72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

13,998 REPLIES 13,998
GIJaneH

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Hope flat is perfect!

Hooray for ok teeth and a real GP appt fast! Hope new jacket works well when normal weather is resumed..

Cooler today thankfully.  I'm off for a day's mooch with my bestie, who's OH has cancer and stuff which has shot his kidneys, so dialysis 3 times a week and chemo. Tough for him, but she hasn't been out/had space for 18 months...we're like the schoolgirls we once were!

GD is bringing her parents this weekend,  before school starts again

Enjoying the breeze on the CBA bench for a bit...shove over...

grumpy

Oooh, good news! Going to see a flat on Wednesday, someone gave backword so this flat is up for sale again. Here's hoping it's what I want.......

Grumpy and excited.

JCJ

Ooh! We're nearly at 14,000 replies!  You'd never have dreamt that when you posted your initial rant, Katy?! πŸ˜‚

Bought the new coat today. I was stressing about my bank account; having just been to the dentist - albeit cheaper than I feared - and having the car booked in for service & MOT next week so OH bought it for me. 😁 R****** ("boat race") Originally £100 but reduced to £49.99. 100% waterproof. Bargain. Made from recycled plastic bottles so I'm ticking the "doing my bit for the planet" box. Old mac is now in the charity shop pile. Another tick.

Of course, now we won't get the much needed rain. Sorry folks. My fault!

I'm a sweaty heap having just cut the front hedge "now it's a bit cooler". Broke my own rule and didn't bother to put trousers and long sleeves on and payed the price. Eaten alive!

Found a juvenile gold finch on my bedroom window sill- the inside one! - don't know who was more surprised; him or me. He got out safely. Phew!

katytc

I know, still can't believe it, ED says it's cause I have a "history" haha.

Am joining you on the CBA bench, am trying to also be motivated but it's not working...

Still a bit tired and keep nodding off. Did do some ironing, straightened a picture and changed two pictures I didn't like that sums up my day haha.

When are you going for your new jacket?

I purchased some sweatshirts they have a thermal lining to keep me cosy when weather turns cause obviously won't be able to put heating on,😑.

Two GC here tomorrow, ED is back at work and kids return to school on wed. I feel it's gone very quickly this year.

It's poured with rain all day here still warm and feels stuffy. Xx

JCJ

Wow! Instant doc's appointment, Katy! Wow!

It's a bit cooler and cloudy today but after 4 days of it being 32+Β° and all I could do was stay as still as possible, in the shade, trying to catch whatever breeze there was, I'm so firmly in CBA mode that I can't motivate myself to do any of the jobs I've been putting off! 

Swimming last week was hot and noisy and OH only managed about 15mins in the pool, so I've persuaded him to either try another session - perhaps adults only - or wait a couple of weeks until the kids are back in school.  We're going to go on an expedition to our favourite camping shop instead so I can purchase a new waterproof coat, having got soaked to the skin in light rain on holiday..... and it's inevitable that it will rain when we try to holiday - especially at the seaside! - with the girls?! The shop has a cafΓ© so we might be obliged to have tea'n'cake. Shame?! πŸ˜›

All this hot weather and sitting about means I've nearly finished another baby/granny blanket using up more of the "wool" I acquired on Freecycle.org. Just got to finish crocheting the border then I'll sell it, with the help of "Mr Futon", for charity. 

katytc

Hurrah for no scary dentist bill and that your teeth are in good shape!

Oooh you are staying in a mansion, how fabulous??

You can all hide from one another hee hee.

Yesterday I had a wander around close by shops, didn't need anything just nice to be out and about again.

It's very hot here too, we are not used to this weather but it's lovely to have sunshine.

Phoned docs this morning cause it's almost 60 days since I started using cream and said I would like a skin check because several other bits have appeared. You will never believe it but was offered an appointment today............so all skin bits checked, another on my arm and one on my face so use same cream as I am using on hands, keep going with it for another 30 days then see what's what. Couple of blobby bits on my eyelid being referred and fingers crossed will be removed, am super excited by that, woo hoo may take ages but hopefully not years, not anything serious but irritating. xx

JCJ

Whoop! Whoop! πŸŽ‰

Dental update: he could find nothing wrong despite taking an X-ray! Just a clean and polish. Β£73 (private dentist). I was expecting major, uncomfortable-at the very least- work and Β£100s so I'm extremely relieved and happy! πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜

JCJ

Bu****! Isn't that always the way, Grumpy: things are always available until you need them and then pfff! Gone! I'm like that with clothes shopping: loads of things I want when I've no money/need to buy anything, then as soon as I have an occasion - and the necessary funds - nothing! Hope you find somewhere wonderful before too long.

What a lovely, special treat, Jane. Sounds idyllic! Hope you enjoyed your girls' visit. 

Glad you're feeling better, Katy, but at the risk of repeating myself: don't try to do too much too soon. You have every right to be on the CBA bench while you recuperate. 😁

Holiday booked for a week, mid September, with the girls. 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 living room cottage in their favourite Norfolk seaside village. They might not stay all week as it's only half an hour from their house. We will go by train.

I've got a dentist appointment this afternoon. Dreading it as I know I'll need work doing. Got a bit of an ouchy biting situation going on. πŸ™

Spent the morning hoovering, cleaning and... believe it or not..... dusting!!… because BIL (late eldest sister's OH) is visiting tomorrow on his way back from up north seeing his ES. Suddenly saw the place through his eyes! He's only coming for an hour or so but even so....!

Going to be very hot here again over the next few days but at least we're more used to it now. Would love to see some rain! (Remind me of that statement in a few weeks time when it's p***ing it down relentlessly for days on end and I'm complaining that we've not seen any sunshine in MONTHS?! πŸ˜„

katytc

Negative, negative hurrahπŸ˜„

Oh my gosh has been awful, just as ear "got" better, covid hit. No coughing or breathlessness but everything else. Non stop thumping headaches, feeling super nauseous, aching muscles and fatigue all day every day arrgh. Still feeling a little tired but that's all ok, hurrah.

Good luck with your flat hunting, grumpy, isn't that just typical????

Jane that sounds like a really lovely day out, wonderful surprise.

Did you have fun on your holiday JCJ?? and anything organised with your girls yet?

Am sitting on the CBA bench, have been up for hours and have just sat and sat. Bad behaviour or what??

The other day went to have a shower and when I lifted handle it came away in my hand arrgh where is JCJ when you need her?? Plumber, fixer haha. Going to be fixed hopefully on Fri, fingers crossed. whole new shower needed, can't use it at all but have the ensuite, thank goodness.

ED is properly in new home now and loving it, old fashioned exterior but all modernised interior. Have not been able to be helpful in anyway unfortunately. Last piece of furniture arrives today, so she is feeling it's almost there.

GD had her exam results yesterday and did very well, we were all super pleased for her, huge weight of her shoulders, whew! Biggest surprise was her maths result a B, think she is the first in the family to achieve that as none of us are mathematically minded haha. Neither is she usually but on the day whatever knowledge that was there came out haha.

Need to move now...............someone give me a push xx

grumpy

For the last 20 years, there have always been a couple of the retirement flats for sale in the village. Guess what there are no none!!!! So it's a waiting game now. Oh dear, but fingers crossed ......

GIJaneH

Oh Katy, hope you feel better soon... Son, DIL and GD have got it at the moment...  not nice...

Grumpy, I hope you find something that ticks all your boxes...

The Treat, was a treat!  I was taken through a normally locked gate, to a mini "temple" in the grounds of a stately home, (think Queen Mum's early years apparently) where afternoon tea had been prepared (table cloth, flowers, china crockery etc (and brought - salmon sarnies, scones & cream, copious quantities of hot water) and was consumed overlooking a beautiful lake with geese, ducks, coots and dragonflies.  It was idyllic and stunning.  My friend sometimes helps out with things up there, so was able to get permission to use it... Very special!  

I also went to London to see Sr Act with my daughter... she and her girlfriend are on their way now for scones here!  Such a treat to see them both... I'll hear the motorbikes arriving before I see them!!!

JCJ

Do tell, Jane, what was the mystery lunch? Did you have to milk the cow and make the cream? πŸ˜‚

Hugs, Grumpy, hope you find a lovely retirement place right in the thick of it. 

Hugs to you, too, Katy. 😘 Take your time to recover and don't try to do too much too soon. So lucky you didn't go down with it on holiday?! 

We're home now. Reasonably straight forward journey. My garden tubs look very sorry for themselves but I've given them a big drink and I think they'll recover. 🀞

It's much warmer here and nothing like as green. I want to go back to Wales!!

katytc

Still not great....

Hopefully be back to full chatting soon xx

grumpy

We had a dog trolley for meg the corgi and I don't need it any more, so our vet is taking it to the RSPCA to loan out to folk who can't afford to buy one. How good is that???

I got a bit emotional today when I put the security plate in the pet door, not needed any more......

Now looking for a retirement flat in the centre of the village so I can be in the thick of things - the next phase of life!!!

Grumpy

GIJaneH

Chillin sounds good!

So sorry to hear you've got Covid Katy - I think symptoms before testing positive is quite common.  I do hope it improves soon... sounds pretty unpleasant...  You're right, Covid seems to be more common now amongst those I know that it ever was before.  Something to do with not wearing masks or isolating methinks! People are being told to go to work, even if they have it!! Bonkers!

I'm being taken somewhere at lunchtime, which I think might involve a scone and cream, but it also involved a field I think, as I have to wear footwear that won't mind getting poo on it?????  Very curious!

JCJ

WiFi is diabolically slow tonight. I'll take my chances as to whether this will work.

Rotten luck that you've got Covid, Katy, but hopefully you're through the worst and can gradually get back to "normal" (yeh, right?!!) I wonder if the ear problems weren't just the airplane but an early symptom?

I've gone from not knowing anyone with Covid to nearly everyone I know having had it. Surely our luck will run out eventually? 

Having a good holiday. We've had some rain but mostly when it's not bothered us - although I did discover, last night, walking to the beach in light rain, that my raincoat is no longer waterproof. I got soaked to the skin. Ah well. I've had it years. I'll have to ask (whispers) Santa for a new one.

We've spent the whole time, so far, in and around the caravan site. "Our" caravan has a lovely little, private garden with a nice view and we've only ventured out on foot (me) or in the car to places within a couple of miles. OH has been happy to just stay in the caravan and garden most of the time or sit in the nearby County Park. 

Planning to go to Colwyn Bay at some point, as we liked it there before, but even that's only about 10 minutes away in the car. Just chillin'. 😊

katytc

Aaah grumpy such sad news, a hard decision but the right one, big hugs.

Jane wonderful, hope you enjoyed the champagne!! 

Thought it was only me who managed to get lost JCJ?? hahaha.

Came home on Sun, ear was slowly getting better, hurrah by Mon no more wincing each time I coughed etc, think you are right about excess wax, yuck sounds awful.........

Mon went down and purchased new phone whew, old one did the job but was very annoying. Tues went along to ED's new home, looks great and everyone very happy.

Wed night started to feel very unwell, Thurs the same, thought I should do a covid test came up negative. Spoke to both daughters and a friend who said symptoms were covid like and I should do another test. So on Fri I did and tested positive. I was relieved to know what it was. Today I feel a little better, am touching wood as I am typing haha. Not nice at all, thumping headaches, nausea, unable to sleep then sleeping all the time, body aching, fingers crossed it'll soon be over. xx

JCJ

Hurrah, Jane! Glitterberry juice on ice in The Jolly Merkin. Hoping the others will join us in celebrating when they feel up to it.

I did find the beach. 13 mins walk from caravan. It's huge and just a little bit estuary-ish. Looking forward to seeing it at high tide. Won't be swimming: beach was covered in ENORMOUS jelly fish!! 

In Conwy at moment. Absolutely heaving. Glad I walked in - scenic detour along the river and harbour - as I wouldn't want to bring the car in. Now I've got to trek the 1.2 miles back...with the shopping....and the sun has come out! πŸ₯΅ Think I'll be taking the direct route!

GIJaneH

I'm really sorry to hear that Grumpy - they become part of the family don't they?  Big hugs...

Katy - hope you feel better soon

Caravan sounds "cosy" - hope you found the beach!!!

Great news from this end - verbal report on the latest scan shows a reduction in all areas of cancer!  First reduction in 18 months... Opened a bottle of bubbly last night!!!!

Take care all...

JCJ

So sorry, Grumpy. A very sad day indeed but you can take comfort from the fact that you made the right decision and he is no longer distressed. Hugs xxx

grumpy

A sad day today. My dear little Joey was put to sleep today. His dementia was so distressing for him so it was the kind thing to do. The house feels very empty......

JCJ

Hugs, Katy. Hope you feel better soon. xxx

katytc

Just to let you know am on the feeling completely yuck bench hopefully be back soon xx

JCJ

Goodness! That sounds like a nasty fall from which you were lucky to escape uninjured, Jane!

2 bottles of wine? Yes, I'm sure it was being  "tired" that made you knock everything over! πŸ˜‚

Torrential rain for a lot of the journey here yesterday. I. Hate. Driving. In. Rain. Stopped at our usual picnic site on the A5 en route and we're horrified to find the cafΓ© (which we didn't need to use) and toilets (which we DID!!) closed. Arghh! OH - and every other male occupant of several vehicles that drove in while we were there - immediately made use of the hedge. I thought I would have to plait my legs and look for other facilities on the way but I eventually gave in, followed a bridle way for a few hundred yards and risked the necessary exposure (couldn't find proper cover as I had sandals and bare feet and there were nettles etc!) Oh. And did I mention it was raining? There'll never be gender equality while women have to suffer so much more indignity for simple necessities?! πŸ˜›

I was glad I braved it so I could enjoy a mugatea before we continued our soggy journey. 

Arrived at caravan in intermittent sunshine - no rain, thankfully, so we could unload the car. Caravan is very compact - no room to swing a mouse, never mind a cat in "my room" (twin 2ft beds with about 8" between and have to fold the duvets back to open the door or wardrobe!) - but well equipped.

Went out last night hoping to find the "10 minute walk to the beach". Walked for an hour, a lot of it following dead end paths in a new, unfinished industrial park, and came to a cra**y stony, muddy estuary bay that I really hoped wasn't "the beach". Didn't want to have to retrace my many, many steps so I tried to follow a path that looked like it led to the road past Conwy mountain, where the caravan park is. Encountered a locked, impassable gate. 😳 Have to go back the way I came. Gave in and used my phone to Google map it back and realised I'd gone in completely the wrong direction for the beach! I'll try again another time.

Cold and damp today. Wishing I'd packed fewer vest tops and shorts and more warmer clothes. Been there before, Katy?! πŸ˜„

Going to explore the "15 minute walk to town" this afto (I've studied the map, this time!) so I can reccy parking, suitability for OH and buy some food: there are TWO fridges to fill! 

GIJaneH

Sounds fab JCJ!  Sorry about your NDN, but it sounds like the necessary next step.

We are just recovering from 4 days of GD.  She's absolutely super, and well behaved, but constantly on the go.  We made a cake together, and I got up on stools  (one a stepping stone to the other) to get the cake tin out, and as I stepped back, forgot that the lower step was there and went flying, scattering cake tins with an enormous clatter!  Nothing damaged thankfully!  I must have been getting tired, cause that night I put something down on the dining table, knocked a bottle of wine over, which dominoed into another bottle of (open) wine, which went everywhere... what a waste!!!!

Blood tests all good, treatment doesn't seem to be affecting the immune system, which is great, and the liver function is back into normal ranges, so fingers crossed....

We've had some welcome rain, but not enough.... bits of the garden that normally survive drought are wilting.... and they're not alone!!!

Have a great holiday...

JCJ

Glad you're back safe, Katy. Flying made my ears funny too. Maybe trying some olive oil or Earex might help if they're not better in a few days. The pressure thing will be worse if you've got a build up of wax?

All packed up ready to go tomorrow. Gave the flower tubs a mighty drenching and put the automatic watering doobries in (supposed to last up to 2 weeks but, last time I tried them, they were empty before we even left home!) They'll just have to take their chances as NDN certainly won't be watering them for us.....or having the key in case of emergencies! First time in 39 years! ☹

There is supposed to be free WiFi on the site but I don't know whether we'll be able to use it in our caravan. 🀞

OH packed his suitcase: just 3 shirts, 1 pair shorts, 1 pair of light coloured trousers, 5 underpants, 5 pairs socks. I gently reminded him that we're going for TWO weeks and, although there is laundry, I don't really want to have to do washing. He said, "It's OK. I'll manage." Definitely need to take some clothes pegs then......for my nose?! πŸ₯΄ What a tramp?!

Holiday in Norfolk booked for mid September. I found a cottage with 5 bedrooms - sleeps 9 - 2 lounges and 2 bathrooms right in the middle of the village by the sea that we like. It cost less than the 2 bed cottages I was looking at (some of those were naff "chalets" on vast parks not walkable to the beach) and we can ALL stay there with enough space to do our own thing. They won't need to go to all the faff that camping entails! Don't know why it's so cheap: it has plenty of excellent reviews and it's on a reputable website we've used before. The girls may not stay all week as they can easily pop to and fro. YD has sneaky plans to leave GD with us overnight while they go back to the city for some child-free time. I'm looking forward to taking GD to the beach! 😍

katytc

Back at YDs hurrah and back to the rain arrgh. Plane was delayed an hour but we didn't have to land in Norwich which had been the plan so all good. 

Have had a bothersome ear since plane journeys checked with chemist and she said leave a couple of days to see if it sorts itself if not contact GP, mmm and wait how long for an appointment???

Didn't use cream on holiday so will start tonight.

Aah what a shame about neighbour JCJ, but best all round she will be looked after properly, eat regularly etc.

Fab news about a holiday with your girls, unexpected and lovely.

Enjoy your 2weeks away, hope you have WiFi haha, have a wonderful time xx

JCJ

We go on Sunday, Katy. For 2 weeks. Booked from Saturday.... but you know the score! πŸ™„

NDN taken to A&E in an ambulance yesterday. Severe diarrhea and dehydration combined with severely hot weather. Spoke to her son and daughter (both here doing a clean up!!) and they have decided she must go into a home as she clearly can't cope on her own at home even with what support we can provide. Sad but necessary. They're hoping she will be properly assessed before they send her home this time (last time it was at midnight!) The meals I ordered last week are all still in her freezer! No wonder she's as thin and fragile as a sparrow. πŸ™

YD got me excited yesterday. She has some holiday days owing and has suggested we go away, all together, somewhere, in September, where they can camp and OH & I can stay in a chalet, caravan or cottage. Spent yesterday, on the shady bench, doing some research of Norfolk seaside resorts. We can go by train, if OH can manage, and YD will collect us from the station. Yippee! 

JCJ

Glad you're having a good holiday, Katy. You might get back to higher temperatures than you expect!! Amber warning for extreme heat up North today. It was scorching here yesterday....39Β°C apparently! πŸ₯΅ So glad it's grey and much cooler today.

Go you, Jane! Can't imagine wearing a wig in this weather....though a sunhat would be essential- and not unexpected. 😁xx

katytc

It appeared again..... Xx

katytc

Did a post all disappeared, am done arrrgh xx

katytc

Good for you Jane, confident or what?? Woo hoo xx

When are you off JCJ? Or are you away now?

Last full day today, its been lovely.

My phone screen cracked in the sunshine, then gs dropped it so its a goner arrgh. Brought old phone with me thank goodness. So first thing Monday off to shop for a new one. Annoying but one of these things.

ED received keys yesterday hurrah xx

GIJaneH

Ah! It's YOUR fault we have this weather!!!! πŸ˜‚

We made blackcurrant jam last week - known to GD as Granny Jam!  She comes on Wednesday for a few days, with DIL.

Saw GP today, the things that were off kilter in A&E are now fine! Had blood test at chemo suite on Tuesday, and he could see the results...

OH's church are coming to a BBQ on Sunday - 35-40 of them!!!! Lovely people, but I might have to hide somewhere from time to time 'cause too many peoples is exhausting...

pub was great.  I went without hair... waitress never batted an eyelid, all fine, dogs happy... then I went to the loo and saw a long table with lots of people and realised I knew one or two... turned out to be the family of a chap whose funeral I had done last week (with hair of course).  Their faces were a picture of polite confusion, trying to compute, wondering whether to say anything and so on.  It was hilarious!

Hope holidays and jamming goes well x 

JCJ

Professional holiday maker with your towel lounger reservations, Katy. Lol. 

Jam made yesterday. 14 small/medium jars of deliciousness, which should last the year. Swimming today. Hurrah. Didn't go on Monday because OH would have really struggled getting dressed afterwards in the heat: it's bad enough normally! Didn't go last Thursday either because I was having lunch with fellow retiree.

That same person has messaged me today to say she and her husband both have Covid and are feeling completely cr*p. Oh no! Another week of bated breath to see if she was infectious this time last week. 🀞🏼🀞🏼🀞🏼I will be so annoyed if we have to cancel our holiday. The same caravan site where our August 2020 holiday was cancelled due to Covid. Grrr.

NDN rang this morning (in my half hour of "time to myself at home" between dropping OH at library and going swimming/returning NDN's unwanted shopping (don't ask!!) She said she doesn't like the fish meals - they smell too fishy(!!) so she's been putting them in the bin.... that explains the stench!..... NOW she tells me: after I've just ordered her some more as they're the only thing without cheese, onions or anything too chewy. I give up! So much for "success"! We'd better be able to get away. I sooo need it! 🀐

katytc

Such a long, long night Jane arrgh, glad you managed a catch up sleep, sounds just awful.

Staff? good for you grumpy.

Mmmm not so good about next door JCJ, what can you do though? Maybe good you are off on hol soon because her own family will realise her dependency on you.

Still super hot, GS is taking bad with the heat he doesn't like it haha.

So we hid most of the day...YD loves it.

Went for a walk yesterday on my own and got completely lost arrrgh ended up having to get a taxi back to hotel so no more wandering on my own geez. had no clue where I was....

First time in my life I put towels down at pool this morning, was pretty full already but managed to acquire 2 loungers hurrah xx

JCJ

Gosh! What a night, Jane. No wonder you were tired and dehydrated: just stepping into a hospital makes me thirsty never mind 8 hours! Glad all OK in the end.... even if you could have done without the A&E "nightlife"?!

Glad chemo went OK too. Hope pub dinner was yummy and fingers crossed for your scan. 

Have a super time on your holiday Grumpy & Joey.

I'm on the coffee-in-the-shade bench trying to summon the be-a*sed-ness to get the blackcurrants (picked 2 weeks ago) out of the freezer and make jam whilst it is - relatively - cool. Met Office warnings for extreme heat on Sunday now been extended to Monday and Tuesday as well 😱 I hope it has cooled down a bit before we go away a week on Sunday: OH doesn't cope well with travelling... or heat... and both together will be awful. He spent most of the day, yesterday, in his bedroom with the air conditioning on. Perhaps we need to get a portable unit to use elsewhere in the house. That would put an end to this heatwave nonsense?! 😁

I said to YD that I needed it to warm up before we went to Wales or the sea temperature would be far too cold to even contemplate swimming: it's been years since I've swum in the sea and I've really missed it. However, I didn't need it THIS hot!!

I hope you're not frying, Katy!

YD having her annual birthday BBQ, on Sunday. She saw the forecast and panicked; asking her WhatsApp group of friends if anyone had a gazebo. Seven have been offered. She says she's going to stack them, interspersed with layers of ice like a cold box! πŸ˜‚

NDN driving me nuts. I know she can't help it but she tries my (admittedly limited) patience something rotten. Today she rang, while I was getting out of the shower, in a panic, to tell me I'd bought the wrong ham, yesterday, when I did her shopping. I hadn't. She wanted me to go round. Not now. I'm wearing only a towel!! I think I persuaded her it WAS the same as she always has. Her next WFF order arrived today, so at least persuading her to have them was a success - although, judging by the foul stench of her bin, when I put it out for her yesterday, she probably throws most of each meal away!

Right. Jam making. Or maybe I'll have the rest of the coffee in the carafe with some ice, first? πŸ˜€

GIJaneH

yippee! Staff are good! We added in the gardening help when I got Assistance Allowance - saved my OH having to do everything, because I could do so much less.

I've been sitting in the rain!!  It's wonderful!  and OH has just suggested going to the pub for dinner, so I jumped at that!

Chemo went well today, and scan booked for next week now, so I'm a happy bunny

hope you survive the forecasted heat...

grumpy

I'm proper posh here , got STAFF!!! The cleaning lady started today, she's lovely and cleans the INSIDES of cupboards and puts things in the right place. The gardener comes to 'cut back'  and get on top of the jungle. I've not been able to keep up with both jobs for the last year, so it's a big relief to have help.

Got a holiday planned with friends in a couple of weeks. They collect me and take me to Lincolnshire where we shall meet friends from student days I.e. 50 years ago. There will be dogs galore so Joey will be frazzled......

Enjoy the lovely weather.

Grumpy

GIJaneH

Oh yes, melting weather here too.  It always is when we go into school to do Soul Space for a couple of days, and we're in a hot area, so the team will melt.  Fortunately, I have good folk to do most of it, so I shall only pop in and out!  Chemo tomorrow afternoon, but that will be cool cause it's air conditioned.

I had an "experience" on Saturday.  My hands and feet have neuropathic numbness from the chemo and Saturday afternoon, my lower left leg went numb.  The left hand had been numb earlier in the week when I happened to be with GP, and he said if it got worse to contact them and they'd refer me for an urgent MRI.  Saturday afternoon, so I rang the chemo SOS phone number.  Over an hour later someone calls back, and says I need to go to A&E to rule out a blood clot.  I got to A&E about 7pm, and was triaged really promptly.  Nurse and consultant!  Consultant said clot was nonsense but they would do routine bloods.  My BP and heart rate were high, so I had to have an ECG, and blood test.  (never heard of anxiety?!?!)

A lovely lady did the ECG eventually and went off to find a nurse who could access my port.  An hour after that a nurse arrived but she could do PICC lines, not ports.  By that time I was an hour further down the queue to see a doctor!  Saw the dr about 3am... who decided I looked dehydrated and needed IV fluids and told me my sodium was low.  "you look dehydrated" I have been here for 8 hours... "Was I tired?" (I'm on chemo, of course I'm tired!!!!)  So I sat and had fluids - in the waiting room.  Spend a night in A&E and see life in the raw!  I've never seen someone with a bad reaction to Ecstacy + before.... and the Police were in attendance of quite a few! I was finished at 5am....

spent yesterday morning in bed catching up, but am still cream crakered, so you know which bench I'm on (and pleased it's been moved into the shade).  We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom since we decorated, which is fabulous, but little dog decided to do the heavy breathing and try to get the crate door open.... got to sleep after 2am.  Totally wiped today and in that "don't be nice to me or I'll cry" fragility.

Been to school to set up - team were fab.  NEARLY cried on the head, but got it together.  I've now had a little rest, so should be OK now....

JCJ

Glad you all got there, Katy. Have a good holiday. Don't get sunburnt!

It's HOT here too! I said earlier, "Why wasn't it like this last week?" Then realised that camping in this heat wouldn't be much fun.

I've been mostly on the tennis bench this weekend. All finished now. Missing it already! So much admiration for the wheelchair players!

We have cheeky blackbirds too, GIJ, that have learnt to steal the dried cat food that we put out for our resident hedgehogs. To stop all the cats in the neighbourhood eating it, I have put a large plastic box on bricks with the tray of food underneath with just enough room for the spiky beasts to squeeze in. It does prevent the cats stealing it so I couldn't understand why the food was disappearing when the hedgehogs should have been hibernating - and the camera trap recorded no overnight footage. Then I set the camera to film 24/7 and caught the blackbirds red handed (beaked?!). Now they sneak in blatantly even when we're sat less than 6ft from the feeding station and their juvenile has learnt to do it too. I just put out extra food so there's still enough for the hedgehogs. 😁

katytc

Just a quick one no WiFi practically anywhere we can find...

Am so so hot quite a difference from being oh so cold🀣

Weather spectacular, beach today which was mobbed short while at pool then up to room to hide.

All going well xx

GIJaneH

OOOH! sorting a cupboard! I'm impressed!  That job rarely gets to the top of my to do list!

So pleased the back is improving Katy.

I've clambered off the WTF bench and had some life-giving conversations this week, which included one yesterday that enabled me to cancel someone today, as it's complex listening and I didn't need to do it THIS week.  Self care...  Funeral this afternoon, so good not to have exhausted myself this morning.  Followed by a meeting at school.... glutton for punishment!  Been trying to find time to watch the tennis too.....

Finally the weather seems to be warming up!  We missed the heatwave in the south while we were on holiday.  A bit of sunshine today is very welcome!  Watched a cheeky mummy blackbird yesterday stealing all the blueberries that GD loves so much!  We wondered where they were going....

JCJ

Glad your back is improving, Katy. Hopefully it will be all OK for your holiday. 🀞🏼

It's been a manic few days here with all the after-camping unpacking and putting away along with having to get the washing machine repaired: it wouldn't spin properly. I suspected it was the brushes - if modern machines still have them! It was. The brilliant repair man came out on Monday, the same day I called him, and fixed it, on the spot, with parts from his van. Very reasonable charge too and he came straight back when I tried to use it and it wouldn't fill with water properly due to a kinked hose when he pushed the machine back under the work surface. He was extremely apologetic!! 

I've also been swimming, shopping for HND (Her Next-door) - twice! - and ordered her some more WFF meals (only 3 so no doubt I'll have to order more but at least she wants them!!), spent 3 hours in school, picked 5&3/4lbs of blackcurrants off our bushes and frozen them ready for jam making next week. I've ordered YD's birthday presents online - and they've been delivered - and made her birthday card: a photo collage of pictures from our holiday. And there's been the tennis, of course, too!

I was determined to sort out the camping cupboard, before I put this trip's stuff away, so I pulled out all the things that we, realistically, will never use again now that OH can't camp and we no longer have the big car and trailer. I listed everything on Freecycle.org this morning and nearly everything has already been collected. Just one item left... and somebody has requested that! Busy, busy, busy.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting my fellow retiree for our monthly lunch at the garden centre. That's if I can get off the K******ed bench!! 

katytc

Best day so far for back, woo hoo, fingers crossed it's nearly done....scared to say too much haha.

Sunny here but super windy. Am going to nip to shops later will prob be blown there.

Was asleep approx 9pm last night and woke up at 7.30 so well rested.

Just keeping quiet haha x

katytc

Glad you had a lovely time despite the awful weather..........it's poor for July indeed. Great YD had time to see Dad and managed to catch train. Australia doesn't bear thinking about haha.

Back was chronic yesterday arrrgh, eased slightly as day went on, woke up this morning and not painful at all, as the morning wearing on it's becoming ouchy again. Talk about worst time for this to occur..........I know what it is it just needs to calm down. Trying to keep my spirits up!

GC were very good so was glad of that haha. ED brought some things along that I claimed when she said she was getting rid of everything, wonderfully large clock, a tree, a lamp and some fake books that look superly realistic. Just some lamp shades and chairs for the table to come now, am well pleased. All look really good.

Am off today to YD's, so only have to have my shower and pack some small things, my suitcase is bursting........am one of those who thinks better pack that just in case arrrgh xx

JCJ

YD safely on 1st train with space on the luggage rack for tent and holdall and a seat. I've driven back the 10 miles from the station trying not to cry. Wish she didn't live so far away. Told myself to get a grip: at least she's not I Australia!! Hopefully, we'll see them in September.

When are you off, Katy? I hope your back is better. xx

JCJ

I think the FF bench doubles as the sweary bench, Jane. Go on.. let rip $^^%$// 🀬🀬🀬 You have every reason so no-one will be offended.

I hope your back continues to improve, Katy.

We are back from camping so have reliable phone signal and WiFi again. Managed to get the tent down dry (thank goodness! It's heavy enough for YD to schlep on the train without being wet!) despite it chucking it down with rain most of the night and early morning. We're at our house so she can see her Dad for a while. Then I'll take her to the station for the 19:50 train. It's the last one because the planned one, an hour earlier, has been cancelled. Fingers crossed she gets home. DIL has a day out planned tomorrow after 3 days on her own with GD! 😁

The weather has been very mixed but we managed 2 long (for us: we're both out of practice!) walks and an evening fire without getting wet. It was COLD at night! Last night I was wearing a long thick cotton nightie, pyjama trousers, socks, a micro fleece jacket and a quilt and blanket on my airbed before I got warm. And a jumper across the top of my head as I didn't take a woolly hat!! Brrr! It's JULY!!

katytc

Aaah Jane, it never rains but it pours sending you lots of hugs, fingers crossed this chemo does its job.

JCJ, hope weather has not been too bad don't think you will really mind that much because you have daughter with you😁.

Have had a miserable few days with my back think it's hay fever coughing and sneezing that's to blame arrgh, have been quiet trying to protect it as much as possible. Walked into town yesterday got a little way down road and thought I'm not going to make it ...I said to myself just get on with it and I did haha. It's tender still but much better than a few days ago.

Good news after around 5 years I have eventually managed to get my TV in the bedroom working properly, it's mostly cause I couldn't be bothered but persevered and it's now all good, to be fair I never watch TV through there and it's mostly for the kidsπŸ˜‚

Just good to know it works.

Picked up new glasses yesterday hurrah just plain ones this time but I like them.

Have 2 GC with me a babysitting evening, they are painting just now, have told them Nannie needs to be quiet not able to go out etc and they are being good as gold aaah xx

GIJaneH

Yep, I'm back. Hope your trip is OK.. camping???? Brave woman! Hope you get better weather than we have

Been a week of hospitals. Bloods Monday,  treatment Tuesday,  onc Wednesday.  We changed chemo 5 weeks ago. Scan result yesterday from 6 weeks ago showed that previous chemo was not only toxic, but not working. Have progression in liver and lungs. πŸ€¨πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ not huge, but is there a sweary bench in here somewhere?  Then to end my perfect day by the time I went to bed I had cellulitis in lymph arm! Just as well I had emergency antibiotics in the cupboard...

Having lunch with an old colleague today, so that'll be good.  

Enjoy your jaunts...white gloves are great, and cheap online. Avoid Boots ones, they're really short 

JCJ

Arrived at campsite. Very scenic and quiet here. There are 20 or so DofE young people here who have walked in carrying teeny tents. Makes me feel tired just watching them. 

Only WiFi is in the shower block and not much phone signal.

Forecast not brilliant but at least we have no 3 year... or 71 year olds to contend with/entertain.