66.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

13,584 REPLIES 13,584
GIJaneH

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

I still have my tiara from Minehead!  Duly donned!  Hope  you managed a goodie bag and that all goes well with his discharge.  His friend is a good one...  bless him...

We're getting excited too.... Son texted at the beginning of the week to say their plans for this weekend may fall through, he had Friday booked off, and were we up for a visit maybe?  yes, yes and yes!  Plans duly changed and they are due lunchtime.  Woop woop!  No, Jane, control yourself, fingers crossed... DIL wasn't feeling well enough to drive yesterday (and son doesn't drive)... so hope she's better today... GD will be very excited.... as we are....  In a separate conversation Daughter apologised for not being up for a while and asked if she could visit this weekend!!!  (just overnight, but that'll be lovely too).  So, MAYBE full house tomorrow night!

Made my Pilates teacher laugh yesterday.  I had a short 1:1 booked, and I said "you'll have to be gentle with me this morning".  Full of concern, she asked if I was alright to do pilates  today... "Oh yes, I'm fine, but I had a cooked breakfast about an hour ago!!!"  She fell about!  It's all in the shed..... bacon, eggs, mushrooms, toms etc etc plus calorie free fried bread..  get it while it's hot!  Croissants too..

katytc

Tiara and ballgown on, that's very good news JCJ, fingers crossed all goes very well for him. Goodie bag is a great idea...........filled with his favourite things. Do you think you will be able to meet up?

Hopefully you will have signed all official documents, warning do not stand at top of stairs with OH behind you......hahahaha!!!

Didn't go out yesterday so am hoping to do so today, we only had a little rain despite all the warnings, long may that last. ooh yuck chuck the water.

Dentist tomorrow, just a clean, woo hoo, always feel great after that's done. 

Then Saturday have 2 GC, am babysitting, therefore hoping weather is ok so we can get out and about, have to think of ways to tire them out haha. xx

JCJ

Tiaras, party frocks, fireworks, glitterberry juice: just had a phone call from the hospital: ES is being discharged tomorrow!! 👏🏻👏🏻 He is anxious about going home so he's going to his friend's house for a few days. Friend is a bit apprehensive about it but we're only 1/2 hour away and I've told him to call us if necessary!! YD has suggested I take him some homemade goodies.

Talking of which, Katy, you needn't worry about the comestibles in Benchland: they won't be expanding your waistline! 😁

Heavy rain here, on and off, and it's a more comfortable temperature. The tarmac on our sunlounge roof was melting in the heat and dripping on the floor and door sill so we got someone in, yesterday, to look at it. He sealed the roof with an acrylic sealant (a swine to clean off the window sills where it splashed! 😠) Heavy downpour yesterday afternoon and now the water butts - filled off the roof, including that one - are full of cloudy water which I'm wary of using on the garden, in the pond or bird baths. May have to empty them and start again. Grrrr

Got to go. Solicitors appointment this afternoon to sign our wills and LPAs. I'll be glad to tick that job off. 

katytc

ooh all this lovely food, thank you, haha.

Tummy is already huge so what's a little more yummy yum going to do?

Had lunch out yesterday, was lovely, we keep going to same place because we know it's good.

Shame yours wasn't that tasty but lovely to have a catch up.

Rain has arrived here arrrgh, haven't missed it at all.

Have also been skateboarding, gymnastics and a little bit of cycling, also love olympics.

Was going to pop along to ED's today but really don't want to get drenched will see if there is any improvement later, she doesn't know I was coming so all ok there. Still no word from anywhere regarding 2nd jab, so we still have no idea what's happening arrrrrrgh xx

grumpy

My little westie cross jack russell is nearly 16, bless him. Deaf and almost blind, but his nose and legs work well.

The fatigue was due to palbociclib, so it was changed to tamoxifen six months ago, but I'm still worn out - I just hope things improve over time.

Just had a thunderstorm and heavy rain, so maybe it will cool down a bit.

Tea in the shed: pork in cream and paprika sauce, ginger sponge and custard for afters.

JCJ

Hurrah for no swelling! Try to pick a cooler day than I did to make your jam!! I now have 13 jars of blackcurrant jam, made on the hottest day because I needed the fruit out of the freezer before I went shopping. 😥

Glad you had a nice time at your YD's. Good to have a change of scene! 

It was fantastic to catch up with my friend but lunch was distinctly mediocre. It was one of those 2 for one menus where you think you're getting a bargain but actually everything is massively over-priced to start with. We had chicken burgers and they were very dry.

I'm loving watching the Olympics on tele. Last night, I watched some of the skate boarding and then had to resist the temptation to leap onto the banister rail and slide down it.... this was after watching the Taekwondo (sp?) and high kicking the recycling bin closed. 😁 Armchair athletes?!

Very glad it's been a little cooler these last few days but it's warming up again now. 

GIJaneH

Welcome home Katy!  Bacon roll sounds perfect.... hayfever is miserable...

We had brunch out this morning (as I didn't have Pilates and we were both free).  Got back, checked emails and found I HAD had Pilates!  Oh well... the eggs benedict were scrummy!

No swelling, thank God!

We picked blackcurrants when we got home.  Already done the red and white currants.  Jam soon, but I need more sugar first...

Time for feet up in the garden with a book I think....

katytc

Hope the new meds make you feel less fatigued grumpy.

Also hope no swelling for you Jane.

Good news no covid JCJ, also happy son is doing better and a plan is in place.

3 breakfasts out, shorts, doggies and food haha, sounds good to me.

Enjoy your lunch tomorrow JCJ.

Arrived back on Fri, was starving when I got off the train but couldn't be bothered making my way into town............as I was trundling along I noticed a small cafe near the bus station, so popped over, bacon roll ordered, yum yum. 

Later went into town, managed to pick up prescriptions and some food, woo hoo. Have two new prescriptions for eyes, will see how it goes. No hayfever at YD's but as soon as I returned home was coughing, choking and sneezing haha. Really??

Had a great time, mostly spent in the garden, weather has been wonderful, long may it last xx

GIJaneH

Hi Grumpy

What are you on?  Dog sounds fun! How old?  Ours are 11 and 12... I keep seeing pics of doggy cool mats.  Do they make hooman versions? 🤣

The change in temperature today is significant.  Off out with the dogs before it 🌧

We picked a load of runner beans last night and some courgettes.  Lovely dish with both, mashed tato, garlic, onion. Cheese, ham topped with breadcrumbs in the shed, along with summer pudding 

grumpy

Ladies, I have been wearing shorts (at home!!!) during this hot weather. I refer to them as Mature Ladies Shorts....

The small dog has been suffering in the heat, so not many walks but lots of playing out in the garden which is quite shaded. He has a new ritual - after a poo, he comes inside and does circuits round the sitting room with great glee! His age is showing a bit these days but he enjoys life even though he can't see or hear very well.

So pleased to hear everyone's good news, and I do hope the good things continue and improve all round.

I suffer from cancer fatigue quite severely but hope the change in meds will reduce this....

Grumpy xx

GIJaneH

For some reason I haven't had updates for days, and now an email arrives with so many updates!  Gremlins in the system...

SO pleased ES is improving and making progress...  hope neighbour is OK, and ED's single dose works.  Hope the lunch out is nice.  I've booked a couple of breakfasts out next week.  One with a friend, and one with OH, who mentioned that there was little space for him in my diary (he's not wrong, it was a reasonable observation!)

No serious side effects from treatment so far... tomorrow is the equivalent day the joints swelled up last time.  Fingers crossed and hands together!  However, I did manage to slip getting into the shower and have wonderfully colourful bruises to show for it!  Bit shaken up, and I've sprained middle finger and middle toe on left side, but I've bounced back.  The shock made me cry, and that was probably a good thing, cause I haven't shed a tear since diagnosis... lots came out....

Lovely, quieter week.  End of term lunch at school (as a governor), seeing friends for coffee and reading a book in the shade.  Too hot to do anything much else!  

I'm waiting for a nurse to ring me about something for fungal nail infection(s)... sent a message Tuesday.. hey ho!  Did I mention my GP rang out of the blue last week.  A new one, who's list I'm on... just to ask how I was, how treatment was going, how my mood was etc etc. Talked for 20-30 mins at the end of the surgery.  I was emotional at such care!  Call anytime he said (!)

Hope you're surviving the heat.  It's more pleasant today.  BBQ from the shed tonight x

JCJ

Next door neighbour's daughter has covid. She was visiting at the weekend so NDN has to isolate. She's 79 and terrified. I am trying to reassure her that being doubly vaccinated - as is her Daughter - should stop her getting too ill, and may have prevented her even being infected. Her D says she just feels fuzzy headed, like she's got flu.

I had to fetch NDN's prescription for her, yesterday, so I picked up some LFT self-test kits while I was in the chemist. Mine was negative last night. Phew. NDN's D arranged for a PCR self test kit to be sent to her and I posted it back for her. Cross everything! All this time and I didn't know anyone who'd been ill with it and now it seems to be everywhere! 😕

Hopefully, your ED's single dose will give her some protection even if she's not able to have the 2nd. I wonder if one of the other vaccines might be an option? 

Glad you've sorted out your phone call problem. I hate having to make those sort of calls! 

Booked a pub lunch, next Monday, with the teacher I worked with for last 2 years. So excited. I was feeling a bit grumpy today because the schools break up and I'm missing out on the end of term euphoria: 6 gloriously empty weeks ahead. Had to have stern words with myself - I'm lucky to have infinite "no get ups", not just 6 weeks! 

ES is still improving. Still in hospital but they've started the slow rehabilitation process. Let's hope it all goes OK so he can be out of there soon. Whether or not he maintains contact with us is entirely up to him. I just want him better and happy - well, nobody is happy all the time are they? Mostly content then. 😊

Love my new t shirt and one of the pairs of shorts (don't panic, ladies, not too revealing of the aged, saggy, limbs because they're knee-length!) but I'm not sure about the 2nd, more expensive, pair. There's something odd about the fit and they're just a weeny bit shorter than the others which isn't a problem until I sit down! I'll try them on again tonight to get a 2nd opinion - from myself! 😝- before deciding whether to send them back.

HOT here, too, but luckily we've got some breezy, shady spots in the garden that I've been spending most of the time in.... and it was wonderful in S********'s today with aircon and all those freezers/chillers. I was almost cold!! 

katytc

Am hoping no covid for you JCJ, did you have a test?? Oh my?

ED was meant to have 2nd dose but wasn't allowed because of her allergic reaction she has to wait until they speak to whoever. Said her reaction maybe worse second time and they couldn't take the risk.

Phone call today everything is fine whew! Apologies accepted, so no more calls to make for the time being. Relief is huge cause one and a half hours trying to sort 3 times is excruciating haha.

Purple is so pretty.

Am still at YD s, weather is beautiful but oh so hot....

Can't complain after so many cold weeks xx

JCJ

Hope your phone calls have produced the required results. 

The clematis is purple and is supposed to flower from May to September so it should look great in amongst the ivy.

(Tried to put a photo in but it's not playing ball tonight. Grrr)

Hope your treatment is being effective, Jane, without too many side effects. 🤞the swollen joints will be avoided.

The other retiree from Wednesday's afternoon tea texted me tonight to ask if I'd been pinged by the covid app, because she has! I've been having my "loony" head problem - dizziness if I get up too quick or move my head quickly - which I've had, occasionally, for years. Originally, I hought it was due to the anaemia I had the first time but it might be an ear problem. Anyway  it always passes,  by itself, after a few days, but of course now I'm worrying if it's covid, even though it's already improving. Friend says I should get a test. Maybe I'll pick one up when I collect my prescription tomorrow.

Roast duck legs with orange gravy and all the roastie trimmings in the shed  (goes marvellously with the beetroot, thank you!) followed by raspberries, ice cream, chocolate sauce and shortbread biscuits.

Next time you go out for dinner, Katie, order dessert instead of a main....that way you won't miss out on it. 😜

katytc

haha, thought I was being "bad" spending, spending but think you have beaten me..........

That was a lovely day JCJ, made your retirement special at last. Who would have thought it would have taken so long? Bet realistically you are so glad you don't have to return to work after the holidays and you can now clip your hedges etc instead, haha.

What colour is your clematis? Love them.

Glad treatment went well even though it was long, fingers crossed all will be well.

Will nip into shed for the beetroot soon. yum!

Went out for dinner, was very yummy, funny to be out in the evening haha. No one else wanted a dessert so I had to also decline because was not going to munch huge dessert on my own, would not have been right, just came home and ate chocolate instead. Another booked for next month.

So wore new shoes that night and sandals yesterday, woo hoo!

Was hot yesterday here but really windy, not a cooling wind though.

Went to bed in the afternoon and was reading book, fell off to sleep, bliss. Did also sleep very well last night, think I'm exhausted from the phone calls, 1 and a half hours on Fri am hoping it's done. Ridiculous.

Off to YD's this week, am hoping weather stays good, makes such a difference. xx

GIJaneH

such a good thing Benchland is guilt-free!!!  enjoy all the new things.. comfy sandals are a must, not a luxury!

SO pleased the lunch was a success, and that you felt valued.  Hope ES continues to progress...

Treatment was long yesterday but fine.  Lovely nurse.  I don't feel like I have flu today, so that's great.  Hoping the steroids will stop the joints filling up.  That was a week later last time, so fingers crossed.

lovely hot weather!  BBQ in the shed, with home grown honey and thyme roasted beetroot..

JCJ

You're in the right place to not feel guilty 😁

Throw that guilt to the alligators.

It makes me feel better because I've spent more than I should today....especially with a holiday to finish paying for, next week (September cottage in Bishops Castle). 

I had my retirement afternoon tea, yesterday. It was so strange being back at school as a guest but lovely to see everyone. We had tables set out on the playground with cloths and china tea cups, plates, teapots and milk jugs. Everyone sat with their teaching bubble colleagues on separate tables and the other retiree and I were on the "top table". All very posh. Sandwiches, cocktail sausages, mini pork pies, mini scotch eggs, chicken skewers and jam and cream scones. Yum. We were all very polite so there was loads left over which I bet they had for lunch today!

The teacher I worked with, for the past 2 years, left when I did, to go to our sister school. She was meant to come to the afternoon tea but had to cancel at the last minute because one of her class tested +ve for Covid so they've all got to isolate. Apparently, the infection rate is very high around here. Fingers crossed the vaccine does its stuff and we stay safe.

I got a massive bouquet of flowers (2 big vases full!) and a garden centre voucher. I spent the latter on a new pair of shears - I've been hacking at the hedge with a k******** old pair the last 2 days! - and a clematis to grow up the support, for the ivy, that I bought last week:  Something practical and something pretty; good memento of my colleagues. 😀

I had to add to the voucher to buy both and I also bought myself lunch - to eat at home. Then I came home and ordered 2 pairs of shorts and a t shirt, (from my favourite online company that *trades* in *cotton* items!) to replace one faded, tatty looking pair of shorts....well it was 15% off if you spent £30....... and while I'm paying the postage.....?!

katytc

Am trying not to feel guilty............

Went down and bought shoes, out of the corner of my eye I spotted sandals, tried them on, oh so comfy so they came home with me too! They were reduced so how could I resist.................xx

katytc

That's very good news JCJ, fingers crossed everything goes well, lovely that you had a good chat too, lifts your heart xx

Hope you have managed to buy some cheaper insurance, I do shop around now after being with a company for 35 years and they could give me no more discount WHAT?? That was the end of them (home insurance) am now paying a third of what their best was. Was only 5 when I took it out haha.

It is totally toastie here today, went into town earlier, picked up new prescriptions woo hoo, hayfever driving me crazy so swallowed tab as soon as I returned home. Had a call from doc as optician had written to them so am going to have new eye drops, one kind for during the day and one for night time. The ones I have make my eyes feel gloopy so am not using which is obviously not a good idea. Fingers crossed they will be much better.

Walking past a shoe shop saw lovely pair of shoes, came home and checked them out online, love them so am going back down today to buy them. Have lots of shoes but have been sticking with a pair I have had for years, wear them everywhere in the summer and they are oh so comfy. You can't get that style any longer, boo hoo so am hoping these are just as good. Am sooooooooo excited.

YD phoned and asked if I wanted to go on holiday with her next year just the three of us, we were all meant to be going on a big family holiday, was a little worried because I know so many people would be difficult for her so feel actually relieved that it will just be us. That means I will have 2 foreign holidays woo hoo!! That's if we are ever allowed to go haha. 

Still having to do phone calls, am hoping tomorrow will be the last, so very fed up a blip in the system that's the latest, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, and it's not something I can just leave arrrrrrrrrrgh.

Lemon curd cakes in the shed, yum yum. Have eaten so many choc gingers they are off the menu for a while xx

JCJ

Glad you dodged the physio, Katy, and have something for if/when it "goes" again.

Sorry the doggies are giving you the run around again, Jane. Maybe a few more nights (not) sleeping on the floor will make OH relent and let them sleep in your room. 🤔😜

Good luck with the bloods results. 

You have reminded me that I need to shop around for my car insurance before next month. I switched it to my new car but had to pay quite a bit more because the car was only 3 years old - compared to 14 year old fiesta - and had to start a new policy but couldn't shop around then because I was sitting in the "new" car, on the garage forecourt, waiting to drive it away! I loathe shopping around for insurance. The last few times I bothered it only saved me £12: a saving that would be completely obliterated by losing the 10% discount on the house insurance with the same company! Must do it this time though. And book its MOT. 🤞🏼

Much better news about ES. He's taking the meds. I just spoke to him on the phone. He sounds so much more like his old self. 😁 He's been out today for a little while with his friend: 1st time off the ward in 6 weeks! 1 week leave planned, with friend, for next week, hopefully; would have been sooner but friend on holiday, in Norfolk, this week with his family! (what a friend!! ES had better be *****y grateful to him!!) I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying the crisis seems to be over. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 I suspect he'll do everything he can to avoid ever having to go back somewhere like that again!! 

katytc

Hope blood tests results are good today Jane.

Brilliant saving, woo hoo!

Yum yum curry, great it was quiet too, no rush then. Am partial to the madras, love nan and roti breads too.

Well, sat down with a muggatea and saw that you had posted, just reading and managed to spill whole muggatea all over my laptop, have no idea why it's still working...............

Was just about to write I had "done" nothing at all this morning, to be fair mopped all tea up and am still doing nuffing, haha.

Oh so CBA'd.......

Am not having physio, would have been so silly and complete waste of their time and mine. Have been to physio many times before and the last times my pelvis would tilt after every session and would have to return to have it put back into place a couple of days later. Too much haha . Funnily spoke to someone yesterday and she was given same advice. So am assuming reception are being told to do this. Have been given an opioid which I feel a little concerned about but will only ever use when muscles seize. Also have new hayfever tablets asked for one with minimal side effects if possible fingers crossed they will work cause woke up coughing and choking this morning haha.

Have to start phone calls again tomorrow arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

ED and family off on their holiday, videos of kids running around all excited, lovely.

Hot, hot here again today, have still not used my new chair may give it a shot today, we'll see.

Have been reading more recently, The Hypnotist's Love Story at the moment, am enjoying xx

GIJaneH

Thanks for the tip JCJ!  I have learned something....

How annoying about the physio Katy.  Stick to your guns...  I was talking to a spine specialist physio at the weekend (at Pilates, not hospital) and she said that there is evidence now to show that patient experience is more reliable than a CT scan!  Listen to the patient!  Who'd have thought it!!!!

The dog is being a pain again.  Won't settle; wakes up early.  We have new herbal stuff... trying not to use the vet stuff cause they said he would be worse when he comes off it.  He's only sleeping for about 4 hours a night... not quite enough for us!!!  I've tried lavender oil... dog calming music....   OH completely exhausted today from (not) sleeping on the floor near the crate...

I get the results of blood tests today.  After a busy 10 days, things in today's diary seem to be cancelling themselves... not a bad thing.

I had a chicken Tikka masala on Sunday and it was absolutely yummy.  Left overs in the shed....  We were the only people there!  There was a real flurry for take-aways just before 8pm!!!

Just got my car insurance renewal... shopped around and cancelled the original cover!  Almost £200 more expensive than what I bought!  To be fair, the renewal letter actually says "you've been with us for some time, you may get cover cheaper if you shop around".  Not noticed that before.  £200 is worth having!

Time to take something back to M&S.... have a good day xx

katytc

You are a right "spoiler" Jane haha.

Glad you have been feeling better despite the loo visit and the fall and doggies are behaving, all good.

What did you have at Indian restaurant? Love curries, yum yum.

Went to chippie last night, prob still could have the leftovers in the shed if there are any?? haha.

Oh my goodness hope things are a little quieter for you now JCJ............my friend's OH also takes hundreds and hundreds of photos and it drives her wild so had to laugh. You are sooooooooo organised. Nothing worse than losing a wallet.

Just phoned docs and reception said I would have to have an appt with physio, WHAT?? I said I have experienced this many times before, I know what it is and why it happened so have to phone back later, grrrrrrrrrrr. I'm not going to physio..........look at my records??

Have spent my time sending emails and lots of phonecalls recently so am completely fed up at the moment, worst is I know that I will have to do it all again soon to see if things have been followed up, arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

So am working my way off the grumpy, moany bench and proceeding to the CBA bench as quickly as I can xx

JCJ

When you are replying to a post, Jane, underneath the text box is a "view discussion in pop up" link which opens the whole thread in another window. Then you can see previous posts as well as the last one. I used that a lot in our mad pantomime days! 😁

ES is in hospital in Luton because he lives near Bedford. We are 2 hours away, in the Midlands.

Glad you're feeling "Normal". Long may it continue.... don't overdo the apricot consumption!! 😜

I picked a 2l ice cream tubful of blackcurrants off the 2 bushes OH bought me for my birthday last year. There are more that still need to ripen so I'll definitely be able to make jam. Hurrah! 

GIJaneH

Spoiler
oooh... that all sounds exhausting!  Hope you enjoy(ed) the space....

So pleased the wallet was found (shame it wasn't BEFORE you cancelled cards etc, but  hey, you found it).

I won't tell you all that I've fitted in, cause I'll exhaust you.  Suffice it to say that THIS WEEK I feel more or less normal (whatever that is!)  Managed to settle dogs without medication for the last couple of nights.  I do a training thing online for/with dogs.  OH doesn't agree with it, thinks it's a rip off.  But he hasn't engaged with other types of trainers we've tried over the years, so I finally said "I will fit in with whatever you decide to do, but doing nothing and moaning about them is not an option".  We'll see...

Like you, I've hardly seen any Wimbles.....  trying to for a couple of hours this afternoon...

I think I'd be lost without my Kindle, which somehow seems to have over 200 undread books on it.... have you come across BookBub?

I fell in the woods this morning, walking the boys.  Nothing major done, but it does shake you up, and my knee is  reminding me it's there.  Having finally beaten the constipation (lots of apricots on holiday) I had an hour of diarrhea 3-4 am last night.  I'd been up watching Call the Midwife from 1-2, so I'm a bit tired this morning... Where's the k******* bench gone?

Neither of us are footie fans, so we've booked to go to the local Indian restaurant tomorrow night, on the assumption it'll be really quiet!

You mentioned Luton.  Is that where ES is, or is it near you, or just on the way?  I only mention, cause I'm not that far from Luton...

Have a good weekend... So pleased you're not forbidden any more!!!

The way things work on the computer, I can only see one previous post, and I can't remember much of what you said Katy, other than the back... hope it really DOES improve... and that you get away again soon...

ttfn

JCJ

Tried to reply yesterday, and earlier today, but it wouldn't let me log in "forbidden"!! I thought it was because I reported a strange post - about electrolytes in sports drinks and doing squats - which didn't seem to belong in Benchland and the username appeared to be advertising . That post has now gone but I thought the forum had banned me too by mistake! Panic over. Here I am! 😊

I hope you get back from the other city with minimum stress, Katy and that you enjoyed your visit.

You have been busy, Jane! Don't overdo it! I had to linger a little longer (lovely alliteration there?. .. once a Y6 Teaching Assistant, always a Y6 TA 😁) on the K******** bench just reading about your busy day!! (Well, that's my excuse!)

OH insisted on going out on Wednesday, so much for my afternoon on the CBA bench watching the tennis! (I've seen hardly any this year. The irony. 1st year of retirement and I've been able to watch less than when I was working!) We went to sawmill to get some wood; called in at a big garden centre to look at trellis - desperately slow walking and then he keeps stopping to photograph flowers: his latest obsession grrr; went to post the book OH promised to take to ES and forgot and then he realised he'd lost his wallet!!! Can one man be any more annoying?! Frantic search of car, and house. Phone calls to saw mill (closed) and garden centre. I drove back to sawmill to check the verge. Cancelled all his bank cards. Stress. Stress. Stress. Just what I needed after Tuesday?! 😠

Yesterday was a better day. Phoned sawmill and they had the wallet safe and sound: he'd left it on the counter!! I went to collect it while he was at the library and called in at garden centre, on the way back, to purchase a plant support I'd seen, instead of trellis, to support the ivy and stop it destroying the neighbour's new fence.  It took 5 mins to put it in the garden - so much less hassle than erecting posts and trellis - and it looks great. 

Solicitors in the afternoon. Wills rewritten (that's been needing doing for years) and Lasting Power of Attorney, both financial and medical, done for both of us (that's been hanging over us since the beginning of the pandemic, when solicitors wrote to us to say our Enduring PofAs were no longer legal/valid). We were bracing ourselves for a huge bill but they've (allegedly?) got a half price offer for the whole of July (which we would have missed if we'd not postponed the June appointment due to ES!!) so we were very pleasantly surprised and it's such a relief to finally get that sorted. Just got to go back to sign everything in a week or so. 

Also, yesterday, I got my kindle (other....) back, fixed. I accidentally stepped on it, in its case, in the tent and damaged the screen: 1/4 of it was unreadable. So upset. I sent it to a guy I found on Mr Futon's website, on Monday. I had an email, while we were on the train back, on Tuesday, to say it was fixed and they'd post it back as soon as I sent payment. I paid straight away and kindle arrived back on Thursday. What a brilliant service!! Love the Internet and smart phones!! 

OH is off to Buxton, this afternoon, with his friend to see a concert tonight. I am sooooo looking forward to having the house to myself for a few hours!! 😁

katytc

Aah so sad JCJ, the plus is he wanted you both there, sending huge hugs x

Wow Jane that's super duper busy...

Glad doggy seems calmer.

Am just at YD's in another city not too far, train was excellent, busy but everyone was far apart, was actually great, an easy journey...

Yours sounds horrific JCJ daunting def.

Sitting quietly at the moment as they are both out for a walk, meant to be a short one but they have been gone for ages. Coming home tomorrow as this is just a quick visit, will be back later this month. 

Back is a little better today, am hoping this is nearing the end, kinda woo hoo xx

GIJaneH

Budge up on the K****** bench!  So sorry your visit was so stressful, and that ES is still so poorly.  mental health feels harder to treat than physical illness  I often think.  So helpless...

Where are you off to Katy?  Hope back survives....

Well, vet gave us a tablet, but said we need to see a behaviourist (OH isn't interested...)  and I took them for a slow, sniffy walk (cause I heard that sniffing is calming for dogs) and found some "dog calming music" on Spotify, so we went to bed with that playing... and they slept...  no fuss goign to bed.. no whining in the morning!!  Yay!  Fingers crossed for tonight!

Busy day today... wrote sermon ( nearly)  made lemon curd (in shed) 1 and a quarter hours in dentist chair (crown prep) BBQ with friends  Work meeting for an hour, walk dogs.. hence the K*** bench.  Actually, I'm just off to bed... 

JCJ

Home. Very exhausting and emotionally draining day. 6 trains. 8 stations. 2 taxis. Hospital. Starbucks. Mask on the whole time. 😷😒 ES is still very unwell. He's refusing to take his meds and is paranoid. Very upsetting. We did get to join his meeting with Drs which was tense!

I hope your train(s) are as empty as ours were, Katy, makes travelling so much easier. Only had our tickets checked once (apart from barriers at Luton) and then he didn't ask to see (mandatory) seat reservation tickets. We came back earlier than our booked trains but no problem. Empty trains. No-one checking tickets. All very strange!

Good news that you can get something to help with your back. Also glad that you got home safe, Jane. Hope the little doggy settles soon and you don't have to drug him...or OH 😛....to help him sleep.

I'll be on the K******* bench until further notice. xx

katytc

Glad you arrived home safe and well despite thunderstorms etc.

Aaaah poor little GD and sad doggy, hope fully doggy behaves this evening haha.

Cheese munched, thank you.

Back still not happy but is getting better, asked chemist and he said phone doc as they will give you a muscle relaxant unfortunately this was after 3 today and there was no way I could contact them then wait for a doc to sign a prescription would have been fine but am off early tomorrow so will just have to grin and bear it. It's really good news and think I will do it when I come back because would be great to have something at home when this happens.........

Decided to chop off hair, was really getting on my nerves so it's done. When I came home and removed mask, well, wowee it is short!! 

Was about to leave supermarket and couldn't believe what I was seeing, torrential, bouncing rain arrrrrrrrgh. Ended up very wet and cold had to put heating on, geez in July?? 

YD's birthday tomorrow so there will be cake in the shed, not sure what kind yet xx

GIJaneH

We got home, via Newcastle to pick up the dogs.  GD thought we were going to stay for a few days, so when we and the dogs left after a cuppa apparently she howled for 15 mins!  Bless...

Not the best journey, with thunderstorms, standing water and the sort of rain you can't see through, along with wide loads and speed restrictions, but we got here....

little dog wouldn't settle. OH ended up sleeping on cushions near the crate, because he just would NOT calm down.  Likewise last night.  Son & co had them in their bedroom... which is where they reallly want to be, and we really don't want them to be!  Little one has the habit of leaving the odd wee or poo around if he's loose, and we have new carpet in the hall that we wouldn't see any wee until we smelt it (urgh!) So he's not going loose... and if OH won't have him in the bedroom (easier carpet to monitor)... I'll talk to the vet today and see if we can get him a tranquiliser or sleeping tablet!!! (Dog, not OH)

So pleased ES wants to see you.  Hope the journey goes OK.

Best talk to GP sooner rather than later?

New bathroom sounds good.  They will minimise time without basic facilities - got friendly neighbours???

Lovely sunshine here yesterday, so we cracked on with the washing and the gardening.  So pleased we did, it's pouring today!  

Off out in it to walk the dogs, so I'll be sitting on the Soggy Bench....

Take care...  Northumberland cheeses in the shed... (yum)

katytc

Thank you for dinner as always, yum yum!

Good news about visiting son, fingers crossed all goes well, will you be able to speak to doctors?? so you know what's what.

Will be off on train journey too this week, bit scary haha. You can ask at railway station or when you are on train for assistance and they will do their best to help. They make sure you get to next platform without the worry of missing a train.

Still not great, am hoping out of system completely by tomorrow, back is not great either fingers crossed all calms very soon. Will never take them ever again.

New bathroom woo hoo, how exciting😀

Perhaps after Tuesday you can phone doc about thumb, best not to leave too long.

Poured with rain all day here, yuck xx

JCJ

Ya boo shucks for SEs, Katy. At least you figured out what was making you feel yuck. Hope you're much better now.

As to being scared to go out: you just need some summery long sleeved tops and trousers/long skirts and a big floppy hat and you'll be quite safe. You might look like a hippy but that sun won't get you! 😁 And let's face it, up there, it's not a problem on too many days?!! 😛

Hope you got home safe, Jane, and that you are suitably refreshed after your holiday. I hope the week ahead isn't too exhausting/stressful. 

We are going to visit ES on Tuesday!! He wants us to go because he's fed up of being in there and we're the ones who can get him out. We had originally planned to make a trip of it and stay overnight in a hotel but when I started to try to book somewhere I realised OH won't use a lift and can't manage too many stairs (which rules out Norecambe TravelDodge!😉) making online booking a bit difficult. Then I started to worry about Covid. Train, hospital AND hotel probably pushing our luck?! The journey is only 2 hours, by train, so we might as well come back the same day. Gives us a day to recover before our solicitors appointment - to sort out Power of attorney for each other and update our wills (because one of our original executors is now deceased and the other not up to it any more) - on Thursday. Train tickets are booked. We decided that OH will probably cope better with that than 2 hours of motorway in James's (or my) car. 2 changes but each train is less than half an hour. I have put all the times, platform numbers and number of stops into my phone so it will be as stress-free as possible. No huge stations to navigate in a hurry either. OH won't let me book assistance! 

I was intending to phone Dr's, about my thumb, this week and also finally get around to ordering a new bathroom but maybe that's too much for one week?! Our toilet is driving me nuts. It is very noisy, takes aaaages to refill the tank, uses FAR too much water and doesn't even flush properly. Going to spend some of my pension lump sum (ew! No pun intended) to get it replaced, along with the sink, (as the taps won't stop dripping and the plumber couldn't replace them) and the manky, smelly, ancient carpet has got to go too. Been putting it off for ages, partly due to lockdown but mostly because I can't face the upheaval of being without our only loo for however long it takes!! 

Lamb roast dinner in shed, with all the usual accompaniments along with bread and butter pudding made partly with stale hot cross buns. Nom nom nom. 

katytc

So pleased you have both enjoyed your breaks, just lovely to get away😀!

Glad OH coped too, makes life so much easier.

Motorised is the way to go Jane.

Have been quiet because have felt sooooooo yuck, was really perplexed as to why?? Finally figured it out, the only change is the hayfever tablets, checked list of symptoms and had 8/10 of side effects and believe me they were awful. Picking up today, hurrah! Because have been lying about so much can hardly move back is a little ouchy but def on the mend.

Sooooooo have been on the super not doing anything bench and will have to get moving asap, well, just another muggatea perhaps???? Or two?? haha. xx

GIJaneH

Fantastic!  Well done!  So pleased you managed it, and that OH coped.  It sounds worth the effort...

We're beginning to clean/pack bits ready for the journey home tomorrow...

Anything in the shed?

JCJ

Home. Now sitting in the swimming pool car park, waiting for OH, while YD tackles her 4 hour drive home. The view is nowhere near as good as the one from our field! 🙁

YD says it's done her good: she's not been so relaxed in over 2 years. I loved it too and feel so grateful that we get on so well together. I hope it won't be the last. OH seems to have managed OK by himself too!

20210629_213328.jpg

GIJaneH

We get some gorgeous sunsets here.  This was last night.   We went to Alnwick Gardens,  as we were dog free and it was stunning. I put my big girl pants on.  It's built on a fairly steep hill, so I allowed myself to order a wheelchair,  cause I wouldn't have had enough puff.  Worked well...oh did a great job!  Next time I would hire a motorised buggy though!

Daughter and girlfriend arrive tomorrow for the night.   They are camping at the moment,  getting to son's tonight,  us tomorrow. That'll be good.   Then home Sunday,  and a fairly full diary next week...

Local strawberries and cream in the shed...

katytc

Oooooh am so envious of you two, glad you are having fun!

Tent looks great, hope you are munching sardine sandwiches and drinking lots of ginger beer. Get into the spirit of things indeed.

ED will be off in the next couple of weeks, just in UK she was saying that price has now tripled do you not find that ridiculous???

Glorious sunshine here but am hiding indoors am not comfortable after my little scare, will need to get over it though and just lather myself in sun cream.

Had my lido yesterday so had usual symptoms last night, feel so much better today. Been into town super early and have just sat on the CBA bench ever since, will be on there for the rest of the day haha. xx

JCJ

PS Don't want to tempt fate but......weather perfect: some sun, some cloud so it doesn't get too hot but no strong winds or rain.......yet. Not sure how this tent would be in "weather"!🤞

JCJ

We're here only until Friday. Wish it were longer but neither of us felt we could leave our home responsibilities for more than 3 (4) days.

YD currently sprawled on a blanket in front of the tent revelling in the toddler-free peace. Although I did just pretend to jump on her shouting "MAMA!!" so she didn't get too homesick. 😂

Gorgeous sunset the first night. Long walk yesterday above Matlock with a walk to the pub for dinner in the evening followed by hours just sitting in our field. Bliss.

Carsington Water for lunch and a walk today......if we can drag ourselves away. The CBA bench is even more tempting here!! 🤣

Safe trip home, Jane.

Hope you're OK, Katy.

GIJaneH

• Whoopee!  Hope the weather holds for you.  How long are you there?

Lovely sunset here the other night but the weather is now cold,  cloudy and threatening rain 

Tiffin in the shed... 

JCJ

Can't quite believe it but we're actually here!!

OH happily chatting to friend when we left so that was good. 

Weather fab ......at the moment!

20210629_203013.jpg

GIJaneH

Camping!  Leaving do! Holiday!

Sorry the injection didn't work, but whoopee that you haven't been forgotten...hope you enjoy that when it comes

Great that oh is remembering the trip...hope it all works,  and that ES is making progress...

We've had some sunshine followed by 2 days of being buffeted by wind and rain!  That arrived when the kids did 🥴  they leave today, but fortunately yesterday was good again, so oh built sandcastles while I sat on a rock and watched.  Lovely. Much energy was consumed trying to fill the moat with sea water 😁  the dogs go with them today. Peace and quiet for a few days 😌

Have a good week xx

JCJ

Ooh! Haven't had a cherry bakewell in years! Somewhat put off them when my friends and I worked a week at Kipplings (other.....): they were in charge of putting the cherries on the top of cherry bakewells. Not a pleasant job, apparently. The stickiness lingers....and gets EVERYWHERE!

I had an invitation to afternoon tea, at school, after school on 14th July. My, much delayed, leaving do!! I had assumed that wouldn't happen now that it's been a year. They haven't forgotten after all. 😊 I'm hoping that the other TA, who retired at the same time is also invited...(it's a bit awkward to ask her?!)

My thumb is no better. Cortisone didn't work at all. Got to keep wearing the splint. Once we're back from our little camping expedition (so excited 🤞🤞🤞) I'll phone Drs again. Probably have to go on waiting list for surgery. OH wants me to get it done privately but I'm not sure about how I feel about that.

Gammon tonight, with all the usual roast accompaniments, followed by crumble and custard.

Ah. YD just messaged. Zoom time! 😁

katytc

Oooh the beach sounds wonderful, enjoy your meal, glad dog is behaving haha.

And another oooh for next week, let's hope weather is good, great OH has some things organised, keep him busy, haha.

Eye test went fine, 2 new pairs of glasses, tiny change but I did notice a difference when she put new lenses in, a lot sharper. Bleph def confirmed, there are 2 types and I have them both, arrrrrgh, so have to keep using stuff forever, optician says I have a 50/50 chance of the redness calming down, will have to wait and see.

Left house early this morning so must tidy up soon, purchased 2 books and 2 jigsaws so am on the happy bench. 

GD here tomorrow, then a half day on Thurs, won't know what to do with myself?? 

Not sure am liking hair slightly longer, will give it a couple of weeks, then decide.

Cherry bakewells in the shed and of course the choc gingers, another muggatea then get up and get on xx

GIJaneH

Just caught up with the camping trip. Woo hoo!  Hope weather improves for next week... 

I'll keep my eyes peeled for marbles...

GIJaneH

Hope the eyes get sorted OK today...

And that ES is OK 

We're enjoying the peace,  the view, the walks along the beach. Though I can't go very far with my breathlessness It's still lovely. Lots of reading. The added bonus is that small dog, who starts whining at 5-5.30 every morning is sleeping in till 7.7.30!  What a bonus!

OHs birthday tomorrow,  so nice meal out....

Hope you're weeks are OK xx

JCJ

Camping Tuesday 29th for 3 nights. Still on for Peak District. 😀 OH has arranged for (swimming) friend to visit on the Tuesday and drive him to swimming for 4pm. OH thought we were going Monday! But that'll be good because YD will still get to see her dad before we head off. She'll need a break having driven all the way over from Norwich, and I'll need to transfer her stuff to my car, but we can't hang around too long.

It's freezing here today. Longest day tomorrow and we nearly put the heating on this afternoon! Brrrr! It is NOT camping weather! It had better pick up before next week. (But it won't: YD & I almost always jinx the weather!!)

Chicken dinner in shed, with Lemon Swiss roll (local bakery), raspberries and raspberry sorbet for afters. 

katytc

And no..............have been thinking it's Sunday today, was loitering around the shed earlier haha.

Am still obviously on the hunt for the missing marbles.........xx

katytc

Thank you for mentally rooting hee hee, was on the edge of my seat. It's really not good for you haha.

When will your camping trip be? How long for? 

We had no rain here until late late evening yesterday, woo hoo. Went out with GS for a long walk, he was super good because last time they were here it took about an hour to walk less than 20 yards (keeps stopping and picking up sticks and stones) This time we were marching along haha, he kept close, stopped at the traffic lights, good boy! Plans changed and instead of oldest GS and GD staying over I only had youngest who wasn't meant to be here at all haha.  Due to leave soon. YD asked if I could come and stay at hers so that will be my holiday this year.

Will need to rest after this last week, just a bit hectic, prob be latter part of July.

Eyes are being done on Mon, since taking hayfever tablets eyes don't look as though I have been crying for days and days, so we will see what they say. Am paying extra for a super thorough exam, not available on the NHS. Only costs £10 but really think it should be for all..........Am due new glasses too arrrgh.

Fingers crossed for your son JCJ, you know he is safe and having the treatment and care he requires, hard to relax though but you will have lots of laughs with YD, what are you two like?? xx