74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

14,115 REPLIES 14,115
JCJ

Re: stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND)

Beeping and inane muzak! Grrr!

OH has a CD radio with an alarm that is like a fog horn. So loud it vibrates the entire house. Unfortunately, it's easy to turn it on by accident (especially with shaky hands and sausage fingers!) and the default alarm time is midnight! 😱 The first time it went off we didn't know what it was and both nearly had a heart attack!

Back much improved although I didn't risk going into school: humping boxes of books about, standing at the, stupidly located, computer or bending to the low shelves all a recipe for disaster?!

Decided to put off tomorrow's big S*******y's shop until next week. I wanted it to be the last one before Christmas anyway so that works better. Just been to the supermarket in our nearby town for a fruit & veg - and things that can't wait another week - shop. Wanted to just nip in and out as being in pain for the last 3 days has worn me out, but OH decided he wanted to come. Grrrr. I've left him loitering in the library and I'm sat in the warm, in C**** (pricey?), with a pot of tea and a salted caramel brownie because I CBA to wander round the shops and it's much too cold to sit in the car to wait for him!

However, if these children, who are chasing around, shouting and squealing, don't leave soon, I'll have to. Them and the music is just too much for this grumpy old woman! 🤬

CanonJane

Ooh, bad backs are a b*****! Hope it sorts soon...

Smoke detectors drive me mad too, and as for that canned musack!!  Nuff said!

I've just mended all the tiny holes in the front of a "thin layer"  where do they come from? Never used to get them!!  My t shirts are full of them these days!  I'm not good at sewing,  but I can pull the edges together and stop things getting worse for a while.  Love the knitting BTW..

Feels colder today.....

Take care of yourselves... maybe a massage from your hunk of choice would help? I'm sure Benchland can arrange......

katytc

Hope back pain is not too intense JCJ, arrgh, always the same when you have things to do! As long as you are ok for weekend, so annoying.

Gosh looks fab, the knitting.

Only had two places to call, started at 8.45 am and finished around 11 after listening to lots of easy listening music, it wasn't easy for me haha. 

Nipped into town later and picked up some easy teas, getting too happy on the CBA bench.....

This morning, just eating breakfast with GD when beeping noise started arrgh, it was fire alarm, battery was running low, so we had to go over to shop, beeping also gets on my nerves.

While there I received a call from Lynn clinic so have appointment tomorrow, will def need new sleeve and glove know there is a difference. Also a call from auntie so we are meeting on Fri for breakfast methinks.

GD is not behaving today, grumpy, grumpy, so she will borrow the naughty bench from Benchland.

Was meant to go to supermarket later but giving it a miss as can go tomorrow after hospital whew xx

JCJ

Hope your daughter enjoys her new role, Jane, and that she has a better quality of life. 

Also hope your long, stressful call was fruitful, Katy. I'm with you on how exhausting they are! 

I'm on the PutMyS**dingBackOutAgain Bench. Putting my trousers on after a shower on Saturday! 🙄 Thought it wasn't too bad yesterday and did most of the normal Sunday jobs and went for a short walk. Today it is worse. Cancelled swimming. Not going to attempt vacuuming. So frustrating because there's so much I wanted to do before YD & GD come on Saturday. Just got to be a patient patient and let it get better. I'm not very good at that!

20221128_125153.jpg

 My double 10 stitch cushion front. Knitted in one go. No sewing up. Not as complicated as it looks. Now to knit the back....when I've decided whether to do another spiral, in different colours, or some other pattern.

katytc

You are right not many leftovers haha.

What regarding knitting??? Sounds super complicated..........

Aaah Jane, lovely to be complimented, her heart was in the right place.

Good luck to daughter, hope she loves this job and is very happy.

Just had a reasonably quiet weekend, sat on the CBA bench for most of it, bad behaviour.

Have spent most of the morning on hold, so annoying, latest one seems to have disappeared, complete silence as he checks something, am not sure whether to keep holding, he's back, woo hoo.

Call finished, now to check emails for confirmation, there is none haha.

Hoping just a delay and I don't have to phone again grrrrrrrr. 

All I now want to do is sit back on the CBA bench, calls are so tiring xx

CanonJane

Handmade Christmas cards too!  Is there no end to the talent in Benchland???

I had a surreal moment this morning.  Over coffee (after church) I was chatting to a lady who's face I knew well, but the name had long since run away!  Apparently I went to her wedding (I DID???)  Anyway, she proceeded to gush how healthy I looked... how great my hair (!) was....  how I hadn't aged etc etc... obviously I was keeping really well....  Hadn't the heart to tell her I had incurable cancer and the steroids give me a glow!!!!!  It was surreal... my "wonderful hair" is now lying beside me on the desk 😂😂😂

Just bought a sweatshirt I don't need because it was reduced by 70% with an extra 10% off... rude not to really!  (W****F**h if you want to have a peek)  Other suppliers may..... etc etc

Daughter starts a new job in the Acute Physio community team tomorrow - none of the pressure and triggers of the wards, or everyone knowing her and relying on her, so that feels a lot better.  A step down, but sensible... Working to live, not living to work...

JCJ

Left over chippies, Katy? Yeah, right?! 😛 It's lucky there are ALWAYS leftovers in Benchland. 😁

Glad GS is recovering well. 

Spent the afternoon making Christmas cards so we had a CBA dinner.. Jacket spuds cooked in the microwave with homemade leftover meals from freezer: I need to make space in there for Mince pies and other Christmas goodies. I got out a quorn chilli and a bolognaise but, on thawing and reheating, the former was a bit dry and the latter too runny so I just shoved them in together - after all they're almost the same ingredients?.... at least when I make them! So OH had the chillinaise and I had the bolognilli. Quite a success.

Catching up with strictly, tonight, and knitting my spiral double 10 stitch cushion cover. 

katytc

Apart from the soggy sandwiches, a very good day, ending with the bargain coat woo hoo!! Love a bargain.

Thats where I get wool for beanies haha. 

Hair is fine am not really noticing because it's so very dark and dull here, rain is staying off for the moment. It was in torrents when I went to hairdresser, arrgh.

GS's appointment went well, he doesn't have to wear boot all of the time now just if he is standing about a lot (nursery), he was very happy at hospital this time, much to YD's great relief, whew. Healing nicely.

Have wrapped nearly all presents, did some yesterday and finished off today, am so very pleased because it's a job I don't like.........one delivery to come then that's it, woo hoo.

So as a treat am off to chippie in next 5 mins, leftovers in shed later, there are lemon drizzle small cakes there already, delicious xx

JCJ

Hope you like your new hair "do", Katy. If not, you can always wear one of your beanies? 😛

OH got in a mess with his debit cards doing online shopping - both the joint account and his own - so we had to go to the bank to sort it out. Our branch has closed - of course! Happens every time we switch banks!! - so we had to go to the other nearby town, which we've not been to for years (apart from the dentist and Knit & natter). All sorted. Cards weren't blocked anyway! 🙄 Absolutely vile, expensive, soggy sandwiches in a café for lunch. On the plus side, though, I bought some cheap "wool" to knit myself a sleeveless jumper, from H*** B******* (cheap things for the house) at the recommendation of one of the K&N women. Also, I found a coat in a charity shop for £8.50!! I'd been thinking about replacing my "play" coat (as opposed to the one I wear for work/smart) as I've had it years; the replacement zip I put in, years ago, was starting to misbehave and the cuffs had lost their elasticity. This charity shop coat is lovely. It looks brand new and is a good length to keep the nether regions cosy. So rare to find something I like, in the right size and a nice colour (navy). Must have saved myself about £40 and benefited a charity. Win. Win. My reward for having to sort out his mishaps?! 😁

We've had soooo much rain recently. The river is flooding the carpark in the village (thank goodness we're up the hill from it!) and one of the local roads is closed as it is under water! What a change from the drought in the summer! 

katytc

Ooh they are lovely, I especially like the girls haha.

Thank you for yummy pork, Jane.

GS is good now (touch wood) with boot, probably because he knows he can't walk without it, appointment on Thurs to see what's what. He has been into nursery for a couple of hours so that's good news too. Language thing is still fine, he has not lost his place which is brilliant, hopefully be there next week.

Have now purchased all toys and gifts, woo hoo!!! One box of chocs and cash for 2 still to go, so am super duper pleased. No wandering around the 3 shops we have here or the internet..........

Having hair done tomorrow, highlights again because I liked it, they have lasted for around 8 months so that's pretty good and well worth it.

Have been making beanie hats for kids, only GD wears them so off I went to charity shop with a bundle, noticed on Mon they were on display, delighted haha. Hope they sell.

Getting a tad colder here, saw a forecast that said snow, arrrgh, oh no xx 

CanonJane

oh I LOVE them!!. so fiddly to make/sew up, but so gorgeous.

No spare calories for wine today,  but glitterbury juice is calories free, I seem to remember!

Pork in Camembert & cider in the shed if anyone is hungry. ...

Making the Christmas cake this afternoon 😋  I  have to confess that we haven't quite finished last year's yet!

The sun is shining,  which makes a lovely change, so I've filled up the bird feeders.   

JCJ

IMG_20221120_003633_266.jpg

 Hello from Star, Pudding, Santa & Fairy Bears (mice?)

They make me smile and I hope you do to. 😊 xx

katytc

Aaah that's great Jane, hurrah😄

Is it steroids for weight gain or some of other meds??

Through at YDs GS is looking good and was very excited to see me. Hundreds of kisses haha. We have managed to get his boot on and he is walking around, success. Thank goodness took us a while because of sensory issues so we are all over the moon. Plaster cast would have been just awful.

Sun is shining here x x

JCJ

Jane: 🥂😁

CanonJane

Children seem to be more resilient than the grown ups sometimes, but if he has other issues, that will complicate things for everyone... big hugs...

Scan results stable, so I'm in the Jolly Merkin if anyone else is around?

I got fed up with my weight creeping up and up, despite thinking I was "being sensible" so I joined Noom, and am really impressed..... I know how many calories I'm eating just by putting things in the app (it has worked out how many I need!) It gives you the psychology to take control and information to help decision making... fantastic.  I have enough spare calories tonight to have a glass of wine OR TWO!!!!!!

Hick!

JCJ

Arghh! Poor little man. ❤ But now it's stabilised the worst bit is probably over. Children mend fast! He'll be charging around - and scaring all the adults - in no time! Hugs xx

katytc

Fractured shin bone arrrgh x have cancelled everything will go tomorrow because he gets super excited when I am there and it's better if he has some quiet time after all hospital stuff, poor little boy. He was traumatised, so were mum and dad x

JCJ

This site and/or my tablet is being an absolute ****! Desperately slow and putting in random emojis (♂️) that I can't edit out! Grrrr! 

JCJ

Hope it's nothing serious and they are not kept waiting too long. And that his language support realises it's just a postponement!

OH got a letter yesterday with his PD consultant appointment for next year.... only he didn't read it properly (surprise!!?) and thought it was for 6th December this year. He was all set to cancel it - because we've just been - until I pointed out the "2023". Dingbat!

He's at the library so I've got half an hour of peace before negotiating the, probably flooded, roads to go swimming (at the pool, not on the roads 🏊‍♂️😂) Absolutely chucked it down all night and still drizzling now. At least it is topping up the depleted reservoirs: silver lining! 😁

katytc

Am on the feeling sick bench, GS slipped last night and they are at the hospital just now, stomach is twirling.

He was meant to start language help today too so that is cancelled.

Had lido yesterday all went well but was awake all night, arrrgh.

Will be back in as soon as I know what's what xx

JCJ

Money isn't everything. There's no point in your D. struggling in her job and making herself ill. I hope she can find enjoyment in her new role.

I'm in a cafe, with OH, supping tea having just had a picnic supermarket sandwich lunch in the slightly drizzly park. We've just had our Covid and flu jabs (mine in the same arm!!) at the vaccination centre; we got fed up of waiting for Drs to get in touch! Swimming this afto, which is why we're hanging about in town.

I've had an odd text, allegedly from Drs surgery, telling me to send in my blood pressure readings. I wasn't sure if it was genuine so I didn't follow the link, either in that text or the reminder that came a week later! Got to go into surgery, soon, to get OH's new meds put on his repeat prescription so I'll ask them if it's bono fido 😛 I've been checking BP anyway, now they've reminded me....but maybe I won't finish the 7 days now I've been double jabbed in that arm!! 😱

Bought car seat ready for GD's visit as YD has booked her train ticket. I was surprised to see it was less expensive than I was expecting and they're going to deliver it free of charge! It will last until she's 12, apparently, so we can keep it in the garage gor the rare occasions when we'll need it.

CanonJane

Oooh, bears!  How lovely! "All I want for Christmas is a flushing loo, a flushing loo, yes a flushing loo....! 🎶 🎵 

YD has been trying to get back into her team lead role,  having been broken by the responsibility she took during pandemic,  but come to the conclusion she can't any more and will have to take lower paid job...just as her fixed mortgage comes to an end.... we never stop worrying about them,  do we!

Been in a meeting from 9am (when???!!!!)  Pooped....feet up now...  cream tea anyone?

JCJ

🤞🏼Fingers crossed or next Wed, Jane. ❤️

Sounds like you had fun with the GC, Katy... and they with you.

Hurrah for you enjoying food again!!

I had our monthly lunch with fellow retiree today, after several postponements due to illness - first me, then her! She told me that the breast screening van is no longer going to come around. She has to go to a hospital for her routine mammo - the nearest is 10 miles away, but there were others suggested, in the south of the county, much further away! Don't know if it's just our hospital authority or if it's nationwide cutbacks but it's certainly much less convenient. I bet fewer women will bother going. Worrying... and annoying! 

I am quietly celebrating. This evening, a plumber came to visit to quote for a new toilet. Hu-bloomin-rah! It's only taken me 3 or 4 years to persuade OH that we need to replace our old inefficient one (and we only have one!) It was probably installed when the house was built in the 60s and we have repaired the leaky waste pipe, with an unsightly bodge job, years ago and had people in to fix the flush... twice... but it hasn't flushed properly since the last "fix"; needing several attempts involving a looooong wait for the tank to refill in between - or chucking jugfulls of extra water down and/or poking with the loo brush! 😳 I'm sooo fed up with it. The plumber is very busy but hopefully it will be done by Christmas 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼 I told OH that, if we had a water meter, he would have replaced it years ago. Think that may have been the clincher. 😛

YD & GD's visit has had to be postponed. They were planning to come, by train, on Sat 26th November to Monday 28th but I heard on the news, yesterday, that there will be strikes on 26th. Grrrr. I messaged them and the plan is now for them to come the following week. Hopefully.

I'm knitting Christmas bears. Santa and Pudding Bear are done. Star Bear is made. Just awaiting delivery of some 4ply yarn, bought online, for her dress. Then I'll make Fairy Bear. They're only about 6" tall and really cute, although everyone agrees with me that they look more like mice!! Watch my profile photo for updates. 😁

katytc

New covers woo hoo, oh to be talented haha.

Lovely dinner much appreciated yum yum, kinda favourites of mine. 

Waiting is the worst Jane, hoping good news for you.

Successfully finished jumper, not perfect but wearable haha, thought worst part would be picking up the neck stitches but that was easy, am trying rainbow hat and mittens now. GD loves rainbows.

Was out for lunch earlier this week and first time for ages I actually ate lunch. It was lovely, baked potato filled with prawns and a salad delicious.

We are looking for a Xmas lunch now, usual place has upped prices considerably so we will check out a couple of other places.

Had both GC yesterday (in service day) we wandered around shops nearby checking out toys, came home munched lunch then made cookies so day went very quickly.

Into town when I can remove myself from CBA bench...........xx

CanonJane

Great news about the flat, even if it isn't what you would prefer...  Hopefully it will soon feel like "home".

And those sewing skills!!!!  Do we have a "repair" bench anywhere?  I'd be first in line in the queue!

Knitting, I can do... sewing I hate!

Just had difficulty picking up earings, and then dropped one - hand/fingers going numb, which is not good news... still waiting for scan results (3 weeks so far)  I have appointment with Onc next Wed, so I probably won't hear before then....

Take care in this miserable weather xx

JCJ

Good news that you have secured a suitable flat, grumpy. I'm sure it will be a wrench leaving your house but if it makes life easier for you that's got to be a good thing. Great that you've got "the girls" to help you - both moral and physical support!

Great news that your GS is going to get the support he needs too, Katy. Hurrah. Hope the bus journey goes without hitch.

I've had a small triumph. The covers on the patio seat pads were disintegrating so I was going to throw the lot away but I hate sending stuff to landfill so I ordered some waterproof fabric, online, and this weekend I have successfully recovered them - stealing the zips from the old ones. They now match the new, thicker seat pads that YD bought me for my birthday and we can use these recovered ones as back rests. Success. Perhaps it was worth spending all that money getting the sewing machine fixed. 😁

Dinner tonight is rump steak, mushrooms, dauphinoise (spelling?) potatoes, roasted sprouts, carrots and peas followed by chocolate and black cherry sponge pudding with raspberry sorbet and vanilla ice cream. Help yourselves in the shed. I burnt the calories catching up with the Gymnastics World Championships. 😛

Fingers crossed for everyone's scan results. xx

katytc

Wishing you much happiness in your new home and good results next week, grumpy.

Pouring with rain here but not as cold thank goodness.

Train was brilliant not too many people travelling with the strikes, am coming home by bus as no trains only buses available not going with train company as it will take 2 hours so if I go with another service it's only 1 hour 10 mins can deal with that. Only thing is it stops a few miles from my home but will order a taxi. Walked it once it was too much haha.

Circular needle has arrived couldn't get one locally arrgh so will try am hoping I don't make a mess of it all.

GS has been accepted for a course on aiding with language absolutely delighted YD burst into tears so overwhelming. Xx

grumpy

Hello Jane

You are just in time to hear my good news - I've got the tenancy of a sheltered flat in the village!! No more struggling with stairs, the log burner, over bath shower and access to house!!!

It's small so The Girls are coming tomorrow to help sort out stuff for Oxfam and the tip to reduce the amount that will need moving.

It's not really what I want to do but I can't manage the house much longer.....

Scan today and results next week, fingers crossed.

Grumpy

JCJ

When I had a message to say CanonJane had posted, I thought we'd got a new member of Benchland.... until I saw your purple DM avatar. 😁 Hope your chemo goes smoothly; some scan results would be good too! 

Privy Council always makes me snigger.... 🤭 so childish! 

Swimming was OK, last week, Katy. Much easier than the week before but still not up to my usual energy. I've bought myself some board shorts because my new swim costume is a bit high cut in the legs and I feel too exposed (and, let's face it: I CBA with the "garden" maintenance 😊). There's quite a drag on the shorts when I swim even though they are only short ones. I kept thinking they were going to come off, which would be embarrassing even though I'd still be decent. I'm blaming them - not 6 weeks without going - for it being difficult to swim.

YD & DIL have come up with a cunning plan: YD & GD are going to come and visit, by train, to give Mummy a break without GD having to suffer car sickness. They can help with the mincepieathon - or YD can while GD & Grandad entertain each other. They are going to buy a cheap car seat, for GD, from a well known car accessories shop, and I shall have to go and get it fitted. Exciting! I was going to suggest that I try and get a car seat from Freecycle but DIL would be too anxious that it wouldn't be safe - especially if I installed it! 😁

Right. Really must drag myself off the CBA bench and get some jobs done. Hmmm. Perhaps make some coffee first.... 

katytc

Hope chemo goes well tomorrow Jane.

A name change?? What are you like?? Was first thing I noticed when I logged in, you are the canon woo hoo.

Glad you enjoyed your fashion show and your trip, did you wear your tiara? Added bonus purchasing some new clothes, always a good thing.

Gosh does sound peaceful there JCJ and beautiful.

Did you enjoy your swim? 

Have been pretty quiet here, didn't have GD today, she was terribly sick this morning so ED stayed with her at home, she's fine now, back to being bossy boots haha.

Stopped reading book arrgh, will try again later, it's a Dennis Lehanne, I enjoy the twists he has in his books.

Am trying to knit a jumper, pattern easy but have just read what I have to do with neckline, involves picking up stitches with a circular needle WHAT?? Will need to really think about this haha. Have done it before but it was at least one hundred years ago............

Off to YD's in the next few days am babysitting, she has not been out for months and months so am glad she has decided to go.

Can't believe it's November where does the time go? xx 

CanonJane

Pleased the funeral went well, and you got some space too...

I got caught in a downpour this morning when I took the dogs out. The rain was bouncing 9" high off the car roof when I got back to it, and the walk was VERY short! Not much fun.... the boys weren't happy either!

Happily stayed indoors for the rest of the day. 

I've changed my "handle "from GIJaneH, which I've never liked,  but couldn't think of anything else 11 yrs ago. 

St James's was amazing.  Great guide, and walking through the access Chambers towards the throne room, with mental pictures of the privy council doing that exact thing so very recently wad incredible. 

Hope you're all OK

Chemo tomorrow....would like scan results,  but.....taps foot.. .

JCJ

Fashion show sounds fun, Jane. I usually find that clothes look great on the hanger yet awful on me! 😊 Good that the "models" were all shapes and sizes. For once!

Hope you had a good time at James's Palace.

NDN's funeral today. Her YD had invited me to go to her house and follow the funeral cars to the crem. I declined because I thought OH was coming with me and it would be too stressful. In the end, he decided not to come - he started to feel ill, yesterday, just thinking about it - and I accidentally joined the funeral car procession anyway as I met them on my way! I made sure I still followed my Satnav directions, though, just in case it was a different funeral!! It would have been funny were it not such a sad occasion.

Funeral was quietly appropriate and behind the crem is a lovely memorial woodland with bird boxes everywhere, lots of benches, a lake and fountains. Even a couple of squirrels scampering about! I had a wander. So peaceful. A reminder that all life is transient.. and cyclical! 

I was glad OH didn't come. He has a tendency to try to be funny in stressful situations and people don't always realise that's what he's doing and just think he's either lost his marbles or is being offensive. I would have been on tenterhooks in case he said something inappropriate!!

At the service, they gave everyone some seeds to plant in her memory. What a lovely idea. 😍

CanonJane

Do we have a "normal" bench???? 😂😂

It's been a quieter week, which is great, but this end of it has got busier.  I frequent a favourite tea room (often) and they have a shoppy bit at the back, where I have bought a few nice things..... They had a fashion show yesterday evening, and I took 3 friends along.  It was great fun, and seeing things ON people that look awful on the hanger was fascinating.  Some of the stuff I would never have given a second glance to looked amazing.  The staff modelled, and were all shapes and sizes... came home with stretchy black velvet trousers (pull on and comfy) and a jumper the same as I had last year but in a different colour.   It's been such an easy thing to wear, so I'm looking forward to both of those....

Picked up new specs today - not sure yet....

going to St James' Palace for a tour round bits the public don't normally get to see (with OH & D) so that should be interesting...

take care xxx

JCJ

Sorry, didn't answer your question, Katy: yes, I think I am back to normal (whatever that is! 😜) now. Taste and appetite back. Energy getting there. OH commented last night that neither of us seem to be coughing much any more. I hope your taste returns soon. It's horrible. Most people's do within 6 months, apparently. xx

JCJ

Hope you're still enjoying your book, Katy.... unless you've finished it already! What is/was it? I've just re-read The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman because it is very funny. Superb characterisation. I never normally like reading a book again as I remember what happened, but my memory is not so good these days and the way it is written makes it worth a 2nd read anyway. I've got his next book on on my C. list.

Talking of memory: I was out on the front drive tackling the moss (still got the blisters on my hand from the broom!) when a woman greeted me like a long lost friend. No idea who she was and had to admit it. She has an unusual - for our generation - name so I instantly remembered her as soon as she told me it. She said she only recognised me because we still live in the same house. I haven't seen her for 30+ years!! We were friends when our kids were small and I was gutted when we stopped seeing each other (not romantically! 😊) either because she got a job or she moved away, I can't remember which. Anyway, we stood chatting for ages but, stupidly, I never asked her where she lives. 🙄 She knows where I am tho.....

Went to our little town yesterday and got my hair chopped off. When I phoned for the appointment, the last time I'd rung that number was May 2021! 18 months! It's slightly shorter than last time - just to my shoulders - and I'm not sure I like it. It's still long enough to tie back, though, so that's good.

Also bought some lovely jeans in a charity shop. I was really disappointed that they weren't the size they said. They were a very long way from being able to be zipped up!! 😳 And no, it's not me - despite weeks of CBA bench residency - as everything else in that size still fits! Ah well. They were only £2.95 so I'll just donate them back. Double donation. 😁

OH at library for an extra hour today. AGM. They've asked him to be a director! (Must be desperate? 😂) I hope he doesn't overstretch himself.

Just been into Drs to make sure they've actioned the new prescription for him. I can collect it from the pharmacy tomorrow, apparently, when I pick up all his other meds. Got everything crossed it helps with no SEs.

Off for a swim soon. I really struggled last week so I hope it's a bit easier today. Already looking forward to my deli picnic lunch afterwards! (Hmmm no wonder those jeans didn't fit?! 😂

katytc

Yummy yum especially pudding haha. Thank you, are you back to normal now? Well as normal as you can be?? JCJ.

My taste is still affected arrgh so it makes choosing dinners a little complex now, if that's the worst side effect can only feel super lucky.

Eye is looking very good am well pleased! Hands are another 90 days of cream, that'll be 180 days arrrgh.

Daughters and GC still have to shop for, will have ED search for suitable toys/clothes, I was going to wrap stuff at the weekend but was on the CBA bench instead so it didn't happen.

Went into town earlier just a short trip as said before there are not many shops here........

Was hoping rain would stay away and it did whew.

Feet up shortly and will be lounging around till bedtime started a book last night, an author I have not read for years am enjoying already. xx

JCJ

Hope the jumper is salvageable without too much trouble, Jane.

Politics is indeed in a mess. Can't believe BJ is coming back. What does it say about the party if they re-appoint him - a proven liar with no regard for anyone but himself and his cronies? Or the country if he's re-elected?! I despair. Don't hold out much hope for the NHS if they stay in power either. 🙁

Glad they sorted you out, there and then, Katy, so you didn't have to schlep to and fro. Must be a huge relief. Hope the lab doesn't find anything worrying. 🤞🏼

I've made my mincemeat and started my C. shopping - online, obviously! (I expect you've finished yours by now, Katy? 😛 And wrapped them all? Lol.)

Had to buy a bagful of lemons; unwaxed ones don't seem to be available singly, even though I only needed one for the mincemeat, so we're having chicken roasted with lemon and garlic inside, for dinner, with steamed lemon sponge pudding for afters. In the shed as per.... 

Pi.... Sorry, chucking it down with rain again now. It was all morning then this afternoon was quite pleasant - not that I got around to going out. Too busy faffing in the kitchen and video calling the girls. Can't believe how early it's getting dark now. And the clocks haven't even gone back yet! 

katytc

Aaah that's great that your K & N club is still going, you are doing something you like and having fun planning X stuff, exciting.

Jane solar power, politics and chemo?? That's a right mix haha. 

I have winter leggings that are thermal for lazing around at home. Cosy, cosy, still have to put heating on though brrr.

Both blobby bits are removed, woo hoo! Anesthetic, scraped off, cauterised, bottled up for lab, little bit of swelling, black eye and antibiotics for a week, so glad it was done, same day. Clinic was so full, have never seen so many people waiting for their appointment.

Horrible grey day here, don't have to be anywhere thank goodness xx

CanonJane

Glad you got to K & N....  I bought myself some thick jogging bottoms the other day, but in Costco.  I have no idea why they make the womens ones so thin...

Politics is a shambles at the mo isn't it?  One worries for the NHS...

I was in the chemo suite from 2pm -6.30 pm yesterday, for a 1.5 hr infusion! Can't blame the staff.... nurses off sick, the "new" unit isn't big enough for the demand so there is always a wait for a chair... the nurses there were run off their feet and fab...

D & ptnr due for the afternoon/evening, only now it's just evening...

the jumper I am knitting for ptnr will, I think, need pulling out and making baggier.... 

we'll try tonight - I've loosely sewn it up in a different colour thread.

Food really HAS gone up, hasn't it?  We have solar panels so we're looking at putting in a large battery to hold some power for when we need it after the sun's gone down - well, that's the theory.

On the hunt for food....

JCJ

Hope your appointment went OK, Katy, and there is a plan in place. 🤞🏼

Knit & Natter was good, although it nearly didn't happen! The library, where it is based, is closing (has now closed) for refurbishment and the library services and groups will be temporarily accommodated in another building. Although the library was still open - I had checked online, the night before, to make sure - there was a sign up saying the top two floors were closed. We meet upstairs! I went to the checkout desk to ask and one of the other knitters was there. Nobody had been informed that we couldn't meet that week! Grrr. As more of us started to arrive, they found a table and some chairs for us so we could sit in the children's library. For a moment, we thought we'd have to sit on the teeny tiny toddler chairs. That would have been a sight to behold: 5 ladies of mature years (I'm possibly the youngest, although NOT the least agile!! 😛) struggling to get up from them!! 😂

We start to meet in the temporary location in 3 weeks time... as long as they haven't messed up again! A pub/hotel has been chosen for our Christmas lunch, although we might just have some festive snacks at our K&N session. We're going to wait and see what the temporary room is like.... and whether we'll be allowed to take food in - as it's technically a library!

Just done the big supermarket shopping. Had it delivered 3 weeks ago so it's only the 2nd time I've been to the store since they had a massive reorganisation. I'd forgotten about it. Exhausting trying to find everything! Sooo glad I didn't attempt it when I was feeling c**p. Felt like abandoning the trolley and walking out!! Bill was eye watering. And that was without much fruit, veg or meat. Trolley wasn't even as full as usual! Ouch!

I did treat myself to some thick cotton jogging bottoms for slobbing around the house. Had to get men's ones because the women's were all pink and frilly and/or pathetic. Hope they fit. If not, I'll give them to OH. Or take them back.

Lasagne, salad leaves and garlic pizza bread for dinner. My treat for shopping. And tiramisu... but it is OK: they are "Be good to yourself" ones. And delicious. 😊 Leftovers (who am I kidding?) in the shed. 

katytc

Oh my goodness, have no idea what you are meaning with jumper hahaha. Novice indeed.

Hope scans are good, fingers double crossed.

Isn't it funny how some medications actually can give you the side effects, you want to get rid off?? Hopefully OH won't suffer, arrgh.

How did knitting club go??

Came home last night, went to chippie because you have to pass on way home with a slight detour haha!!

Hospital appointment tomorrow, have to go to other city which is a bit of a nuisance but am hoping it's not just a consultation but fear it will be and will have to go backwards and forwards. Nothing serious just removal of lumpy thing around my eye. Am excited it will be gone soon, happy days. First mentioned to doc before covid so long wait.

Nothing planned for today in preparation for really early start tomorrow, when I return will venture into town to pick up some essentials.

It is so cold here today, not as bad as YD's she had gale force winds, so chilly.

It truly was fizzy juice...................xx

JCJ

PS meant to say, Jane, I'd darn in the loose ends by separating the 3 strands of dk and weaving them in one at a time. But maybe not until after she's tried it for size in case you need to "unknit" it!! 

JCJ

Really, Katy, was it "fizzy juice"? Sounds like it was something stronger... glitterberry juice perhaps?! 😛 Hope your YD is better now. 

Grrr to your prompt LFTs, Jane!  🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼for your scan results. When will you get them?

OH still coughing. He was even more tired than usual for a few days but otherwise not too bad. 

My taste seems to have returned to more-or-less normal. I had a salad garnish with my egg baguette at the garden centre, the other day. I hate wasting food so I braced myself to eat the tomato and cucumber. Surprise! They were OK! Hurrah! I still struggled to buy a whole cucumber in the supermarket, though: it's as if my subconscious has decided it's poison! Weird.

OH had a phone appointment with PD nurse today. Another med has been added to the cocktail. Apparently it works alongside the tablet he takes 5 times a day and makes its effect last a bit longer. Hopefully, 🤞🏼it will help without any SEs (one possible SE is dyskinesia: sudden uncontrolled movement! He needs it to STOP the tremors FFS not have more!) That's now 21 tablets and 2 doses of liquid meds every day - eight prescription items. Thank goodness he doesn't have to pay!! 

Chocolate cake with mocha butter icing in the shed along with salted caramel bramley apple cake. You're welcome. 😁

CanonJane

You probably don't want to know that my lat flow tests arrived really promptly!! 😉

I hope you're feeling better anyway, and that the Taste Bugs return from their wanderings...

Scan done this morning  🤞 daughter and her GF fancied a bike ride yesterday afternoon so theydrove up to see us for a cuppa (and the melting moments I hurriedly made - some in the shed)

I've been knitting GF a chunky (super chunky)jumper but I have a feeling its too tight and I might have to pull it out and start again!😱 I have no idea how to sew on loose ends etc the is like rope- 3 strands of double knit twisted together. They're back Thursday I'll have finished it and loosely sewn it together with a different course wool to try it out 🤞🤞

katytc

Def better to have a supply just in case, hopefully side effects are now gone, sometimes you just can't win. It's incredibly sad dementia hopefully his wife can get him into doctors asap.

Glad your OH has not suffered too badly. Are you on the mend now? My taste has completely changed with food, it is sad but hopefully temporary. Try to eat things you fancy instead of your usual things...

Stayed in hotel for 2 nights and am at YDs now. First night jumped into bed had book, fizzy juice and bar of chocolate on bedside table, bliss. Had a drink of juice missed the table and juice went everywhere even managed to hit my phone. Had to get up and clean up arrgh. Thankfully missed the bed, woo hoo. 

Weather has been atrocious rain and super cold, yuck xx

JCJ

The LFTs finally arrived, on Saturday, ELEVEN days after I ordered them. The instructions state that the test is for use within 7 days of the onset of symptoms. Too late for either of us! I did a test but, as expected, it was - ve. OH didn't bother as his probably would be too and he finds them very unpleasant. Now we'll never know for certain if it was Covid. 🙄 However, at least I know I'm no longer infectious and, as I'm still feeling sooo tired and my taste has been affected, I'm sure that's what it is.

I find the taste thing really upsetting. Yes, I know, I should count my lucky stars that, thanks to the vaccinations, I suffered far less than many, many others. However, when one is in the habit of using food to cheer oneself up and it tastes wrong, it has the opposite effect! OH bought me some of my favourite chocolates: "T*******s (Rose spike + heavy weights) Continental". I had one but the after taste was horrible; made me want to cry. I've gone off tomatoes - which I used to love, especially cherry toms - and the cucumber I ate, instead, yesterday was shockingly, indescribably disgusting (OH said it was fine). I shall be scared to eat cucumber now. I have read that this post-Covid problem has lead to eating disorders in some people and I can understand why!!

The only things that taste OK are oven chips and lightly salted crisps (probably the salt that's attractive?) but I'm forcing myself to eat a balanced diet. I find the trick is to eat quickly so I don't register the taste. But that has a disastrous effect on my already dodgy digestion: more wind than the Mersey Tunnel!!! Apparently, for most people, this is a temporary situation: only 5% of those affected still have it after 6 months. Please don't let me be in that 5%! 😥

OH seems to be coping OK. He just has a cough. He actually seems better than he has for a while, as he can't do much anyway, and he's probably relieved that, after worrying about Covid for so long, now he's got it it's not that bad!! He has arranged a phone consultation with PD nurse, next week, to discuss further meds as he is aware that his PD has deteriorated. At least he hasn't had to be nagged to do it this time! 

2 weeks ago, I also ordered some new underwear, online, as my knicker drawer is a disgrace. I keep getting emails from them saying they are short-staffed in the warehouse but will send my order ASAP. How many warehouse operatives does it take to lift 5 pairs of pants in my size?! Don't answer that!! 😱

I made it into school yesterday. Hurrah! Not too much of a mess in the library as the two Y6 librarians I "trained" have been very enthusiastic. Bless them!

I took back the bear, that I mended, with a shell in his dungarees pocket because he's "been on his holidays". 😀 HT says we'll see how many of the kids notice. Apparently, he's been missed. 

Two hours in the library - mostly sitting down: I picked my jobs carefully -  drive home, shove some oven chips and fish cakes in the oven and veg in the microwave and that's me finished for the day! Rest today. Lunch with friend - postponed from 2 weeks ago - tomorrow and Knit & Natter on Friday. Hopefully. I bet the ladies think I'm not coming back as I went once and haven't been seen since! 

CanonJane

So sorry about NDN, but as you say, a relief in some ways.  We were taken out for dinner last week by our NDNs as a thank you for lifts etc etc.  He couldn't remember his pin number, tried a couple of times, was confused by the machine... his wife took over and sorted it but apparently when they got home he was insistent that there was something wrong with the card... I then got a message from their lovely niece asking what my view of the situation was....  I have actually known him for 50+ years as he conducted the youth choir I was in.  Very sad...

I hope you've got your test kit now - we keep spare boxes in the cupboard but most weeks I'm using 2 for going to the chemo suite.  Must order some more!  

I'm fully jabbed... 6th covid and now flu...   Had a lovely chat with my GP yesterday to get more "just in case" antibiotics but also to chat through the difficulty of knowing whether or not to take them.   I took them in the end because I felt unwell, though the arm was not screaming, and evidently that was the right decision.  He's put repeat antibiotics on my authorised/routine prescription list, so if I need them again I don't need to talk to a doctor.  Good man!

The antibiotics have brought back the thrush of course 😏

Sounds like we need to scatter sleep fairies fairly wide tonight....

Cream tea in the shed....

katytc

Hahaha Jane, what's that consultant like?? Great to have a laugh and leave everyone else quizzical makes it funnier, glad your arm has improved and hopefully you are still on the up.

Oh geez JCJ that's ridiculous and annoying your order taking soooooo long, how is your OH?

Shame regarding NDN, sad times.

Am still sleeping away but last night it backfired as slept so long in the afternoon couldn't sleep last night arrgh, hopefully that's me done with napping..........

Into town later, couple of things to pick up am just hoping rain stays away.

It's super cold here today, brrrrrrrrrr. xx

JCJ

Forgot to say: email from online chemist. They have finally packaged my order (because I filled in that form yesterday?) and I will hear from the courier, about delivery, once they have it. Not anything to fo with the postal strike then! 

To be fair, they must be extremely busy: apparently millions of people currently have Covid....and that's just the ones who have managed to get hold of tests in time to test +ve!! 😷

JCJ

Glad you could have a laugh with the consultant, Jane, and that your arm is improved today.

NDN died early this morning. Very sad but a huge relief that her son and daughter don't have to continue to see her deteriorating and getting increasingly distressed.

I don't know if that will affect the house sale...either legally: probate etc, or now they no longer need the funds to pay care costs. 

I went to the farm shop. Loaded car with shopping. Felt awful. Thought I was hungry so went into cafe. By the time my food came, I felt so bad I was contemplating asking them to pack it up so I could take it away. Managed to eat it  - without any enjoyment -not the fault of the food: it was fine, just me. Drove home via collecting OH and collapsed back onto the Fed Up Of Feeling Cr*p bench.

Mmmm donuts! Presumably, in Benchland they will taste as delicious as they should? 🍩😄