67.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

JCJ

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

9 years ago today, I had my WE op. 9 years! I'm very glad to still be taking tapoxyfen (never thought I'd write that!!) and dread stopping it next year, especially in the light of others' recent secondary diagnoses!

Sorry, GIJane, the wind in Benchland was probably mine - it kept me awake most of that night too - a combination of aforementioned Tapoxyfen and lack of a gall bladder! I've planted some more lavender and scented roses to "freshen" the air! 🤭

KTC, do you need to reset your subscription settings for this thread? That might be why you're not getting notifications. 

Buy some hair slides. That'll help keep your fringe out of your eyes  (I never liked a hairband either!) 

I've just about got used to the old glasses again, although I manage without them some of the time. Transitioning back to the new ones wasn't a problem last time so hopefully it'll be OK. I'm hoping they'll fit them properly this time; when I had them, they were just handed to me through the barely open Opticians door (Lockdown 1) and were a little bit loose - but not loose enough to bother making a special fitting appointment. 

It's much milder here now but still grey and damp. Our rockery is bursting with snowdrops and both yellow and purple crocuses (croci?). It is a joy to behold and a reminder that winter is nearly over. The girls sent me a video yesterday of their Al fresco lunch in their garden in glorious, warm sunshine! So jealous. 

Flop is finished. Just got to remember to post them to Norwich next month. 

20210221_212952.jpg

katytc

Aaaah Jane, so lovely to hear from you but terribly saddened by your news. Can only echo JCJ regarding treatments nowadays. So fingers and toes will be crossed for you. Enjoy your big comfy bed and know we are here for you whenever you need us, you will always be a Benchlander. There is a bell you can ring and we will either fly or skateboard over to you.

Hope your eyes have now adjusted JCJ, they will have to readjust when you get your glasses back arrrrrrrrrgh!

Beautiful day here but chilly brrrrrrrrrr, was meant to go to shops earlier but so can't be bothered.

Kinda ruin it for myself because will now have to go later and it would have been much easier if I had just gone as planned.

That sounds a bit jumbled but you know what I mean haha.

My hair will soon be the same length as yours JCJ, did have to give my fringe a small chop because I couldn't see, bought a hair band? tried it and it now lingers in my bin, that was a bigger mess, haha.

Will have to keep checking because I received no notifications so had no idea what was happening, that'll teach me xx

GIJaneH

Aw thanks!  It turned out to be a bit stormy on the bench Saturday night, but I was much more snug last night, and grateful for the comfort and hot chocolate.  These sleep fairies are pesky, aren't they?  I wonder if they're hiding in the Dark Dark Woods again?

JCJ

Just arranging a cosy sleep bench with a comfy mattress, snuggly duvet, pillows, a hot toddy and/or flask of soothing hot beverage of your choice. I've banished the alligators to the far end of the lake so they'll leave you in peace and I will send this pesky sleep fairy over just as soon as I can catch her. 😊 xx

GIJaneH

Thanks for the warm welcome again!

Had our vaccinations on Thursday with no side effects,  so that's a plus 

Is there still a sleep bench? I need to go there tonight xx

JCJ

Helloooo GIJane!! I was so excited to see you in Benchland after so long, but gutted when I saw the reason why. 😢 You are very welcome of course. We'll always make room for former.... and new.... "Benchies"! 

It's been very quiet here lately: mostly just KatyTC and me populating the place. I miss the mad "productions" of those early days and laughing hysterically at my computer screen.

We continued MMU (or at least, KatyTC, FoxyFeret and I did, then just 2 of us) until my OH's Parkinson's anxiety prevented me leaving him in 2019 and then, although he's now better medicated, the pandemic put paid to last year's meet up. We're still hopeful for another one soon though. 🤞🏼

As you say, secondary cancer treatments are improving all the time, so I hope you have a good quality of life for a good while yet. I'm sure you will get lots of support in the secondaries posts on here: "Grumpy" is lurking in there somewhere, I believe. 

Take care, stay safe. xx

GIJaneH

OOh!  Is there still room for me????  I sat on the bench in 2011 with you guys... been off enjoying myself in between.  Now, here I sit, back on the bench, with secondaries in my lungs and liver.  Just been diagnosed.  We've been through the "I'm going to die" to, "there is treatment that works better these days, so I will have a life too".  I'm being grateful for somethings every day, but today is a wobble day, so time to sit on the bench again... only I can't work out how to post a post, just reply to one...  Thanks for shuffling up for me... how are you all doing?  Jane

JCJ

Yum. Yum. Who ate all the birthday cake? Not me *innocent face* (hastily wipes crumbs off fleece). 

Disaster on Tuesday when I did the supermarket shop. I wasn't in a particularly good mood anyway that day but thought getting the 3-week shop done would make me feel better so I forced myself away from the CBA bench. Wrong! 

As always, my glasses kept steaming up because of my mask so I was wearing them on the end if my nose but, for some reason, the mask kept sliding up my face and poking me in the eyes. It was driving me nuts. Finally got to the checkout, with an overflowing trolley, and she announced she was closing that till. Grrr. Joins queue for another one, sorely tempted, at this point, to just abandon the trolley and walk out. It was only the thought of some of the deliciousness therein - and the empty shelves at home - that made me stay put. A new till opens. I'm nearest. Hurrah! However, while I'm bending to take things out of trolley, my glasses fall off FOUR times. (They are frameless and ultralight and were never fitted properly - added to the fact they have to compete with the mask for ear space!) Oh FFS! I ended up stuffing them in my pocket. 

Having eventually paid, left shop, loaded the car, and removed mask, I fished the glasses out of my pocket and went to put them on so I could see to drive home . Oh no! They were all wobbly and floppy at the bridge: presumably why they kept falling off? .... or maybe they broke on the last drop, or in my pocket. Anyway, they're unwearable but fortunately I keep an old pair in the car. 

Today, I took the glasses back to the opticians and they think they can repair them but I won't get them back until next week. I'm wearing the old ones (from prescription before last, because I broke my more recent ones last year - just before Covid chaos hit) and I've been feeling really awful today: Headache and all out of sorts. I was starting to panic that I was getting ill when I remembered feeling exactly the same wearing these glasses last year. I appear to be able to see just as well, but they must be just that bit different. I seem to remember that I got used to them last year, after a few days. 

I've taken them off, but now my headache is not improved by straining my eyes. 

Whinge, whinge, whine, whine, whine. I'll take myself to the Stop Whining bench. 😛

katytc

He is a little scary........................haha, if GD loves him so be it😀

Throw looks magnificent!

Glad all went well with jab, lots of people will be fearful leaving home now, unfortunately.

Been pretty quiet, can't even be bothered finding anything I can sort/tidy, past that stage as enthusiasm is def waning...............

New book is a poor read, arrrgh!

Eldest GS's birthday today, woo hoo, cake will be in shed later xx

JCJ

Spring may not be sprung...... not by a long way — -18°, brrrr indeed! — but Bing is bung (done, but bung is funnier?) I hope GD is still mad about him by next month. "pumpkin" wool on order, from Mr Futon, as wool shop is closed, to knit Flop as well. 😁

20210212_204344.jpg

 (He's sitting on the new throw - but the colour still hasn't been done justice) 

There were lots of faffy fiddly bits to knit so I'm glad he is finished. His eyes are a bit freaky - I knitted them instead of cutting them out of felt, as instructed, so he'd be washable. 

OH seems to be fine after his vaccination. No after effects... yet. He's calmed down again now too. It's been so long since we've been anywhere for a specific time that just being in the village by 10:10am was a major trauma! 😔 I hate to imagine what he'll be like next time we have to catch a train!! It's half term, a year since we last visited Norwich; so much for retirement enabling us to visit the girls more? 🙄

It's 🤬 cold again today. I'm trying to muster the energy to go to the shop for milk. Or maybe I'll get the emergency litre out of the freezer! 

katytc

Hope all went well, woo hoo for OH!

It's been awful here, -18 degrees and 8 inches of snow brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Finally ventured out today because cupboard was bare. 

Am now stocked up hurrah, journey was slow and a bit scary but did it............

Bought a book and hundreds of sweet things, bad moi but I really don't care haha.

Nothing really else to report, so very quiet! xx

JCJ

Sitting in freezing car waiting for OH. But he's not swimming. We're in the village. At the doctors surgery because he's having his Coronavirus vaccine! Hurrah!

This appointment was made when they rang on Tuesday but, this morning, he had an NHS letter telling him to book an appointment! I saw the NHS envelope and hoped it was mammo for me..... 🙄

Very strange to be up, dressed and out at this time in the morning for the first time in months! OH got very anxious. Ooh he's out already! Got to go.

katytc

And there will be sausages again today..............

My favourite yummy yum, thank you!

Aaaah that sounds exciting for GD, does it take long to do?

We have a lot of snow today and it's also very cold, we have a bit of sunshine, then it gets dark and more snow falls, so glad I went to PO cause would never get there now haha.

Am on the CBA bench, there are things I can do but just dont want to, ah well xx

JCJ

Sausages for breakfast? There's decadent! 😁

Munching a "buttered" hot cross bun as I read/type. 

Dinner prepped: roast beef followed by homemade apple and berry pie with fruit coulis and ice cream. In the shed as per....

Sooo cold today. Not precipitating - which makes a change - but there's a viciously icy wind. Brrrrr. I didn't even give him the option of going out anywhere! I'm not dawdling about at his snail's pace in this weather!! 

I'm temporarily abandoning the blanket as it's GD's birthday in a few weeks (20th March) and she's mad about Bing on CBeebies. I've found, purchased and downloaded a knitting pattern for Bing and the BBC has a free Flop pattern so I'm going to knit both for her. YD said she'll adore them, especially as Bing's dungarees are not only removable but will also probably fit the bears I made for her... and Mouse! Apparently they'll be on and off 100 times a day. 😂 They all (the toys, not the girls! 😊) already take it in turns to wear Mouse's coat. 

I've started with the dungarees because I'm not sure I have enough of the red left. May need to buy some online as my local wool/craft shop is closed. I've got to buy some Flop colour wool anyway and don't want to pay two lots of postage.

I hope you're not too seriously snowed in. Stay safe and warm. xx

katytc

Hot cross buns?? A hidden or not so hidden significant bake??

Oh no!!! And they are closed at the moment so pretty mean.............

Have had a good look at different knits, something to keep in mind, my fingers are super painful at the moment so will have to leave choices just now. Am well impressed by your throw, so very pretty.

Well, after 72 hours of non stop rain, we now have snow! It's very cold minus 6 arrrgh.

Nipped out quickly to post office yesterday could have waited but thank goodness I did go, well done me hahaha.

Nothing much happening here, excitement this morning am about to munch sausages for breakfast, woo hoo!

Hope there is something left in the shed this evening, yum yum xx

JCJ

I planned for the new blanket to go in my room, to sit across the bottom of my bed for when I need an extra layer. However, as we have a navy blue leather sofa with a rather nasty, cheap, fleece throw on it, I might put it there instead.

I'll look up the charities I found that give ideas for knitted or crocheted squares, and message you them. I remember there was a rather fabulous dressing gown made from lots of different coloured squares - more practical than a blanket for the homeless/elderly.

I've nearly completed square number 60 and there are at least a couple more patterns I want to knit so I'll keep going. 

I got a letter yesterday. "This is NOT a circular" (no, clearly it's rectangular!!) Wondered if it might be my mammo appt at last but it didn't say NHS, and it wasn't addressed to my first name. When I opened it, I was straight away on the FF bench. It was £100 fine for parking in an empty pub car park last Friday (the canal walk I didn't want to be on anyway!!) 🤬🤬🤬🤬

We always used to park in that enormous, usually not at all busy car park to walk up the canal and sometimes I'd drop OH off to spend a couple of hours in the pub. Recently, "customers only" signs have gone up along with a lockable barrier and a camera. Anyway, we stopped parking in there, even though the pub is closed, of course, at the moment and park in gateways along the road. On Friday, I pulled into the last remaining space in a gateway (ironically, the way into the long "closed due to vandalism" country park car park!! 😖) as someone else vacated it and a bloke driving a tractor asked me to move because he was about to cut the hedge! He suggested I park "at the marina" - which is the pub carpark: there's a marina next to it. I was reluctant to park there because of the snotty signs, but I'd already dropped OH off and there were no other safe places to park so, as the pub was closed anyway, I decided it was the best option. WRONG!! 😠

That pub has permanently lost my custom. I can't believe they've employed a private carpark policing firm to guard there precious land: especially when the pub is NEVER busy enough to fill the enormous carpark.

I was going to contest the charge, but realised I'd probably still have to pay it and I CBA with the hassle, so I paid it online (£60 for paying within 14 days: another reason for not contesting it!) from OH's account so I could just forget about the greedy b*******.

Ah well, I've got a good excuse next time he wants to go there? 😜

I was so bored today, I made some hot cross buns. Yum. In fact, I'm going to go ang get one to eat now. I'll put some in the shed with lashings of butter. 😁

katytc

Where is your new blanket going??

Have taken your advice and am doing squares, just lots and lots of squares haha.

Because the weather is sooooooooooo miserable that doesn't make things any easier..........

It's very cold here and we have had snow on and off always disappearing by afternoon which is a good thing.

Went to PO today and had a debate in my head do I go to one nearby that always has queues or do I walk further where there is no queue ever? Decided nearby and was so lucky one person in front of me, hurrah, when I left there were around 10 people behind me, couldn't believe my luck!!

Did tidy up wardrobe, didn't take as long as I expected also cleaned fridge didn't defrost, cleaned cooker hood and curtain rails so was pretty pleased. Done, done done.

GD will be two this week where does the time go??

Won't be long for your GD too. xx

JCJ

How lovely to get a gift of chocolates! 😍 That's certainly excellent customer service. I can't see that happening here!

I tried to take a picture of the throw but the colour comes out all wrong: it looks much too blue instead of the gorgeous teal colour. I love blue, it's my favourite, but this is a fab colour and looks better in the room. The cobalt blue blanket I'm knitting compliments it well too. Now 57 squares done. I may stop at 60 - that'll be a 3ft x 5ft blanket - or I might continue with the original plan to make it 3ft x 6ft, I'm not sure. So far, every square is a different pattern, although they are all the same colour. I can recommend knitting squares because it stops you knitting for too long, or getting bored. You can use up scraps too. There are online charities that suggest items you can knit using squares... that's my future project, after I've finished the blanket and advent calendar! (unless the 2 bears sell in the meantime!) 😁

The snow we had last weekend only lasted a day or so before the rain washed it away. Lovely to see it but I was relieved to see it go: to be able to walk and drive without sliding about!

We had to get a new monitor for the computer, this week, as ours suddenly went black while OH was using it. I thought it might be something to do with the upgrade we had done, so I took the computer back to the repair shop but they said it was fine and sold me a new monitor. It took some fiddling to get the new monitor working properly as only the blue and green colours were displaying: no reds at all - I thought it was faulty and would have to go back, but swapping the cables fixed it. Phew!

While we were waiting for them to look at the computer, we had a bakery ("angry eggs") takeaway baguette and mugatea, sat in the car on the High Street. Such are the small excitements of lockdown?! There were quite a few people milling about. So much for "Stay at home"!

DIL has had her 1st vaccination. Hurrah. Because she works in a caring role. I didn't expect her to get hers before OH had his, but it feels like another step in the right direction!

I was in a proper grump yesterday. Hadn't planned on going anywhere, obviously, except to walk and get our Friday chippies. OH asked if we could drive to a nearby walk by the canal that he likes. I really didn't want to, but knowing he can't go without me, I agreed. We've been there sooo many times. We walk, painfully slowly for about 200 yards and then walk back. I am so bored with it, and the weather was grey, damp and completely uninspiring. I didn't manage to hide my grumpiness about it so OH suggested I walk off on my own to do the circular walk - still not exactly novel, but an improvement - which I did. I feel bad because I made him feel guilty for dragging me out. The joys of PD, retirement and lockdown combined! Hey ho! 

katytc

Thank you for dinner, pears in choc sauce yum yum!

Woke up yesterday morning to snow, all gone by afternoon because of non stop rain, arrrrrrgh.

It's sooooooooooo dismal here.

The nothingness???........................ah well could be worse.

Let's hope the vaccine jab isn't the same scenario as your flu jab.

It is very, very quiet here, even the shops that are open, there are no queues not many people going around at all.

Am going to continue with knitting for a little while yet because like you say it is therapeutic, am only going to do little bits instead of starting and not wanting to stop. You will need to show pic of your finished blanket.

Teal throw sounds pretty.

Thinking of going into YD's wardrobes for a kinda clearout but am not sure I'm really up for it haha nothing much to throw out just organise a little better. It's last job to do but feel as though it will be a mammoth task, mmmmmmmmmmm, we'll see.

Am having an italian stew and tagliatelle tonight with lots of parmesan, no dessert available haha.

Postman delivered a small box of handmade chocs yesterday, who from?? A shop I frequent often, how lovely, that's somewhere that looks after their customers, nice touch, woo hoo xx

JCJ

Not sure where the time is going when we're doing nothing! Another Sunday. Another week gone! Where? How? 

We've had lots of snow today so I've stayed indoors apart from stepping out to put seed on the bird table. I was going to shovel a pathway to the front door but decided not to bother as it was still snowing and forecast to freeze overnight. Untrodden snow is less slippery to walk on than patches of compacted snow and ice, so better safe (and warm and lazy) than sorry (and cold and kn*****ed).

Up until now, this much snow would have had me on tenterhooks listening/watching out for school closure notices, but it's such a relief not to have to worry about driving anywhere. It occurs to me that now people have shown they can work from home, and teachers can teach remotely, there won't be any more snow days. That's very sad. 

Really appreciating not experiencing an arctic blast on opening the living room door into the hall. I'm sure we'll soon take it for granted - and forget how cold it used to be - but for now, I keep stopping to enjoy the new radiator. 😁

I bought a lovely, teal, cotton throw for the chair in my room. It's a slightly different shade to the curtains and bedding, but it just about "goes" and it's certainly more cheery than the black teddy fleece that was there before - and causes less static electricity! It makes me smile. A bit like your splashes of orange?

I could contact the sender of the flu jab letter, but as it's from the head office of NHS England, in London, I don't suppose they have any clue about what's actually happening here. When I went to collect my tapoxifen, from the chemist next to the Dr's surgery, there were about 8 people queueing outside the Dr's! If they're that busy, I'll just wait for them to contact me. I've never needed a flu jab before, even when I worked in school, so I'm sure I'll be fine. (if that's not tempting fate....!!)

Sorry Lynn's made you have to stop knitting. I find it so therapeutic and I feel lost if I've not got something on the go. I've done 54 1/2 (of 72) 6" squares for my blanket; each one with a different pattern, and I'm itching to start the advent calendar too. 

Roast lamb dinner and chocolate and pear cake with chocolate sauce in the shed. 

katytc

Glad light is working, your DIY skills are just fabulous😀

Snow has now gone so can walk freely around, not for long though according to forecast, arrrgh!

At the moment it's very cold and foggy..........

Did some shopping yesterday so will be fine again for a week or so.

Knitting has now ceased and will not be doing again, Lynn has put paid to that!

I don't know.............if they are sending a letter to you, you should be able to contact them?? xx

JCJ

Didn't bother with ringing docs again. After 2 mornings trying, I figured there are a lot of people with far more urgent need! I have just done OH's repeat prescription, online, and I'll enquire at that pharmacy when I pick it up because they have a "book your flu jab here" sign up. Failing that: never had to have flue jab before, even though it says all over 50s, so what's one more year without - especially as I'm not mingling with people anyway!? 

Glad you got your lido. Hope it's doing it's stuff. 

Fridge light is fixed. No more groping in the dark. It stopped working but, when I fiddled with it, the bulb came on but the housing for it was loose. Sorted that.... eventually... but now the light wouldn't come on. Decided it was probably broken (most likely by my fiddling!) but ordered a new bulb just in case. It arrived on Saturday and it works. Woohoo! 

We've had no snow. Just grey, damp and cold. Crocuses flowering in the garden though, and it's still light when the timer turns the tree lights on outside, so spring is on the way. 😁🌷

katytc

Woo hoo cosy hallway, feel superly scared using a drill but if you did drill through a water pipe your plumbing skills would save the day😀

Did you manage to get through to docs??

Lido went very well, small headache afterwards that's all just seem to be still tired today but that's all ok.

They are really pushing for overnight stays but am not doing it because I only stay about 10 mins away and would rather be home.

Pretty heavy snow here, started last night, tiny snow flakes ED said horrific driving conditions this morning, it is now raining lightly and if it freezes tonight we are done for...............

Am now knitting cushion covers for my newly covered chairs, easy cause it's just a long fat scarf hahaha xx

JCJ

Radiator has arrived. And installed. I did the drilling myself - under strict supervision. I THINK I have set the timer and temperature correctly so it will work alongside the central heating. The thermostat for the central heating is in the hall, so we might need to adjust that to stop everywhere else being cold. I suspect we'll spend the next few weeks tweaking. But I bet that'll be the end of the cold weather now. You're welcome. 😇

JCJ

Tried at least a dozen times to phone the surgery today always getting a busy line tone - not even the "you are nth in the queue" message. Tried 2 local pharmacies, after checking online that they were "participating" ones - because that is what the NHS England letter said to do! Both said they didn't have any flu vaccine and to ring my Dr's surgery. Usual one hand not knowing what the other is doing? Can't go up in person as they won't let me in without an appointment. So I gave up. If I'm avoiding all human contact to stay safe from Covid, I'm not likely to catch flu either and OH has had his jab so I'm not risking passing it on to him.

I'll try and get through tomorrow, but I'm not going to stressfully waste hours on it again. I'll enquire when I pick up OH's prescription up in a couple of weeks.

Smoked mackerel risotto tonight so I won't join you in a beef dinner, but the rest of the beef will be in a cottage pie tomorrow. 😁

katytc

Ooooh new radiator😀 Do you have to drill etc? That's a scary thought.........

Chairs are not glued but went to extreme of nailing hahahaha, that's the way to do it!

Very easy, cost for 4 chairs £9.99 a bargain indeed.

Realised that now have bright colours in every room think it's my brain making the best of these times and like the lights, bringing some happiness and cheer to my heart.

Lido tomorrow hurrah because am not really out life is easier so there is no need to swallow any pills at the moment which is another hurrah.

Thank you for dinner love roast beef so am having it tonight too, you are welcome to munch too.

Oh my, we did meet when we were only a few days old.............xx

JCJ

This friend you've not seen for 40 years: must have been born in the same maternity ward and not seen them since? 🤔😜

Not had the flu jab yet. I'm going to ring the surgery tomorrow and ask them if they'd rather I went to a participating pharmacy (I know the one where I get OH's prescription does them) if they're too busy with Covid vaccines - surely more important?! 

Wooh Hoo! New, shiny orange chairs. I hope you didn't sit on any before the glue dried! 😂

Yesterday, I ordered an electric radiator for our hall. It's only a small space but it's never had any heating, neither has the adjacent kitchen, since we had the refit in 2015 - taking out the huge, rather unnecessary, radiator in the process. Whenever the living room door is opened, all the heat escapes, and there's a fierce draught every time he leaves the door open!! We've been talking about getting a plumber in to put another radiator on the central heating.... but, realistically, that's never going to happen! I decided to do some research and found there's a plug in one available that's small - and thin - enough for on the wall above the electric socket. No tradesmen required. We just fix it to the wall and plug it in. I ordered it. Should be here by mid week. Hurrah. Only been waiting 37 years to sort that problem. That, Katy, is what we are like!! 😅

Roast beef dinner and apple crumble with custard in the shed. Enjoy. x

katytc

What are you and OH like?? Hopefully you have calmed down now or the batteries have ran out😀

Have you had your flu jab?

There is one house here with christmas tree still up but there are no lights on the tree and haven't been since people put it up so no real cheer.

Have been busy have 4 chairs in the kitchen, the seats were grey, they are now orange woo hoo! Have disliked for agggges............checked all around you tube for ideas, but had a brainstorm and did the easiest way possible, no staple gun needed. Will never be able to remove again haha.

Also knitted a hat complete with pom pom and managed to sew, woo hoo courtesy of you tube. Have been actually doing it wrong, that's why it was always a mess.

Piece of lovely news a friend I have not seen for around 40 years contacted me and we are going to meet up when we are able to. As long as its not another 40 years..............

The ice has gone, can walk safely now. xx

JCJ

Cold and frosty here. Just been out for my walk and I took it very carefully! There was a video going around on Twitter, earlier in the year, showing a poor woman in Russia desperately trying to negotiate a curb up onto a pavement that was just a sheet of ice. She kept falling over. Dozens of times. And the (presumably) guy filming it didn't even try to help her; just kept filming! I wish I hadn't seen it because I can't unsee it and I was already scared enough about slipping over!!

The only lights still up are on a house in an adjacent street and my white ones in the bushes. But there were lots of stars to compensate (as in up in the sky, not celebrities loitering on the streets 😁) and a clear long view, from the top of the hill, of all the streetlights and car lights on the motorway in the distance. That cheered me up. As did the first yellow crocus in flower in our garden. Yay! 

I don't think I mentioned it but, before Christmas, we received a card from the PD support group - the one we went to just the once! — and in it was a £25 voucher for our favourite supermarket. Wow. Needless to say, a few extra treats found their way into my trolley. 😊

I took the tree and all the decs down yesterday after I got back from shopping.

OH drove me nuts today. Several times I have said to him, and to YD within (even) his hearing, that I was going to leave up the lights outside, to cheer everyone up, until lockdown ends or the batteries run out. He even said he'd leave up the hideous red ones he bought for the front bedroom window and we discussed trying to make them spell NHS. This afternoon, when the white lights came on, on their timer, he said "I would have thought that you would have taken those down by now, you are so organised." I'm afraid I just lost it: "We've talked about them several times. They're staying up. Do you not remember ANYTHING.... or do you just not listen?!" He skulked off upstairs. Whoops! He keeps coming out with inane remarks like that. Completely losing the plot? Or just making random conversation because there's *** all else to talk about? 

NHS letter arrived for me this morning. I thought it would be mammo, at last, but it was telling me to book a flu jab at Dr's - same letter OH had before and when he rang surgery they hadn't got any! Ah well, I'll perhaps ring about it tomorrow, although I know they're very busy doing Covid-19 jabs at the moment: several elderly people in our street have had theirs already apparently. 

katytc

Was laughing when I was posting😀

Love new outfit too, will be especially be great for the horrific icy streets and pavements here, have not ventured out for days, (not lockdown) but because you were too scared to walk anywhere.

Am afraid I guffawed with laughter at YD trying to navigate her way to nearest shop, hee hee bad Mummy!!

Especially as she was purchasing essentials for me..............

Have been out today, woo hoo, just have to really watch where you are walking, did my food shopping and picked up prescriptions. So fridge is stocked with goodies, am completely spoiling myself. Well, why not??

Hope you managed to get to supermarket.

We are meant to have heavy snow starting tonight, brrrrrrrrrr, it's very cold.

Don't think many have left lights up here, you do miss the cheery windows.

Is your tree down now JCJ? 

Oh my gosh knitted toddler hat for GD, what a mess, sewing has not improved arrrrgh xx

JCJ

😂 Thank you for putting a smile on my face, Katy, on a sh***y evening. I was out for my walk, saying a quiet "thank you" to all the houses with lights still up, when my phone pinged to say you'd posted. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the picture. 

So. We're in Lockdown again. I said it was madness for the schools to go back and they did for just one day! All that mixing of households, after 2 weeks apart, for no reason. Complete lunacy. I'm glad I'm not part of it any more. I woke up at 7am, on the dot, this morning. Every other first day of January term the alarm has had to drag me out of my slumbers, but not today when I didn't have to go! What's that about? Needless to say, I took great pleasure in snuggling back down for some more snoozing! 😁

I was planning a supermarket trip tomorrow, but now I'm not sure I'm allowed because the new restrictions state we must stay local in our village, town or part of city. We have 3 small supermarkets/stores in our village and 3 others within walking distance but I was hoping to go to S*******y's for the 3 weekly shop: not been since before Christmas, and there are some items - not strictly essential - that I can't get anywhere else. I'm glad we drove to a country park we like, about 10 miles away, yesterday because we won't be able to go again for a while! I felt a bit guilty going there but the car needed a good run as the battery was dying.

I have a new outfit more befitting our post-festivities body shape. It also reminds us to stay in our bubbles and stay safe. 😋

b31f4e5de039d0233f8e05229d9b1f6b.jpg

katytc

thumbnail - 2021-01-04T185024.820 (2).jpg

Memories, memories, remember when you wore this to Afternoon Tea in Norcambe JCJ?

And the admiring glances you received as we walked along the promenade?

Makes me smile just thinking about it xx

JCJ

Just been out for a walk and ours are almost the only lights still up in our street and there aren't many elsewhere either. It's cold, damp and grey; just the weather to need cheering with pretty lights. 😐

I always feel sad when I take the  tree down. In every other year, it would've come down today as I'd be back at work tomorrow, but this year it's staying up until 12th night! At least I shan't have to get up at dark o'clock tomorrow: going back in January was always the hardest. I still miss the camaraderie - OH only hears half of what I say, understands even less and remembers almost nothing. Some days I'm convinced he's getting dementia! 🙄

Yesterday, I was sitting in my pjs and dressing gown thinking I really should shower and get dressed so I can take next door's birthday card round. It was 1pm. She rang and asked me to come to the front door. (our 'front' doors are actually on the side of our houses so they face each other with a 6ft gap and a knee high wall between) She had a big bouquet of lovely, multi coloured roses for me! On HER birthday! To say thank you for "looking after" her. I've done hardly anything, just the odd bit of shopping - her daughter does most of it - and talking to her on the phone when she rings. I was so embarrassed. And still in my pjs!! 🤭 The flowers will cheer me up when I take the tree down though. 

We had snow last night. But it was all gone by this morning. I'm glad because I'm terrified of either OH or me slipping over but I feel for the local kids. It would have been nice for them to have some to play in before they're back at school. It's utter madness that they're going back anyway!

Fingers crossed your lido goes ahead, and that you're not too ouchy. Still no news about my mammo that was due in October, but I expect the backlog is massive and they have fewer screening sites/appointments. Getting neurotic about every boob twinge! 😳

katytc

Woo hoo JCJ the plumber extraodinaire!!!

What are you like?

I have taken down decorations too, seemed an ideal time, last year I couldn't wait so many wires and glitter was glad to see the back of it, this year completely different and it felt sad indeed plus there is a huge gap of nothingness at my window ideal for sticky fingers.

Weather here has been lovely sunny albeit very cold, makes such a difference compared to those awful long grey days.

Just over a week now till next lido, fingers crossed with what's going on. Have the new tablets but not tried them yet, a case of grin and bear it haha. Am so nutty about tabs because of all the side effects experienced prior to. Do though keep thinking about your OH JCJ, he was wary and his tabs have made a great difference to his life, will see xx

JCJ

Double dipped small boy! I love it. 😁

I was on the smug bench earlier because I have added to my lockdown plumbing successes by fixing the bedroom radiator. It's been cold for months (years?) now, but we assumed we'd need a proper plumber/heating engineer to fix it and didn't other because OH likes a  cool bedroom anyway and, if absolutely necessary, his air con unit has a heater. Anyway, I got fed up of it being freezing in there and not being able to use the radiator airer to dry stuff so I Googled. Turned out to be a simple fix which I did in less than 5 minutes! Dah dah! The shower, both the kitchen taps and now a radiator. *bows to acknowledge applause*

Bit sad tonight though because so many people have already taken down their festive lights which have been so enjoyable on my evening walks. By the end of the weekend, I expect they'll nearly all be gone. 😢 My white ones, in the trees, are staying out until the batteries run out but I'll take down all the Christmassy ones. Bring on the spring and the lighter evenings. The snow drops are starting to come up so that's a reminder of better days to come. 

katytc

2nd bath in as many hours done😀, no more curry hair, woo hoo xx

katytc

Happy New Year, woo hoo!

Can't believe it another year has gone by, though 2020 is one we will wish to forget, erase from memory, as soon as...........

Sounds as though you had a lovely time JCJ, I know it's not the way you wanted things but thank goodness for the internet. Glad you received everything on your wish list and OH was trying his very best. Lovely.

Very quiet last night, actually went to bed early, GS is with me and today because it was such a nice day we went for a smallish walk, it was try to avoid the huge icy patches and snow. Not 5 mins out and I wheeled pram through a huge pile of poo, how blink'in disgusting. Thank goodness there was ice and snow cause I managed to get rid of all of it whew! GS thought it was funny being pushed backwards and forwards numerous times.

Just eaten a takeaway tonight and ordered an extra roti for GS, he loves them, all was going well until he slapped said roti right into curry on my plate, hands and hair now smell of curry (not mine) and am determined he's not having another bath, mmmmmmmmmm well maybe I'll have to. Even with a sponge down, smell is still lingering.

Glad GD's wellie was rescued, think scarf could be anywhere........

Now did you run out last night and play with the sparklers??? You never could resist xx

JCJ

RATS! (that's considerably more polite than I was earlier!!) We are in Tier 4 from midnight tonight. Good job I didn't book swimming for tomorrow it will have to close. Again. 

Christmas day was actually quite good. OH decided he would like to have dinner in the evening, as we do every other day of the year, instead of at 1pm ish as per normal Christmas. This meant I didn't have to get up early to put the turkey on (and no early morning wake up call from visiting toddler either 🙁) and it was very strange not being able to smell the turkey cooking in the morning. 

We had a zoom call with the girls, to open presents together - hastily posted parcels had arrived in time! - which was really lovely. GD was delighted with the back pack (for nursery) and cuddly toy cat I bought her. They all loved the little coat I knitted for GD's toy mouse to wear when they go to nursery (I even stitched a name tape in it "Mouse S******" 😁) It almost felt like they were here with us, but we got a bit emotional when the call ended. 😢

Dinner was lovely, if not really much more than our usual Sunday roast, and I portioned up enough turkey, ham, stuffing and gravy to put in the freezer to do it all again when the girls can finally visit. (I burnt the pigs in blankets so I'll recook some fresh!) OH made a real effort not to be grumpy and he'd bought nearly everything off my wish list! Well done him! 😁

I made 2 "Boxing day pies" (turkey, ham, sausage, tin white wine sauce, bought puff pastry lid) so we can have that, too, when they come as that's a firm favourite. 

Oh no! Not the scarf! If you retrace your steps, maybe some kind soul will have found it and hung it up somewhere? That's what happened to GD today. They got home and DIL realised she only had one pink unicorn wellie, having set out with 2, so YD went out to look for it and some helpful person had put it, upside down to keep the rain out, on the railings of the park. YD said it was payback for all the times she's/we've rescued shoes, gloves etc and put them on a fence/hedge. Small victories. 

New Year's eve tomorrow. That will be a quiet one.... one of my neighbours is letting off fireworks now: partying while they still can?! Let's hope 2021 is better. Can't be much worse can it? Or am I tempting fate?! Bring on the vaccines! Wishing everyone a safe, healthy New year. x

katytc

Merry Xmas, woo hoo!

Had a lovely time, meal delicious apart from dessert which was yuck, completely tasteless. Purchased because I thought GC would like it.............never again.

Walking was a little difficult as I was wearing only one glittery shoe???

Received a very sentimental gift from ED which had us both bawling, what are we like??

Nipped out today and stocked up with essentials shouldn't be out for another week now.

Very quiet here, it's extremely cold so think everyone is hiding, and of course lock down.

Forgot to say when out on Xmas Eve afternoon GS had his new scarf on, very cosy, on the way back home I noticed it had disappeared, oh no, did someone take it because it was soooooooooooo beautiful? No think he pulled it off, naughty baby so will have to do another haha.

Hope you enjoyed your meal JCJ, quiet without your girls, never mind fingers crossed you will be celebrating in style perhaps in the summer??

Tried to post last night and everything disappeared and said I had no internet connection which I did??

So this is yesterdays post haha!!

JCJ

Merry Chriiiiiistmas everyone! 🎄❤️ Stay safe.

katytc

Yeah😀😀!!!!

What a great start to the day...............and presents..............woo hoo.

Am wearing my tiara in celebration.

Went for a brisk walk this morning, it was brisk because it was super chilly brrrrrrrrrr.

Cushion is a disaster🙄 it is a draught excluder, WHAT?? not my intention at all and I don't want one!

Sooooooooo reason for walk was to purchase one, found a round one but have no idea of colour because I have some colour blindness so will have to wait until YD comes along.

Unit arrives today, am organised for it now, spent Sat doing touching up painting, moving and emptying the other one which is now in the hallway and is looking fab. Will send you a pic hee hee. YD came for the one that was in the hallway last night, she wanted it for her bathroom so everyone happy. And tidy.

YD's bedroom also had a tidy up so room is much more spacious looking.

Sorted almost for Xmas...........xx

JCJ

I take it back. They are not morons. They are wonderful people. My pension lump sum has landed! Tralalalalala. 🎶

In other news: parcel from the girls arrived this morning so we now have gifts under the tree from them. 😁🎁🎄Pretty amazing service when the whole of the UK (or at least England!) is frantically reorganising Christmas!!

JCJ

Och aye the noo! I always wanted to live in Scotland - even more so with current political shenanigans! - so I'm delighted my alter-ego has found her way there. What a shame I can't actually broom up for a visit?! 😊

Pension money not gone in to bank account yet. I checked. Twice. Received a payment invoice in the post this morning and they're STILL getting my name wrong even though I have corrected it. Several times. Even on the bank account name, (a joint account named with BOTH our names, but they've just put mine.... or their version of it 😖) They've put a 'y' in my first name and put it as my middle name. I've written to them, in the past about this and corrected my name everywhere it appeared on the claim forms. Filled in the bank details IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Morons. I was about to telephone the number on the invoice and let them have it.... when I spotted that the payment date on the invoice is 22/12/2020. Ah. I'll wait and see what happens tomorrow before losing my sh** on the phone! ☺️

I've promised the girls I will freeze the necessary meats and trimmings for both Christmas Dinner and some Boxing day pie (family tradition: ham, turkey and pigs in blankets in a tin of white wine sauce covered in bought puff pastry. Delicious and dead easy after the strains of Christmas Dinner cooking) Even if it is July when they can next visit, we'll have it. DIL says we can always wash it down with a nice chilled white wine if it's the middle of summer. 😁

Horrible dark, grey, damp day today, but at least the days start to creep longer after today.

I want to see this scarf, KTC. Is it super chunky? You knitted it very quickly! 

katytc

woo hoo for your plumbing skills😀!!

How good are you?

Such a shame about your girls though glad no horrible side effects. Such a lot to celebrate next year!

Sooooooooooooo will it be turkey every day until it's done?? You can't even put some in the shed cause I don't like it haha.

That sounds really lovely for your GD next year.

Because scarf was successful am now doing a cushion, easy stuff first.

Went into town this morning and beat the crazy queues everywhere thank goodness cause I was going to leave it till later but forecast is heavy rain and I coudn't be bothered getting drenched.

Now you have a doppelganger here JCJ, This lady is your double, unbelievable, had to do some double takes.............Thought you had used the broom for a flying visit, the only difference appeared to be a Scottish accent!! 

Riches arrived in your bank account?? Woo hoo xx

JCJ

Day started well. Pension letter arrived - actually a quicker response to my forms than I dared hope - lump sum goes in on Monday and pension payments start 31st December, back dated to July. Whoop! Untold (peanuts) riches!! 

However, thanks to tonight's announcement from Downing Street, I'm now on the What'sThePoint? bench, known also as the trying not to cry. I knew it was possible they may not be able to come but it is still a crushing disappointment. Ah well, that stops me stressing about whether DIL will still be contagious (infectious? I never did grasp the difference) or if I dare risk keeping the turkey in the (unheated) conservatory for 4 days. Just us then. And he's a miserable *** at Christmas! Ah well. We should be grateful we're all OK (still no symptoms fir DIL, YD or GD) and can look forward to celebrating when it's safe. 60th birthday, retirement do and now Christmas all postponed. It'll be a bumper year when/if we survive the pandemic?! 

YD is planning to do a Zoom meeting on Christmas morning when we can open presents 'together'. I've parcelled up everything postable (NOT the coffee syrups!) in a big box which I'll take to the Post office tomorrow. It's in our village supermarket, so open 8 til 8, 7 days a week: so handy! 

I'm glad I bought the 'wool' - in cheery festive Red and green - to knit an advent calendar for GD for next year. It's a brilliant design. Each pocket has a little knitted toy/ornament with a hanging loop to be hung on the tree. I shall cheer myself up by starting to knit that over Christmas. 

I fixed the dripping hot tap in the kitchen, today, that's been doing my head in for months. Hurrah. OH wouldn't let me before. He wanted to get a plumber in (even though I successfully fixed the cold tap) because we don't know how to turn the hot water off. In the end, I turned the water off and ran all the hot taps until the tank emptied. Sorted. 👍🏻😁

katytc

Aaaaargh, dropped a full muggatea all over floor yesterday and this morning dropped a muggacoffee all over kitchen unit, geez am annoying myself greatly..............

On a happy lala note, a very unexpected parcel arrived 2 mins ago, beautiful card and gift.

Gift under tree unopened, will keep for Xmas Day, which is soooooooooooo unlike me, am usually into everything haha. But am being super good this year!!!

So a very big thank you to my fellow Benchlander JCJ,  huge hugs, woo hoo for Xmas!!!! xx

katytc

aaaah that's disappointing JCJ, but as you say better to be safe than sorry. Glad DIL is fine, it's all just crazy.

At one point you will be altogether, that's the main thing and a great thing to look forward to.

Would def have a mini Christmas Dinner.

No I had two different things but the same dessert, honestly cannot resist, think I have said before meringue, banana, vanilla ice cream and a caramel sauce, it's truly delicious...........

Am really fussy with carbonara don't like it too wet, hope your tummy is better now.

My new sideboard arrives next week and I honestly don't know what I was thinking?? A couple of days before Xmas and will have to rearrange furniture etc, do you not have enough to do?? arrrgh. Am excited to have it but.............

It's rained every day here I think, so depressing, today it was semi dark all day long.

Remembered to order all meds and picked them up today, hurrah don't have to think about it now till middle of Jan.

Finished scarf turned out well, I enjoyed doing it but no plans for anything more adventurous haha. xx

JCJ

OK. There wasn't a Christmas menu (we can say the word now it is past Nov 5th: No fear of Santa being frightened/woken up by fireworks!) so what did you have? Did you have the same the second visit or try something else. I always find that a tricky dilemma: go with what I know is good or branch out?

I'm envious because we can't eat out at the moment as we're in Tier 3: delivery or takeaway only. 😐 We had takeaway from a pizza place after OH's swimming tonight. We've only ever had pizza from there before, on just a few occasions, and they've always been good, but tonight we tried the lasagne and a ham and bacon carbonara. Both tasty although it was a bit bizarre that they came with garlic naan - which was very greasy - rather than garlic bread. We struggled to eat them, in the car, with the plastic forks I keep in the door pocket (for takeaway emergencies) - perhaps it would have been easier if we'd brought it home! There is some left over that might make a nice lunch tomorrow but my stomach wishes I hadn't eaten it: probably way too much cheese and cream for me to digest without a gallbladder!! I felt a bit icky for a while! 

Disappointing news from YD. She phoned to say that DIL has had to have a Covid test for work and it's come back positive. 🙁 She is fine, but they will all have to isolate for 10 days - at least: if YD or GD test +ve in that time, or develop symptoms, then they'll have to reset the clock, so to speak. This means they won't now be coming here on Christmas Eve as that's the 10th day. They will see DIL's mum on Christmas Day and come here 26th - 28th....possibly. It is not a problem. We can still celebrate Christmas together, hopefully, but just not on Christmas Day. Technically, it's breaking the rules as they'll be here outside the official 5 day "window" specified, but as they will have been isolating - and we're not going anywhere! - it will be safe. That's if the rules don't change anyway due to the rampant infection rates!! And only if DIL - or either of the others - doesn't get ill. 🤞🏼Worrying times. YD is stressing about the fact that they could be at their home for Christmas and she's not got anything organised... and now can't go anywhere!! I said it's just a day: we can have that special day another time (trying to convince myself, as well as her!!) At least GD is too young to be disappointed. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I shall have to pick up the turkey as planned and it will be too big for our fridge.... or freezer... so I'll probably have to cook it Christmas Eve/Day anyway. Maybe we'll have a mini Christmas lunch and save the full roast beast feast for when they're here. If necessary, I suppose I could freeze the turkey once it's cooked and carved. Realistically, it could be months before they can come, if we have another lockdown after Christmas. 😡

Staying well that's the priority. Got to remember that. Keep positive. Grrrrrrr. 

katytc

Gosh that was a busy week JCJ😀!!

Quiet weekend? Dreaming about your new found wealth, woo hoo, tiara and ballgown successfully attired.

Pine cones are snow and glitter and tree is also snow covered sooooooooooooo................put them up anyway, you can see them if you are next to tree, hee hee! 

Out for late lunch yesterday, no C menu, WHAT???

Was lovely anyway.

Am out again tomorrow, same restaurant what are we like?

New hoover really good though at first I wasn't impressed...........then I realised lid wasn't on properly it's perfect, old hoover must have been on it's last legs for ages as this one sucks up every last crumb etc. Excited over a hoover? Who would have thought?

Scarf is halfway done, have not had any time to really do it, maybe that's best not too hard on the fingers. Have done it in stripes so not just plain haha. Had to look up you tube to figure out how to cast off, had completely forgotten!

Am away to search for those marbles xx

JCJ

Hurrah! Fireworks! Sparklers! Tiaras. Ballgown. Doc Martins. Glitterberry juice. Aliburgers. Paaaarty! Pension paperwork finally arrived this morning. The ones I was promised by the end of Last week!! If that is what "prioritising" looks like I feel sorry for everyone else.

The silver lining of the delay though is that after 6 months of nothing at all 4 1/2 peanuts a month seems like untold riches!! 😁

I filled everything in: maximum lump sum please and went to post it on my way to the chip shop. Also in my hand was a Christmas card for the chippy staff with a little "thank you for being the highlight of our lockdown weeks" note and a donation to their Christmas staff tip box. (In previous years, I've put my change in there every week in December, but this year we're not paying with cash!) I VERY nearly put this envelope into the post box instead of the pension one!! 😱 I'd have looked a proper idiot giving the pension one to the chip shop??! Senior moment indeed.