in holder, I give up haha xx

Community Champion

I'm back from Daughter's having had a lovely day.  I have received presents that I love, no gritted teeth and insincere " oooh, that's lovely " this year . I am notoriously difficult to please but this year they've all got it right Smiley Very Happy Wonderful!

Dinner was lovely, turkey and beef on the menu, all the trimmings, no-one had room for pudding.

Boxing Day tomorrow at Son's, more "silly" pressies (sometimes the're better thatn the "real" ones.)  The tiny torch that my Son gave me several years ago is still in use today!

Hope you have all had a lovely day.

Community Champion

Merry Christmas everybody.  Have a lovely day.

I'm off to Daughter's shortly,

Community Champion

Merry XmasSmiley Very Happy, have a wonderful day!! xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Merry Christmas everyone!! Wishing you all a pleasant, happy day however you like to spend it! xx

Community Champion

Oooh cake looks lovelySmiley Happy

How long are your "girls" staying for JCJ?

Aaah you will enjoy the freedom................ lots of time for coffee afternoons................and doing what you want to do, when you want to do it!

Glad you have your appt FF, you will be soon super fit??? Fingers crossed. Hope Purdie has not been wrapped.

What a day, shops were crazy, supermarket almost empty of foodstuffs, couldn't believe it, never, ever seen it sooooooooo badSmiley Frustrated

Everything done, woo hoo, was out for hours today..............so feet are up and another takeaway for tea just couldn't be bothered (did not sit in it whew). Am on my own tonight and was same last night, stayed up so late which was incredibly silly so early bed tonight. xx

Community Champion

There are lots of different mobility scooters about, perhaps you could persuade OH  to try some other ones.  After a suitable time lapse, maybe mention them in February...... or when he's having a grateful moment Smiley Tongue Lovely looking cake, I always prefer a rustic look, smooth does nothing for me!

We don't have a starter, just a good dinner (beef this year) and Christmas pudding when we feel we can eat it, usually at tea time Smiley Happy

I've been wrapping presents tonight and Purdie has been helping.  I've managed not to cut off her whiskers but it's been close a few times!   And I've had to pull sellotape off her fur and get her out of the bag that the presents have been in.

I'm back to work tomorrow after another month off sick, goodness knows what I'll find as my stand ins only do half the hours that I do.  One day, then I get Xmas hols for a week, back to work properly on the 2nd Jan.

The urgent referral to physio resulted in a phone call to see if an appt on 7th Jan was ok.  It is.

So, tomorrow, school, three items to buy and a visit to the Library.  Still need books to read when I'm not with family!

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

20181222_142126.jpg

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

That had me in fits, Katy! Just visualising you picking chips off your nether regions and eating them! Smiley Happy

Glad there's some improvement in GS's colic.

I've never eaten mussels - never really fancied them - don't know why. I love prawns.

Cards all delivered (except the inevitable ones I've forgotten?!) Last one put through their door as I dashed through torrential rain on the way to taking OH swimming. I hate driving in the dark in the rain and I just couldn't keep the windscreen from steaming up. Horrid. Sat in the car for an hour, while he swam, supping tea, eating "underwear-shop" salted caramel shortbread (yum! Present from a child at school) playing silly games on my tablet. Quite enjoyed myself really, although I was very glad it wasn't cold.

Christmas cake iced today. As every year I started out imagining I was going to do a smooth, professional looking job and, five minutes later, ended up going for "rustic"! Every year. Also made the Welsh cakes - without setting off the smoke alarm; a major achievement as the "bakestone" - a family heirloom - always smokes profusely. 

Collecting the turkey, fresh fruit & veg and cream from farm shop tomorrow. I'll make the stuffing and the fruit salad on Christmas Eve as the girls aren't arriving until the evening: DIL has to work until 3pm - and they have a 3-hour drive, so they'll eat on the way. I was going to do the (now traditional) lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner. I might still do that even though it's just us 2.

I was a bit sad leaving school yesterday. We had such a laugh in the staffroom, at lunchtime, and I realised how much I'm going to miss that! Smiley Sad Not immediately, I'll be there for some lunchtimes as I'm still going to do my library and homework clubs, but when I retire completely.....  I've made it clear to OH that I'm sorry to be giving up the best part of my job, and he's suitably grateful - at the moment! Something to remind him of when he's being an a***?

Community Champion

woo hoo for the holidays, you will be glad and even better a part timer afterwardsSmiley Happy

So pleased food wasn't ruined what can you do? apart from nail the freezer shut, haha.

am typing one handed as am holding baby whilst YD is running around trying to buy last minute presents..........

new colic stuff has arrived and appears to be working, not all gone but a little better, we'll see.

prawns and mussels are the starters, checked underwear shop yesterday and there was hardly anything left and what was there i didn't likeSmiley Frustrated

realised i have to buy one more small gift, just chocs that were not on my list, grrrrr.

food on mon and thats it done, hurrah.

went to chippie last night and placed full plate on sofa while i went to get something, never do that, came back and sat on the said plateSmiley Embarassed ate it anyway...........xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

I'm on the FF bench!! Smiley Mad OH left the freezer door open. Again! I discovered it after I'd been out to fetch him from the pub he'd got a taxi to, after I got home from a long - last week before Christmas in a primary school -  day at work (last ever full day Smiley Happy Smiley Sad ) via a wild goose chase around both local chemists and the surgery trying to track down his prescription. Totally kn***ered and, because I had Christmas dinner at school (yummy as ever: we are lucky to have an excellent school cook! Smiley Happy) I was just going to have a snack myself and find something quick in the freezer for OH. Of course, finding the door open changed that plan!! I had a bit of a melt down, but I'm proud of myself that I just cried and told him to leave me alone - I didn't shout and scream at him like I wanted to. The first two things I prodded were soft: a pack of bread rolls and a fish pie mix so I thought everything was thawed and potentially ruined - including the Christmas stuff. Arghhhh!! As it happened, everything else was actually still mostly frozen so I just had to make a fish pie and let the bread re-freeze which should be ok. Now I have 2 portions of fish pie in the freezer for when I CBA to cook in the holiday. Disaster turned into triumph.

Dragged myself off to swimming, despite afore mentioned exhaustion. Sooo annoyed though . because the website where I've been setting myself the swim distance challenges has been taken down and replaced with a, frankly, pathetic app. I have lost the record of all my swims towards the round-Jersey swim. I have no idea how far I'd got. Sooo cross. The distance challenges on the new app are really stupid too: London Marathon, 3 peaks challenge. I know we've had a lot of rain, but not enough to SWIM the London marathon surely or up mountains??! Grrrr!! Sent off a snotty email to them. They replied saying they will ask the techies to track down my data. I won't hold my breath!!! Grrrr. Smiley Mad

Half a day tomorrow. Then 2 weeks off. Hurrah!

Community Champion

Yum yum, knew you would be good for ideas JCJ (cause of those wonderful Sunday Dinners) haha!!

Am going to have a look around hopefully before X day or it will just be soup, no I need to look.........

That is such a shame about scooter, there is a new one that folds down to about the size of a hoover, so it is really practical for car journeys, can just be popped in the boot. They are expensive but seem to be better than the huge bulky ones, depends on how safe OH would feel. You should maybe have a look in a mobility shop or online, good thing about shop is he can try it out, some chemists stock them too.

Have had a nightmare day today, just glad it's almost over, nothing drastic but just a lot of things all at once, grrrrrrrr.

No rain today, woo hoo!!

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

If the "knickers shop" starters don't hijack you, another option could be smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted bagel, toast or even posh crackers? (Sorry, FF, perhaps you could have pate on whichever instead? Smiley Tongue

Mobility scooter was a disaster. I'm sooo disappointed. I really hoped it would help, but OH frightened himself silly just trying it on the flat by the man's house. He didn't even attempt to drive (ride?) the thing down the steep hill to our house. Because it is steered by handlebars, like a bike, it is too sensitive for him to use with his tremor, so the steering was all over the shop and he was terrified of tipping himself out. I really wish he could have waited to try it until I could have been with him. Perhaps I could have stopped him getting quite so anxious. Probably not. He has said he might try a different style - some are steered by a knob apparently, rather than handlebars, but I think he's secretly relieved not to have to learn a new trick, as it were. Hey ho. Carry on with taxis - and me - then! Smiley Sad

Community Champion

Thank you for the ideas JCJ, prawn cocktail we did for 100 years haha, last year it was mussels, thought that smoked salmon minus avocado (melon replacement) may be quite yummy, (sorry FF), pate is a no no.

Went into that shop that is famous for underwear today and they have a lot of yummy starters so may take the cheats way............we'll see.

Think it's a great idea for a try out JCJ, he may love it..........it's just getting your head around the fact that it is there to help you, pride has to take a back seat, fingers crossed.

Good job you checked FF, here's hoping appt is very soon.

Just ordered some colic stuff has really good reviews, he slept through last night but has been screaming on and off most of the day, really not sure what is worst haha. 

Raining here all day, yuck xx

Community Champion

I really don't like that sort of thing, smoked salmon...ugh, avocado... ugh, prawns... ugh,  Just no!  I can eat a few things that I don't really like to be polite but that would be my worst nightmare. 

I well remember a colicky baby daughter that didn't let me go to bed before 3am for ages. Night  terrors passed mine by, thank goodness.

Thank you for dinner, lovely as usual.  Good idea to sell mobility scooter to OH as a replacement car rather than a walking aid.  Hope he gets on with it.  Looking forward to seeing the dog jumper.

I went into Drs. last week to chase up the physio appts., they gave me the phone no. for physio to phone them direct.  It just rang and rang, no answer, so I popped up there today and surprise!  They've got no referral for me.  Back to Drs., they show a referral for me.......there's been a c**k up somewhere along the line . So, referred again today and marked as urgent.

Tried to organise yesterday to get things done so I wouldn't have to go out today as weather forecast awful........that all quickly went pear-shaped so I've had to go out today TWICE and got soaked both times.

Xmas is coming too quickly.  I'm just SO NOT READY!   Help!

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Another starter idea: I once had a smoked salmon, avocado and prawn salad in a restaurant. Easy to prepare. Looks posh. Tastes delicious - if you like that sort of thing! Smiley Happy

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Prawn cocktail is dead easy. Melon? Pate? - you can buy some lovely ones and toast and a bit of garnish is easy. We pig out so much on the main event that we don't bother with starters any more. I used to do prawn cocktail - until the year I had them, ready prepared, in wine glasses, in the door of the fridge and they fell out and smashed when I opened the door. Grrrr!

My sympathies. How I remember those evenings pacing with a screaming, squirming baby. It gets easier once they're on solid food (as long as they don't then suffer from night terrors like ES did!! Smiley Sad)

Yes we did have dinner last night: we had roast pork, apple sauce, stuffing, roasties, Yorkshire pudding, roasted beetroot, crispy kale, smashed roots and gravy followed by raspberry and apple crumble and custard. And that was after I made 2 dozen more mince pies. Neighbour mentioned that she doesn't make mince pies any more and doesn't like shop ones. Aha! That's what I'll give her for Christmas then! She's not having any of ours: we're already onto the freezer stash! It seemed to take aaages without my willing sous chef!!

Started the dog jumper. It's coming along nicely. Won't be done by the end of term though but should be done by the time we go back in January.

OH just had a phone call from someone he knows who is selling a mobility scooter (he has 3!) and is going to let OH borrow it, over Christmas, to try it out. OH is saying "Oh god! Has it come to THAT?" and I'm being very firm with him and saying it isn't instead of walking, it's instead of a CAR: so he can get further away from the house than he could on foot. We'll see. He's arranged to collect it on Wednesday - if he doesn't chicken out! I hope he loves it and it makes life a bit more bearable for him, but I'm not holding my breath!

Community Champion

Did we have dinner last night?? Am so confused am forgetting which day it is..........

Did manage to wrap all presents last night, hurrah, it's not my favourite job........

Am on the "twitchy" bench, as you know I am not fond of clutter, whole house is full of clutter, mmmmmmmmmm. My bedroom has all the wrapped gifts and hallway has old tv and YD's presents for GS and herself, am trying very hard not to twitch too muchSmiley Frustrated

Oh my colic is awful, baby is superly good all through day and evening, come 11pm it starts and can last until 3am, it's terrible. I had no idea.

Now serious stuff, am trying to think of an EASY starter for X dinner, so any ideas would be more than welcome, do have soup but something else needed xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Cards finished, written and posted. Hand delivery ones will be delivered next weekend. Last presents bought - I think, haven't actually checked my stash yet! Cake marzipanned. I'm on the "getting there" bench. Still got a mahoosive "to do" list but what doesn't get done doesn't get done!

Turned on TV to watch recorded "Strictly" final, only to find it's in the last half hour and it hasn't recorded! NOOO! 

Community Champion

Am on the "finally organised, woo hoo" bench!!! psst near the "I know I am getting on your nerves" bench.

All presents done, cards written and posted...................fresh food still to be purchased, list written so I know whats what! Do still have to wrap, hopefully this weekend.

Glad to hear SIL's Mum is doing better, yes FF you do now have to wrap up well, we are on an amber warning here for snow. 4* eating????  Why not?? You have to spoil yourselvesSmiley Happy!

That sounds interesting JCJ, a jumper/coat for a greyhound, you will need to put up pic when you are finished.

What are you both doing for the big day?? everyone will be here, so house will be superly noisy and busy, looking forward to it all apart from the dishes, daughters are nagging me to use dishwasher, am sure it will be defunct after 7 years.............

Had some surprising news this week, my Mum has been wandering around care home, WHAT??? I couldn't believe it.................staff nurse says it seems to be when she is relaxed she can do it but any stress and she's on the floor. Still in shock...........xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

High street vouchers, FF! You can buy them online or in post office and they can be spent in lots of teenage-friendly shops as well as on "BigRiver" and other internet shops. Slightly more of a gift than money but still allows recipient the fun of spending. I bought one for son's GF's birthday.

Glad your son's MIL is improved. Sounds like she was right to refuse invasive investigations?! (Always reminds me of my late father's saying "Don't b**ger I about!")

Much colder here today too. Just come back from swimming and the red ice warning kept coming on in my car. The roads didn't look like they'd been gritted either! Noooo!

I'm nowhere near ready for the big day either. Still got at least 6 more cards to make, never mind writing and posting or delivering them! Christmas cake needs marzipanning and icing. None of the presents are wrapped - and I offered to do OH's as well (except mine! Smiley Very Happy) as he hates it so much. I haven't even checked whether I've got everything! Going to put tree and Dec's up tomorrow evening while OH is at swimming (his friend's taking him again. Yey!) Usually put them up on 11th, but I was out having the festive meal with ex-colleague at our favourite pub on Tuesday, frantically making cards last night and swimming tonight. Busy, busy, busy! Also, only 1 1/2 dozen mince pies left (and only because they are hidden in the freezer!) and neighbour has hinted that she'd like some. That's her Christmas present sorted - just need to find time to make them!

Can't wait for all the pre-Christmas faffing to be done because, at the school Christmas Fayre last week, a colleague asked me to knit a jumper for her greyhound! I've found a pattern online and bought it, along with some "wool" and I'm itching to get started on it! Smiley Happy

Community Champion

The 25th of the month is looming, am I ready?  Noooo, I need at least another month. Sorted most of my family but two teenagers may be getting money to spend on whatever they want (they may prefer that....who knows). Even their parents can't give me any ideas what to buy them.

Went to nearest City shopping yesterday with Daughter, just found a couple of things but had a lovely lunch in a 4* restaurant.  That was worth the trip.

SIL's Mother is improving, more alert and eating again, so that's good. There are still problems but she's ok for the moment.

I popped out today to go to the Library and the market wearing the usual clothes and coat.  Big mistake, sooooo much colder today, temperature has plummeted. Fortunately I had a pair of gloves in the car but I so needed a scarf.  It's so cold and such a change.

Community Champion

That's terribly sad FF, hopefully she remains peaceful and pain free.

Fingers crossed GD's depression is now under control, it's just awful. Great she can chat to you though, talking is a great help.

Well done JCJSmiley Happy, glad you enjoyed the Fayre, you are allowed to be happySmiley Happy, bah humbug to OH..............

All ok here, touching wood as I am typing.............

ED looks fit to burst and still needs iron tabs, YD had her post natal exam couple of issues but not drastic and also needs iron tabs. Baby doing so much better, whew!

Am out for dinner tomorrow night, woo hoo!!

Not having Festive Meal but sticking to main menu, X has crept up so quickly this year, am out of sorts cause am usually fully organised by Oct haha, not so this year..............

Very, very cold here, long way to go methinks xx

JCJ Community Champion
Community Champion

Christmas Fayre today. Sold my knitted toys and Christmas decorations and home made jam. Also got rid of some unwanted school books. Made £76 to split between school and Macmillan, so I'm well chuffed.

Christmas cake is in the oven. Can't open the door until it's completely cold so it's fingers crossed it's cooked ok.

OH in a mood because he's had to pay the heating engineer today. For a job that didn't really need urgently doing but that OH has been pestering him to do as well as servicing the boiler. Honestly! I don't know what he expected. A free job? On a Saturday? He has pestered relentlessly and now it's done and he's in a mard about it. Seriously think he's losing his mind! He's also got his a**e in his hand because I went to school today. Well. Tough. I'm giving up my afternoons in January, and I love the Christmas Fayre, so he can just suck it up!! Oops! Sorry. Rant mode?