69.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

13,788 REPLIES 13,788
GIJaneH

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

FOOD important!  Purchasing it and eating it!  The egg sandwich sounds HORRID.... hope you find another favourite...

Great about the eyes and driving

Wisdom not to go into school...

Jacket - are you pleased with it now you've got it?

I spent 40 mins waiting for an appointment at an NHS clinic in Kingsway... Nurse phoned me eventually, she was in Queensway, in a different town!!!!  Oooops!

We cleaned out our wormery this afternoon, then I had to wash hands loads of times before visiting a housebound old lady (cause the aroma was pungent!!!)  Changed clothes too...

Teddies look good....

Great to hear from you all again xx

katytc

Oooh that sounds lovely Jane, a treat indeed.

Excellent news regarding eyes grumpy and glad Joey is on the mend, woo hoo.

Love the teddy costumes JCJ so will GD haha.

So disappointing about cafe, sounds delicious, NOT............yuck.

Have jacket so was not a pretend deal hurrah, still can't quite believe it, there was only 1 left to order and I "got" it so cannot share any details haha.

Did not even broach holiday with YD, lots going on through there and would be too much for her to handle so will eventually talk to her, perhaps??

Sunshine here but it's awfully cold, am going into town later, hopefully just a wander about and some food purchasing, badly needed. xx

JCJ

Hurrah! Yippedy Doo Dah! Paaaarty! Great news about the eyes and driving, grumpy. That must be a huge relief. Enjoy your holiday with friends.

I avoided school again today and, apparently that was a wise decision because, when I let the HT know, she said the Covid situation there is worse than last week! I expect it will be after half term before I go again. 🤨

I went into our local small market town. I had lunch in what used to be my favourite café. Not any more. It's changed owners and they've ruined it. I ordered an egg sandwich on brown - OK, so I didn't specify egg mayonnaise but I was pointing on the menu to the egg mayo sandwich - but, what he brought me was a very unappetising fried egg plonked between 2 slices of bread which were then cut in half. No butter (I know you'd be happy with that part, Katy! 😛) One half of the "sandwich" was just slimy egg white and bread. Yuk. Also, the toilet is now "staff only". What?! Is that even legal? Hey ho. Time to find another favourite café. 

Afterwards, I went for a walk - damp and grey - then did the fruit & veg shop in the C*** (not a chicken house) and consoled myself with a maple & pecan Danish plait. Nom. All is right with the world again. 😀

Made some stripy trousers for GD's teddy. Tried them on my bear and laughed out loud. Small things?! 

grumpy

Big relief at eye clinic - no eye damage visible so I can continue on tamoxifen!!!  HURRAY!

And driving is OK .......

So a little holiday with friends, then clinic to get scan results ext.

Bedtime now.

Grumpy

Ps Joey has got over his poorly tummy thankfully.

JCJ

Fingers and toes crossed for your eye and clinic appointments, grumpy.

Have you persuaded YD about the holidays yet, Katy? 😁

Roast beef dinner and fruit crumble and custard in the shed. xx

grumpy

Getting in a bit of muddle this week, scan to check nasties aren't growing and blood clot thingy breaking down nicely. Then trip to village panto tonight, great fun, lots of shouting he's behind you etc.

Joey has had a gyppy tummy and I've had to squirt probiotic gel into his mouth and buy VERY expensive food for him. The vet says he must not have Cesar any more as it upsets his insides.

Next week eye appt cos the dreaded tamoxifen maybe affecting driving ability - oh pooh! May be told not to drive - that will mean getting the dog/shopping trolleys in use again, and I live up a hill so it can be hard work. Recently started getting frozen meals delivered (tree and place to live) and they are pretty good. They also deliver general stuff like loo rolls and cereal.

The good news is friends will collect me for a week at their house, and we will go to see New lab puppies born at Christmas. I'll be in bits cos I know I can't have another dog when Joey snuffs it.

Then it will be Oncology clinic in February so I guess I shall be able to plan the future.

Exhausted Grumpy xxx

JCJ

Hurrah for hassle-free train journey. I hope your bargain jacket is all you hope it will be - a true bargain indeed!

What a special treat, Jane: tea at the savoy and the ballet. Did you wear your posh frock, doc Martins and tiara?! 😛

Yesterday was frosty in the morning but sunny. I had my picnic lunch, after swimming, from a well known bakery (angry-eggs 😁), sitting on a bench, in the sun, in the market square, admiring the lovely blue sky. Today: what a difference! Cold, damp and foggy all day. Yuk. I just scurried down for our chips. The parked cars were freezing but, fortunately, not the ground...... Yet.... Bone chillingly cold and damp. I saw a man in shorts and flip flops!! My knees seized up at the very sight of him!! What is it with my middle-aged cold knees?!

The inherited academic cap and gown have been listed on Mr Futon's auction site. All proceeds to charity. So let's hope it sells. 

OH constantly regaling me with what he's watched on YouTube. It's taking every ounce of my self control not to scream "I don't care!!" at him. I need to get out more. ☺️

I knitted a unicorn jumper and legwarmers for GD's teddy, for her birthday, in March - to go with the tutu! YD told me that GD loves unicorns at the moment (much to Mummy's & Mama's disgust 😛) and always chooses clothes with them on from the bags of outgrown stuff their friends give them. I offered to knit her a unicorn cardigan, that I saw a pattern for, but YD said she'd outgrow it too quickly. So I stitched one on the front of the teddy-sized jumper instead. He won't outgrow it!!

I sent the photo of my bear modelling them and, apparently, YD & DIL fell about laughing. Mission accomplished!

20220112_215346.jpg

20211103_233540.jpg

GIJaneH

£103 down to £7.99??? That IS a bargain!  Did you order one for yourself? Can you send the link in case we ALL want one???

We've had a couple of days more of beautiful sunshine and frost (with a couple of days of wall to wall rain since the last frost).  Glorious to be out with the dogs, and the camera on my phone..

We went to the ballet Wednesday, preceded by afternoon tea at the Savoy.  They made us feel really special and it was truly a fabulous experience. Having messed up the original booking, they were really going the extra mile - afternoon tea in a river view suite (which I think costs £2,300 a night!!!) with our own personal waitress... incredible.  The ballet was good too, but we turned into pumpkins on the train home, we were so late.  Hard to get up yesterday morning....

I didn't have the bone infusion this week, as I have a bit of a sore mouth underneath a tooth, and the infusion can cause the jaw to crumble... being over cautious possibly, but it's not treatable if it happens, and the consultant has said missing the odd one is quite OK as it stays in the system for months....  I thought I'd increase the mouth care and see how it goes...  The Nurse Practitioner was a little blasé about it cause I had a head scan in December which showed nothing amiss, but said it was my prerogative to not have the treatment.  Too right, it's my body Mrs.....  

Out for supper tonight with a dear friend who became a dear friend 10 years ago when I first had cancer.  She just stepped forwards when some others stepped back.  Some people are special....

Hope you all have a great weekend....  Put some simple bangers and mash in the shed as comfort food if anyone needs it. Local sausages from our super butcher...

katytc

Am at YD's train journey was very good 59 mins woo hoo. It's damp and yucky here, left sunshine at home ah well.

Will nip over to shops later, some tasty things needed haha x no biscuits in cupboards.....

Have been checking sales and ordered a jacket, a present for someone else. Current price £103 on stores website on an other well known site it was priced at £7.99 yes!! Can't believe it, true bargain indeed xx

katytc

Forgot to say I love broccoli and stilton yum thank you.

There are scones in the shed, found a little bakers that make huge delicious scones yummy.

And finally good choice about going into library, not worth the risk xx

katytc

always plenty of frost here brrrrrrrrrrr, motorbike?? oh no can't bear to even think about how cold that would be.............am laughing almost hysterically about it being so mild, WHAT??? No it's most certainly not!!

Hope your waiting went a little speedier after you posted Jane with good results.

The tapoxyfen JCJ, know exactly where you are coming from does funny things to your head haha. Just the reassurance is a bonus for our fragility. On the plus side the 10 years are done, woo hoo!!

Bought a dressing gown for eldest GD, it arrived yesterday and was the ugliest thing I have ever seen, couldn't believe it, def not like pictures...........promptly send back this morning, yuck.

Youngest GD and I went into town to return she was dressed as a princess complete with tiara so I thought why not? and accompanied her ballgown, tiara and flashing light shoes we were beautiful indeed xx

JCJ

Hope you're not still waiting, Jane, and that the tests went OK. 🤞🏼Motorbike?! Brrrr! 

Glad you enjoyed having all the family together, Katy. 

I was hoping every one was OK: it's been very quiet in here. 😁

Went to school today but didn't get past the reception desk because I was warned that there are covid cases amongst the staff and children. I was welcome to stay and work by myself in the library, if I wanted to risk it, but I decided to be on the safe side and leave it for this week: I didn't go in to work, at the start of all this, when I was PAID to be there, to keep OH safe, so it would be madness to go in as a volunteer now?! 

The school is in a cul-de-sac leading onto fields and woodland so I put on my walking boots (always in the car) and went for a walk instead. I was rewarded by seeing a fox!! We stood, stock still, staring at each other, about 20m apart, for a minute or 2 before s/he trotted off when I carefully tried to get my phone out of my pocket to take a photo. Well that was a bonus! I've never been that close to a live fox before. 

On the way back, I collected my last box of Tapoxyfen. Not sure how I feel about that! 😁😱 It'll be 10 years, on Thursday, since that fateful mammogram. I didn't start taking Tapoxyfen until May, when my RT finished, but it was prescribed from February so that's when Dr says I need to stop. I'm hoping some of my windy/sleep problems might improve (as they seemed to start when I started taking it) but I'm nervous about losing the protection/reassurance! 

GIJaneH

Loved the frost while it lasted. Grey and "dreech " here again today.

Sitting on the bored bench in cancer suite waiting for blood and covid tests.  Been here 50 mins and nothing much is moving....

Home made soup in the shed.  Broccoli and Stilton as well as carrot, ginger and orange.  Home made bread there to go with it...

Daughter and DIL came up last week on a motorbike!  Frozen to bits!!!  Managed to give away a very chunky warm cardigan I've had for years and hardly worn....

Hope you are all okxx

katytc

ground frosty for almost the whole day.

Am writing this on my phone and accidentally hit the screen so annoying xx

katytc

Happy very belated birthday grumpy!

Oh my gosh where has the time gone??

YD and GS left Thurs evening so Fri I spent cleaning up the finger marks left all over the place

haha.

Had a fun time with them all, ED and family came along too so it was lovely.

ED has arranged a few holidays too and has asked YD and me to join them so we will see as by the time YD makes up her mind there will be no bookings left arrrgh . Can't push her though hee hee . Am going through to their house next week, so will see if I can get an answer then.

It is oh so cold here, brrrr just a very light snow a couple of days ago but 

JCJ

Happy birthday grumpy. New year baby??

Glad you had a good time with family, Jane; I bet the house felt simultaneously wonderfully yet horribly empty when they left?

We actually had some sunshine this morning - for the first time in weeks - but by the time we were organised to go out somewhere it was grey and raining. Again. It's forecast to be brighter, but colder, for the next few days so maybe we'll get out tomorrow, after someone has come to collect the mini greenhouse I offered on Freecycle.org.

Today, to give myself something to look forward to, I booked a cottage, in the Peak District, for the last week in March; just as the clocks go forward so the evenings will be lighter. Hurrah! We looked at the following week (still term-time here) and it was over £200 more expensive! Hurrah for not having to book in school holidays!! OH is adamant we go away, as we always have, for the first 2 weeks in August. I reminded him that we decided, 3 years ago, that 2 weeks is too long now his PD restricts what we can do and I'm working on persuading him that early July and/or September would be better. Cheaper, less crowded and the weather is usually drier.  The benefit of retirement that I was most looking forward to but he's so set in his ways!! Grrr. I'll keep reminding him of the huge price difference. That should do it! 😜

I made a turkey risotto last night. Based on Jamie Oliver's recipe but with a lot of substitutions. It was a resounding success and has been added to my festive leftovers repertoire. Rump steak, mushrooms, roasties, smashed roots and peas in the shed, tonight, along with Christmas cake - that we actually got around to starting yesterday!

grumpy

So glad everyone has had a lovely time....... Joey has been trying chew on some rather tough treats but it's hard work when you don't have many teeth.

I had a birthday on Saturday, and neighbour said how good I looked for my age! I explained it was due to a virtuous life - no alcohol, no tobacco, no men...... as if!!!!

Happy New year to all.

Grumpy

GIJaneH

Great fireworks!

Frangipane mince pies in the shed, along with Florentines, cold roast beef and all the bits...

SO sorry about your ES.... that must hurt like h***, so good your daughter can be more measured.  Parenting is such a hard thing.  We've had ES, DIL and GD here for 2 weeks, and a couple of times we have winced at the strictness and tried to deflect/distract (not always allowed).  I think they are expecting behaviour of a 7-8 yr old from a 4 yr old, but.....  poor kid.... lots of granny hugs!!!!  I contributed to the problem by not monitoring the time she had on my ipad playing games.... I did today!!  We had a wonderful time though.  Father Christmas made a personal visit to the house, and knew who her best friend was and everything!  Christmas day, she's the only child I've ever met who said at about 11.00, "lets leave the presents now, and do some later"!!!!!!   After Christmas YD and her partner had GD for a sleepover, and did lots of amazing things.  YD found an Elsa dress for an adult in a charity shop, and then found one for GD in her size, so they dressed up and watched Frozen.  YD never, ever wears skirts/dresses, so this was a real act of love!  Shame about your dress Katy - was waiting for the photo!!!

I had booked a spa day on New Year's Eve, where there was a cancer massage included.  It was fabulous, but so exhausting!  It was like my body just went "aaaahhhh" and unwound.  Great to do though... I'd certainly book the massage again as a treat.

They all went home 2pm today.  By 2.13 I was in bed for a wee nap.  Highlight of the telly for me was watching Paddington!  Big kid at heart!

Happy and healthy new year everyone xx

katytc

It's not raining today, first time for over a week, let's hope we have a drier spell, fingers crossed.

Just waiting for YD to arrive she has Christmas presents to open woo hoo and GS has a couple too.

One you have to build so wanted to wait until she was here.

Have them under the tree and GS is not tempted at all, if it was GD she would be right into them.

Am seriously thinking about a takeaway tonight, do have stuff in the fridge but nothing truly exciting haha.

Went out yesterday for a walk GS chose which way we went, that ended up us going round and round in circles for an hour or so until he wanted to go into buggy, woo hoo, was a little chilled to the bone by that time.

Phone call from friend I have not seen since all this started so we are arranging a meet up, because of her commitments and mine looks like it won't be till Feb, WHAT?? Also thought things would be quieter, think am busier than I ever was haha. xx

katytc

Happy New Year!! Woo hoo 2022............

Oh my you were up to your usual naughtiness with the sparklers JCJ. 🙄

Aaah JCJ, brilliant the reassuring words from YD. Do remember too that he did contact you when he was in real trouble, that says something. Just very difficult. Does he contact YD?

Had an interesting evening arrrrgh GS went to bed late and woke super early, little monkey, he just wanted to keep playing.

Soooooooooo am hoping there is something super yummy in the shed xx

JCJ

Glad you had a good time, Katy. What a shame you didn't don the gladrags. 😜

I genuinely don't know where the time goes. I can't believe it's Friday again already. This time last week, the girls were here. Where did that go? It's not like I've been busy!!

Went down to the chippy, as per, tonight (ND neighbour gave me the cash for our chippy tea as part of our Christmas present because she "can't get to decent shops", bless her.) Shock! Horror! They were closed!! Noooooo! Massive queue both inside and outside the Chinese takeaway so I texted OH to put the oven on and, when I got back, I threw some oven chips & breaded haddock portions in. Not the same but thank you freezer!!

I was on the Very Sad bench, most of yesterday. It's near the CSL bench but I just about managed to avoid that one. Post arrived. "Ooh! More Christmas cards!" "Why have they got my BCN address labels (free because I buy raffle tickets) on the back?" "Ah." One was our card to BIL because, apparently, it was "incompletely addressed" (although OH has sent things successfully to that address before!). I wasn't too bothered about that but the other one was "RETURN TO SENDER" from ES!! 😢 It was his unopened birthday card. 37 on Monday. So he's definitely disowned us. 😥 Maybe he will eventually realise we are not the (sole) cause of his mental health problems but until then there's not much I can do. Thank goodness for YD reassuring me that I wasn't a c**p mother because I do often wonder what I did so wrong.

I'm not going to mope about him. We've got to try and make the best of our lives. I started to look at cottages to book some holidays but the CBA bench got me! It's actually quite hard to plan now we're no longer tied to school holidays.... and I've got sooo much more skilled at procrastination?! 

I bought myself some pyjama trousers - because nobody took the hint and got me them for Christmas! 😛 - from the famous underwear shop. 2 pairs. They arrived today and are sooooo comfy, yet look quite smart. I might be tempted to wear them out of the house!! 🤭

Happy New year everyone! 🎉 Fireworks at midnight in Benchland. Yes, Katy, including sparklers! All the best for 2022!! 

katytc

Welcome to Benchland JWR, laughed at the "only"...............we now throw all guilt into our lake where the alligators munch.

JCJ that sounds lively, glad you had a fab time with your girls, wasn't it great baby fell asleep and no sickness on the way home, woo hoo.

That's a shame about neighbour, you are only 80 once.

Had a very lovely Xmas Dinner, chickened out and didn't wear dress..........bad moi, will keep for another occasion, then was super quiet for rest of week. YD was I thought, coming on the 27th all changed but GS came today hurrah, YD follows tomorrow.

Did have a saunter to shops to see if I could find any bargains found a few things but pretty poor, really not surprising as we only have around five shops in city centre now haha.

GD who is the most girly of girls, where that came from no one knows?? received a snow white dress as a gift, she wears it everywhere and doesn't want to take it off EVER, haha. xx

JWR

Don't feel guilty.  We've had cancer and it's truly horrid.  I'm really trying not to say that I "only" had a lumpectomy.  Repeating myself here as I've just said this on another thread, but I need to remind myself.

We are brave and strong, if battered and bruised. 

JCJ

I hope everyone is surviving the festivities.

We had a lovely time with the girls. I woke up yesterday to the sound of GD cheerfully singing on the toilet. 😁 Most of the time, she was as good as gold - and sooo funny - but there were moments of sheer stroppy toddler when she was over tired. She is very strong willed (I hate to imagine the fun they'll have when she is a teenager!!)  She ate her Christmas dinner humming nomnomnom 😁. Their departure, yesterday, was extremely fraught because GD was screaming the place down. We tried to time it so they'd have lunch (Boxing Day Pie 😋) and then go, so naptime would be in the car but, by the time we got back from a visit to the swings, she'd already got into tired and hungry cranky mode and NOTHING WAS RIGHT!! DIL eventually managed to get her to eat most of her lunch and then they bundled her into the car, screaming. 5 minutes later, she was asleep and they drove all the way home, without stopping because, for once, she wasn't sick!

My next door neighbour is 80 on Sunday and her daughter had arranged an afternoon tea for 10 of us at a local garden centre. NDN rang me, yesterday, to say it's been cancelled as most of the guests are in their 80s and it seems too much of a risk with Covid still spreading wildly. Half the party are from Wales and they may not even be allowed to travel anyway.

Right, I'm off to play with my new coffee press.......

GIJaneH

Hope you're hips have survived the onslaught.   Mine have stretched to accommodate...  GD has grown since she was measured by mummy so the jumper is only JUST long enough now 😒

The tender scar tissue on my heels is responding to the tablets prescribed last week, which is great.  I'm still struggling with the eyes. GP prescribed an ointment Christmas Eve.  Seeing optician on Wednesday. 

Hope you get some chill time...

Outfit looked amazing Katy 

katytc

Merry Xmas to you all x Have a fabulous day xx

JCJ

Great that the pain meds are working, grumpy, although, as you say: annoying they didn't sort them out years ago!

Don't envy you braving the shops today, Katy. I fetched the (ordered) turkey from the farm shop, yesterday, but it took 2 attempts. Tried to go in the morning but it was ridiculous. Cars everywhere. Huge queue. So I came home for a coffee and went again in the afternoon when it wasn't quite so mad.

We all took LFT tests, yesterday: all negative so the girls ARE coming. Yay!! 😁

Loads to do today getting ready for them and prepping food. Lasagne for dinner tonight because they probably won't be here before the chippy closes early. Fruit salad to make; always a Christmas staple in this house, including fresh pineapple and mango which involves a lot of faff but is a delicious antidote to all the rich food. Also my infamous sausage meat stuffing. I need to make their room inhabitable and toddler-safe too as OH has filled it full of his c**p.

And take next door her present. 

All this if I can get off the CBA bench where I'm currently eating toast and drinking tea!

Have a pleasant, safe time everyone 🎄

katytc

Am completely sorted with my outfit now, the tiara is completely beautiful, thank you so much for idea.

Impeccable taste indeed JCJ..........

Glad your meds are doing the job, grumpy, some relief at last.

Had a super lazy day yesterday, was great, just faffed around then fell asleep on sofa, bliss indeed.

Pick up food (yes grumpy haha) today, just realised that I don't think I have enough foil, will leave a little earlier to find some..........argh, hope it's first place I go to and only place.

Rained all day yesterday and was still raining this morning not partial to rain at all.

Have a little bit of ironing to do, then settle down time again, woo hoo xx

grumpy

The new meds seem to be doing the job HURRAY.

And my friends in Lincolnshire will finally get to see their new grandbairn from Athens, born in March, now that the visas came through. The whole family will be together for the first time in years. How wonderful is that!

Joey is very puzzled about this Christmas mularkey - does it involve food?

Grumpy x

JCJ

I'm so excited, Katy: I've found the PERFECT tiara to complete your amazing Christmas outfit. 😂

IMG_20211222_162546.png

katytc

oh my gosh JCJ, just beautiful and will match perfectly xx

JCJ

Stunning, Katy. I recommend these shoes:

Screenshot_20211222-111207_Chrome.jpg

katytc

il_340x270.3359224679_8wkb.jpgThis is my dress, gorgeous or what? xx

katytc

My nose is out of control hahaha, looks so much better now, just a little grazed.

No christmas meal, was cancelled due to novovirus, not me thank goodness but cousin and her daughter have been super ill, on the mend now though. Horrible thing to have.

Embroidery? You are good JCJ.

Arrived back Mon evening, train journey went well, hurrah. Am on the "oh so tired" bench, not been sleeping too well over last few days but last night had a really good sleep whew! Hoping I am back to normal now.

Came home to a lovely surprise, thank you so much, camel is on the tree at the moment and yum yums will be munched very soon.

Glad you have new meds grumpy, fingers crossed.

Have decided am going to get dressed up for C, dress, tiara, the whole works............

Food pick up Christmas Eve, think I have almost everything, I can pick up any odds and ends on Fri.

It will soon be here am getting excited now, ED and family on the day and YD staying for the week a couple of days later. Have quiet time Boxing Day, storing energy, haha.

Been drizzly and very cold here, yuck xx

grumpy

I now have my new meds, which involved a detailed chat with the pharmacist before I swallowed any! The pain clinic reckons they will work within few days.....I'm excited and hopeful, but trying not to jinx things. If these pills do the job, my next query will be why they weren't prescribed in 2010 . Eleven years of pain is just not appropriate.  Cue a lot of bluster and red faces , methinks.

Anyhow, everyone stay well and safe, and have a lovely time for the holiday.

Joey knows he has 2 parcels under the tree but no idea what's in them because mamma puts the tree on the dining table out of reach of small elderly dogs.

Grumpy xxxx

JCJ

Have you been telling porky pies, Katy? Is your nose out of control? Shall we call you Pinocchio? 😂 Seriously, I hope it's not too sore.

I am going to do an embroidery of a family of cardinal birds next. I asked for it for Christmas, last year, to have something when the owl was finished. Haven't done embroidery for years so I'm a bit anxious about starting it, to be honest.

I hope you got to watch the strictly final with your D, Jane. Wasn't it amazing? So emotional. I was gutted for poor AJ as I would have been happy for any one of the three finalists to have won. Definitely groundbreaking, uplifting TV and a major achievement for both the deaf and gay communities. Hurrah for Strictly! I'm already missing it. What will I do on Saturday and Sunday evenings now? When does Dancing On Ice start? 

Enjoy your meal on Monday, Katy. I shall expect details..... and leftovers in the shed! 😁

katytc

Ooh that's lovely JCJ, well worth framing, will you do another?

Hope results were good Jane, fingers and toes crossed.

Am at YD's, last night I dropped something outside and bent to pick it up, don't know how I managed but decided to scrape my nose against a brick wall ouch, Its super tender today. What's with me and my nose just now??? haha, really boo hoo and arrrgh.

Did manage to have hair chopped but lido was 6 hours much longer than I anticipated, had half an hour to spare.....but it's done woo hoo.

Christmas evening meal on Monday, am excited xx

JCJ

I've put some more Welsh cakes in the shed for you, Jane. They were cooked on MY mum's (possibly even her mum's) cast iron griddle - or bake stone as we call it, (in fact we used to call Welsh cakes "bakestones"!) These ones are a weeny bit dry so I might scoff them quick (any excuse?! 😁) and make some more as my neighbour always like some as part of her Christmas present and these aren't really present worthy.

Have fun with the family, but remember to take time out to recover. 

I hope the pain meds give you some relief with no SEs, grumpy. 

Did your lido finish in time to get that hairdo, Katy. I hope you felt OK to do all your plans today.

I collected the owl cross stitch from the framers today (limped home with my stumps having parted with an arm and a leg 😛) It may have taken me Years but I'm pleased with the result. 

20211216_143359.jpg

GIJaneH

oooh!  Are there any Welsh cakes left??? I love them - memories of my mum on a Sunday afternoon.  I've still got her original cast iron gridle....

I'm so behind with you all!  Sorry!

Scan results in an hour or so... bit scared.  Optician this morning as one eye is really difficult and painful to open in the morning.  The Team booked a head scan to be on the safe side, but I thought I'd get the eyes checked out too.  Turns out the chemo is making the eyes even drier than normal and my eyelid is sticking to the dry patches and so it is sore to unpeel it in the morning.  Ointment.  Drops.  Wipes.  Another small thing to do!

We're getting excited about GD arriving on Saturday.  Outside lights up.  Tree drinking outside...no presents wrapped.  eaten the mince pies...

Tuesday we went to London to see The Northern Lights!  Yes, I know, they're a long way from home!  Light/laser display at Guildhall.  It was fabulous.  Train in is very easy (and not too crowded) but we decided the tube was silly at the moment, so taxi'd both ways.  Quite a big event/treat.  YD met us in London.  She is hoping to come up for the Strictly final on Saturday!

Hope you're all doing as well as you can... and keeping Covid-free

katytc

Ooh that's fab JCJ, you are looking skinny.

You can drape around yourself watching TV etc just no walking around and def no stairs.

Blankets are always good.

Have found simplest little hat for GC so have been dabbling with that and knitted cosy scarf for ED cause she is sometimes on playground duty .

Only thing is both small GC hate hats haha.

Hope meds work grumpy, what have they given you?

Sub cut today, still no intravenous anywhere am liking it because there is no carry on trying to find a vein, writing this before I start feeling dopey which won't be long. Not sure how long I will be not as long as the 7 hours but still being monitored every half hour hopefully be out so I can have hair chopped xx

grumpy

The letter about new pain meds has finally arrived at the GPS so I get them tomorrow - HURRAY!

Let's hope they work.....

Grumpy

JCJ

PS did manage to take neighbour to the garden centre for coffee. She is such hard work but she was very grateful so I'm glad I took her. I'm going to try to take her out for coffee once a month as she rarely goes anywhere other than the shops and hairdresser. 

JCJ

Hope lido goes well, Katy, and you are OK for hair appointment and busy Thursday.

Hope treatments are going well, Jane and grumpy. 

I'm still feeling a bit odd. But it's something that I've had before and it fixed itself so I'll just keep plodding on.

Supposed to be writing Christmas cards. I started them this morning, before going in to school, and I fully intend to finish them tonight, but somehow I keep distracting myself with other things! I'm finding it so difficult to write with an actual pen! So put of practice!

My amazing technicolour dressing gown is finished but I'm not sure whether to keep it as it is or deconstruct it and turn it into a blanket. It's snuggly but a bit long and I'm worried I'll trip on the stairs. It is also very heavy so it stretches when it's hung up. I had fun knitting it, though, and used up all the odd bits of 'wool'. No new knitting project lined up which is making me a tad anxious.

20211213_002839~2.jpg

Right. Stop procrastinating. Cards. Now! Hmmm I'll just make a cuppa...... 

katytc

Hope you are feeling ok JCJ and you did manage to go out for coffee, there seems to be so many bugs doing the rounds, arrrgh.

Glad appt for OH went well despite the wait, as you say regardless if consultant is very good. Also hoping there are no side effects.

Had ED's children Sat, all went well, whew. 

Christmas lunch yesterday, it was yummy, had prawns, salmon and salad, then sirloin and lots of veg, no room for dessert............

Having another next week before big day haha.

Lido tomorrow have booked appt for hair later in afternoon fingers crossed, last year everything was  cancelled so am getting in quick, loads going on Thurs if I am ok, fingers crossed. Think lido will be 4 and a bit hours this time because shouldn't be monitored every half hour. not sure if sub cut need to wait till I get there.

Cold and damp here brrrrrrrrrr xx

JCJ

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently, Katy? Just a thought if you keep having nose bleeds.

OH's appointment went well. We had to wait 40 minutes past the appointment time - and we got there 10 mins early! - but I don't mind so much because Dr is very thorough: no sense of being rushed. She asks... and answers..... lots of questions and you really feel she's doing her best for you. The wonder drug that improved things so much 2 years ago (?? Lost all sense of time with this ***** pandemic!!) has been increased from 10mg (5 tablets) to 12mg (6) with a warning that this MIGHT cause hallucinations but if it does he can go back down to 10...or 8mg...and she'll prescribe something else alongside. We are quite relieved that there's no new meds/SEs to get used to, at this point. She told him he needs more exercise as that is a proven benefit for PD. He did book an extra swimming session, for Friday, but we got a phone message - just as we were getting ready to go - that there was a technical fault at the pool and they had to cancel. He was NOT disappointed!!

Christmas decs up today. The inside ones... put the outside lights up on 1st December. Everything seems more of an effort today. I don't feel 100%. Could it be the flu jab? 'though that was 8 days ago.

Made Welsh cakes this afternoon and took the freezer stash of mince pies out so I'll need to make some more of them before the girls come (🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼) Obviously, quality control is required to check the pies survived the freezer and taste the Welsh cakes: one of each with a mugatea. Help yourselves in the shed.

I've promised to take my 80 year old neighbour to the garden centre for a coffee on Monday and she's so excited about it so I hope I'm not going down with something; I'd hate to cancel and disappoint her. 

katytc

Well did get up and go into town, was a nightmare..........

2nd shop I went into, thought oh no my nose is running (underneath mask) had a wipe and you guessed nose was bleeding arrgh. Managed to clean myself up and carried on.

next pen burst in my pocket, WHAT?

Then as I was turning the corner towards home the wheel fell off my new chariot.

Had to balance shopping etc to get into house, thank goodness wasn't far. Checked and screw thing had disappeared arrrgh, could be anywhere? It's now too dark to see if I can find it and now I can't use chariot.

Had a brainstorm............used buggy to get me to a nearby DIY store, spoke to the kindest girl ever, they didn't have the specific thing I needed but girl searched for an alternative, she spent ages and eventually found something that would work hurrah! She said she would tighten for me if I was unable to do so myself (that was the problem with first one obviously). Went home and put new one in, couldn't tighten so went back to store, girl tightened and said it would never come out now. Honestly was so very grateful and thanked her profusely, so near to tears.  Went over to supermarket and bought chocolates for her, honestly such a fabulous girl!

Was so tired went to chippie for tea, hurrah xx

katytc

Aaaah grumpy, you must be so relieved that you have finally been taken seriously and hopefully beneficial painkillers will be with you soon, hurrah.

Oh my goodness JCJ, what a fright with OH, glad he is ok, hope his appt goes well today.

Laughed at your little GD hanging lots of little bits all over the place, like that haha.

Am on the "totally CBA" bench, added the new word haha. 

Really have to get out and about to the shops because need foodstuff.............

Maybe soon xx

grumpy

Hi ladies

You may recall me complaining about joint pain - and being told it is nothing to do with the drugs. I have now got a diagnosis from a pain management specialist. It is, wait for it, Chemotherapy Induced Neuropathic Joint Pain, and apparently there's a lot of it about. I'm waiting for the letter to say what pain relief to get from my GP. The drugs being used off and on for the last 11 years have been ineffective and had horrendous side effects, and no one seemed to believe me. Thank goodness for the pain clinic!!!! 

Anyhow, minty lamb kebabs and spicy cauliflower in the shed. Who has made the pudding?

Hope everyone's families are keeping well, Joey is wondering where Mamma has put his reindeer jumper. I can't tell him it went in the bin cos he unravelled it.....

Grumpy xxx

JCJ

That's a bit scary, Katy, but I'm glad you're OK. ES once woke up with a nose bleed for no apparent reason. It really shook him up but I don't think it's ever happened again. Enjoy your coffee with your auntie and cousin.

I'm glad your D was able to visit you, Jane, so you could have girly time together. Carbonara. Yum. 

I'm on the K bench today. We had a lovely time with the girls. GD loved the calendar. She took out the contents of about 6 of the pockets (random selection!) and we later put back all but the first 4 so she can enjoy "opening" them each day. One of the 6 was a tiny jumper, on a hanger, which she absolutely loved. She has "Little Spider" that she makes with her hand and talks to and makes up stories for. The jumper fitted Little Spider perfectly! GD immediately took the hanger out and wore the jumper on her hand; LS's head (GD's forefinger) through the neck hole and 2 of her fingers/LS legs in the sleeves. Hilarious. YD had put their tree up specially so the ornaments had somewhere to go but some of them got hung on drawer knobs and her toy boxes 😁

Frightening moment as we were leaving the house on Friday night for YD to drive us back to the 'hotel': OH tripped over a tiny change in level on their concrete front path, stumbled forwards and fell onto the pavement. He was a bit shaken, a small graze on his knee, but otherwise fine when we eventually managed to get him up. But for a moment, I was really worried because I'd just read out a message from my EB saying SIL had had a fall and badly broken her femur. She'd fallen asleep on a kitchen chair (goodness knows why) and toppled off. An ambulance was called because she was in too much pain to move, but it took 7 1/2 hours to arrive so she spent the night on the kitchen floor!! You can imagine what was going through my head with OH lying on the wet pavement on the outskirts of a city on a Friday night!! OH seems to have no ill effects and SIL has now had her operation and is starting the long rehabilitation process.

I have my flu jab tomorrow and OH's PD consultant appointment on Wednesday so it's a busy week... by our standards!

Fingers crossed for your scans on Friday, Jane. I'm glad they've made them at the same time for you and I hope they're organised so there's minimum hassle. xx

katytc

Lovely to have your girl with you and wishing you well for today.

Did you open all the advent calendar days, JCJ? haha.

Had an unusual event this morning, was sleeping, woke up coughing and thought my nose was running arrgh. Went into bathroom and there was blood all over the place, well my face.....felt a little dizzy and lay on the sofa for about half an hour, nose stopped bleeding, made a muggatea and started to feel ok.

A couple of hours later started coughing again and a blood clot shot out of my mouth, oh dear.

Seemingly this happens if you are lying down when nose is bleeding, makes sense.

Am fine but what a start to the day haha.

Going for a coffee later with auntie and cousin, not seen them for almost 2 years xx